• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 3,054 Views, 490 Comments

Emblem of Harmony: The Blazing Sword - icebraker



Marked Defiance, the student of Equestria's Royal Tactician finds himself in Elibe where an evil plot threatens to destroy both worlds. Fire Emblem Crossover

  • ...
21
 490
 3,054

PreviousChapters Next
Chrysalis' Story Chapter 11: Unexpected Development

“I-I can’t move!” Marked said desperately as he kept trying to move, but his body wouldn’t follow his brains commands. The little colt just stood there, stock still, except for his mouth and eyes.

“It’s ok Mark, just come over here slowly and get behind me-”

“No, I mean I really can’t move. It’s like something is holding me.” Marked said, interrupting the orange stallion, his eyes beginning to water in fear.

“It’s alright Mark, I’m coming, just stay calm.” The stallion said, though his voice sounded calm and reassuring, Marked could still sense the increasing urgency and fear in his tone.

The little unicorn colt tried to nod but couldn’t. His body didn’t seem to be his anymore as he tried taking deep breaths to calm down. To his horror, his left hoof took a slow but meaningful step forward. He really wasn’t in control.

The orange stallion’s eyes widened at what the colt was doing, “Mark, stop!”

His terror had reached breaking point. Marked’s tears fell freely, as his body took another step, “I-It’s not me! *hiccup* H-Help me please *hiccup*, I-I-I’m scared.” Marked managed to say, failing in his attempts to not sob.

From the corner of his eye, Marked saw the orange stallion now start rushing to his side, “I’m coming Mark!”

“GAMBIT!!!”

“HHHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!”

The events occurred once again, Marked watched as the blood seeped into his coat.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHA."

"Don't die! Please don't die!"

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHA."

"WHERE ARE YOU!? STOP LAUGHING! STOP LAUGHING!!!" He looked around for the source of the laughter. There was nothing else in the clearing but him and-

“HHHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!!”

“DAMMIT! WAKE UP!”

“HHHHIIIIIISSSSSSSSS!!!”

*******************************************************************************************

Mark jumped out of his bed, causing the baby basilisk that was hissing in worry on his face to fall off, and rushed to the bathroom.He stood there over the toilet, his face drenched with tears and sweat, as he dry heaved, wondering if something would come up from the spasms. Nothing did.

After what seemed like hours to him, the convulsions stopped, and Mark took a step back before practically collapsing onto the bathroom floor.

‘It’s alright Mark, it was just-’
‘Five years.’
‘Pardon?’
‘It’s been five years since I had ....that. Why did I just have it again?’
‘It was most likely triggered by your little ‘adventure’ in the Everfree yesterday since that was the second time you've ever gone in there.’
‘It’s nice having a subconscious that can actually tell me these things instead of leaving me to guess.’
‘Thanks.’

Mark tiredly picked himself back up. His eyes were wet, and heavy as he trudged over to the shower. Turning the knob and waited for the water to warm up, testing it with his hoof before actually entering it. The shower was brief but served it’s purpose of rinsing the sweat out of his fur. He glanced at the strands of mane that weren't supposed to be in his face, it was surprisingly longer than he remembered, but then again he only ever paid attention to his hair when it was mentioned or when it got in the way.

‘Looks like I’ll be getting a haircut today.’
‘...I’m not sure it’s just that...something feels...different.’
‘Probably just lack of sleep taking it’s toll.’
‘Maybe. Speaking of which, you need to at least try to go back to sleep.’

Turning off the water, he slowly cast a spell Twilight had taught him during one of their magic lessons together which made the water slide off of his coat.

He exited the bathroom, looked over his apartment with tired and sullen eyes.

It was a small apartment with a kitchen, a bathroom, a small living space, and a bedroom. Bastion had payed for it during Mark’s stay in Ponyville. Overall it was simple, comfortable, and quiet most of the time. Different and, in it’s own way, better than the larger room he had back in Canterlot. The only recent additions were the small bowls of water, rocks, and stones for Lizzy to eat, and a newspaper spread on the floor since he didn’t really know when she would need to relieve herself.

Looking out the window, he noticed that Celestia hadn’t raised the sun yet.

