• Published 22nd Jun 2013
  • 3,205 Views, 149 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 24 "Eternity's Cry" - Jacoboby1



Twilight ascends to become an Alicorn, Private and her having a falling out. Twilight is determined to see through it for the good of Equestria. Private discovers a plot to put miasma in Twilight. But before he can stop it, he's sent to the futu

  • ...
6
 149
 3,205

Chapter 4 "Among the Dead"

Chapter 4

“Among the Dead”

Night fell as Zecora led me through the Everfree Forest in almost total silence. The forest seemed much more unnatural than usual. I felt a strange unnerving feeling as we walked. I finally asked, “Zecora, where are we going?”

“To the Princess of the night,” she said, still facing forward. “She will help you to set things right.”

“Luna is okay!” I said, happy that she made it out alive.

Zecora’s expression was just grim as we made it to her hut. I’ve only been to the hut a couple of times, but somehow it looked creepier than usual. Zecora opened the door and gestured with her head for me to enter.

I walked in and saw a sorry sight. There, lying on the bed with blankets covering her, was Luna…

She did not look well, her midnight blue coat was matted and her mane didn’t blow like it usually does. Instead, it fell flat around her head, giving her a more natural, but still sickly, appearance. Her wings also looked like they lost a great deal of feathers. When she opened her teal eyes she smiled weakly at me. “Private, it is good to see you again, yet you haven’t aged a day.”

“Luna!” I ran to her and sat beside her. I felt a deep pain in my heart from seeing the Princess of the Night in such a state. “What happened to you? Where’s Celestia? What th-“ She cut me off by setting a hoof on my lips.

“Do not fret, my friend,” she said, her voice tired. “You look about as worse as I do. You must have had a terrible ordeal.”

I just stared at her as she set her hoof back down on her chest. Zecora walked over and set some odd colored potion in front of Luna, the princess drank it slowly out of the bowl.

“Luna, what happened to you?” I asked again.

“She had fought against evil,” Zecora said, looking at me “But, the battle had taken most of her strength and will.”

“Will she ever get better?” I asked.

Slowly, Zecora shook her head “My powers of healing are great, but not even I can set these wounds straight. The potion will only ease the pain. For her body and mind has suffered irreparable strain.”

I felt like crying, honestly crying over the state of Luna. Was this just my feelings? Or was Nocturne in as much pain as I was and we were both feeling it.

“Private,” Luna said, slowly taking my hoof. “Thank you, for being here in this dark time.”

“Luna, what happened to your sister?” I asked slowly.

Luna closed her eyes, tears falling from them. “She has passed, she used far too much power stopping Lunard. She, oh Private…” She cried even more, coughing as she did.

I then felt a weight on my neck. I looked down and saw Tenacity was there. I looked to my right and saw Nocturne was sitting there. The large grey unicorn stallion was looking down at Luna with such sorrow. She looked to him, a look of shock on her face.

“Nocturne?” she asked, putting a hoof to her lips.

“Tis I, Luna,” Nocturne said, smiling at her. “I’m right here for you.”

“Nocturne, please forgive me," she said, openly weeping now. “I, didn’t know, the miasma, but that is no excuse for what happened.”

“Shh,” Nocturne walked to her, the cord of light connecting him and I. I looked at Zecora, the zebra was simply smiling. Could she see Nocturne too?

“It’s alright now, Luna,” he said gently. “I hope you can forgive me. for turning from you after you became Nightmare.” A guilty expression came to his face. “I should’ve tried harder to help you, to understand your pain.”

“Do not let the guilt lay upon yourself, my ancient love,” she said, reaching for him from the bed. Her hoof passed through Nocturne. I could see the tears welling up in Nocturne’s eyes. Here he was, so close to the mare he loved, and he couldn’t even hold her.

“In my immortal life, I never had to face true death,” Luna said, looking at me. “Still, I am happy to be among friends now that the time has come.”

“No Luna!” I yelled, tears welling up in my eyes “I already lost too many friends! You can’t die too!”

