• Published 20th Jul 2013
  • 8,167 Views, 314 Comments

Gargoyle - Mr101



"Waking up in Equestria as a seven foot Gargoyle wasn't on my to-do list, and I’m now apparently the last hope for this world..."

  • ...
27
 314
 8,167

Chapter V - A Stone Gargoyle is in the base.

Gargoyle.

Chapter V – A Stone Gargoyle is in the base.





Face it... you’re lost.’

I grumbled as I pushed a branch out of my way, hearing it snap back into its original position as the leaves on its end rustled. I had been walking for what seemed like hours and had yet to exit the forest and arrive at the main Hoboll campsite. During my walk I had been in a constant argument with my mind about what I had decided to do for the ponies I rescued.

“I am not lost.”

Yes, you are, they told you it was directly north of that cave! How the fuck do you get lost GOING IN A STRAIGHT LINE?!”

“Correction,” I said, “they said they thought it was somewhere north. Ergo, not my fault I’m lost.”

So you admit it then? You are a complete and utter moron...”

“Also, isn’t calling me a moron, technically calling yourself a moron, given you’re my mind?”

There was a brief pause of silence as I continued to walk through the forest, waiting for the response my mind would give me.

Shut up...

“I’m counting that as a win,” I grinned.

Anyway, why are we doing this exactly? I thought you said the best thing to do is go to Equestria and find some answers to this whole thing?”

“I know, but I can’t just stand by knowing that because of me, their families most likely will be killed or worse.”

What... what is worse than death exactly?”

“Well, what would you rather. A life of harsh and painful slavery coupled with beatings, being raped, never being able to be free and see the ones you love, or being dead?”

I’d rather be alive and stay that way, you know, like a sane person?”

“Well tough gonads, I’m going to help them.”

This isn’t real, just remember that...”

“Yeah yeah...” I muttered.

I eventually decided that it might be a good idea to try and climb into a tree and get a better view of my surroundings, using the fact that I could see fairly well in the dark as a Gargoyle. Judging from from where the moon was in the sky, I figured that it was almost dawn and that the sun would soon start to rise. Seeing no indication that I was going in the right direction at all I let out a low sigh before climbing down from the tree, giving a little leap just before coming to the ground I landed with a light thud.

“Ok... so where to from here?” I muttered softly.

Looking around at my surroundings, trying to see any sign of a pathway or any indication that something had recently walked by here. My body froze on the spot as I heard a bush nearby rustle and I immediately retreated into the shadow of the nearest tree, pressing myself as tightly as I could against it to hide my form properly, squinting my eyes to try and pinpoint where the rustling was coming from I heard something emerge from the bushes near the tree I was beside but couldn’t get a proper view without revealing where I was hiding.

‘On the count of three...’ I thought to myself.

I listened as the sounds of footsteps got closer and closer, from the sounds of it there was at least two of them.

‘Hard and fast, knock whatever it is out and determined if they’re friendly...’

As the footsteps got closer I breathed in quietly and mentally began to count to three, as soon as I got to three I quickly shot out from my hiding spot, wings wide open and fist ready to strike. I stopped in my tracks and blinked in surprise and confusion as Snow Wing looked up at me startled and slightly terrified and gave a sudden scream before realising it was me.

“Oh... it’s just you,” I said rubbing the back of my head, “sorry about that.”

“I-It’s ok,” she started trying to regain control of her breathing.

“Thought you were something else and... wait, what are you doing here exactly?” I asked looking at her.

“Well... I wanted to help you, like you’re helping us but by guiding you through the forest instead,” she replied.

“No.”

“What?”

“I said no,” I said crossing my arms, “aside from the fact that this is dangerous, you have a kid who would be devastated if anything happened to you.”

And I’LL be devastated if anything happens to you, given I kinda NEED you to be alive for me to be alive!” My mind shouted at me.

I ignored it as I raised my eyebrow at her, she lowered her head and kicked the ground with her hoof sheepishly.

“I know... it’s just... why are you doing all of this for us?” She suddenly asked me.

Because he’s a complete and utter moronic bastard with bollocks for brains,” my mind quickly said.

