• Published 9th Aug 2013
  • 827 Views, 29 Comments

Abstract Helps Kyo Date Gilda - AbstractThought



When Kyo Kusagani has a chance to meet Gilda, he'll need Abstract Thought's help to find her and score a date with her. Can Kyo win her heart, or will he crash and burn?

  • ...
16
 29
 827

Chapter 1-Abstract Thought: An Introduction

Abstract Helps Kyo Date Gilda
by Abstract Thought

Hello, there! How should I best introduce myself? I guess I’ll start with the basics. My name is Abstract Thought, but you can call me Abstract. I have a red body, a blue mane, and green eyes that I wear glasses over. My cutie mark is a thought cloud, which represents my special talent of thinking. I’m always thinking about something, whether it’s the nature of the universe or whatever mundane thing happens to catch my interest. Whenever I get curious about something, which is practically all the time, I like to ask questions. A lot of questions. It’s rather telling that right after getting my cutie mark, I was asking everyone around me everything I could think of regarding my cutie mark, the circumstances that led to me getting it, and cutie marks in general. My habit of ask first, consider feelings later has gotten me in trouble more than a few times. Despite this, I find it easy to make friends; I’m friendly to just about everypony and I rarely have a mean thing to say to others.

I work as a writer for the local newspaper, where I write a “thought column” every day that basically involves me writing my thoughts on various things and offering discussion among those who read them. It’s not a lucrative job, but it pays well enough for me to have a stable funding for a modest house.

I’ve always had a bit of a unique special ability: the ability to make images of what I’m thinking using my magic. Sort of like thought clouds brought to life, you know? It really helps when ponies don’t know what I’m talking about, plus it’s a great way to entertain others, like I can make little movies for others to see. However, it’s not perfect; sometimes, I create images even when I don’t mean to, usually when I’m deep in thought or excited emotionally. Imagine how you’d feel having to be mindful of what you think for risk of others seeing it when you don’t want them to. It just goes to show how little I understand how the world around me works. Like, how come I have this ability and others don’t? Is it cause my parents named me Abstract Thought? How did they know I’d be such a thoughtful pony? Come to think of it, how do so many ponies have names that match up with what they are like and/or what they do for a living? Does everypony have subconscious premonition or something? How can we learn to use it more consciously?

Sorry, I got off track there. See what I mean about me asking a lot of questions? Sometimes I don’t know when to stop! I wonder how those who hear all those questions at once learn to deal with them. Oh well, a thought for another time.

So, yeah, my life generally isn’t very exciting. I’m not much of an adventure seeker or anything. However, there was one crazy episode I remember experiencing recently that had to do with my best friend Kyo. Would you like to know the details? I’ll assume yes cause it’d be hard to respond to a person that you’re reading about through a story.

So anyway, it started like this…

----------

It had been a good day at work. I had written and submitted an article to Ponyville Daily where I speculated on why some ponies had the same cutie marks as other ponies (my theory was that whatever magical force makes cutie marks finds it difficult to make unique cutie marks for everypony, so sometimes it phones it in and just uses duplicates for ponies with vaguely similar talents). I rarely had any reason to stick around the newspaper office after my daily column was done, so I decided to head over to my best friend’s house and hang out with him.

I arrived at an unassuming two-story house and knocked on the front door. “Just a sec!” a voice called from the other side. After about ten seconds, the voice said, “Okay, I’m coming!” and I heard hoofsteps scurry toward the door. The door then opened and I was greeted by a blue pegasus with a brown mane, brown eyes, and a white band tied around his head. “Abstract, hey!” he cried jovially, “Glad to see you stopped by!”

“Kyoooooo!” I responded as I gave him a hoofbump, “How’s it going?”

“It’s going good!” Kyo replied, “Sorry for the wait, I was in the middle of a combo when you knocked, and I had to make sure I nailed the winning blow!”

“It’s alright,” I reassured him, “I know how much focus fighting games can take.”

“Yeah, they’re such a rush, aren’t they?” Kyo said excitedly, “How about we stop standing here and play a match together?”

“Sounds good to me!” I declared as I entered his humble abode.

Kyo is quite the character. He’s been fond of video games and Neighponese culture ever since he was a colt. He likes fighting and shooting games most of all, and he’s been practicing them to the point that he can make a living out of playing at video game tournaments (well, that and financial support from his parents). He also gets excited about cool things and people with cool attitudes, especially a certain griffon…but I’ll get to that later.