With a tired sigh he walked over to the living space and laid on the couch. It wouldn't be smart after all to get clean and then fall asleep on a dirty bed. He felt a small weight on his side accompanied by a light hiss. Looking over, he saw his new pet basilisk looking at him. “Sorry about earlier Lizzy. It was just a bad dream...”, he smiled when she responded with a hiss and twirled around like a cat before curling up into a sleeping position.

‘Just a really bad dream.....’ Mark thought as he relaxed his muscles and closed his eyes.

*******************************************************************************************

‘....You’re aware that there are ponies staring, right?’
‘Don’t care. Too tired. Come to me oh bitter nectar of the gods.’
‘Wow. You’re really tired if that’s what you start calling coffee.’

Mark took another light sip from the coffee he had ordered. After his night terror he had tried desperately to sleep, however, was unsuccessful and just laid there reading japonyese comics. After about two hours of this he eventually fell asleep only to be awakened by the afternoon sun in his face a couple of hours later. Tired and groggy, he didn’t feel like doing anything himself so he left his apartment for the cafe, with Lizzy comfortably sleeping on his back, not even bothering to wear his cloak. When he got to the cafe, he ordered a coffee with lots of sugar, and a banana.

‘Seriously though, you’re getting looks.’
‘Told you. I. Don’t. Care. Now let me drink my coffee in peace. Damn Brain.’
‘No need to be rude. Anyways, when were you going to see Twilight? It’s already afternoon apparently’
‘Probably after I actually wake up. Also, sorry for the attitude, but seriously, shut up.’

Mark thought taking one more sip of coffee before setting the mug down with a content sigh. Picking up the banana he peeled it and was about to bite into it when he did actually look around. There were a few ponies glancing at him who suddenly turned back around like it wasn’t obvious that they were looking at him. Other ponies didn’t even try to look away.

‘Ok. You’re right. Something’s going on.’
‘Told you so. How about you just head to Twilight’s now. At least there you can drink your coffee in peace.’
‘And between some caffeine and the fact that random ponies are looking at me like that, I think I can consider myself awake.’

Mark left the payment and a tip on the table as he lifted the coffee mug with his magic and started walking towards Twilight’s library.

On way, he noticed some ponies were stopping what they were doing to get a look at him including Big Mac who stared at him slack-jawed. He sped up to a trot, his coffee shaking a little as his magic faltered slightly from lack of focus. From the corner of his eye, some of the ponies wanted to get a better look as he walked by.

‘Did that guy just wink at me?!’
‘Yes. Yes he did.’

Seeing Twilight’s library and home in sight, his pace went from trot to outright sprint. He quickly entered the tree, almost spilling his coffee when he slammed the door causing a large and tall stack of books to fall over.

Spike stopped making lunch and he walked up to the pony slamming doors, with an irritated expression, “Hey, what’s going on? I just stacked those earlier!”

“Spike, I think something’s wrong with some of the ponies in town. They’re staring at me, some in ways I don’t even want to think about.” Mark said with a shiver as he proceeded to gulp down the rest of his coffee and set the mug down.

‘Did you know your voice sounds different? It's as almost as soft as Fluttershy's but higher pitched and louder in volume.’
‘That’s probably from the mix of fear, tiredness, and caffiene.’

Spike scratched the top of his head with a claw, “That’s strange, I guess, but who-”

Mark raised an eyebrow at the understatement, “Strange? Finding a pony freakishly obsessed with jelly is strange. This is both freaky and kinda scary. What the heck is going on?” Mark said, the last part more to himself as he began to think of any reason for some of the town’s change in behavior towards him. Pacing back and forth.

‘So what do we know?’
‘Next to nothing other than the fact that you’re tired and you get a bit paranoid when you’re tired.’
‘Well my lack-of-sleep paranoia was right this time around apparently.’

Spike started backing away from the unicorn, “Um, maybe I should get-”

Mark had an epiphany as he finished Spike’s sentence, “Twilight. Spike, where’s Twilight? She’ll probably be able to help or know whatever’s going on.”

