• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 3,162 Views, 424 Comments

Solem Perditum - PropMaster



Princess Celestia wanders the lunar landscape, exploring the dark side of the moon. What she discovers there may be more than she can handle.

  • ...
8
 424
 3,162

- V -

- V -


The interior of the large building was furnished sparsely: a chest, carved from lunar rock and plainly decorated with a crescent moon, a raised dias supporting a throne of rock, and a lowered pit filled with soft sediment. Celestia stood in the center of the room, looking around slowly, making certain to take in any details no matter how small. Anything could help her understand the nature of this odd city marring the otherwise untouched landscape of Equis’ satellite. What purpose did it serve? There had only been one other being present on the moon before Celestia, and that had been Nightmare Moon. This was obviously her doing, but that still did not answer the question of why.

Celestia approached the chest and tapped the lid lightly. It creaked under her hoof, but was otherwise of sturdy construction. Using her telekinesis, she opened the box and peered in. The chest was empty.

Celestia sighed, peering closer, and found to her surprise that the chest was not empty. The bottom of the chest reflected back her own face. Reaching in, she retrieved a single square sheet of reflective glass, a simple mirror. Holding it out, she set it carefully against the wall, and closed the chest. She examined the mirror, and discovered a spell attached to the glass.

Celestia frowned, noting the familiarity of the spell, but was unable to place when the last time she’d seen it used. With a small shrug, she took a few steps back from the mirror, ensuring her shield spell was still at full strength, and then activated the spell.

The mirror shimmered, and then a face was reflected from within the item. Dark blue eyes with draconian pupils stared out across the ages, from behind a darkly flowing astral mane of the deepest shadow.



Celestia’s head jerked back with surprise, as the voice rang out clearly from the mirror. A recording spell. She leaned forward with interest.

Nightmare Moon frowned, looking annoyed. “I’ve erected several small buildings, simply filling my time. I’ve explored much of the surrounding area, and found nothing of interest. However, here in the deepest darkness of this crater on the dark side of the moon, I find myself feeling more at home. There is an appeal to this location. I believe because it is cloaked in darkness, just like Equis was to be cloaked in eternal night, that I feel more at ease here. I can pretend that I gained victory instead of being defeated by my sister.”

The final word left Nightmare Moon’s lips as a growl. She looked away, murmuring something that Celestia could not hear, and then she turned back to face out from the mirror. “While I am bound to this moon for a thousand years, there is no doubt in my mind that I can break the spell of my exile and return to claim my throne. Until that time, though, to stave off the solitude, I will build. Every day, I will add a building, to mark the time and to plan the capital city of my glorious empire that I will create in place of the mountain castle of Canterlot.”

Nightmare Moon sneered, showing fangs. “Canterlot. Such a silly name. I cannot abide puns. My city will be called Sunfall, and I will pave its streets with the blood of my enemies. I will drag my defeated sister by her pastel mane through my throne room and chain her to the walls, and force her to watch as I tear her loyal ponies limb from limb before her weeping eyes.”

The image in the mirror faded, and Celestia stood quietly, contemplating the ancient recording. Though it was a thousand years old, and the threats hollow, Celestia couldn’t help but feel a chill run down her spine.