• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 8,168 Views, 314 Comments

Gargoyle - Mr101



"Waking up in Equestria as a seven foot Gargoyle wasn't on my to-do list, and I’m now apparently the last hope for this world..."

  • ...
27
 314
 8,168

Chapter VIII - Prison Break Part II - Battle of Titans.

Gargoyle
Chapter VIII - Prison Break Part II - Battle of Titans








“Get back here!” I roared.

The Hoboll let out a yelp as he ran, continuing trying to evade me, but he could only go so fast with his short legs and soon I had caught up to him. Try as he might to extend the gap between us, fate wasn’t on his side as he tripped and tumbled to the ground with a surprised yelp.

I quickly launched at him, hammer raised high and a grin on my face. The last thing the Hoboll saw was my hammer colliding with his face.

Taking a look at my work with satisfaction, I looked around to see where I had chased the little bastard and realised we had reached the main chamber again. I also noticed the several dozen Hobolls looking at me with a mixture of shock and confusion, staring back at them as a awkward silence reigned over us.

“Wot… da fuq… is dat?!” A Hoboll cried in alarm.

“Dun matter, KILL IT!” Another barked.

“Son of a…” I grumbled and readied myself.

Three of the Hobolls instantly charged me, swords drawn ready to strike down at me. As quick as I could, I rushed the one closest to me and brought my hammer down on his sword-arm causing him to scream in pain before grabbing him by the scruff of his neck and with a might throw, threw him at one of the other Hobolls.

The third one, after dodging his two fallen comrades, lunged for me and brought his sword down. Raising my hammer up, I was able to deflect the blow and drove my foot into his gut, winding him. Taking the opportunity, I brought my hammer down hard on his skull, receiving a delightful loud crack as part of his skull shattered.

The Hoboll whose arm I had hit, held it in pain and whimpered and grabbed his sword with his other hand, trying to stand up and fight through the pain coursing through his body.

‘Credit earned where credits due...’ I thought.

He charged again, as the Hoboll I’d throw him into started to get up. With a grin I crouched down, using my wings for a boost as I leapt up into the air over his blade only to grasp my hammer in both hands, bringing it down with a crunch on his right shoulder, hearing it shatter over the sound of his screaming. I looked up at the other Hobolls who were now looking back at me with slight fear.

This confused me slightly.

Up until now, Hobolls seemed to be brutes who would fight till the end no matter what, like at the campsite and earlier on when they were faced with two minotaurs and, well, me. I tried to think why but was interrupted by another loud roar that rumbled through the caves and tunnels, followed by what sounded like a large explosion.

The Hobolls whimpered and without warning, took off down a tunnel. I merely stared down the tunnel they had run down in utter confusion, a second roar being what brought me back from my thoughts as I tried to hone in on the direction it was coming from. I don’t know why, but I had a gut feeling that wherever Crystal had been taken along with the other Hobolls, that was where the roars and explosions were coming from.

Even though I was slightly scared of what was making that noise, I couldn’t abandon her.

“Hold on just a little bit longer, Crystal,” I roared before charging down a tunnel.


Crystal POV

It was horrifying… truly horrifying…

I’ve heard tales from my father of the ancient times, tales that were simply meer legends to the ears of changelings, ponies and everyone else on this world. But… this thing was nothing like anything I had ever heard or even seen…

The dragon had been roaring and continued to kill the Hobolls stupid enough not to get out of the way when the sound of a magic blast exploding echoed in the cave, I thought that maybe Vault had arrived with some of the ponies and were fighting the dragon to reach me and I rose from my hiding spot, ready to signal where I was when I saw… it.

It was bipedal, like Vault, only its skin was a beautiful golden colour, almost as if it was made of the precious metal itself. It seemed to have short pointed ears that pressed against the sides of its head. I couldn’t help stare at the creature’s robes.

