• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 1,666 Views, 65 Comments

Let it Rain - Metool Bard



If somepony gives their love to you, be sure to give it back. Poor Thunderlane is about to learn that the hard way as two mares compete for his attention.

  • ...
7
 65
 1,666

Method to Mad Love

"Oh, wow. That last maneuver looked pretty intense. Did you learn how to do anything like that at the Academy, Cloudy?"

Cloudchaser said nothing, but continued looking through a pair of binoculars at something that obviously wasn't the Wonderbolts. Flitter sighed.

"Cloudy, you've got to be the only pony here not watching this," she said. "C'mon, you're missing a great show!"

Cloudchaser gave her sister a sideways glance. "Did you forget why we're here, Flit?"

"Well, I'm here because I bought the darn tickets in the first place," said Flitter with a shrug. "And believe me, they were pretty expensive. I'd be stupid not to come here."

Cloudchaser heaved an exasperated sigh. "Stop joking around, Flit. This is serious."

"I, wasn't joking."

"Good, 'cause it wasn't funny," said Cloudchaser curtly, looking back through her binoculars.

"Oh, for pony's sake, would you put those away?" Flitter groaned. "You look ridiculous."

"I need to see what Thunderlane is doing with Raindrops," said Cloudchaser.

Flitter took a look across the stadium and raised an eyebrow. "I can see 'em just fine. They look like they're just sitting there and talking. And hey, you know what else they're doing? Watching the show."

"Shh~! Don't distract me!" Cloudchaser hissed. "I see them laughing."

"Well, maybe one of them told a funny joke," said Flitter. "And before you ask, I highly doubt it was about you."

"I didn't say anything," said Cloudchaser, giving Flitter a dirty look. "Rainy might be stealing Thunderlane from me, but he's still my friend. He wouldn't laugh at me like that."

"Yes, I know that," said Flitter. "Which is why you stalking him is all the more baffling."

"I already told you, Flit. I'm not stalking him," said Cloudchaser firmly.

"Right, and I guess those binoculars are just for bird watching," said Flitter, rolling her eyes.

Cloudchaser sighed. "You really don't get it, do you, Flit?"

"No, and I'm not sure I want to at this point," Flitter said frankly. "You keep saying that love is this wonderful thing, but seeing you act completely bonkers isn't really making a compelling case."

Cloudchaser shook her head. "Tsk tsk tsk. That's, really sad, Flit. I truly pity the stallion who tries to win your heart," she said, looking back through her binoculars.

"Cloudy, don't try to turn this around and make it about me. You're pathetic enough as it is," sighed Flitter.

"I wish you'd stop putting words into my mouth," said Cloudchaser, still looking through the binoculars. "I'm just trying to teach you about love."

"Well, either you're a lousy teacher, or love isn't what it's cracked up to be," said Flitter. "All I know is that when I find a special somepony, I'm not gonna allow myself to be jealous of every mare that makes eye contact with him."

Cloudchaser's eyes went wide, and then quickly narrowed as she turned back to Flitter. "What's that supposed to mean?" she growled.

Flitter took a deep breath. "Alright, this probably isn't what you want to hear, but somepony has to say it, and it might as well be me. Cloudy, I think you're just jealous of Raindrops."

Cloudchaser paused for a moment, and then chuckled. "Oh, Flitter. Your naïveté may be unhealthy, but that doesn't stop it from being adorable."

Flitter blinked in confusion. "I'm sorry?"

"Flitter, I'm not jealous of Raindrops," said Cloudchaser. "Nope, not one bit."

"Uh-huh," said Flitter, clearly not believing her.

"No, really. I may be mad at Raindrops for trying to take Thunderlane away from me and want nothing more than to punch her lights out, but I'm not jealous of her," said Cloudchaser with a laugh, turning her attention back to Thunderlane. "That's just silly."

"Sillier than you spying on her and Thunderlane with a pair of binoculars while claiming that you're not stalking them?" Flitter asked rhetorically.

"No comment," said Cloudchaser. "Now, would you please stop distracting me? When Raindrops makes her move, I want to see it so I can..."