“Because... actually I don’t honestly know,” I replied ignoring my mind again, “I would feel bad if because of me, others will die or became slaves. Where I come from, slavery is seen as inhumane.”

“In-hu-what now?” She asked tilting her head.

“Uh... a really bad thing,” I said.

She gave me a look of understanding before an awkward silence loomed over the two of us.

“So... as I was saying,” I finally said, breaking the silence, “you need to go back home.”

“I know but... I really want to properly pay you back, for everything you’re doing for us,” she lightly stomped the ground with her hoof.

“You can repay me by going home and being with your family,” I said with a stern tone.

she was about to protest when I raised my eyebrow at her like a mother would telling off her child, she let out a deep sigh and smiled sheepishly at me before turning around and started to walk back.

“Ok... just... take care of yourself ok?” She said turning her head to look at me.

“I will, you ok to get back by yourself?” I asked, realising she’d be walking back by herself.

“Mhm, don’t worry about it.”

I nodded and watched her disappear into the bushes before my eyes went wide and I smacked myself in the forehead realising something.

“WAIT! Can you give me any indication on which direction I need to go!?” I shouted as I ran after her.


??? POV

I watched as that monstrosity ran after the small white pegasus before taking my leave, thanking the great ones it hadn’t noticed me although it was interesting to see that unlike last time... it seemed different. Sliding through the bushes silently, letting my tongue dart about to guide my senses in the dark I soon slipped into a shadow of a tree and reappeared in another shadow outside the large entrance that led to the long, winding tunnel which led into the large underground fortress that was the home to that idiotic Hoboll Alpha and his pack.

Slithering silently and in the shadows once more and reappearing somewhere inside the fortress, I passed by a row of chained ponies that were being led down one of the tunnels. Chuckling to myself lightly at their misfortune I came to the entrance of the Alpha’s room, the two Hoboll guards noticed me and pushed open the door for me. I slowly made my way into the room as the doors behind me closed, I sneered in disgust at the scene in front of my eyes.

That disgusting scum of an Alpha was sitting on a makeshift stone throne dotted with the bones of what was either his dinner or some poor bastard he had killed, beside him were three mares, each one puffy eyed with tear stained cheeks and were silently whimpering in the corner as their chained collars rattled lightly , I could smell the damn scent of the Alpha coming from their groins.

“Must you keep your whores in the same room?” I hissed as I slithered into the centre.

“WHO SAID DAT?! Oh... is jus’ you,” the Alpha muttered.

“Watch your tongue, worm!” I snapped.

The Alpha snorted at me as he eyed the mares again and grinned at them, they whimpered as he let out a hearty laugh and slapped his hand on the throne hard.

“Do you wan’ a go with dem? Dey be young and is very tight!”

I sighed as he let out another infernal laugh.

“No, and if you can pay attention for one second which I know is difficult for a creature with your intelligence.”

“What was dat?” He growled.

“We appear to have a problem, an old... ‘acquaintance’ of our Lord is nearing us,” I continued, ignoring his growl.

“So?”

“It means, you flea ridden whelp, that we need to prepare for his arrival,” I hissed, “my powers are still weak and I won’t be able to fight him fully myself-”

“Cos you is a weak snake,” he snickered, “unlike a Hoboll!”

As he laughed again I sighed and a brilliant gold fire engulfed my body.

“Then maybe I shall revert to my true form...”

I didn’t have my full power back yet but I had enough to revert to my true form, which I was going to save for when the abomination arrived, but I needed to beat some sense into the Alpha. The Alpha and the mares watched with wide eyes as the fire grew and suddenly vanished revealing my true self.

“Now...” my voice boomed throughout the room as I loomed over him, “you’re going to do exactly what I say...”
The Alpha nodded quietly as I let a small smirk form on my lips, my forked tongue darting out and licking my lips as I walked over to him, my hands twitching with magic.


Scott/Vault POV

“O-kay...” I started, resting my hands on my hips, “now we’re getting somewhere!”