“Friend,” Luna said, smiling weakly. “It has been too long since I’ve been called that. I’m happy that you consider me such, descendent of Nocturne. Thank you.”

“Luna,” I said, tears streaming down my face. “Don’t die, please…”

“Before I go Private, I have one last gift.” Her horn touched mine and I felt as if I got a crash course in a matter of seconds.

“What, did you do?” I asked.

“Granted you a memory spell. It's the same one I used on you when first we met. It will aid you after I have passed.”

“Luna, wait, please don’t die…”

She reached up a hoof to wipe away my own tears. “It will be fine, Private. I will be with my sister and family again soon…”

“Preventus.”

“What?” Luna asked.

“My name, my real name, is Preventus,” I said slowly. “You may call me that.”

She smiled slowly and replied, “Preventus, such a unique name. May you find happiness somewhere in this dark world…” She looked up at Nocturne.

The Stallion, slowly raised his hoof. “Come with me, the chains will never bind you, all your grief, at last, at last behind you. Beings above, look down on her in mercy.”

Luna closed her eyes and I watched her spirit leave her body and take Nocturne’s hoof. She smiled and looked to the sky. “Forgive me all my trespasses, and take me to your glory…”

I felt the tears well up in my eyes as Luna was lifted to the sky floating up through the ceiling. I looked down at her cold lifeless body, Luna had died smiling. I looked at Nocturne, the pain in his yellow eyes was evident.

Then everything went to black…

____________________________________________________

Nocturne sat with his back turned to me in the black place. I looked on the once intimidating warrior as he sobbed. So much pain was in this ancient warrior’s heart, as was in mine.

He slowly turned to me and said, “We’ve never had a chance to speak like this.”

“No, I guess not,” I replied, looking away.

“Private, make me a promise” he said, continuing to stare at me.

“Nocturne…” I said, finally looking back at him.

“Never let her die again, never again!” he cried. “Find a way to fix this! Make me the promise that if you can, you will never let her die again! Luna doesn’t deserve it…”

I looked at the warrior and said, “Nocturne, I swear on my life, I will protect Luna as my friend forever. If I find a way to go back, I will never let you feel this pain again!”

“Thank you,” he said, slowly smiling. “You, are truly my descendent, others in our line have great grief within them. Hopefully, you will allow us all to rest one day, when the fighting is truly over.”

A light enveloped Nocturne and he vanished from my sight. I looked down, how… how could she?

How could Twilight allow this?

A strange aura slowly covered my body. I clenched my teeth in anger at all of this. I roughly shook my head, regaining control, and the aura faded. Just, all of this, so much pain and suffering. Twilight should’ve been here. She should’ve tried to help Luna!

She should’ve done something!

_______________________________________________________

I opened my eyes to see Zecora putting Luna in the back of a wagon. The body of the princess was wrapped in cloth and laying peacefully. I looked at Zecora and asked, “Where are you taking her?”

Zecora looked at me and replied sagely, “You do not wish to go, for your pain will only grow.”

“I deserve to see her buried!” I yelled “She was my friend! She died in front of me! Why couldn’t anypony save her?”

“She died without pain,” Zecora said somberly. “That is all one could hope to gain. None remember her except you and I. Do not mourn her, Private Eye.”

“Why can’t anypony remember anything!” I yelled, bucking a nearby tree in disgust.

Zecora’s normal rhythmic voice turned, normal sounding almost. “It's because of her grief. Twilight Sparkle was so filled with grief over the death of her friend and brother after waking from her coma,” she began explaining.

“You didn’t rhyme,” I said in shock.

Zecora looked down. “We are passed the time for rhyme. Twilight Sparkle then cast a spell on herself and everypony in the world. It was a powerful memory spell that only the most powerful of unicorns can perform, but being a young Alicorn allowed her to perform it without any trouble. The spell erased her memories of those who had passed, erasing her grief and guilt over the situation. She believed that if she erased her memories of her friends she would be able to rule without feeling grief. She soon erased all memories of her friends and family. Including you.”