Just like its skin, they were a beautiful gold with the most bizarre stitching I’d ever seen on clothing before, they appeared to be runic markings of sorts and I noticed a few symbols that appeared to be in a language that was completely unknown to me. The creature seemed to have short hair that was tied back behind its head that seemed to flow down till it was near the ground, it shined like a gem would if the sun hit it at just the right angle and I couldn’t help but feel at peace and calm staring at this beautiful creature. Maybe it was here to help me?

That’s when I actually looked at its face…

I hadn’t noticed on my first glance, I had been too distracted by the beauty of its soft, smooth looking skin to notice it.

Two, purple eyes, each one having a black cross with no pupil, stared back at the dragon. I had thanked It wasn’t looking at me.

Just a glance at its eyes sent pure terror through my body, it felt as if I was staring into the darkest pit of Tartarus itself and I could feel my chest heaving as my breathing got heavier and heavier, my eyes widening slowly the longer I stared at it.

I was able to pull myself from looking at it when the dragon let out a low rumble as it spoke in a heavy, deep, thundering voice.

“I’ve been waiting for this day for ten thousands of years…” the dragon chuckled.

“Has it really been that long?” The creature chuckled back, “then you know why I am here…”

“You seek to reclaim your sister… your Master’s general…”

“That I do… are you going to stand down, dragon?”

“You would be dead before you could even lay your eyes upon it… demon.”

“I was hoping you would say that… I’m going to enjoy this…”

I held back a scream as the golden creature let out a demonic laugh as its body suddenly transformed into something I would never forget…


Vault POV

“Oh come on! This is like the seventh damn tunnel now!”

I roared in frustration as I smashed the hammer into the tunnel wall, I had gone down the wrong tunnel now seven times and I was getting angry. I could still hear the sounds of explosions and the dragon roaring coming from every direction, echoing in this damn maze.

“Come on Vault… focus…”

“You’re actually calling yourself that?” My mind snorted at me

“Not now…” I growled.

“Fine, be that way. I was just going to tell you which way to go,”

“How the hell would you know where to go when I don’t? We’re the same mind!”

“Uh… internet?”

“Sure, okay sure. Let’s say I believe you, where the fuck do I go then?”

“Take the next right, then the left and it’s straight on.”

“Something doesn't feel right…” I muttered.

“Hey, just trying to help. Sooner we get this done, sooner we get to Equestria and wake up.”

“True… alright then, onward!”

With new found vigor, I charged down the tunnel, my hand firmly grasping my warhammer as I took off to the right.


Crystal POV

I was terrified, absolutely terrified.

Within seconds of roaring, the golden creature had grown triple in size towering over the Hobolls and myself. Even though it wasn’t as tall as the dragon, it was more intimidating.

The majestic robes it once had were now gone, instead its entire upper body was bare and displayed the creatures muscles in clear detail, its legs had morphed with loud sicking crunching as the bone was forced to shift into a new structure and formed into a long, twisting serpent's tail.

It’s eyes had changed to a soulless black and where the crosses once were was a glowing red dot, I could feel the evil energy radiating from it as it stared at the dragon with a wicked grin on its face. Two long fangs protruded down out of his mouth as a forked serpent's tongue darted out and tasted the air, it flexed his hands as claws emerged from the tips of its fingers as it hissed loudly.

With a sicking tear, two large, golden horns ripped from its forehead and curved backwards above its head followed by several spikes ripping out of its shoulders and down its back. I held back the vomit that threatened to leave me as its long golden hair began to engulf in a bright golden blaze, the flames dancing upwards. It let out a loud roar of laughter that echoed on itself.

From its hand, a large sword appeared decorated with chains, the blade itself being serrated. Suddenly, the sword itself burst into flames, matching the creatures hair as it raised the sword to the dragon and growled in a low rumbling voice.

“One last chance, Dragon. Surrender what is my Masters and I will make your death quick…”

I silently prayed the dragon would do as the creature demanded, I prayed it would end right there and then. But I was wrong.

