• Published 15th Jun 2013
  • 3,161 Views, 424 Comments

Solem Perditum - PropMaster



Princess Celestia wanders the lunar landscape, exploring the dark side of the moon. What she discovers there may be more than she can handle.

  • ...
8
 424
 3,161

- XVIII -

- XVIII -


Celestia followed the hoofprints through a cratered landscape, her pace steady. She’d passed through the twilit highlands between the dark side of the moon and the bright side. The sun had been a welcome sight, and she’d taken a long break to drink in the energy it provided her. Feeling recharged and with new energy coursing through her being, her course followed Luna’s ancient trail.

Cresting a the lip of a small crater, Celestia’s eyes widened in surprise. The interior of this crater held within it a small-scale model of the ancient Canterlot Castle, wrought with intricate detail. Celestia approached the little castle, peering within at the sculpted lunar dust, held together by a few motes of binding magic. Her gaze traveled to the forward-most balcony, the same balcony that abutted the grand tower at the highest point of the castle, and smiled gently.

Two miniature alicorns stood side-by-side. One was taller than the other, and bore a small sun insignia on her flank, while the other was more lithe, with an unmistakable lunar sigil. Celestia examined the two pieces, and then extended out a tendril of magic. The larger alicorn model’s legs bent and it sat down, as did the smaller one. Side by side they sat, and Celestia extended the large alicorn’s delicate dust wing over the shoulders of the smaller. Nodding, she stepped away from the fragile castle. Hoofsteps led away, up the side of the crater, and Celestia followed.

As she left the crater, a flash of bright light appeared in the far distance, blindingly brilliant. Celestia raised an eyebrow in concern, and trotted towards the light.

It took her a few minutes to reach the sight of the flash. As she grew closer, she saw a figure, slumped in the dust, twitching. Celestia’s trot became a full blown gallop as she sprinted towards the downed form. She enhanced her movement speed with another spell, doubling her sprint’s pace, and arrived within mere moments.

The figure was a gold-armored, grey-coated unicorn. A royal guard. One of her royal guards. Panting desparately, Celestia slid to a stop before the unicorn, extending her spells of breathing and atmosphere and warmth over the trembling form, and knelt at the guard’s side.

He barely moved, his muscles spasming. Celestia desperately wove spells of healing around his body, pouring her strength into stabilizing the unicorn. The trembling slowly subsided, and Celestia desperately turned the stallion over, unclasping his golden breastplate, and pressed her ear to his chest.

His heart pulsed weakly, and Celestia closed her eyes, listening to the blessed sound. Sitting up after a moment, she began working again, coaxing warmth into his being. He’d been exposed for minutes to the harsh vacuum of space, and he’d nearly frozen to death. She feared for his extremities, which were still cold and stiff still.

Finally, satisfied that she had done all she could for the unicorn, she lay down beside him, extending a wing over his back. Reaching one hoof up, she removed his helm. The spell of anonymity that was woven into the helmet dissipated, revealing his true form. His coat was a deep brown color, and his mane was a shockingly bright blue.

She smiled at the unknown soldier.

Author's Note:

Chapter posted on June 30th, edited slightly on July 1st to fix an accidental look-alike situation.