“Me?” I shook my head and said, “But I didn’t die! I was sent here! That’s why I haven’t aged!”

“Twilight didn’t know that,” she said flatly. She then continued, “The spell had a devious side effect. It affected everypony in the world. Every time one died, the memories of that being were erased. They would not feel pain, nor suffer grief over the death.”

"That's just cowardly," I yelled. “You can’t just forget the ponies you love! You can’t just erase them because you’re afraid of pain!”

Zecora’s eyed me somberly and I calmed down. She then went on, “Eventually, the nobles began to influence Twilight Sparkle. They made her enact laws against hybrids and anypony not a unicorn. Twilight only believed in the good of Equestria, without friendship there was nothing to temper her mind.”

Twilight…

“I was saved from the spell when Luna found me, she used the memory spell she gave you to unlock my memories,” she explained. “Now I will honor her by laying her to rest with the others.”

“Others?”

“Do not follow me,” she ordered.

“I have to know,” I argued stubbornly.

“It will only cause you great pain, perhaps even madness like Pinkie.”

“I am not afraid!”

“…come then.”

________________________________________________________

Gravestones… thousands of them.

They were strewn everywhere in the clearing before me. I just stood there, taking in the sight of so many dead. Zecora stood behind me, her expression neutral. She must’ve seen this sight so many times.

“How many?” I asked, just looking out at the sea of graves.

“Too many for even I to count,” Zecora admitted. “Nor would I want to count them.”

I walked forward, vaguely hearing Zecora’s voice calling for me but I paid her no mind. I walked up to the first grave before me and wiped away some of the dirt…

Scootaloo Themera Loftwing

No! Another grave… and another.

Tyranus Thatcher

Sour Grapes

More names…

Cross Adamus Eye

No, not my cousin. Not Cross, you can’t be serious! Why’d he have to die?

“He perished during the changeling invasion,” Zecora said, her voice comforting. “He died trying to protect Sweetie Belle, from what I heard.”

I came to another grave stone, I felt a cold feeling of dread as I looked at the name. No, no Celestia for the love of all things that is good, no!

No just, why? Not her, no…

Ditzy Doo

I looked at the grave beside her and saw another name.

Dinky Doo

Dinky, little Dinky. Why? She didn’t deserve this. Wait, her father was a unicorn. Had they killed her for that, or did she die in the invasion?

I then came to another gravestone and stopped dead in my tracks. I fell on my haunches, bowed my head and openly wept. No, please no, not him. Anypony but him. I could handle the loss of anypony else, but not him… not…

Tailspin Eye

“Private,” Zecora said, putting a hoof on my shoulder. “You should not stay here.”

“You can bury Luna,” I said, my voice sounding hollow “I just want to be with him.”

I didn’t see Zecora’s face but I heard her walk away. I put a hoof on my little brother’s name. Tailspin, I failed you. I’m your big brother, I should’ve been there for you. I should’ve protected you. No, my baby brother. Come back, please. I need you…

I can’t stand to lose you, my best friend. My little brother and my reason for living. Tailspin, say something. Tell me how you want to be a writer when you grow up. Tell me all about school. Tell me that you love me.

My little brother was gone. Tailspin, my little brother, just gone… Twilight, she did this! She allowed this to happen, and she should be punished. The whole world should be punished! He didn’t do anything wrong! He didn’t have to die! He was just a kid! It wasn’t his fault he couldn’t walk or fly! Why’d he have to die? He was a good kid, kind and sweet! He never would hurt anypony!

I never got to say goodbye, and it’s all Twilight’s fault!

I turned and heard rustling in the bushes. I saw Blueblood, clad in Shining Armor’s uniform with about half a dozen guards with him. He sniffed and said, “What a filthy forest, her majesty has a lot of nerve to send us to this place in search of a stinking commoner.”

“Captain look!” one cried, pointing to me. “That’s him, I recognize him from the square!”

