• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 1,665 Views, 65 Comments

Let it Rain - Metool Bard



If somepony gives their love to you, be sure to give it back. Poor Thunderlane is about to learn that the hard way as two mares compete for his attention.

  • ...
7
 65
 1,665

A Wishy-Washy Confession

The next morning, Raindrops was awoken by a familiar thud outside her door. With a yawn, she pulled herself out of bed and shambled over to see who it was. Sure enough, lying on the ground before her was a grey pegasus with a mailbag slung over her shoulder. She smiled.

"'Morning, Derpy," she said, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Derpy Hooves quickly picked herself up and shook herself. "Oh! Good morning, 'Drops!" she said cheerfully. "Sorry you had to see that. You know how I am before I have my morning muffin."

"All too well," said Raindrops with a sleepy chuckle. "Um, you do realize that there's no mail on Sundays, right?"

Derpy blinked. "It's Sunday? Oh muffins, I knew I was forgetting something," she muttered. "Oh well, I might as well give you your mail early."

She then reached into her mailbag and pulled out a bunch of letters. When she looked up to give Raindrops her mail, she tilted her head in confusion. "Wow, 'Drops. You don't look so good."

"Huh?" said Raindrops, giving Derpy a confused look of her own. "What are you talking about? I feel *yawn* fine."

"No, I've seen you fine," said Derpy. "Yesterday, you were fine. Today, you look like you just got out of bed."

"Mmm. Maybe because I did," Raindrops mumbled.

The confusion on Derpy's face suddenly gave way to guilt. "Oh. Um, I woke you up, didn't I?"

"No, no. It's not your fault, Derpy," said Raindrops, shaking her head. "It's me. I had trouble sleeping last night."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that," said Derpy. "Wanna talk about it?"

Raindrops cast her eyes downward and sheepishly brushed the back of her foreleg. "Um, I dunno. It's, kinda personal."

"Raindrops, you're my best friend in the whole wide world," said Derpy earnestly. "If something's bugging you, I wanna know."

"I'm, grateful for that, Derpy. Really, I am," said Raindrops. "But, don't you have something else to do?"

"Well, now I know it's Sunday, so nope!" said Derpy with a wide grin. "C'mon, fly with me a bit. I'll even share my morning muffin with you."

"I'm still not sure about this, Derpy. I mean..."

"It's lemon poppyseed~. Your favorite~."

To emphasize her point, Derpy took the muffin out of her bag and waved it in front of Raindrops's glazed eyes. Raindrops sighed. One thing she knew about Derpy was that once her mind was set on something, there was very little that could be done to dissuade her.

"Alright, fine," she relented. "I, guess I need to get this off my chest, anyway."

"Yay!" Derpy cheered. With that, the two pegasi took to the skies and Derpy broke her muffin in half.

"So, what's on your mind, 'Drops?" said Derpy as she gave Raindrops half of her muffin.

Raindrops paused. "Well, it's about the Wonderbolt Academy."

Derpy raised an eyebrow. "You're still worried about the incident with the piano? I thought you said Spitfire didn't take any issue with that."

"It's not about the piano, Derpy," said Raindrops irritably. "And I thought we agreed never to talk about that again."

"Oh, right. Sorry," said Derpy sheepishly. "I keep forgetting."

"It's fine," said Raindrops with a sigh. "So, anyway, you remember how I told you that I was paired up with Thunderlane?"

"Yeah, I remember that," said Derpy, taking a bite out of her muffin. "What about it?"

"Well, there's something I, neglected to tell you yesterday," said Raindrops, fiddling with the muffin in her hooves.

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"I, think I like him."

Derpy gave Raindrops a blank stare (in the loosest form of staring). "So? I like you, too. Why is that keeping you up at night?"

"No, you don't understand, Derpy," said Raindrops. "I, like him."

Derpy blinked. "I, like you, too. What's there not to understand?"

"No, Derpy," Raindrops groaned. "I mean I lo—"

She stopped herself mid-sentence and began to blush. "Oh, I can't say it~!"

"Can't say what?" said Derpy, thoroughly out of the loop. "You're not making any sense, 'Drops."

"I-I'm trying~!" cried Raindrops. "O-okay. Let me see if I can put this in a way that won't cause me to die of embarrassment."

Derpy took a look around and shrugged. "I'm the only one here, 'Drops. You can say whatever you want to me."

"It's, not that easy, Derpy," said Raindrops. "See, I think I have a— No, I can't even say that."

"I'm, really not following you here, 'Drops," said Derpy, rubbing the side of her head. "What are you trying to say?"