“Umm...in the basement studying-”

“Thanks Spike.” Mark said as he rushed to the door to Twilight’s Lab and unintentionally slammed it behind him.

“Twilight something- WHOA!!!” Mark yelped as he ducked and barely dodged a stray fireball.

The lavender unicorn dropped the fire tome and trotted up to Mark, “I’m so sorry! Are you ok? I’m currently experimenting with some magical items a friend gave me so it's dangerous down here. Could you please wait upstairs until I'm done? Or, If you wanted to borrow a book I’m sure my assistant Spike could help you.”

Mark looked around to see if she was talking to another pony he hadn’t noticed. She wasn’t. “Um, Twilight what are you talking about? And why are you testing a fire tome in a tree?”

Twilight looked at Mark in confusion before examining him closely and putting the pieces together. Her answer was confirmed when she spotted Lizzy still sleeping (somehow) on Mark’s back. “Mark? Is that you?”

Mark blinked, now Twilight was looking at him weird, “Yes... What’s going on Twilight? I feel like I’ve been getting stares from everypony in Ponyville, and now you’re acting like you don’t recognize me.”

“Mark...have you looked in a mirror recently?” Twilight asked in worry.

‘How does she know about your narcissism?’
‘How am I supposed to- I’M NOT A NARCISSIST!’

Mark rolled his eyes, “No Twilight. The only thing I’ve done today was wake up, drink coffee, almost eat a banana, oh, and feel like a fine art exhibit out in town. Do you have any idea what’s going on?”

Twilight picked up the fire tome she had dropped and placed it on the table where all the other items Mark brought back laid. “I didn’t know you drank coffee.”

Mark’s eye twitched in irritation, “Seriously, that’s what you got out of this conversation? I’m telling you something could be wrong in town and the fact I drink coffee occasionally is the thing that grabs your attention. I thought you took these things more seriously than that, unless-” He then noticed the sly grin she was trying to hide.

‘She’s totally messing with you.’

His eyes narrowed in suspicion, “-You know something don’t you?”

Twilight cleared her throat as she tried to keep the a straight face, “I have an idea but I need confirmation. Did you happen to see any blue flowers yesterday when you were in the Everfree?”

“Yah, I walked through a field...of...them.” Now Mark had an idea why there were no other creatures in that area.

‘Celestia-’
‘-fucking’

“-Dammit.” He facehoofed, “They did something, didn’t they?”

“It’s called poison joke. It’s like poison oak, but plays a prank on the victim instead.” She said, remembering the time she and her friends were inflicted with it. However, Twilight never expected that it would do this to Mark. Maybe it affects stallions different?

“You’re enjoying this aren’t you?” Mark said a bit ticked off at the smile that was growing larger on Twilight's face.

“Mark, why would I be enjoying this at you’re expense? It’s not like you’ve ever antagonized me with your remarks and jokes.” Twilight answered, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "This may even be a good research opportunity!"

Mark sighed, he may have deserved that. 'No, you totally deserved that.' “So, it made my hair longer and now I look weird, right?”

Twilight shook her head, and bit her lower lip so that she wouldn’t laugh. “Mark that’s not the only thing that changed.”

Mark groaned and slammed his head on a nearby table and kept it there. “Twilight, stop enjoying this and get me a damn mirror...please.”

After a moment he heard something get placed near him so he spared a glance and was greeted with the sight of a very pretty mare staring back at him. To his surprise, she shared similar colors to Mark from her yellow coat to her brown and white mane and tail, though instead of the white highlights at the ends, they ran along some of the lengths, not too dissimilar from Twilight's mane. He couldn't help but blush lightly and smile when she did the same.

'Holy shit, she's cute!'
'Check out that flank.'
'No, I'm not that kind of guy!'
'Seriously, you might want to look.'

He let his eyes travel down the mares body until he noticed her cutie mark. A sword splitting a queen chess piece in half. His eyes widened with and his pupils constricted as he took a step back and now noticed the frame surrounding the mare who continued to copy his expressions. Realization dawned on him and he looked down between his hind legs.

********************************************************************************************

Spike blew out a puff of smoke in annoyance as he stacked these books...again.