The dragon responded by letting out its own roar and slammed its front into the ground, the cave shook violently as a large column of stone burst downwards, rumbling as it shot towards the creature. The creature snarled and pointed his blade towards the impending column of stone and the second it touched the burning blade, it exploded into thousands of small pieces. The Hobolls that had remained as well as the larger one, which I assumed earlier on was the Alpha, whimpered in fear as they looked for any sign of cover.

“SO BE IT!”

The second it said those words, the dragon roared and slammed one of its powerful legs downwards, causing the ground around the demon to suddenly burst upwards in thousands of shards in an attempt to cut the demon into ribbons. In the blink of an eye however, the demon had used its coiled snake tail as a spring and launched itself upwards at the last second, rotating its sword below its body deflecting the shards of stone as it flipped over and landed before shooting towards the dragon at great speed.

The dragon roared in frustration as it continued to move its body in different ways, each movement causing the stone around it to be manipulated around it. As the demon sped towards the dragon, it dodged countless attacks that the dragon launched at it from every possible direction, each stone projectile rivalling the size of a building as they exploded upon crashing into the ground. The dragon swung its massive hand and struck the demon full on, sending it bouncing along the floor and into the wall on the far end of the cave.

I could see from where I was that the demon was… smiling?

Undeterred, it quickly shot towards the dragon again, its sword behind it as once more it began to dodge the attacks from the dragon. However, when one large projectile came close to colliding with the demon head on, it stopped in mid air and was thrown to one side with force that crushed another boulder where I heard the sudden yelps of some Hobolls that had been hiding that were quickly extinguished. I saw the dragon look surprised at this but didn’t falter in its attack, it rose up on its back legs before slamming down its front legs into the ground, causing the cave floor to violently shake as a tidal wave of rock surged upwards and towards the demon, raising with every second.

I was thankful for my hiding place as I was hiding just behind where the dragon was so I was unaffected by the attack. The Hobolls however, were not.

I shook in fear as I heard their pained cries be suddenly silenced, holding back my tears as I forced myself to watch the fight.

A loud explosion disrupted the tsunami of stone as the demon burst through the centre of it, the stone around him being turned into golden flames and into ash. A twisted grin etched on its face. I think the dragon hadn’t expected this and had unknowingly let its guard down.

And the demon knew this.

The demon raced towards the dragon and before the dragon could react it was already racing up its front leg, dragging its blade behind it as it cur into the powerful scales of the dragon. The dragon roared as it tried to throw the demon off its back but to no avail, the demon sunk its blade into the shoulder of the dragon which let out a loud and pained cry as I watched in horror.

The area around the entry point began to turn a dark gold colour that son started to travel along its entire body as the dragon cried out in pain and struggled to keep up. The demon roared in laughter a sit made its way towards the head slowly, making sure to swing its blade into the scales of the dragon further making the strange golden colour cover more of it before it drove the blade into the back of its head.

It gave a mighty roar of pain as it arched its head back and slumped to the ground with a loud rumble and rapsed weakily.

“H-how… how are you t-this powerful?” I heard the dragon growl.

“We’ve waited for thousands of years for this day, dragon, do you not think we would be prepared? And besides… your kind are weak, you always have been,” the demon chuckled in response.

“You w-won’t succeed… he has returned… you will be stopped again… Invidia…”

The demon chuckled as it slithered down the dragons now golden front leg and smirked at it in triumph.

“Touching… you know who I am… pity it didn’t help you at all, Alpha! Come you worthless wretch!”

I watched in awe as across the cave, emerging from a pile of ruble was the Alpha, injured but alive.

“B-but me boyz…” he began.

“NOW! I WILL NOT BE KEPT BACK FROM MY MASTER’S PRIZE BY YOUR DISGUSTING RACE!”

The demons roar echoed in the cave as the Alpha reluctantly followed it, it slowly began to revert back to the form it was in as it had entered the cave before chuckling and looking at the dragon.

“So nice of you to leave the temple door open for us… and soon… that corruption will take over your entire soul and you will belong to my Master.”