I overlooked a large open plain of long grassland with a lake near the centre, smirking to myself in triumph after successfully making my way out of the forest. Snow Wing had shown me the direction I needed to head to get out of the forest and it was now up to me to find the Hoboll’s camp by myself, as she and the other ponies didn’t know where it was.

“Now... where to go from here?” I wondered aloud.

I looked up into the sky and shielded my eyes from the sunlight, the sun had risen about an hour or so ago and I made a rough guess that it was around sevenish in the morning, I was also thankful and puzzled that the sunlight didn’t turn me into a full stone statue - not that I was really complaining about it - before taking my first step into the grassland, loving the feeling of the grass between my toes.

The only problem I had now was dealing with the lack of any form of cover, the forest had opened into the grassland which rested before another small section of forest that surrounded a mountain, where I reckoned the camp was situated. I scanned the area, trying to find some form of cover but to no avail. Sighing to myself as I scratched my head, even though I was slightly concerned that there might be something hiding in the grass, I decided to throw all caution to the wind and I started to walk towards the mountains, all the while scanning my surroundings for any sign of movement.

I felt a shiver go down my spine and something inside of me was feeling wrong, I glanced around my surroundings trying to see if there might of been something there.

Nothing.

But... something still didn’t seem right to me.

Then I saw it, just briefly, a small movement coming from the tall grass to my left. I tried focusing my gaze on the area to try and see if I could see anything, but irritatingly I couldn't. Suddenly a rustle to my right caught my attention and my head darted to the sound, only to once again see a bird shoot out of the grass and fly away. The second my head had turned I heard the sudden sounds of something running with speed to my left, I spun round just in time to have a large cat like creature launch itself from the grass at me, claws out and mouth open with a roar.

I quickly rolled to my right just in time as the beast landed where I was not a second earlier, I growled at it as it growled back at me. Now that I had a quick chance to see what was trying attacking me, I was slightly surprised and oddly enough I was somewhat giddy with excitement.

It was about the same size as an adult male lion and had the same similar appearance, fur, tail, paws with claws and a tuft of fur around its neck. The only major differences were that its fur was green to match the grass around us and even more oddly, its head was a large canine skull - which confused and annoyed me how I hadn’t seen the colour of the skull against the green grass- with two yellow glowing eyes.

“Don’t even try it...” I growled.

I flexed my wings out suddenly and let out a roar, flexing my hands and felt something extend from my fingers, stealing a quick glance I saw that I had claws jutting out from them and smirked again. The beasts growled back at me but kept their distance, seemingly judging me to see if it was worth it. As it circled me I began to circle it back, never once taking my eyes off of it. After what seemed to long, it finally roared and lunged at me, quick as a flash I side stepped to give a punch to its side. I was shocked that my fist connected with its side, it immediately jerked its body and latched onto my arm with its claws and mouth, taking me completely by surprise.

I tried to punch it off with my other arm but the damn thing refused to let go of me and I cried in pain as its teeth finally sunk into my arm, roaring loudly, I slashed with my claws over and over trying to get it off me as I felt my rage building up again. During the slashing I lost my balance and fell, managing to twist my self to land on top of the beast, hoping my weight would cause it to let go.

Thankfully, it did. It yelped in pain and I felt its jaws release from my arm and I immediately retaliated by grabbing it with both hands, ignoring the pain and tossing it away from me a fair distance with a loud grunt. It rolled on the ground before getting up, but soon its back leg faltered and it fell slightly and I noticed the blood leaking from one of my attacks and smirked at it. The beast looked at me dead in the eyes and I looked back, both of us daring the other to make a move.

“Bring it on, Skull Dog...” I growled, deciding to give my foe a name.

The Skull Dog growled and began to charge me, albeit with less speed the previously due to the injury on its back leg, this gave me more time to brace myself for the incoming attack although with my right arm slightly buggered from the earlier bite I had to be careful. I braced myself and waited as the Skull dog’s speed increased and crouched down slightly, the Skull Dog tried to pounce me again but the second it put extra weight on its rear leg it yelped in pain and stumbled to the ground.