He heard a knock at the door before Applejack entered. “Hey Spike, ya didn’t happen ta see that new pony in town, did ya? Ah, heard that she came in here.”

“Sure did." He huffed, "She barged in here and is talking to Twilight in the basement. Look at this, I have to restack this whole thing again!"

"Do yah know anything about her?" Applejack asked, helping Spike by picking up one of the books and placing it onto the new stack.

The baby dragon scratched his cheek as he thought for a moment, "Well, she seemed really familiar but I couldn’t put my claw on it. Why? Did she do something bad?”

Applejack snorted, “Big Mac was getting all sweet in the eye fer her and I’m here makin sure that she ain’t no, no good colt chaser." She said in a way only a protective little sister could.

"Well, she was kinda pretty." Spike said with a light blush, "But not as pretty as Rarity!"

Applejack grinned, "Are ya sure, sugar cube? Ya almost look smitten again." she teased.

Before Spike could make an indignant reply a scream erupted from the basement.

“SWEET CELESTIA! IT'S ALL GONE!!!”

********************************************************************************************

“Rarity, stop.” Mark grumbled.

The alabaster unicorn continued brushing his her mane, “Oh, but Mark, when will I ever get an opportunity like this again? And your mane is so silky! You absolutely must tell me the brand of shampoo you use. You also forgot the magic word.”

Mark's eye and ear twitched in annoyance.

After having a freakout at Twilight’s library, Applejack had to tie him up until he calmed down enough to listen to them. They then practically dragged the "new mare in town" to Carousel Boutique to show Rarity for his own good. After all, what were friends for?

“I use a special mint-tea leaf extract, now please stop, this is embarrassing.” He said in his new, higher pitched, voice as he tried to shrug the brush away. Mark looked forward and once again was face to face with the female version of himself. He glared daggers at the yellow mare in the mirror. Unfortunately, it only served to make the mare look cuter as her face scrunched up making it look like an adorable pout rather than a fearsome glare.

“Ah don’t know Mark, maybe you should'a been born a mare.” Applejack said before quickly covering her mouth to stifle her laughter.

‘I agree.’
'Oh don't you even start.'
'Well if it helps, you're only almost as sexy and cute as both Rarity and Fluttershy.'
'...It doesn't help.'

“And besides, what’s so embarrassing about a couple of mares beautifying one another?” Rarity added, interrupting Mark's thoughts.

He turned his head to the fashionista, “The fact I’m not a mare.”

Rarity had a smug smile on her face, “You are right now, and once I get rid of that bed head and add some blush, you'll be absolutely glamorous and all the stallions will be wanting your attention.”

“I don't want any of that kind of attention from guys.” Mark mumbled loudly as he returned to glaring at himself in the mirror.

"Then all the mares that prefer... Oh what's that phrase? Queen's over kings?"

"That sounds kinda raunchy coming from you. Besides I already like-" Mark quickly remembered who he was talking to and shoved a hoof in his mouth.

Rarity stopped her brushing as she heard the last part. Her eyes twinkling with the need to learn some gossip.

'Shit.'
'You brought this on yourself.'

Twilight tilted her head in confusion, "You already have somepony you like? But I've never seen you around other ponies except us and occasionally Big Mac."

Rarity knew how to handle situations like this, all she had to do was make Mark do all the talking. With a coy grin she began, "Oh it's rather simple dear. It just means that our friend here has an interest in-"

"NO I DON'T! It's not... You're all attractive and beautiful but... I mean it's..." Mark said flustered as he frantically tried to salvage the situation. It only served to leave a blushingTwilight and Applejack rubbing their forelegs from his compliment. Rarity too loved the compliment, but wouldn't let herself relent from just that.

Mark turned his head away again, back at the mirror. Coincidentally, he made eye contact with Rarity and the two could almost read each other's thoughts.

'So why don't you tell us Mark?'
'No.'
'Come on. I want to know.'
'Absolutely not.'
'Do I get a say in this?'
'No.'
'...It's Lyn.'
'Thank you.'
'Dammit Brain!'
'I couldn't help it! She's so persuasive!'

Though she didn't really read his mind, Rarity smiled victoriously as his reactions told her most of the story, "It's not somepony is it?"

