• Published 5th Aug 2013
  • 1,459 Views, 97 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt: Family and Friends - Diablomuerte2



A sequel to the riveting dramatic story of To be a Wonderbolt. Rainbow Dash is now back in Ponyville as they rebuild their homes and lives. Not all can be fixed and not all hardships can be overcome without sacrifice.

  • ...
11
 97
 1,459

Requiem of a Fallen Failure

Requiem of a Fallen Failure

Ponies Equestria is full of them. Regardless of how many mares or stallions inhabits this land it's always sad to see one die. It's even sadder when the death of the pony was pitiful. Fallen from grace before even rising. She wasn't a heroic pony, or a valiant one. She had guts and charisma. She was heading places. She had hopes and dreams and a noble goal. She was going to be someone that could have been respected by all.

Her funeral was a quiet one. Not many showed up. The only ones there was the priest and a rainbow maned pony. No one else cared. She was all alone and it was because of her bad choices. The usually energetic and happy cyan mare was holding flowers in her hoof sitting on one of the many chairs not used. The service was paid for by the athletic celebrity. For only she could care about some pony who she almost became.

A canary mare approaches wearing an outfit suitable for a funeral and nuzzles the rainbow haired one. The silence of the grave yard only more deafening by the lack of eulogy or ponies. it was wrong. Even if she was made public enemy her family or friends should have been here. "How come I am the only bucking pony to be here... she doesn't deserve this..., no pony does." the raspy voiced mare shouted with tears spilling. She was wearing a black tux that was designed by her friend it wasn't because she identified as a male it was because a tux wasn't as frou-frou as a dress. Dresses aren't cool. She only did cool.

Well now she did sadness too. The emptiness of the moment just destroyed her invisible emotion proof armor. There was absolutely no other ponies besides the two mares and the one stallion. The rainbow maned pony blamed herself and her fame for this injustice. She was witness to the recently deceased pony's final moment. A heart wrenching memory that was to be forgotten but couldn't after all she forgave the offending pony but can never forget her.

____________________________________________________________

Flashback

Rainbow Dash was debating to forgive or to condemn the pony before her. Lightning Dust's actions were heinous and the most offending, but with that the retaliation from her fans and pursuers were even worse. According to the failure cadet she was chased across Equestria for days on end. Unable to properly feed or nourish herself. She was forced to do things that were generally frowned upon in society. The story was sad enough but the sight and smell of the offending pony was bringing the reality home to Rainbow Dash. This was some pony who just needed to be forgiven and let her life move on. She was, from the looks of it, very remorseful. Not only she had learned a lesson about revenge but she learned about humility and the price of not letting things go.

She couldn't continue being mad at her even if she wanted to. It was not like Rainbow Dash was perfect or without sins. She had done her fair share of bucking up and seeing how this mare was a reminder of what could have been it was only right she at least forgive her and try to allow the pony some form of redemption. If anything forgiving her might just help ease the frenzied fans from doing something crazy. The fame was bugging her now. Sure Lightning Dust was in need of punishment but for her fans to go this far and drive a pony to this kind of state was appalling. After her mind stormed on for a couple of minutes she realized she was still in the academy and had to teach. She had no time for sour grapes or for hating some pony who was on the brink of death. She needed care and forgiveness stat.

"Lightning Dust, as much as I hate myself for saying this, I forgive you... I will never for-" All she was able to get to before she heard something and saw something that broke her heart. Something that burned into the very recess of her soul and obliterated what emotion she was trying to express.

Lightning Dust breathed her last words "Thank... you..." before dying in front of the new cadets... a visage that burned in their eyes and made some stomachs erupt spewing waste through the mouth. the act of regurgitating wasn't a fitting way to express how disgusting this event was.

Rainbow Dash felt sick... it was the worst thing ever to see. To know that in her final moments all she wanted was someone to forgive her. someone to care enough to forgive her for her misdeeds. It was too much. Rainbow Dash covered her mouth to protest the cries that her betraying eyes allowed out. The tears poured out endlessly. She didn't like Lightning Dust, she didn't have any bond to her. The sight itself was enough. To see some pony brought to the edge of life and slip off just as she had elation in her heart. It was the worst thing ever.

