• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 1,503 Views, 73 Comments

YogLabs: Quest for the Golden Horseshoe - Prisoner 24601



Stuck in Equestria, with two of their friends dead, Simon, Sjin, and Jesse Cox venture into the wilderness to find the mythical Golden Horseshoe. [Sequel to YogLabs: Dimensional Portal]

  • ...
5
 73
 1,503

Chapter 5

And so, they left.

Led by the twelve ponies and humans, the Space Yoggerfly army left from Ponyville, moving north. They exited the gate, and travelled to the outcropping. But it was still very far away -according to Sjin, about three days away- and they were exhausted after the first day.

Canterlot shimmered with the setting sun. When the amber glow descended under the mountains, the lowlands were plunged into darkness, while the light still exploded from the great mountain-set city. They made camp about a third of the way to the mountain, and some conversation started.

"Hey, Simon," Came a little voice as the Brit was pitching a tent.

Simon turned to find little Apple Bloom, one of the first ponies he had ever met in this world, looking up at him inquisitively. "Yes, Apple Bloom?" He asked.

"About what happened at the castle a few days ago..."

"Yes?"

"It's just been so busy since then, that I haven't been able to tell you..."

'What?"

"That thing with you..." She looked at the metal brace on his back, which crept over his shoulder and glinted, "When Lewis shot you... and you died for a bit... It really tore us apart."

"Us?" Simon asked.

"Yeah. Me, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. We were just... It tore us apart to see you like that."

"Why?"

"Because! You are our friend, and we really care about you. It's hard to see a friend like that; so hurt."

Simon could see tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm sorry, Apple Bloom." He knelt down to her level, "I really hate to do things like that. To my mates, and to the people I care about."

Apple bloom charged at him, and Simon caught her in his arms. He hugged her as she cried, and he whispered, "I'm sorry. I really am."

"I know you are, Simon." she wheezed out between sobs.

Simon continued to hug her as he stroked her hair.

********

Simon thought more and more about what Apple Bloom had said, and he had begun to realize something: He had changed. After the castle, he had changed. He lay in his makeshift bed, the straw not causing him any discomfort as his spine brace protected his skin. Inside the tent he had pitched, it was no warmer, nor cooler. It was a bit darker, but holes in the roof from where some of the Yognau(gh)ts were not very bright gave the moon time to shine through; Luna had been generous, and had gifted them the most beautiful moon he had seen in all his time since arriving in Equestria. How long had it been?

It had been two months from the Canterlot Battle to the funeral, and three or four days since then. Before the castle, he had only been around what, two, maybe three days? It hadn't been long at all, but it didn't take long to change. In those few months between his friends death and his eulogy, Simon hadn't really been social or public. Sjin hadn't been either, and Jesse was still trying to figure out where exactly he was.

Apple Bloom had persuaded Simon to stay at Sweet Apple Acres until the funeral, and he had worked his little British bum down to the core picking apples off trees. He could only imagine what work would be like on apple bucking day.

And there he realized it again: He had changed. He was Simon Lane, dammit! He wasn't an Apple Farmer, he wasn't a general, and he damn sure wasn't a hero. He was an averagely funny, slightly overweight, forty-or-so year old man from London, who made Minecraft and WoW videos for short attention span children on YouTube. That was who he was, not... this.

He heard himself audibly sighing as he grit his teeth, knowing this wasn't where he belonged. They didn't need him, they needed someone who was used to being in charge. They needed Lewis, for god's sake, not him! But... Lewis was dead. He was dead, and Simon was all they had. Oh, for god's sake, if only he were still around. He would help. He would offer advice, he'd take work off his mate's hands, he would lead, not-

"Simon?" Came a voice from outside the tent, as a little orange head popped through. "I heard you mumbling and talking to yourself. Something wrong?"

Simon sat up on his straw mat as he realized he must've started talking at some point. What she had heard, though, he had no clue. "No, Scootaloo, everything's fine."

"You sure?" She asked, concern in her face.

"I'm sure," Simon said, feigning a smile as best he could. What, with all the conventions he went to, and all the people he'd met there, he was used to faking happiness.

Scootaloo, still a little uneased, backed out slowly after saying, "Alright, Simon. Good night."

"Good night to you, too, little scoots." When she had left, Simon realized that there was something wrong. He was wrong. Everything he had done up until this point had been wrong. He should never have faced Lewis, gotten this massive wound. He should never have gone through the portal. He should never have let Lewis fall to mind control, to who knows who!?

Wait a minute...

Maybe he did know who was behind the mind control.

After all, the grimness, the talks about destiny, the gruesomeness yet the technological advancements of the mind control pointed to one and only one man. Simon forced his hand to his forehead, with an audible slap, ashamed with himself for not seeing it before:

Sriviramen.

Of COURSE it was Sriviramen. The crazed scientist had been talking about death for months. He had even killed most of the testificate staff! If any dark force were behind Lewis, it had to be him. Suddenly, Simon was renewed. He had found the man who had really taken Lewis' life. If only he could get back to their Minecraft world, he could exact revenge.

He got up, determined. He knew he wasn't fit for the camp, nor fighting a mastermind like Sriviramen, but he had a duty: A duty to avenge his friend's death. He had to leave. Quickly, he found some parchment and a quill. He started writing a letter. Once it had been finished, he signed it off, rolled it up, bound it with some Gaffa tape (The only tape they had brought with them), and got dressed. He brought the parchment with him as he snuck out, making sure to avoid anyone who was still awake.

He silently entered Sjin's tent, and placed the letter on the right side of his head. He knew he would find it. He had to fight back tears as he envisaged Sjin's reaction. But crying would only wake him up. He had to move swiftly and silently. He exited the tent, and made for one of the camp exits. Usually they would have been patrolled, but they hadn't really worked out ranks and such yet. Simon slipped past undetected, and took a few strides. He turned, taking a look at the magnificent camp. It had been done well, having only been constructed that morning.

He knew the army would be in good hands. He waved a solitary goodbye, turned again, and walked. He didn't know where he was going, but anywhere was a start.

He chocked under his breath, tears leaving unbarred now, "Don't worry, Lewis. I'm coming."

Author's Note:

I'm trying to get this story to the original glory of the first one. I sure hope I make it, I'm not necessarily happy about how it's turned out...