Mark gulped, confirming Rarity's suspicions.

Rarity circled around the former stallion as she continued, "And you obviously don't have any interest in males so that leaves only four choices if those were the only girls you mentioned in your story."

Mark's eyes followed the mare as she continued circling him. His mouth shut tight so he wouldn't give anything away.

"First, there's Serra, but you already mentioned that you see her only as a little sister. Then there's Ninian the dancer, but you didn't sound like you saw her in 'that' way. Which only leaves Florina... and Lyndis." Rarity paused to gauge Mark's reaction.

Mark could feel his heart thumping harder and faster in his chest as he accidentally made eye contact with Rarity again.

'You don't have to suffer through this, just admit it.'
'N-no. You won't get anything from me!'
'But confessing would be so much easier.'
'Hah, I've been trained against your evil mind games.'
'Stop bluffing and just tell her.'
'NO!'
'I guess I'll have to intervene then.'
'Wait what do you-'

"OK! I admit it! I like... I like Lyndis." Mark confessed, covering his face to hid the blush.

Rarity squealed in delight as Twilight and Applejack pieced together what just happened.

'How did you do that?!'
'I'm your subconscious, increasing a few urges and emotions here and there and BAM, you do it yourself.'
'Should I be afraid?'
'Only if I turn evil.'
'I feel so violated.'
'Drama queen.'

"Ya know Rare's, that was kinda scary to watch..." Applejack said as she watched the mare dance around a little in triumph.

"But also fascinating. Did you take a psychology class somewhere?" Added Twilight curiously.

Rarity picked her brush back up and began working on Mark's mane again, "No but when you've been in this business as long as I have, you simply must know how to get the juiciest gossip."

"I thought you girls were my friends..." Mark grumbled, nudging an empty spool of thread between his hooves.

Rarity felt a small pang of guilt and patted Mark's back, “We are honey, but since the only ponies that know the treatment for poison joke are out of town, we're all just going to have to make the best of this.”

"And that includes extracting information out of me?" Mark said making eye contact with Rarity.

"Of course dear." Rarity replied in a singsong voice.

'And I'll get more of the juicy details later.'
'No you won't.'
'Do you think you can stop me?'
'No.'
'I can sure as hell try!'
'Do try to be less rude next time.'
'Ok.'
'Traitor.'

Mark rolled his her eyes as he turned to Twilight, “Twilight, there's got to be a book or something, anything to change me back.”

She gave the yellow unicorn a sorry look, “Well, there was, but for some reason it’s gone missing-”

*****************************************************************************************

Discord sat comfortably on a floating and upside down chair in Canterlot’s throne room.

“Discord, what are you doing?” Asked Celestia as she watched the Draconequus float there reading some kind of book.

“Well I’m just enjoying a book that I found in Twilight’s library about some interesting supernatural and homemade remedies among other things. Did you know that you can cure a sore throat by rubbing it with mud mixed in with frog mucus and some herbs?”

Celestia sighed, “Unfortunately, I do now.”

*****************************************************************************************

“-despite me and Spike triple checking, then reorganizing the books, then quadruple checking when we cleaned the library last week.”

'Poor Spike.'

“So there’s nothing we can do about this?” Mark said somewhat pitifully.

Feeling sorry for her friend, Applejack spoke up, “Well do ya want ta change yer name fer now? It’d be mighty awkward for all them boys (and some girls) ta know it’s you but then can’t take their eyes off a ya.”

Mark gave Applejack an annoyed look, trying to see if she was messing with him again. As far as the former stallion could tell, she was being as honest as her element, so he reluctantly nodded.

“Then how about Merry Reliance?” chimed Twilight.

“Twilight, that name is ghastly! If we’re going to temporarily rename our friend it should be something that fits her. Besides, Merry is a common name. How about Resistant Sunrise?”

Applejack shook her head, “Nah, something simple and easy ta remember. How about Deviant?”

Twilight tapped her hoof in thought, “Hmm, you may be onto something, what about the first name is Deviant and then we end it with a characteristic?”

“Deviant Splendor.”

“Deviant Vanilla.”