Spitfire had arrived on the scene... it was tragic. Some students left the academy that day. Some were sick, others tried steeling themselves. Spitfire looked at Rainbow Dash who was just sitting there crying. Misery was cast like a net over the rainbow mane super star. Spitfire could understand the pain. The poor pony was young and she was a rising star in her own right able to match speeds with the unusually fast pegasi that was crying over her. The mare was youthful and beautiful in her own way. She had the charisma and the guts. She was just as young as Rainbow Dash and was the very idea of Rainbow Dash if she wasn't blessed by friendship.

Spitfire just trotted close to crying mare and whispered gently to her "I will go get Fluttershy for you...I want you to take the week off. I will have Fleetfoot fill in for you while you relax... I am sorry newbie.. I really am." She started flying off away from the scene that was just too sad to be around.

____________________________________________________________

The funeral was held in a field where Pegasi got buried since they can't be on kept on the cloudy city post mortem. The timid mare held her lover tight and whispered words into the cyan mare's ears. It wasn't sweet nothings or lustful desires it was just words to help her. The death of a pony is never a celebrated event. Even enemies should be mourned. The rainbow maned pony cried more with the words being heard in silence. The mare realizes how lucky she is that she wasn't the one in the position of the deceased mare's last stand.

Another pony joined in the funeral this one was wearing her uniform as if honoring a fallen comrade. In another world that would have been true. Had the flaw of the deceased weren't found then she would have been where the cyan mare before her sits. It wouldn't have been too similar the out come but the gist was there. She doesn't yell but salutes. Even in death the failure wouldn't be forgotten. Not by the two ponies who caused it. In their eyes they were guilty and should have been punished for it. The world disagreed.

____________________________________________________________

The funeral was held a day after the pony had died, the sky was mourning along with those ponies. The weather had called for rain coincidentally it was light rain but rain none the less. The sky itself was shedding tears and the ponies decided to bathe in the tears of the never ending blue.

The funeral ended and the family of the mare showed up, the family that disowned her. The rainbow haired pony was furious about this. "You bucking bastards.... how could you just do that to her... she was your daughter... she was your family... She didn't deserve this..." She was livid being held back by her lover and by the pony in uniform.

The older mare and stallion didn't respond, they knew they were responsible as well. They were cowards. They had lost a son and was being harassed about their daughter. They decided it was best to just appease the mob and take the easy way out. In doing so they ensured their daughter's death. The rage of the cyan mare before them wasn't lost on them. They deserved the hateful spews. They just didn't know why the rainbow haired one was angry. Finally the stallion spoke "Why do you care anyways? You are the one who made it hard for me to call her my daughter... This is as much on you as this is on us. Now let us mourn in peace. I just ask to be alone with my wife while we deal with the lost of our last child. We have nothing left in this world but each other now. So I beg you... just go and let us have our final moment with our child." He pleaded with tears openly pouring down his face.

The screaming pegasus stopped. Those words hit her like a solid brick to the chest. She was speechless and felt defeated. With that plea she respected it and left. The canary mare following and the uniformed one following. The old couple watched the three mares leave before turning back to the casket. They silently moved close to it before they hugged each side of it. They cried tears of sorrow and guilt. Their shame was publicly made known when they openly let their daughter go. It wasn't as if they had a choice. Now they faced the loss of their only child left. They were broken ponies. All because of revenge. such a stupid concept. Lives ruined over jealousy and regret. They wept openly as the sky wept with them.

____________________________________________________________

Hard cider. The only cure for misery when nothing else was working. Rainbow Dash no longer had any emotion to use up for the day. The death of some pony who she could have been like was the worse thing ever to see. It felt like part of her died. They even looked similar and had similar abilities. For all intents and purposes Lightning Dust was Rainbow Dash and vice versa.

