• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 1,503 Views, 73 Comments

YogLabs: Quest for the Golden Horseshoe - Prisoner 24601



Stuck in Equestria, with two of their friends dead, Simon, Sjin, and Jesse Cox venture into the wilderness to find the mythical Golden Horseshoe. [Sequel to YogLabs: Dimensional Portal]

  • ...
5
 73
 1,503

Chapter 15

Simon looked after the ponies he had grown to care for not just as their "General", but as more of a fatherly figure to them all. Despite what he may have told others, Simon had always wanted a little child to sculpt in his own image. "after all" he thought, "The more little Simons out there the better!" But he had never been a fan of the infant and baby stage, and had decided that having children who already know how to take care of themselves is where it's really at.

Simon looked over the CMC like a father, and after the other ponies like a very responsible older brother who's word you know you should always listen to, because he's been around the block, and he knows what's up. That was Simon. And his friends made use of his advice more often than not. It was good to see.

The only downside to this new life Simon had adopted was the constant marching and pseudo-military actions. Every other day, Jesse, Sjin, and Archaenon, who appeared to be accepted very warmly by Sjin especially, would appear on the balcony of the camp, sending out more scout parties to look for the area Celestia described the Horseshoe being: "We don't know the exact location of the Horseshoe, but I would suggest Neighagara falls."

So far, the scouts hadn't reported anything about any falls, and a few weeks after they had moved safely into the overlook camp, one scout reported seeing an optimal place for a new camp, and elected to take point there, and see what recourses and landscapes were abound in that area.

But in the peace between these scout developments and training exercises, Simon got to work, making sure this momentary respite was well-spent. He would do whatever whacky ideas the Cutie Mark Crusaders would come up with with them, he would talk to his human friends, and then chat for hours on end with his pony friends. The ones he valued more as a family than anything.

One day in particular, a day after the barricades had been moved forward to accommodate the growing amount of Changelings spotted in the areas, and Simon had taken the rest of the evening off in his tent. He sat down on the still-uncomfortable-but-now-used-to-enough-that-it-seems-faily-mediocre bed, pulled out an old WoW book he had never gotten around to reading, and got himself comfortable for the evening. Until he had a visitor.

At first, Simon ignored the clearing of the throat outside, thinking it was only a few ponies trying to talk, with one who's throat was a little scratchy. Totally understandable. because of this, Simon never actually got up to see who it was, until they stuck their pony head through the tent door. Rainbow Dash looked at him impatiently, and said, "Well?! Are you gonna let me in?"

Simon was up in a flash, saying, "Oh, of course, Rainbow." He quickly moved to the door and undid the little knots keeping it closed.

Rainbow Dash came in once the flap was undone, and Simon sat back down on the bed. "So what is it, Rainbow Dash?" He asked, a little unnerved having her in here, seeing as how he was only wearing his (only slightly) white pants.

Rainbow Dash seemed uncomfortable, and kept rubbing the back of her neck with her hoof, "Well, Simon, the thing is..."

Simon sighed, "Oh, god, Rainbow, don't say "The thing is"."

Rainbow looked at him, "Why? Does it mean I'm going to say something bad?"

"No, it just..." Simon stopped, remembering the sad fact that nota single pony in existence has ever listened to a YoGPoD. "Nevermind. What were you saying?"

Rainbow fumbled a bit for words, "Well, you see, Simon... Ever since you left, everything's been really tough around here... for all of us. And, I know you still may not see it yet, but we really value you! You're as much a part of our entourage as Twilight, or even me!" She stumbled a bit, and rubbed her neck again. Simon slowly nodded, understanding what she was trying to say, but not seeing the necessity of saying it. Rainbow Dash sighed, and let her hooves go limper as she gave up being so tense. "Okay, I'm not a gal for words. So, just..."

Then Rainbow Dash did something Simon wouldn't have ever expected. Ever. Something completely uncharacteristic for somepony as awesome, as impenetrable, as secure as Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash, throwing caution to the wind and doing something she'd never normally do, put her hoof over Simon's shoulder, leaned in close, and kissed him on the forehead.

She backed away pretty quickly after that, her cheeks already becoming red. Simon simply sat there, dumbfounded. "Eh..." He stammered for words.

Rainbow looked at him with a stern look. "You will not say anything to anypony about that."

Simon nodded slowly, still a little confused by what his friend just did, "Never." He confirmed.

Rainbow nodded, turned, and left, eager to get out of that awkward conversation.

Simon watched her go, and as soon as she was out of ear and eyeshot, he squealed to himself. "Well, that was unexpected, but not... unwanted." He smiled, and laid himself back in his bed, bringing the comforter on top of him, forgetting about his book, and eagerly got to dreaming.

********

"Are you sure? We shouldn't wake him." Said one of the changelings, disguised as a passerby pony, to his friend, disguised as Archaenon.

The Archaenon mimic replied, "I'm sure. So what if he wakes? We can't do anything."

The pony changeling nodded, and looked at the fat figure in the bed. "How do we proceed?"

Archaenon-Changeling thought it over long and hard. "Just uh... Roll him over, put it under him, then grab the corners, and tie. Right?"

"Easier said than done, my friend." The other mimic replied. He grabbed one shoulder, and the other grabbed the thigh. They both worked together to move the man onto his belly, and they slid a canvas bag under the body. They proceeded to roll the man back over onto it. By this time, the man woke up slightly, looking at the two.

He got wide eyes, "What the hell do you think you're-"

He was interrupted by the Archaenon-clone, who whacked him upside the head with his hoof. "See? He woke up, and I had everything under control. Never doubt me, #213."

#213 looked at him, "Not for a second, sir." He looked at the unconscious body, on top of a canvas bag. "Now what?"

The other snapped at him, "Grab a corner." He then grabbed the two corners closest to the man's feet, and 213 grabbed the other two. "Now pull up."

With their strength combined, the two changelings brought the four corners together, and they had a canvas bag held between them, containing a rather rotund fellow. The larger changeling looked to 213. "Now back to the gateway."

213 saluted, "Yes, Captain Banshee."

With a lot of effort, they dragged the canvas bag out of the camp inconspicuously, and stuck it on the back of a Behemoth that was hidden in a crevice, and rode off to their destination, and this poor chap's final destination.