“That’s too suggestive! Deviant-”

“GIRLS!” Mark’s shouted getting their attention before a name fight broke out. “Just call me Crystal Deviance or something shorter in public, and my real name in private, until this mess is fixed or until I think of something better.”

Twilight looked skeptically at Mark, “Why Crystal? I mean unless it has to do with how your coat kind of shines but it doesn’t really compare to the crystal ponies.”

Mark sighed, “No, it’s...the name of a friend I had a long time ago.”

The lavender unicorn nodded in understanding, “I guess we could call you that, but it might be confusing for some ponies once the pegasus that Fluttershy and I brought to the hospital is released.”

“Why? Is she a crystal pony?” Mark said in a snarky tone, he didn't really care but might as well stay in control of the conversation this time unless it ends up like earlier.

Twilight shook her head, “Not that I can tell. Zecora said that before losing consciousness, she said her name was Crystal.”

Mark's ears perked for a second before flattening again, there wasn't a chance. “Probably short for, Crystalline ‘Something’, right?”

“No, she said that the pegasus’ name was Crystal Orchid.” Said Twilight simply, however Mark's reaction was far from simple.

Mark felt his heart nearly stop. His stomach was doing somersaults as he remembered that particular day five years ago.

“...you won’t ever see me again.”

Rarity looked stopped brushing her friend's mane, “Mark? Are you alright dear? You’re shaking.”

The yellow unicorn didn’t respond as his face contorted in anger and he ran out of the boutique at full speed, heading for the hospital. He heard some shouts of surprise and his name being called but he didn't stop.

‘She just shows back up in my life.’
‘Mark...’
‘Abandoning me when I needed her most!’
‘Mark calm down she’s-’
‘When I see her I’m gonna give her a piece of my mind. Then get her to explain where she had to go that was so damn important!’
‘You’re forgetting an important fact...’

*******************************************************************************************

He stood there, watching Crystal lie unconscious on the hospital bed. She had bandages around a portion of her face and about 60 percent of her body, including her legs, and her wing. The heart moniter kept a slow and steady pace with it’s continual beeps.

He turned to the nearby nurse, “Nurse Redheart...Is she going to be okay?” He asked, keeping his voice steady.

The nurse gave the former stallion a grim look. “Unfortunately, she seems to be getting weaker. We don’t know what’s wrong, and we can’t find any previous hospital records of her. I’m sorry miss...”

“Deviance.” Mark said off the top of his head. It was simple and fit him in a way.

“Miss Deviance, I’m sorry but until we find what’s causing her to weaken, there’s nothing that we can do except ease any pain she has.”

“Thanks...” He said in almost a whisper as the nurse went back to her duties elsewhere.

Mark walked up to the side of Crystal’s bed and looked at the one he had considered his best friend when he was younger. The friend that he had fallen in love with years ago. The same friend who had left him when he needed her most.

Using his hoof, he brushed some of strands of her mane out of her face. “So is this it then? 5 years and the next time I see you could be the last.” He said bitterly, his voice cracking. He looked her over again, other than the obvious change in her age, she looked the same except for her cutie mark of several cracked hearts, that was new. "Even older, you look roughly the same."

He wiped the tears that were beginning to form in his eyes.

‘Celestia dammit! I hate her for what she did so why am I crying?!’
‘Think about it.’
‘Just tell me!’
‘Can't tell you everything all the time.’

Mark sat and rested his head at her side, his gaze never leaving her. Slowly her last words echoed through his head. The ones that really melted his anger. “I’m sorry.”

'Why did she leave?'
'Don't know.'
'Is that all you have to say!? Where's your groundbreaking revelations? Where's your usual wit?'
'There's a time and place.'
'And isn't this a good time for any of that!? Your leaving me hanging here and I don't know what to do. What to think. There's so many damn unanswered questions I want to ask! She basically abandoned me! I should hate her! Why the don't I hate her?!'
'Normally I'd say because you're an idiot, but in this case I'll go with the lovestruck idiot who wants amends instead.'
'Be serious.'
'I am being serious. You still harbor feelings for her whether you like it or not. Now why don't you try to tell me why for once.'

