• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 3,054 Views, 490 Comments

Emblem of Harmony: The Blazing Sword - icebraker



Marked Defiance, the student of Equestria's Royal Tactician finds himself in Elibe where an evil plot threatens to destroy both worlds. Fire Emblem Crossover

  • ...
21
 490
 3,054

PreviousChapters Next
Lyn's Story Chapter 4: Charisma goes a long way

“So what your saying is that your relationship is strictly platonic now?” asked Wil as the Legion passed through the city gates.

“Strictly.” Mark said curtly.

It had been four days since Luna visited Mark in his dreams, and they had arrived at a large city. Mark watched as people were everywhere, out and about in their daily lives, in the corner of his vision though, he caught sight of a blonde man observing them from an alley.

“What city is this?” Lyn asked taking in the surrounding buildings.

“This? This is Araphen. After Ostia, it’s the biggest city in Lycia.” Sain said with a smile.

“The second biggest, hm? It does seem awfully busy.” Lyn said as someone almost bumped into her when passing by. “By the way, where’s Kent?”

“He said he was going ahead to the castle, but...” Sain scanned the crowd until he noticed the red knight on his horse, approaching. “Ah, here he comes now.”

Kent bowed his head before saying, “Milady Lyndis! Let us proceed to the castle. They’ve prepared supplies for us. The marquess has agreed to aid us on our journey to Caelin.”

Lyn smiled excitedly, “He’s going to help us?”

“Yes. Araphen and Caelin have enjoyed a sturdy friendship for many years. Once I informed the marquess of our plight, he agreed to lend us his strength.”

“Looks like we’ve got a smooth road ahead!” Sain commented.

“Sain, don’t jinx it.” Mark said jokingly before turning to Kent, “Do you think he can provide some troops too? Just the Legion is probably fine, but I like the idea of having more than one person standing guard at night.”

Kent thought for a moment, “If we could pick up some soldiers, the road to Caelin would be that much safer.” he turned to Lyn with a frown on his face, “I’m truly sorry for hardships you’ve suffered so far.” Kent said to Lyn.

Lyn’s expression was a kind one, “Don’t be silly. You are so capable, Kent.”

Sain raised his eyebrow and voice, “Kent!?”

“Hm? Oh, and so are you, Sain.” Lyn said with a sly smirk.

Sain huffed, “Of course I am!”

‘Did Lyn just-’
‘Yes she did.’
‘I think I’m a bad influence.’ Mark thought with a smile.

“The castle awaits...” Kent began

“Um, Kent, is smoke supposed to be coming from that end of it.” Mark pointed to the rising plume.

“This is terrible! The castle is burning.” shouted a random citizen.

Lyn wade through the crowd to get a better look when she heard this.

“What did you say? What’s happening?” Sain asked, looking around as people panicked

Mark answered Sain,“Smoke’s coming from the castle.” He noticed 3 men approaching Lyn ‘This can’t be good.’

Mark tried wading through the panicking crowd but was unable to find any openings. ‘Dammit, move.’

“Who are you?” Asked Lyn as the men approached her.

‘Ah, screw it’ Mark thought taking a step back since he couldn't get through the crowd. He began scanning for a way around and spotted a couple of stacked boxes.

“You! You’re Lyndis, aren’t you?” One of them growled before taking a step forward.

Lyn stepped back, “Ah! What do you-”

Mark ran and jumped, one foot on a stack as he used his momentum to carry him over to the next.

“No questions! Prepare yourself!!!” said the talking man

‘Shit, these guys are actually professional.’ Mark thought as he noticed one of them creeping closer to Lyn from her blindside.

‘Come on, Mark, faster!’ he thought frantically as he continued, now on top of a stall roof.

The one who was sneaking up on Lyn quickly unsheathed his sword as he was about to strike.

‘NO, NO, NO, NOT AGAIN!’

“LYN WATCH OUT!!!” Mark shouted as he jumped and landed in a roll, now clear of the crowd.

“Hey!” Lyn exclaimed as she reacted to draw her sword. But she wasn’t fast enough as the man’s sword was raised to kill.

“NOOOOOOOOO!” for Mark, time seemed to slow to a crawl as he was about to witness the woman who saved him, who has been with him since his beginning in this world, die.

“Aaaargg! Aaaaaah!!” The man shouted dropping his sword as he tried to grasp the arrow that now sprouted out of his back.

Upon seeing their comrade fall, the other two men quickly dispersed.

Lyn relaxed a bit but kept her hand on her sword, “What? An arrow?”, she looked around for the source of the arrow until her eyes fell on a man on a horse, in sacaen clothing, with a bow.

“Who are-” Lyn began before something grasped her and wouldn’t let go.