I slowly turned around to face them. They seemed to ignore the fact they were standing in a graveyard, how fitting…

“Hybrid! By the laws of Equestria you are under arrest for being the sire of blood traitors and attacking a noble!” Blueblood ordered. “Now stand down and surrender at once!”

I smirked and replied, not even recognizing my own voice, “No thanks, Blueballs.”

“What did you just call me?” he cried. “You are standing against seven members of the royal guard and you dare to insult me!”

“Oh I dare, Blueballs. I dare very much so. I know who you really are, nothing more than a coward who hides behind others, using them as shields. I’m in a very bad mood today. I highly suggest you leave before I take a spear and shove it up your pampered ass.”

“Forget her majesty’s orders! Kill him now!” he cried pointing at me with his hoof. The guards walked towards me, using their magic to draw swords and spears.

Half of them had spears, the other’s had swords. They all had more combat training then I have. They didn’t have as much of a reason to as fight I did though. The rage at what had been done to my loved ones welled up inside me. I was going to mop the floor with them.

I dodged a spear as it was thrust at me. Grabbing it, I pulled the owner into my hoof and punched his light’s out. Another guard tried to swing at me with a sword, but I blocked it with the spear. I used my magic to hit him in the chest, and send him flying. When was my magic this strong? Don’t care; time to take care of these bastards!

I raised the fallen soldier’s sword with my magic and blocked two sword wielders as they thrust at me. I then twirled the spear in my hooves and swept it under them. They crashed to the ground, their legs giving way under them. I turned and bucked them both into a nearby tree. Nocturne’s strength? No, something more was guiding my fight. I vaguely wondered who I was channeling?

I dodged a spear thrust and the guard tried firing a spell off at me. I held up my hoof and a shield came up. How was I this good? I didn’t see Eclipse fighting beside me, and he was the magic expert among my ancestors. I dropped to the ground and pulled out Blackbird. I shot the guard in the leg and he down he fell. In a rage I charged at him, turned, then bucked him right in the face.

He fell back and I looked down. I saw my cord of light was connecting me to a strange unicorn stallion.

He was about my age by the looks of him, his mane was long and black, he was clad in a similar outfit to Sombra’s, sans crown. His coat was grey like mine and his eyes were a verdant blue. He looked almost like he could’ve been royalty at one time. Yet I haven’t heard of a different unicorn king in ages…

I ducked as Blueblood came at me with a rapier sword. I dodged and weaved my way around him. He growled, “Pathetic commoner! I will tolerate your tricks no longer!”

I knocked the blade from his magic with both of my newly acquired blades. I then glared at him and said, "You will pay the highest price for what has happened here."

“You think a hybrid can match me?” he yelled, his horn glowing and he fired a beam of magic at me. My own horn glowed silver and I met his magic. Our beams clashed and I felt a rush enter me. I looked to my side and saw the unicorn again. He looked at me, smiled, and his eyes slowly turned to those of green and purple lined magic, like Sombra’s.

I felt magic course through me, I never felt this powerful before! I grinned as my magic changed to match my newfound friend. The magic soon overtook Blueblood and he got hit by the full force of both our magics.

Strange, no chanting…

I ignored that and ran up to Blueblood. I then slammed my hoof into his face and my telekinesis lifted him into the air by his neck. I held up my hoof and grinned as he squirmed in pain. He deserved every bit of pain for taking part in this. One little squeeze, that is all it would take…

"DADDY, NO!"

My magic broke and I saw Blueblood fall to the ground unconscious. The unicorn from before soon faded. Who was he? What happened exactly?

I felt a great fatigue on myself, as if I used a lot of magic quickly. But, how was that possible? I shouldn’t even have been capable of half the spells I'd just shot out. Also, who was that unicorn? He felt, almost scarily familiar, like I was looking into my own soul.

Why did he look so much like Sombra and I? Was he my ancestor? If so, why did he wield the some frequency of magic Sombra has? I felt exhausted, worn down to my very bones. I will rest now, just rest. Then tomorrow...

I will set things right, one way or another.