Mark couldn't answer. He grit his teeth and almost slammed his hooves on the ground, but refrained so he didn't disturb Crystal's rest in any way. With a sigh he slumped back onto the side of the bed in defeat.

'I don't know. Did you really expect me to know?'
'Of course not. But love doesn't always seem to make sense.'

The yellow unicorn lifted up his head again and gazed at Crystal before drawing close and giving her a light peck on the cheek.

********************************************************************************************

2 Days Later..............

Armored Bastion raised his hoof in salute to the Princess as she sat on her throne. He internally sighed as he realized his current appearance, his black mane was a mess and his burgundy coat currently covered in dirt, leaves, and dried sweat. He desperately wished that he had taken the time to clean up and get dressed in his guard armor before reporting in, but what’s done is done.

Celestia gave her royal tactician a warm smile for his safe return, “At ease. It is good to see you well Bastion. I hope that your trip wasn’t too dangerous.”

Bastion relaxed, “It was manageable with the help of a friend, princess. But the situation is...hard to comprehend.”

The princess lifted herself up from her throne and walked over to the stallion. “Then explain what you can.”

Bastion took a moment to gather his thoughts before he began, “It seems that the griffins are nervous because of their outposts being attacked. Outposts that are near the Equestrian border. I contacted an old friend of mine who has informants within the griffin military and he figured out the next outpost to be attacked. Around 3 hours after we arrived to investigate, a group of changelings attacked from within the outpost causing chaos and scattering the guards. Another group of them then came from outside the outpost and finished off any that remained”

Celestia frowned, “I see. I’m glad you made it out of that unharmed, but it is strange.”

“I agree. From what we know of changelings, usually they would cocoon and drain love from victims. This is the first I’ve seen them attack with the intention to kill. It may be farfetched, however, I think it's possible that someone is pulling the strings here and purposely trying to start a war between Equestria and it's neighbors. My friend is getting King Veloran to understand that this is not Equestria’s doing, so I would expect a messenger at some point in the future.”

Celestia gave the stallion a thoughtful expression before replying, “I may have an idea who the one behind this is. You see your student has returned,” Bastion couldn’t stop the small smile from forming, “but also brought news about a powerful unicorn manipulating events. He suspected Sombra and I have no reason to disagree if he really has returned.”

Bastion nodded in agreement, as he looked in the direction of the Crystal Empire, “That’s troubling. I assume that you’ve informed Prince Shining Armor and Princess Cadenza of the danger?”

“I have.”

“Then I will begin preparing for the worst. However, first may I-” Bastion began before getting interrupted by a smiling princess.

“Marked Defiance returned to Ponyville, and yes. You may take time away from your duties.” Celestia replied with a wry smirk, “I would also recommend a bath.”

Bastion’s face turned a lighter red as he bowed respectfully, “Thank you princess.”

*******************************************************************************************

“We still don’t know why, however, your friend is making a miraculous recovery.” Said the pony doctor setting his clipboard down. “At the rate she’s going, she should be awake and back on her feet within the week.”

“Thank you doctor.” Mark replied both happily and tiredly.

After Mark’s first visit he spent the last two days staying by the unconscious mare's side, talking to her and trying to find ways to help her heal. This included a failed attempt trying to use a heal staff (borrowed from Twilight) and a little bit of spare vulnerary he had forgotten about in his bag which was able to help heal some of her wounds. After all his visits though, he always felt strangely exhausted and even noticed that his coat was a paler yellow than normal, but figured that both were from his recent lack of much sleep.

“Have a good evening Miss Deviance.” The pony doctor said as he turned and left to take care of his other patients.

At this point Mark was also used to the fact that he was currently the new and good looking mare in town known as Deviance. It still didn’t make him happy, but after making it clear that he was a “filly-fooler” as well as “taken”, most of the unwanted ponies backed off...Most of them.

He walked up to Crystal’s bed and placed the get well card on it. “Hear that, you’ll be better soon. I’ll be back tomorrow, ok? And when I get here, you better be awake or else I’ll poke you until you do.” He said with a playful giggle, before walking out of the room.