"YEAH!"

Cloudchaser's train of thought was derailed by a telltale bellow from the cloud above. Her eye twitched.

"Oh, for crying out loud!" she groaned, looking up. "Snowflake!"

Bulk Biceps peered over the side of his cloud.

"Huh? Oh, hey Cloudchaser!" he said with a friendly wave. "You enjoying the show? I know I am."

"I'm well aware of that," Cloudchaser said dryly. "Now, you mind keeping it down? I'm trying to concentrate."

Bulk gave his lead pony a quizzical look. "On, what? The show? You thinking about trying to pull of those maneuvers or something? 'Cause I'm game for that."

"It's none of your beeswax," Cloudchaser spat, looking back at Thunderlane.

Flitter sighed, and turned to Bulk. "I'll explain later, Snowflake," she said. She then mouthed, "It's about Thunderlane." Bulk paused for a moment, and then gave a nod of comprehension and a wink before turning back to the performance.

All was silent for a time after that, with Cloudchaser still looking at Thunderlane and Raindrops through her binoculars and silently stewing. Then, all of a sudden, she perked up.

"Huh? What happened?" asked Flitter.

Cloudchaser turned to Flitter, a sultry smirk spread across her face. "Flitter, I just got an idea. This is sure to win Thunderlane back."

Flitter couldn't help but feel nervous. "This better not be going where I think it's going," she said.

"Oh, don't be like that. It's the perfect plan," said Cloudchaser slyly. "If Raindrops wants to play hardball, then we'll play hardball. Of course, I'll need to bring Snowflake up to speed."

"Okay, it is," said Flitter, smacking her forehead with her hoof. "I thought you were insane before, Cloudy, but this is beyond ludicrous."

"Why do you have to be such a pessimist?" asked Cloudchaser, folding her forelegs. "I didn't even say what the plan was."

"Stop me if I get something wrong," said Flitter. "You plan on making it look like you're going out with Snowflake so that Thunderlane will get jealous and try to win you back."

Cloudchaser blinked in surprise. "Wow. I wouldn't have expected a love newbie like you to catch on so quickly. Maybe there's hope for you yet."

Flitter smacked her forehead again. "Cloudy, just because you're jealous of Raindrops doesn't mean Thunderlane's gonna be jealous of Snowflake."

"I'm not jealous!" Cloudchaser yelled defensively. "I mean, look at her, Flit! What does she have that I don't?!"

"Well, her sanity and rationalism, for starters," said Flitter brusquely.

"Flitter, love isn't supposed to be rational!" Cloudchaser exclaimed.

"Ah, so you admit it," said Flitter with a smirk.

"Admit what?"

"That you're being irrational. And because of that, you're obsessing over Thunderlane a lot more than usual and acting all paranoid just because he's talking to another mare."

Cloudchaser heaved a great sigh. "Flitter, listen. This isn't just some filly crush we're talking about here. This is real love. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be acting like this. Thunderlane means so much to me, and I don't want to let him go. I can't let him go. You understand?"

Flitter paused for a moment, and then gave Cloudchaser a somber nod. "Yeah. I think I understand."

"Good," said Cloudchaser. "So while I sort things out with Snowflake, what I'll need you to do is organize a party at Sugarcube Corner."

"Okay, why?"

"It's part of my plan to win Thunderlane back, of course," said Cloudchaser.

"But, what do I tell Pinkie Pie?"

"I dunno, make something up. Tell her it's a Wonderbolt Cadet party or something."

"Isn't it a bit late for that?"

"Well, you know Pinkie. She doesn't need much of an excuse to throw a party."

Realizing that this wasn't getting anywhere, Flitter relented. "Alright. I'll see what I can do."

"Thanks. I knew I could count on you," said Cloudchaser, nuzzling Flitter's cheek. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

She then turned her attention back to Thunderlane. Flitter shook her head.

I take it back, Cloudy. You haven't gone insane, she thought. You're just in denial. I know you're jealous of Raindrops for being Thunderlane's wingpony. Why won't you just admit it and stop hurting yourself like this?