Fluttershy could only watch as her lover poured glass after glass of hard cider into her throat. It wasn't even subtle. She couldn't stop her because she had no way of helping her. She knew lovey dovey snuggle time was out because the mare didn't want to be touched. Sex was out of the question because the lack of mood. Words only pierced her heart more with guilt and sorrow. She just waited by her mare's side waiting for whatever she needed her for.

Scootaloo was once again forced out of her home by adult problems. She wasn't so sure what was going on but she was told that she had to go crusading or something. These moments in her life confused her because how can she understand what it's like to be an adult if she is constantly being treated as a foal.

She decided it would be best to just walk around town not really in the crusading mood. She was already flying and could just feel the cutie mark incoming. It wasn't going to be easy to find out what her destiny was but she could feel the amazing thrill of bursting into the sky. Though she can't fly far or too high yet she sometimes when feeling brave will fly around town. Though it usually ends up with her crashing it doesn't hurt as much. Her body was getting stronger with each day it's like her body was catching up to her mentor's body at the age. Her body wasn't becoming super strong but it was getting more durable each intense training session. The careful break down and build up of muscle was only further enhanced by her mother's careful massages that eased the muscles and allowed them to develop more naturally. The build up wasn't as much as she wanted. She couldn't fly as far or fast as other pegasi her age but she was slowly getting there. It would take time as well as patience. Her muscularity was surpassing normal ponies her age so Rainbow Dash decided it was time to focus solely on wings and proper dieting. Too much muscle wasn't good for aerodynamics.

Because of her new body she was being checked out by fillies and stallions her age. She wasn't sure what her sexuality was because she never was one for emotions or romance. She just liked the attention none the less. No fillies or colts had been brave enough to ask her out. Since she was the child of a star it was extra intimidating to ask the usually self reserved pegasus out.

As she was strolling along she noticed Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon and decided she could go mess with them. They now were scared of her, well one of them was scared the other was... scared and liking it? It was weird but since yesterday morning Diamond Tiara would always get Scootaloo mad and make some face with her cheeks going red before running off. It was almost as if she was excited to see the strong filly get angry.

"Well if it isn't the spoon and hat two useless things that adorn your flanks." She had recently come up with a counter to being called a blank flank. She had thought of how their flanks had cutie marks of useless things in pony culture. It bothered them to no end and since the other crusaders have heard this they use it too. "So what are you two losers up to?" She asked bored and wanting to stir some fillies up.

Diamond Tiara whispered something into Silver Spoon's ear. Silver Spoon ran off looking a little scared for Diamond Tiara. Still Silver Spoon is a follower so questioning the one giving orders wasn't her forte.

Scootaloo wasn't sure what was going on but was ready for any surprise attack. "What the hay you trying to pull Diamond.." She said while flaring her wings to show she wasn't to be bucked with. The display had a different effect on the usually snotty and rude pony. It didn't make her scared just more interested.

"I sent her off so we can be alone Scootaloo." She said while walking slower to the angry pegasus. She got right to where there muzzles met and closed her eyes. "I have something I want to tell you.." She leaned in and opened her eyes when no pony was there. The trail of a blushing pegasus was apparent and she was alone with a crimson face. " That damn Scootaloo."

____________________________________________________________

Night fell, and Fluttershy was carrying a drunk and unconscious pegasus on her back up the stairs. She was glad that she had started working out and going to the spa again. The spa does wonders for the body. her light work outs are to prepare her for the eventual foal she was planning on carrying. She wanted to have her body be ready for such a daunting task after seeing Applejack suffering through hers. The spa trip wasn't the same with Applejack there. Fluttershy almost felt like a third wheel. That would mean Applejack and Rarity are dating... silly Fluttershy, Applejack and Rarity? That is funny... is it? I mean they were really close, Rarity was rubbing her belly and talking about how great it will be to see young Appleseed when he is finally due. I guess a young male foal would be able to counter balance the mostly female members of the apple clan. Still Rarity and Applejack... I need to talk with Rarity about this. I can't let her hurt Applejack and with her recent rise in notoriety and customers it can be... like Rainbow Dash all over again.