Seizing the opportunity I quickly ran over to the Skull Dog with a roar, grabbed its head and raised my claws up above my head and was about to slices its throat when I caught the gaze it gave me in its eyes. I saw no fear in his eyes, he looked up at me with recognition that I was stronger than it was and was willing to accept its fate, but there was something else behind its eyes, something that made something inside of me stirr, my rage suddenly dropped and I felt my body getting slightly colder.

“I can’t do it...” I whispered.

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! You choose NOW to of all times to decide NOT to kill something dangerous? Yes, you can fucking kill it! It tried to kill YOU first! NOW KILL IT!”

“No... I can’t, I can’t keep doing this as a first reaction.”

But why? It’s just a dumb beast.”

I looked at the Skull Dog again, it saw the hesitation in my eyes and tilted its head in confusion, yet didn’t attack me. I sighed and let go of his head and it immediately sprang to its feet and watched me with curiosity and caution.

“Go... better luck next time, eh?” I chuckled offering a smile and a nod.

The Skull Dog to my surprise nodded back to me before limping away towards the forest line, I watched it disappear before falling back onto my arse with a sigh.

So... any reason why you just did that you moron?” My mind asked me, “it was just a dumb beast.

“First off, it wasn’t a dumb beast. There was something... different about it, and as to why I did it... I... I don’t know, just something in his eyes... I couldn’t bring myself to finish him off, he wasn’t like the Hobolls... I can’t just kill things as a solution.”

You do realise that because of your stupid self doubting, it will probably just come back and finish us off later? And probably bring its little buddies with it.”

I ignored my mind and sighed again, wincing as I stood up and glanced over my wounds. They didn’t look as bad as I thought they were, although the Skull Dogs teeth had punctured my skin, the bite marks didn’t look too deep. I looked around and began to head towards the lake in order to clean myself and to have a drink, as I got there I knelt down and dipped my arm into the water and began to clean out the wound.

“Was it really a mistake to let that Skull Dog go?” I asked aloud.

I knew it wasn’t called a Skull Dog but I liked the ring of it, I ignored the shouting my mind was giving me which I had expected from it after asking such a question and looked up the the mountain. Now that I was closer to it I could see a small pillar of smoke from the far side of it, just dark enough to be visible and I grinned to myself. I took a few large gulps of water with my hand, not caring it wasn’t purified before standing up.

“Well... better get a move on,” I said standing up.

I looked at my injured arm and flexed it, wincing slightly as the pain throbbed through it, I muttered to myself as I began to head to head towards the mountain, keeping my body low and my eyes and ears alert for any signs of other Skull Dogs or Hobolls.


“KEEP MOVIN’, SCUM!”

A Hoboll kicked a pony that was faltering, he cried out in pain and fell to his side before being yanked up to his hooves by his mane. I growled from my hiding spot and gripped the branch of the tree tighter, wanting nothing more than to leap down there and strangle the living daylights out of the Hoboll.

I had managed to get through the forest undetected and had followed a travelling slave party of several Hobolls and more than just ponies and foals in cages, there was also a couple of griffons - which I had to stifle a gasp of excitement about - another odd looking dog like creature with a small vest on and another three creatures whose appearance I was amazed by. To put it frankly, they looked like black bugs on legs, with holes missing from the legs. They had bug wings and a crooked horn and visible fangs, in a separate cage, weighed down with chains and with more guards around it were two minotaurs that were struggling in their bonds. When the had gotten to the end of the pathway they were all lead out of the cage, chained in a line together.

“‘Er boss!” The Hoboll shouted, “we got’s anotha’ load of slaves!”

“Right, open dat gates!” Another shouted back.

I looked up as the sound of heavy metal scraping against the ground, watching as two huge metal gates - surprised I hadn’t noticed them before - slowly opened up, leading into the mountain. I debated whether or not to just simply leap down and try to infiltrate my way in through the front door, but that was suicide.

“This is going to be more difficult than I thought...”

I decided that the best thing to do was to wait for the opportune moment to leave my hiding spot and enter the fortress, coming up with a plan to try and get the slaves freed and possibly fight back against the Hobolls, although that idea was extremely risky as most of the slaves that had just been brought in - minus the minotaurs- didn’t look like they were in any shape or form to fight let alone hold a weapon.

