• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 828 Views, 29 Comments

Abstract Helps Kyo Date Gilda - AbstractThought



When Kyo Kusagani has a chance to meet Gilda, he'll need Abstract Thought's help to find her and score a date with her. Can Kyo win her heart, or will he crash and burn?

  • ...
16
 29
 828

Chapter 6-Food for Thought

Well, that spa lesson was a bust. As if weren’t bad enough that I got carried away and injured the lovely spa lady, I had to pay extra for compensation and I never got the chance to convince the spa to add more magazines to its collection. Just great. What if I screwed up like that with Gilda? She might tear me limb from limb, or worse, not want to be my girlfriend!

I trudged back home with a figurative raincloud over my head. Shame there wasn’t a literal raincloud up there; the last time one was there, I took it for myself and kept it as a spare for when the shower was broken. Being a pegasus rocks! Too bad it couldn’t cheer me up now. Oh well, maybe video games could.

My train of thought was derailed when I saw Abstract standing outside my house, looking around restlessly. As soon as he saw me approaching, he smiled and trotted over to me. “Yo, Kyo! How’d your massage lesson go?”

“Uh, well,” I stammered, “it went, uh, I certainly learned a lesson I’ll never forget.” I flashed him what I hoped was a convincing fake smile.

Abstract gave me a hard look. “You screwed up, didn’t you?”

Dang it, how is he so observant? That’s one of the disadvantages of having such a smart friend; you can’t hide anything from him.

“Well, I might have accidentally broken a bone or two on the pony I was practicing my massaging on,” I admitted, “but other than that, of course not! Sheesh, you could stand to trust me a little more.”

“Um, okay…” he said, eyebrow raised. “Anyway, I have some news that’s sure to cheer you up!”

“Is it insurance against possible lawsuits made by ponies you may have injured?” I inquired. “Uh, not that I’d need that for any reason!” I added, placing my fake smile on my face again.

“Uh, no, it’s better.” A grin spread across Abstract’s face as he announced: “I found out where Gilda went!”

“Wha – really?!” I burst out in excitement. “Where?!”

“I got word that Gilda and Trixie had recently left the Crystal Empire and were headed to Appleloosa to try their luck there!”

“Appleloosa! Yes!” I squealed. “Wait, where’s Appleloosa?”

“It’s a settlement in the desert,” he explained, “It’s about a day away by train.”

“Ooh, the desert? How exotic,” I replied.

“Yeah, so, I was gonna go get train tickets and work out a deal with my boss so I can go with you,” he informed me.

“You’re coming with me?” I asked in surprise.

“Well, sure!” he affirmed with a smile, “What kind of friend would I be if I wasn’t there to support you in getting the griffon of your dreams? Plus, I’ve always wanted to travel, and this would be the perfect opportunity!”

“Aw, thanks! You’re the best friend a guy could ask for!” I exclaimed as I gave Abstract a tight hug.

“Ooh! Easy, Kyo, you wouldn’t want to break any more bones, would you?” he said in a strained voice.

“Oh, sorry!” I released him and trotted into the house. “I’m just so excited! There’s so much to do, so much to look forward to! I gotta get ready!” I dashed into the kitchen and started rummaging through the fridge for the goods.

“What are you doing in the kitchen?” I heard Abstract ask from the living room.

“Oh, I’m just getting some food I had prepared for my first romantic dinner with her,” I replied as I dug out some containers from the back. “See? I’ve got some breadsticks for the appetizer, some steak and potatoes for our entrée, some cola for the drink,” I then went to a cupboard and pulled out a box of Gilda’s favorite treats, “and for dessert, some vanilla lemon drops!”

“Mmm, sounds good!” Abstract said as he entered the kitchen. “Wait, what’s steak?”

“Oh, it’s, uh, a special griffon delicacy!” I answered nervously.

“Ooh, now that sounds exotic! Let me see!”

“Uh, you don’t wanna see that!” I yelped as I moved in front of the plastic container the steak was in. “It’s not that interesting, really!”

“Oh, come on,” he replied dismissively as he used his magic to levitate the container to him. Dang, I always forget about that! “I’m sure it’s quite…”

His voice trailed off and his pupils shrunk as he saw the contents of the container.

“Kyo…”

“Yeah?”

“I…is that…MEAT?!”

“Uh…kinda,” I admitted.

“Oh, dear Celestia!” he cried out, dropping the container in disgust. Fortunately, I was able to grab the container before it hit the floor and spilled anything.

“Hey, careful with that!”

“Kyo! What is wrong with you?!” he snapped. “Serving dead animal?! What is wrong with you?!” As he spoke, he generated an image of roadkill on a plate with an apple in his mouth. I wanted to laugh so badly, but I didn’t think he’d take it well; I don’t think he was making the image on purpose to get a laugh out of me.

“Look, I find it gross too, but griffons are fond of meat, and I really want to get on Gilda’s good side!” I explained frantically, “I can’t let a little thing like enjoying eating the flesh of animals get in the way of that! You can understand, right?”

“Well…I suppose if you think it’s necessary,” he said reluctantly.

“Thanks, A.T.” I sighed with relief. “Don’t worry, I’m not gonna eat any myself. Heck, I felt like barfing several times when I cooked the steak over a year ago, but I knew I couldn’t give up! My love with Gilda depended on it!”

Abstract giggled at my dramatic display. “You’re certainly devoted.” He suddenly frowned. “Wait a second, did you say ‘over a year ago’?”

“Yep!” I said proudly. “I’ve had the meal prepared all that time, waiting for when I could share it with my beloved!”

“And you weren’t worried that the food would spoil or anything after all that time?” he questioned, looking sickened again.

“Abstract, they were in tightly sealed plastic containers all that time,” I groaned, “The store clerk said that they were guaranteed to keep my food fresh or my money back. Now would you quit worrying? I’ve got it all figured out, trust me!”

“Well, whatever you think is best,” he conceded, “I’m gonna go take care of train tickets and getting time out of town. See ya in a bit!”

“Okay, see ya!” As Abstract left, I headed upstairs to take a shower and make sure I was lookin’ good for my beloved Gilda. Tomorrow I’d finally get to see her, make my moves, and make her mine!

End of Part 6