Raindrops took a deep breath. "Okay, let's try this. When I was first paired with Thunderlane, I wasn't sure what to think. I mean, it's not that I didn't like him or anything; I just didn't know why Spitfire thought we would make a good team."

"But you did make a good team," said Derpy.

"Much to my surprise," said Raindrops, staring down at the muffin in her hooves. "And even more surprising, I started feeling, things. Like butterflies-in-your-stomach kinda things. I-I don't know, something about being so close to him made me feel, happy. Like I was on top of the world."

Derpy nodded slowly. "Hmm. I think I'm starting to get the idea," she said ambiguously. "But, why is that keeping you up?"

"Several reasons," said Raindrops glumly. "One, he's my lead pony. I'm not sure that kind of relationship is allowed in the Wonderbolts."

"Well, you'd know better than I would," said Derpy with a shrug. "I mean, I'm not a Wonderbolt."

Raindrops sighed. "Let's, just move on. The second thing is that I'm not sure if he likes me back."

"Alright, now you're just being silly," said Derpy, folding her forelegs. "Why would anypony not like you, 'Drops? Tons of ponies like you! I like you!"

"Yeah, but it's not the same," said Raindrops. "Derpy, you know the difference between liking somepony and really liking them, right?"

"I, guess?" said Derpy. "I mean, Carrot Top's my friend, but you're my best friend."

"Derpy, this goes beyond best friend," said Raindrops.

"Like super best friend?"

Raindrops smacked her face with her hoof. Derpy wasn't a dumb pony by any stretch of the imagination, but there were a few things that kinda flew over her head.

"No, Derpy," she sighed. "I'm talking about lo-l-it rhymes with dove, okay?!"

It took a few seconds, but Derpy managed to put two and two together as a wide smile formed on her face.

"Raindrops, are you meaning to tell me that you've fallen in love?" she asked.

"Shhh~! Do you want all of Equestria to know?!" Raindrops hissed frantically.

Derpy chuckled. "What's the big deal, 'Drops? I think this is a great thing!"

"Keep it down!" said Raindrops, flailing her forelegs. "I don't want anypony else to know!"

Derpy tilted her head. "Why not? I know when I finally find a special somepony, I'm gonna tell everypony about it."

"Well, that's because you're you. You wear your heart on your wings," said Raindrops.

Derpy looked over her wings, becoming a bit puzzled. "Nnnnnnnno, I'm pretty sure it's still in my body where it belongs."

Raindrops let out an exasperated groan. "Look, Derpy. I lo-really like Thunderlane, but I can't tell him."

Derpy raised an eyebrow. "Why not? I know you, 'Drops. You're usually not a shy pony."

"I-it's not that," said Raindrops, to which Derpy gave her a look. "Okay, it is that. I can't help it. Every time I talk about my feelings for Thuderlane, my tongue just decides to tie itself into knots. And I fear that if I tried to tell him, my heart would burst. I-I don't know what to do, Derpy."

Derpy placed a hoof to her muzzle and pondered for a while. Suddenly, her expression brightened. "I've got it!"

"Huh?" said Raindrops.

"I'm gonna help you, 'Drops!"

Raindrops blinked. "H-help me?"

"Sure! What are best friends for?" said Derpy. "If you really love Thunderlane, you should let him know."

"B-but I can't..."

"Sure you can! You just need some advice!" said Derpy, placing a foreleg around Raindrops. "Now then, I'm gonna go drop off my mailbag back at home. In the meantime, you go ask Thunderlane if you two can do some Wonderbolt training this afternoon; just the two of you."

"But, what if he has other plans?"

"It's a Sunday afternoon, 'Drops. What pony makes plans for a Sunday afternoon?"

"I dunno, Derpy..."

Derpy gripped Raindrops's shoulders and looked her straight in the eye (the best she could). "Raindrops, I want you to be happy, and you're not gonna be happy keeping your feelings all locked up inside. It's not healthy, y'know?"

"But..."

"Trust me, 'Drops. I've never steered you wrong before, have I? Besides that incident we promised never to talk about again, I mean."

"W-well, when you put it that way, no."

"There. So just tell Thunderlane you wanna do some one-on-one training with him, and I'll handle the rest."

"How?"

"You'll see," said Derpy with a wink. With that, she flew off. Raindrops let out a deep sigh as she nibbled on the muffin Derpy gave her.

I hope she knows what she's doing, she thought. Heck, I hope I know what I'm doing. Ooh, I've never been so nervous before in my life. I hope everything turns out okay...