The demon laughed as it entered the temple followed by the Alpha, my hoof on my mouth to stop me from crying out as I tried to process everything that had just happened. In that entire fight I could feel the magical energy the dragon was using against that demon but… apart from the sword I felt nothing from it, no magical power at all.

It was holding back.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as the cave grew quiet, the only sounds were my heavy breathing and the dragons soft breathing and occasional pained grunt. As I slunk back out of view, I had wondered how I had not been seen by the dragon or the demon itself.

“You… can come… out now… little changeling…”

I froze hearing the dragon speak. How in tartarus did it know I was there?

“Do not be afraid… I am a friend… I could sense your companions life force on yours the moment you had entered… and I used as much of my power as i could to keep you hidden… from Invidia..”

Nervously, I stood up and began to approach the dragon from the front, it had a warm smile on its face despite the obvious pain it was in.

“Why?” I finally asked.

“Because… just like before… he had allies and friends he relied on…” he chuckled before groaning in pain, “I was one of them… and it seems… you are to…”

“What do you mean before? What’s going on?”

“The prophecy… the return of the stone warrior…” he groaned.

Before I could reply, I heard the sounds of running behind me and turned to see the one creature on this world I was truly happy to see.

Vault.

There was a brief silence as we stared at one another until he spoke.

“What the fuck happened here?!” He exclaimed.

I didn’t answer, I merely ran as fast as I could towards him and threw my front legs around his neck and hugged him tightly, burying my face into his neck as a I broke down sobbing.


Vault POV

Okay… I was clearly missing something.

After my mind had given me somewhat correct instructions on how to navigate the caves, granted I had to fight a few more Hobolls that I had stumbled upon, I found the pathway to where I figured thousands were coming from. Thats when all hell seemed to break loose.

It was like something from a war, the ground shook violently several times as the sounds of explosions, cries of pain and what even sounded like landslides echoed all around me. It had left me disoriented and caused me to collapse to the floor as my legs had given way, leaving me nauseous as I had tried to force myself to venture on, Crystal’s safety being the only thing important to me at that moment.

When the sounds of fighting had finished, I had heard a couple of booming and low voices talk before one of them had let out a roar at another before silence remained. As I had entered the chamber slowly I saw something that forced me to resist squealing in delight..

A huge. Fucking. Dragon.

I then noticed Crystal was in front of it and was… talking to it?

That’s when she noticed me and turned to face me, a short silence reigning over us with the only sound being the dragon’s grunts.

“What the fuck happened here?!” I exclaimed, breaking the silence.

Crystal then suddenly broke into a sprint towards me and before I knew it, she had wrapped me in a tight hug and had begun crying. Blinking for a couple of seconds in confusion before I returned the hug, slowly stroking her back trying to calm her down.

“Hey, hey… it’s okay I’m here now…” I whispered.

“I was terrified, Vault… I thought I was going to die…” she whispered.

“I’m not going to let that happen… I promise” I replied.

“Don’t make a girl a promise you can’t keep…”

I ignored my mind, as always, as I continued to hug Crystal close to me. There was a brief pause before the dragon chuckled.

“I see… so she’s your partner as well… as a friend…”

I could feel my cheeks warm up slightly and despite her dark shell, I could clearly see her cheeks flush as she quickly pushed herself off me and coughed.

“H-he’s not my partner! H-he’s a friend!” She said.

“Y-yeah… what she said…” I muttered.

“Come… no need to hide your feelings from your old friend… Gaius…”

Me and Crystal looked at him in confusion, I’d never heard of that name before. Come to think of it, I was wondering why the dragon was being this friendly to us in the first place.

“I’m not Gaius…” I started, “My name’s Vault…”

The dragon looked at me in confusion before laughing to himself, clearly trying not to move more than he should.

“Always were the joker, Gaius… even now…”

“He’s not joking… his name is Vault,” Crystal added.

The dragon looked at her then to me, its eyes squinting as it seemed to look into my very being.

“You are not lying… shame… I would have liked to have met him… one last time…”

“Wait, who is this Gaius? Why did you think he was me?”