She had finally carried the pegasus to their room while her mind had rolled on into pointless thinking. She wasn't going to confront them right away as she had other things to take care of. She had an unstable pegasus on her hooves and a young filly as well to be cared for. She gently put the cyan mare on the bed and kissed her cheek avoiding the mouth that smelt like booze.

She then made sure the little filly was tucked in for the night. Fluttershy was about to leave when she heard a question she wasn't ready to answer. "Mom... what is it like to be with a mare instead of a stallion?"

Fluttershy wanted to disappear at that moment but her body didn't have the magic needed to turn invisible. "Dear, why do you ask that?" She said slowly unsure of what brought this on. She wasn't going to lie and say it was perfect but wasn't going to say it's the worst thing ever. After all unbeknownst to anyone but herself ,and Rainbow Dash, This relationship was her first romantic one. She never have been with a stallion romantically and the only mare she had any interests in period was the one on their bed who might need to be woken if something had happened to their young daughter.

Scootaloo rubbed her eyes a bit and yawned. "I just... lately this girl has been acting like Spike ,used to act towards Rarity, around me and it is confusing me. I mean she is this mean girl who used to make fun of me for having a blank flank and now she is trying to kiss me and stuff." She explained.

Fluttershy... was wanting to kill that hussy. Wait the hussy is some filly.. I can't kill a filly.. Oh Fluttershy you are too protective. "So why do you ask the question then if you aren't into her... you aren't into her are you? You are oh I am sorry" she was acting like the Fluttershy of before. Pawing at the ground unsure of what was going on

Scootaloo was blushing "I don't know.. I ... I don't know mom.. I am confused because I thought stallions and mares were supposed to get together but you and Momma-Dash are both mares and you both are together. So like.. is it wrong for a mare to be with a mare? If not then how do I know if I am supposed to like stallions or mares?" She sighed while looking at her mother for a clue.

Fluttershy was unsure of how to answer this. Damn it Dash the one filly you wanted to adopt was a sexually confused one. Now I have to try and explain stuff... Shoot!

____________________________________________________________

Spitfire was at a bar.. she was with Mistyfly who got all attached because of their recent gig and rutting. Spitfire wasn't that into Mistyfly but she was growing on her. Though Spitfire wanted to mingle with some singles she kind of enjoyed sharing a bed with the same person every night. They weren't that deep into the relationship to be doing so and yet it was Spitfire who was the one that started the tradition by inviting Mistyfly night after night to stay with her. They weren't due for another show since Rainbow's mare didn't let her go to the next one which means they wouldn't be able to sell the tickets and just decided to take a breather, especially since she was prepping Rainbow Dash for the academy and well that is how she ended up here at the bar.

She was drinking some liquor wanting to forget the pain of what she saw... the memories of that time she exiled the young failure cadet. Over something as simple as attitude. She ironically allowed the unstable one to stay when mentally she was the one unfit for the prestige. She kept drinking the liquor to drown the pain and memories. She had inadvertantly killed Lightning Dust. No way she could think otherwise. Mistyfly was looking good too and she was nuzzling the drunken mare infront of the other patrons so they knew who she was going home with. Damn possessive mare ... I might dump her after giving her one last hurrah... nah ... I shall keep her around until she bucks up. I kind of like having someone want me this much. Though I am drunk so I am probably not thinking straight..... or gay... I can't think at all. "I just need to rut Mistyfly and go to sleep." she thought that last part out loud and hadn't realized it. The bar patrons were choking on their drinks and some others were blushing.

Mistyfly was half offended about being talked about in such fashion but was also aroused at the prospect of rough drunk sex with her lover. Spitfire wasn't into love making not most of the time at least. she was into rough and fun sex. Mistyfly can keep up so they work. They weren't romantically sappy or about love just fun and good times. Though Mistyfly was sure that Spitfire was falling for her even when she tried to make it clear she wasn't. Drunk Spitfire was a fun Spitfire. Especially in bed.