“CELESTIA DAMMIT LYN! DON’T YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN! DO YOU HEAR ME! DON’T YOU DARE DIE IN FRONT OF ME TOO!!!” Mark had enveloped Lyn in a tight embrace, holding back tears.

Kent galloped up to the two, hair wet from cold sweat at what had almost happened, “Milady Lyndis! Are you all right?”

“I’m fine. He... This man saved me.” Lyn said pointing to the man on the horse.

Kent sighed in relief before turning to the man, “May I ask your name?”

The man didn’t respond as he turned his horse and was about to go away.

“Wait! Why did you help me?” Lyn shouted prying herself from Mark.

The man turned his horse so he could face her, “I thought a Sacaean plainswoman was being attacked. I was mistaken.”

“No, you were right! I am from Sacae. I’m Lyn, the daughter of the Lorca chieftain.” Lyn said.

The man’s eyes widened, “The Lorca? There were survivors?”

Lyn nodded, “Yes.”

The man looked toward the castle, “You should leave at once. A blaze has started in the castle, and it’s spreading. Don’t be foolish and waste the life I just saved.”

“You’re from the castle? What’s happening? How severe is the fire? Is the marquess safe?” Lyn asked worried.

The man looked back to Lyn, “The castle is under attack, and the marquess has been accosted. The men who attacked you were probably some of the marauders. As captain of the castle guard, it’s my duty to rescue the marquess.”

“I see... All right then, we’ll help you.” Lyn said in a determined voice.

‘You heard her Mark, we’re helping. Calm down.’
‘How can I be calm, she almost just died.’
‘I know, I’m your subconscious, but there is a time and a place to break down from what could have been.’
‘It was just like that time though.’
‘And it didn’t end the same way, now deep breaths.’

Kent looked to Lyn in confusion, “Milady?”

The man shared Kent’s look, “Why?”

“These brigands are after me. If they’re attacking the castle, it’s because of me. So I must help if I can...” Lyn said boldly.

The man let out a sigh, “It sounds like you’re involved somehow...Lets go.”

“You’ll accept our aid?” Lyn perked up.

Kent remained silent as he eyed the man carefully.

The man did a bow on his horse, “I am Rath of the Kutolah. Our tribes may be different, but I will not abandon a woman of the Sacae.”

“Thank you, Rath! A thousand blessings upon you!” Lyn said excitedly.

“And a thousand curses upon our enemy!” Rath responded.

“Come.” Lyn said but then looked to Mark who was currently shaking and taking deep breaths with his head down.

“Mark? Are you-”

Mark raised his head, his trademark smirk plastered on his face, “I’m fine Lyn just getting over a little shock is all. Go check out that house, I saw someone interesting go inside, I’ll see what our new friend has to say.” Mark said as he strode past Lyn towards Rath.

“Once the marquess is safe, my men can move in. Perhaps the secret passageway...” Rath said rubbing his chin in thought.

Mark’s eyes lit up as he grinned a toothy grin, “Did you just say secret passageway?”

‘This is gonna be fun.’
‘Just don’t die.’

***********************************************************************************

The battle proved to be simpler than Rath expected. The marauders had men stationed outside and guarding the switches to the passageway, but they were easily taken care of by Dorcas and Erk. It also helped that Mark had Lyn recruit the blonde man from earlier named Matthew, who in laymen’s terms, was a thief. Matthew was able to help open the locked doors. Once they had opened the passage, Rath had taken command of his troops and routed the marauders from the castle.

Now, Mark, Lyn, Sain, Kent and Rath were walking to the throne room since their presence was requested by the Marquess.

‘He’s either going to reward us for the help or, be mad that this is our fault.’ Mark sighed.
‘Well we can only hope it’s the former.’
‘Knowing our luck it’s probably-’

Rath opened the doors to the throne room, sitting on the throne was a man who appeared to be in his 40’s with trimmed blonde hair.

‘-The latter.’ Mark thought as he saw the scowl that the marquess had.

Marquess Araphen turned his head to Rath, “Ah, it’s Rath! You’ve done well. What a performance.”

Rath saluted before responding, “Sir...If you have praise, it should be given to this group.”

“Hm? Who are you?” he asked as if he hadn’t noticed them.

‘Like you don’t already know.’

Lyn bowed, “My name is Lyndis. I’m pleased you’re well.”

The marquess looked disappointed, “Oh...It’s you. You’re Marquess Caelin’s-” he stopped himself, “Leave us Rath. I would speak with this girl.”

Rath bowed and left the throne room.

“Now...Lady Lyndis. Do you know the identity of those responsible for this uproar?” the marquess said through gritted teeth.