Before the dragon could answer, we all heard a loud angry roar coming from within the temple.

“WHERE IS IT?!”

The dragon chuckled before opening up one of its hands, we watched in amazement as a small golden box appeared, floating gently. The box slowly floated over to me and dropped in my hand, as I grasped it I could feel a warm energy radiate from within it.

“Where I failed… you must keep it… safe… do not let… Invidia get it… prevent the prophecy… now… go… flee this place… I am sorry...”

I didn’t ask who Invidia was, I gathered it must be whoever was shouting in the temple. Crystal didn’t need being told twice, she began to run out of the cave but not before thanking the dragon one last time with a sad smile, I was about to run after her when I noticed the gold was slowly about to encase him. Before I could ask him what was happening to him, I felt my mind seize up and I blacked out.


Crystal POV

I watched in concern as Vault fell to one knee and quickly ran over to him, just as I got to his side as was about to ask him if he was alright, he slowly stood back up without a single word and smiled at the dragon. However, something was different about him, his eyes had changed to the purest white I had ever seen and dozens of scars now riddled his body, three going over his face. With a soft gasp I took a couple of steps back out of shock and slight fear as he suddenly spoke in a low booming voice.

“Hello Edar… my old friend...”

“Gaius…” the dragon whispered.

I wanted to speak but I couldn’t form any words and just simply stared, this was Gaius? But… it was using Vault’s body.

“What are you?” I whispered in slight fear.

I didn’t get a reply, instead I felt a strange tiredness wash over me and struggled to keep my eyes open as my legs began to wobble slightly.

“I’m sorry… but it is not yet time for you and Vault to know the truth…”

I wanted to protest, focusing my will and energy into staying awake. I tried to bite my leg to snap me out of this odd feeling, I tried willing myself to attack whatever it was that had possessed Vault but I couldn’t. I simply fell to my side and began to slowly fall into unconsciousness.

“Will she be alright, Gaius?”

“She is strong… as is her heart, but they do not need to hear of their destiny and the prophecy… not yet… now hold still, I may not be strong enough in his reincarnation to stop the curse… but I can end it now for you and save your soul from his control...”

I murmured something as I slowly closed my eyes and fell asleep.


I awoke suddenly and with a gasp I shot my head up looking around at my location, I was no longer in the cave that had the dragon called Edar, in fact, I was in a different section of the mountain altogether. I suddenly heard a groan beside me and saw Vault who was slowly sitting up right and rubbing his head.

“What happened? I remember the dragon saying something about… Gaius? A prophecy? God my head hurts…”

He winced and rubbed his head softly, I was trying to also remember what had happened but everytime I tried to focus my thoughts my mind went hazy.

“I remember that you fell to one knee… then something happened and your voice changed and then… nothing, just a blur…”

“Strange… maybe we should-”

Vault was interrupted as a scream of frustration echoed down deep within the mountains.

“IT’S GONE! FIND THE GARGOYLE! BRING ME HIS HEAD AND HIS LITTLE FRIEND!”

MY eyes widened as I recognised the roar. It was Invidia, and he didn’t sound happy at all. Vault then blinked and realised he was still holding the strange golden box that Edar had given him.

“I think that’s what he’s after…” I whispered.

“Well then…” Vault began, a grin forming on his face, “better hold onto it then. Come on, we need to meet up with the others, hopefully they’ve gotten to the rendezvous point in the forest.”

I grinned back at him as we stood up fully, before we began however, I placed a hoof on his arm and he turned to look at me.

“Thanks… for coming back…”

“I don’t abandon my friends, dream or not,”

“What?”

“Nevermind, long story,”

I sighed and shook my head. Another Vault moment. A second roar down the tunnels indicated to us that it was time to go, with the box in hand we started to run down the tunnel we were in.

As soon as we’re safe,’ I thought to myself, ‘I need to find out what this ‘prophecy’ is...’

Author's Note:

[Edited version to come.] Any errors, feel free to let me know.