'That's a cute giggle.'
'It wasn't a giggle! It was a light chuckle.'
'SSuuuurrre it was......'
‘Ugh! How long till Aloe and Lotus get back again?’
‘Three to four days.’

Bystanders heard Deviance grumbling to herself as she exited the hospital.

********************************************************************************************

Slowly the mare opened her eyes, scanning the empty hospital room. She didn’t know who that was, but because of that mare she was almost at half her natural strength again. Not great, but definitely an improvement from the brink of death and being barely able to maintain her form.

Looking down at the card her visitor placed, she began reading it to herself. It was one of the typical store bought get well cards, however, at the bottom was a personally written message. “Dear Crystal, if you're reading this that means I missed you waking up. If your not back on your hooves soon if or when you read this, I’ll get Pinkie to come and help me tickle you awake. Your friend, Mar-.” She read quietly aloud. Whoever left her the card was probably a happy-go-lucky fool judging by the fact they hadn't realized that they had run out of room to leave their name until it was too late. She also couldn’t help but feel as if she’s seen this penmanship before.

Tossing the card aside she carefully lifted herself off the bed and shook her legs from their lack of use the past few days before ripping the hospital gown off to examine her injuries. Most of the wounds were gone, as well as the bruises, however she looked back at her, wrapped, but still broken wing and cringed. That would take more time to heal. Unfortunately in the state she was in earlier, the first place anyone would look for her would be the hospital and with her luck so far, she wouldn't have enough time to regain her strength that pony's visits alone. It was time to leave.

Quietly, she opened door and peeked into the hallway only to duck her head back in. There was a security guard patrolling the hall. Turning her head she noticed the window and made sure there was nothing outside within viewing distance. Seeing that there wasn’t, she quietly opened it and jumped out the second story window, letting the green flames form around her legs and absorb the impact, making a small, shallow crater in the ground.

Raising her head, she inhaled the fresh air, savoring the taste of it, and feeling for her source of love. It wasn’t too far off. And while it was still evening, she might as well scout this town a bit and gather her thoughts.

"Crystal... that's right. I'm going by Crystal Orchid right now and that's what I told that pony in the forest anyways...or was it a zebra?" The mare contemplated her first savior for a bit before deciding that it was a zebra.

She the continued thinking aloud, "I haven't taken this form in years so feigning either psychological stress or amnesia should be enough to excuse me from questions since nopony here knows me. In fact, if I remember correctly the only ones who do, are in Manehatten except for....!!!" Her eyes widened and she remembered the last time she saw him. She immediately shook her head, there was no point in dwelling about him again. That was in the past and she needed to think about the future right now.

Crystal walked past what appeared to be a dentist's office and began thinking of what her next move should be. Obviously, she needed to regain her strength for a start. She considered a mind control spell as usual but squashed that idea, it would use too much of her strength to cast and maintain right now. No, she would have to go about this the other way and just stay around, maybe doing a few things to stimulate the output of love here and there. Worst case scenario, she would have to cocoon some unsuspecting pony, though she hoped it wouldn't come to that. After a constant source was established, she'd simply stay in this town keeping as low a profile as she could, until she had enough strength and power to meet up with Edge and Razor on her own.

Her thoughts then returned to the mysterious mare who helped her as well as her best bet for a source of love in this town. Crystal felt a pang of guilt about her 'benefactor'. Up until sometime yesterday, she had been unconsciously draining the mare without regulating the amount. That being the case, the mare was probably suffering for it whether she knew it or not. More questions popped up though, who was she? Why did she help her? And though unlikely, was she a threat?

She stopped in front of the apartment building and looked up towards to the sky. It was already early into Luna's night after her 'walk' and whoever that mare was had stopped here which meant she likely lived here. "I guess some introductions are in order." Crystal said with a devious smile that gleamed in the moonlight. She slowly turned the doorknob and entered the building.

Author's Note:

I can't think of much to say for these author's notes except, I apologize that it took so much longer than I expected to get this chapter done and posted. The next one however is almost done so it should be posted pretty soon.

I hope you enjoyed the chapter and be sure to rate, review, comment, constructively criticize, etc.

PreviousChapters Next