Lyn either didn’t notice, or ignored his tone, “I believe it to be the work of my granduncle, Lundgren.”

The marquess raised his voice, “That’s exactly right. Which means my castle has been damaged in your family’s petty inheritance dispute.”

Lyn looked taken aback but bowed again, “My-My apologies...”

“When I heard that Lady Madelyn’s daughter was in trouble, I thought to lend my assistance...” he said with a smile before his expression turning cold, “I find I’ve changed my mind. I withdraw my offer.”

“Marquess Araphen! You gave me your word, my lord!” Kent

The marquess turned to Kent and paused for a moment, “Your name is Kent, is it not? You failed to inform me of one most vital detail!”

Kent looked shocked, what could he have missed, “What...What do you mean?”

The marquess looked to Lyn before returning his gaze to Kent, “This girl does resemble Lady Madelyn, but...” he waved his hand dismissively, “I didn’t expect to see her so tainted with the blood of Sacae.”

Mark balled his fists.

“What?!?” was all Lyn was able to say, shocked at that reason.

“Don’t you feel the marquess of Caelin would be troubled to meet this... nomadic mongrel?” the marquess continued.

Mark’s eye twitched.

“You-!” Sain started before being stopped by Kent.

“Sain! Hold! My apologies, my lord Marquess.” Kent bowed, voice calm, but anger written on his face.

“Hm... Your man is poorly disciplined.” the marquess said with a pleased look

Kent tried again, “Marquess Araphen! Please... If you would grace us with your aid...”

The marquess pondered for a moment, “I hear Marquess Caelin is ill and abed. I question whether he will survive to meet this girl. In which case, his brother, Lundgren, will claim his title. And I certainly wish to avoid trouble with the coming marquess.”

“You scheming...” Sain began almost shouting.

“Sain!” Kent commanded

“I understand. Kent, Sain, Mark, we take our leave at once.” Lyn said through a calm voice, though her hand trembled in anger.

“Milady Lyndis! We-” Kent began before Lyn stopped him, raising her hand.

Lyn looked to the marquess with pure defiance and determination, “I am proud of the Sacae blood that runs through my veins. I will NOT accept aid from one who disparages my heritage.”

And with that, the group exited the throne room.

“That was well done, milady! The marquess is a lout! Don’t worry about anything. We’re all here for you! Isn’t that so, Kent?” Sain said reassuringly.

“I beg your forgiveness.” Kent said bowing deeply to his charge.

“Why are you apologizing, Kent?” Lyn asked

“I’ve been so concerned with seeing you to Caelin. I failed to take your feelings into account.” Kent said, still bowing.

“Is that it? Trouble yourself no more. You have put my safety above all else. Hold your head up and be proud. Just like Mark over here, he managed to remain calm the whole time.” Lyn gestured to the tactician.

Mark looked at them as they now had his attention. In an overly happy voice he responded, “Hm? Hehehe, oh, no Lyn, actually I’m absolutely furious. This has never happened before, but I’m actually numb with unbridled rage. Hehehe, even my usual thought process is frozen. I should calm down soon though since I had our newest member do a task that we’ll both get a kick out of. Hehehehehe.” Mark’s smile widened as one of his blue eyes would twitch every now and then. Everyone took a step away from him.

“Milady Lyndis...should we be worried.” Kent murmured.

*******************************************************************************************

As the legion walked out of the city Matthew approached Mark, dragging a cart that had a chest on it. Lyn would ask about it later. Right now she had other things on her mind as she conferred with her two knights.

“The marquess he said my grandfather was ill. We must hurry to Caelin...” Lyn said worried.

Kent put a hand on her shoulder, “As we approach Caelin, Lundgren’s obstacles will be more difficult to overcome. However, I’ve vowed to see you through to the end, milady!”

Lyn smiled, “I’m counting on you, Kent.”

“I’m with you, too!” Sain exclaimed almost falling off his horse.

Lyn giggled at her friends antics, “Thank you, Sain.”

Mark walked up to the trio, his smile still there but noticeably less insane.

“Well, I feel much better now that I found Blueblood’s temporary replacement. What were you three talking about?”

Lyn turned to the tactician her smile turning to a look of worry, “Mark, Kent’s right in thinking that Lundgren will only make this more difficult for us. I-” before Lyn could say anymore Mark covered her mouth with his hand with a serious expression.

“Lyn I already have an idea of what you’re going to say. Probably something about putting me into too much danger so maybe I should leave. Well, you are one of the most foolish girls I have ever met, up there with Rainbow. You’re never aware of your surroundings because you focus on a single thing at a time, and you constantly put yourself in danger to help others before yourself.” Lyn looked shocked as Mark removed his hand and smirked. “However, those are precisely why you’re my friend, and why I can’t leave you until I’ve gotten you to your grandfather safe and sound. Do I make myself clear?” he said crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow.