I first met Kyo in the market several months ago. I was hoping to get some peppers for a pasta recipe I wanted to make, but none of the vendors there seemed to know what peppers were. I used my thought magic to show them images of the peppers I needed as I saw them in the cookbook, only for the vendors to respond that they didn’t have anything that looked like what I was showing them. Apparently peppers were rare in this part of Equestria. I was about to head home in resignation when I saw a blue pegasus fly up to me excitedly.

“Hey, hold up a sec!” the pegasus called out. He landed next to me and said, “Is it just me, or did you just use comic book powers?”

“Huh?” I said in surprise, “What comic book?”

“I could have sworn I saw a thought cloud over your head like in comic books,” the pegasus replied, “but I guess it was just my imagination playing tricks on me. That happens sometimes.”

“Oh, that!” I realized, “No, that wasn’t your imagination. It’s just a spell I know how to use. Take a look.” I then lit up my horn and thought up an image of the pony standing before me.

“Whoa, that’s me!” the pegasus exclaimed, “Hey, can you make me do what I’m doing now?” he asked, waving his right forehoof in front of me.

“Uh, sure,” I said, willing the thought pony to imitate the real one like a mirror image and wave its left forehoof.

“That is so cool!” the pegasus gushed, hopping up and down as his thought counterpart did likewise, “How do you do that?”

“To tell the truth, I’m not really sure,” I admitted, “I just activate my magic while thinking about something, and I project an image. That’s it, really.”

“Weird,” the pegasus said as he stuck out his tongue and made funny faces.

“Yeah, I guess that’s just one of Equestria’s many mysteries, huh?” I replied, “Can I stop now?”

“Aw, fine,” the pegasus sighed. I stopped my magic and the thought bubble faded away.

I giggled and said, “My name’s Abstract Thought. What’s yours?”

“I’m Kyo,” the pegasus responded, “Kyo Kusagani.”

“Keyo…Koosa…gon-y?” I asked in confusion, “What kind of name is that?”

“Well, what kind of name is Abstract Thought?” Kyo retorted.

“Fair enough,” I conceded.

“Hey, you wanna hang out at my place?” Kyo offered.

“Sure!” I answered, “Just let me put my groceries away and I’ll see you there.”

“Okay, see ya!”

I returned to my house feeling pleased. A new friend was definitely a fair trade-off for some peppers. I had just finished put my groceries on the kitchen table when I heard a knock on my front door. I walked to the door and opened it to find Kyo standing there saying, “Hey, Abstract!”

“Kyo?” I said in surprise, “I thought we agreed to meet at your place.”

“We did,” Kyo explained, “but I just realized that you don’t know where my place is, so I decided to stalk you so I could tell you.”

“Uh, stalk?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Oops,” he responded sheepishly, “that was a poor choice of words.”

I giggled again and said, “You’re pretty funny. I’m really looking forward to hanging out with you.”

“Sweet!” Kyo cheered, “Come on, I’ll show you where I live.”

And that’s how it all started. Starting that day, he’d frequently invite me over to hang out and play some video games at his house. (I never invited him to my house because there wasn’t much there apart from books and papers and such.) Today, we were playing a game of Fighting Princess Zilch 3, in which two players played as various princesses and beat each other up. Kyo’s fighter of choice was Princess Grizelda, the griffon princess, while I didn’t really have a favorite and just chose various characters to experiment. He was a much better player than I was, as he had a lot of practice and I could never get the hang of fighting games, but I still found it fun to play them with him. After I lost for the third time that day, Kyo said, “Hey Abstract, I just remembered something important I wanted to tell you!”

“Sure, what is it?” I asked, turning to him.

“The most awesome thing happened to me yesterday!” he cried excitedly.

“Really? What was it?”

“I saw her!”

“Her? You mean…”

“Gilda…” he moaned, a dreamy smile on his face.

End of Part 1

Author's Note:

Here's my latest story in the works. I hope you enjoy it!
For those of you unaware, KyoKusagani1999 is a commenter on Equestria Daily who's a huge fan of Gilda. We became close friends shortly after I got into the fandom, and I got this crazy idea to create a story where my OC helps set his OC up with Gilda, an idea that has his full approval. I hope to make it as entertaining as I can, so feel free to offer critiques.
Thanks for reading!