• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 3,160 Views, 424 Comments

Solem Perditum - PropMaster



Princess Celestia wanders the lunar landscape, exploring the dark side of the moon. What she discovers there may be more than she can handle.

  • ...
8
 424
 3,160

- III -

- III -


The darkness filled the grey landscape, casting it into a sharp contrast of blacks and darker greys. The shadows stretched forward from Celestia’s lantern sprite as it hovered silently above Celestia, staying only a pace ahead of the alicorn. Her own shadow stretched out behind her, into the black, as if reaching for the brighter lunar seas far behind her.

Celestia followed the hoofprints as they meandered over a rise in the landscape. Her steps became labored as she climbed the increasing incline, until she had to pause. She assessed the rise before her, and the hoofprints that stoically climbed up it, before squinting her eyes closed. She cast a complex spell, easing the bonds of gravity further from her being, and then resumed the climb while maintaining the spell’s effect. She found the climb easier, but after a few minutes the strain of holding together such a difficult spell began to take its toll. Celestia grit her teeth together and lunged for the top of the hill, her powerful jump carrying her nearly to the top of the sharp incline. She halted at the top, dismissing the spell, and stood stock-still.

The hill wasn’t a hill. It was the lip of a crater, a massive thing that stretched out from her vantage point out toward points unseen, well beyond the range of her small light. Beyond loomed dark shapes, previously hidden from her sight by the slope of the crater’s wall. She cast her lantern sprite forward, sending it floating out a dozen yards.

Celestia’s breath caught in her throat, and she sat down heavily.

There was a building, long and low, crudely constructed, but recognizable. Four walls, a sloped roof of lunar grey, and a open doorway. Beyond that structure, there loomed more, perhaps a dozen being illuminated by her spell’s glow. Even further loomed more shapes, growing taller and more complex.

Celestia swallowed hard, staring into the beginnings of what appeared to be a city. The layout was obvious, now that she was paying attention. Blocks laid out, with buildings grouped close together, and wide lanes of lunar dust that served as streets, which drew inwards towards what she assumed was the center of the crater.

Standing up slowly, Celestia spread her wings and summoned her lantern sprite back to her side. Taking a deep breath, she took a running leap over the edge of the crater’s wall, and glided gently down into the nearest lane between the low buildings that made up the outskirts of the city.

As her hooves touched down in the dust, a line of dark blue light ran from that first point of contact, through the ground, and into the nearest buildings. Celestia felt the buildup of energy and the activation of ancient magics, and she braced herself, erecting her most potent shielding spell and warding herself against the first dozen types of magical attacks she could think of. The buildings nearest her began to shudder, and Celestia clenched her teeth, ready for what was to come.