____________________________________________________________

The morning paper all across Equestria had an obituary that read as followed

Lightning Dust 21

Even though she never got to see her true dream realized, or her hearts ambition answered she was a pony who was dedicated to being a Wonderbolt. She was misguided in her anger and unfortunately through a series of mistakes she ended up being distant from her family. She was a young and energetic mare who was taken from the world too soon. In spite of her final choices she made in life she was still someone to be respected. Her heart may have been corrupted but it was still a pony that wanted to show the world her stuff. Regardless of how some may feel about her the Wonderbolts decided in memory of this fine cadet that she be deemed an honorary member of the Wonderbolts will never be forgotten by those who cared for her. Rest in peace Wonderbolt Member Lightning Dust.

Rainbow Dash read the paper and smiled a sad smile. She had paid good money for this obituary to stand out from the rest. She wanted it on news papers all over Equestria. She was coming to terms with what happened. In her final hour when all was lost and death was coming to grab the failure cadet. She just wanted to be remembered ... to be forgiven. Rainbow Dash could forgive and never forget. Because forgiving those who wronged you, is part of being a Wonderbolt.

Rainbow Dash looked in the sky and saw an image of Lightning Dust. She didn't look angry or upset instead she had a smile on her face and attempted to reach her hoof out to Rainbow Dash wanting a hoof bump. Rainbow Dash gave her the hoof bump she denied her that day. Their hoofs never connected though as the ghostly image faded into the light. She was gone and crossed over. There wouldn't be anyone like Lightning Dust... regardless of her final days she was still a pony.. a pony with hopes and dreams and wants and desires. She was some pony that just needed a friend. "Here is to you friend... may the magic of friendship reach you wherever you end up. I know I wasn't your best friend but I hope you are comforted by the fact I will always think of you as one. You helped me more than you know by being you. I know it sounds bad but I mean it. You were determined and I was too. You wanted what I did and I needed that rivalry. I just wish we could have kept being there for each other and pushing one another through and through. I would have loved that. I am sorry your life had to end like this. I am sorry you died just as you finally got what you wanted... but know this as long as I shall live I will never forget you ... Lightning Dust.. my friend... the Wonderbolt.... rest in peace and may the wind guide your wings in the afterlife." She said while tears slowly poured down her face. She had a week off and nothing to do with it. She was just going to try and relax. She closed the door and her eyes.

A day dream played in her head. There she was with Lightning Dust they were both flying at sonic speeds just enjoying the company of another pony as they flew towards the sun. Lightning Dust smiles and says "isn't this fun Dash?" She answers back "Yeah it is." Then the race ends and they tie. Rainbow Dash sees Fluttershy and looks to Lightning Dust. "Well I got to go my mare needs me ... so one day let's race again... I know it will be a long time from now... but I hope we can race in the future." She said with hope. Lightning Dust chuckles "Of course we will after all we will have to finally decide which one of us is the better Wonderbolt. Until then though... enjoy your life Dash and keep on surpassing the limits of the world."

Rainbow Dash opens her eyes with soft tears slowly descending. "I will ... "

Author's Note:

So like that happened.... I was honestly not expecting it when I was originally planning out how the situation would be resolved but something told me that any other way wouldn't make sense. Lightning Dust had to die. I hated killing her off in such a way but I felt it was just needing to be done. Anyways sorry for the feels canon. I threw in some possible Scootatiara so it wasn't that feels heavy and had some light hearted almost romance. Anyways since the sad and dark tag are there and I haven't written about the other ponies much this chapter I might try to do a chapter about fixing Pinkie Pie... or not. I still don't know how to resolve that since, I first have to decide if what is right for Equestria matter over the right of an indiviual to live as her own self. That kind of deep thought just bugs me and I must play it out right. Stuff will happen next chapter... stuff.