But I would be greatly outnumbered and alone if I didn’t get any kind of back up in there, regrettably, I decided that convincing the slaves to rise up was the best plan I could do if I wanted any chance of this being a success. As I waited, thinking in silence, my caught some movement in the corner of my eyes and looked up near the top of the gates just catching the body of a Hoboll disappearing into a side passageway. I smirked as I slowly made my way down from the tree and crouched low.

I’d found a way in.

Slowly making my way to the edge of the tree line, I scanned the area in front of me for any sign of guards and sighed a sigh of relief seeing none. I quickly darted out from my cover, keeping my body low, and rushed to the edge of the mountain wall before quickly climbing up it. As I got to the top, I found another path that was hidden just behind the wall I’d scaled that led to a secret door to the side of the mountain. As I slowly slinked my way towards the door, I froze as it began to open.

If they caught me now, it was game over.

Panicking slightly, I saw a small hole in the wall and slammed myself against it, keeping my body as flat as I could and closed my eyes, praying for some kind of miracle.

What are you doing?! They’re going to see you!!” My mind screamed at me.

My heart beat rapidly as I waited for the inevitable, not noticing the odd tingle around my body.

“So wot you reckon on dem new slaves?”

“Dey is alright I guess, see dem pointy horns? Lotta’ muscle on dem!”

“Yeah! More muscle mean more work to make it do!”

The two Hobolls laughed as I heard them walk past me and down the pathway, once I was certain they were gone I opened my eyes and let out a sigh of relief.

“That was to close...”

I crept from the small hole and looked glanced at my arm which was slowly turning back from brown to grey, my eyebrow raised as I looked at the brown wall then back at my arm before a grin formed on my face.

“No wonder they didn’t see me... I can hide in plain sight against stone! Though not sure how I did it but still, that’s so awesome!”

I clamped a hand over my mouth as I cried out in happiness, listening and looking around to see if I had been heard at all. Thankfully I hadn’t and I made my way slowly approached the door, opening it carefully and slipping inside into the darkness.


---x---


“This place is a bloody maze...” I muttered in annoyance.

I had been wondering around the underground tunnels for a good while now, I had worked out how to activate my blending in plain sight power and every now and again I had hid against a wall as a party of Hobolls would pass by me or waiting as a bunch of slaves were marched to their tasks, again making me want to just step out and rip the guts out of the Hobolls.
Currently, I was hanging from a wall looking for any indication of going in the right direction. I had also learned that if I was careful enough, I could crawl along the walls whilst blending in and without being detected. I had, though, on more than one occasion nearly been caught and I swear, if I could shit bricks I would have.

As I was looking around, I heard a shout coming from one of the tunnels nearby. Curiously, I decided to go and investigate it and slowly crawled my way along the wall and down the tunnel. I soon came to a large open area which had several cages contained in it, each one holding a large number of ponies, griffons, minotaurs and the weird bug pony things. One of them in particular caught my eye, it was taller than the others and looked different to the others, from where I was I think she had reptilian eyes.

Carefully, I crawled down off the wall and circled my way around the area, keeping to the shaodws behind the rocks. In the centre of the cages surrounding a medium sized campfire were three Hobolls, all laughing and drinking from tankards.

“Why do da others complain ‘bout guardin’ dese slaves? It’s da best job!” One laughed.

“Sittin’ ‘ere, drinkin’, eatin’ and fuckin’, what’s not tah like?” Another said.

My blood boiled at that last part, I growled quietly as I made my way up towards the centre of the ceiling, my claws digging into the roof hard to prevent me from falling.

“Anyways, I gotta bleed da lizard,” the third Hoboll said, standing up and walking away from the group.

As he got up, I chose this moment to quickly make my way up to the group and take them out by surprise, but as I came closer I couldn't resist the opportunity of a lifetime. I made a clicking sound with my mouth and wiggled my fingers before coughing, and in the best french accent I could muster.

“Gentlemen.”

Author's Note:

[Edited version to come.] Any errors, feel free to let me know!