Lyn’s shock turned to a warm smile. “Mark...Thank you for always standing at my side. it’s because of all of you that I... I will persevere! They will never break my spirit!” she said with determination before giving a light punch to Mark’s shoulder. “And I’m not foolish.” she laughed along with Mark.

Mark heard hoofbeats in the distance and that were getting louder. Mark turned around as Rath rode up to them.

“Rath! What is it? What are you-” Lyn exclaimed before Rath interrupted.

“I overheard the marquess talking to himself. Lyn of the Lorca... Proud daughter of the Sacae... I would join you. I would add my strength to yours.” Rath said.

“Really!?” Lyn asked.

Rath pulled out a bag and tossed to Lyn, “And this... I want you to take it.”

Lyn opened the bag and her eyes widened at what she saw, “This is... Gold!? It’s too much. I can’t accept it.” She said closing the bag and offering it back.

“Foolish <3” Mark said again in a sing-song voice as Lyn glared at him this time.

“Mark, we can’t accept this much gold. It’s not right.” Lyn scolded.

“I have no need for it. And if it will help you...” Rath said calmly closing his eyes.

“But-” Lyn wanted to say more but Rath held up his hand.

“I cannot take back something once offered.” Rath trotted to the rest of the Legion.”

Lyn looked back at the bag of gold, “Rath... I thank you.” she said quietly.

****************************************************************************************

That night...........

Mark sat on a nearby hill, close to camp as he stared at the stars.

‘They’re not Luna’s work, but they still have a random beauty about them.’

Mark lifted his hand, ‘So focus on a through another part huh’ he thought as he closed his eyes and felt for his magic. It was definitely there, but Mark was having more difficulty making it flow anywhere other than his hornless head.

“Shit.”

“What are you doing here alone big bwuder. If you’re staring at your hand then you have time to stare at me and make sure I’m still as beautiful as ever.” Serra said as she sat next to a startled Mark.

Mark looked at Serra then back to his hand, “I’m actually trying to do magic. I can definitely feel it but I can’t seem to focus it through any other part of my body.”

Upon seeing Serra’s confused expression, Mark elaborated, “Where I’m from, we have a different kind of magic that’s already in the body when we’re born. Before coming to Elibe I used to have something important that let me use my magic easily. Now I have to focus it elsewhere and it’s a pain in the ass.”

Serra took on a haughty tone, “Well what do you lack, other than my amazing skill and faith of course.”

‘Some peace and alone time perhaps.’

“Well, right now, I guess just proper motivation to keep practicing.” Mark said with a frown.

“Oh, what kind of motivation do you need?”

Mark sighed, “I don’t know, but once I help Lyn I have to cast the spell if I ever want to go home.”

Serra’s smile turned mischievous, “Well, hasn’t Lyn been your motivation for everything so far?”

Mark looked shocked at the question.

‘Wait. Has it?’
‘Well why did you leave Sacae?’
‘To help Lyn.’
'Why don't you immediately re-learn magic to go home?
‘Cause I won’t abandoned Lyn without reuniting her with her grandfather.’
‘Why did you have a minor freak out back at the city?’
‘Because I thought Lyn would die.’
‘And who have you developed feelings for?’
‘Lyn.... oh you sonofabitch, haven’t you heard that ignorance is bliss.’
‘Gotcha good this time.’

Mark was now rolling on the ground his face beet red while Serra laughed. “So you realized it finally huh? Your too obvious, unlike muah.” She gestured to herself.

Mark gave Serra a red-faced, flat look, “You may be my new adopted sister, but that doesn’t mean you should involve yourself with who I like and don’t like.”

Serra looked very pleased at his reaction, “But from what I know, that’s what siblings do. Blood related or not.”

Mark smirked before grabbing Serra, “They also do this.” he then began the tickle torture.

****************************************************************************************
“Hey big bro. Why the long face?” Marked said smiling ear to ear at his joke.

An orange earth stallion looked at the little unicorn for a second before groaning, “Hah, you really need to work on your puns kid. Anyway, I’m just a bit sad that I gotta leave is all.”

“WHAT! WHY?! W-was it something I did? I swear I’ll do better next time, please don’t go! Y-you’re the only family I got...” Marked said as tears began to build up in his eyes.

“I told you Mark, I’m going to join the Royal Guard. I gotta go legit at some point, and now that I’ve raised enough bits, you should be fine until I get back.”

Marked pouted at his dumb nickname, “Don’t call me Mark, it’s too short, and why can’t you just stay the way you are? Why do you have to leave?”

The orange stallion sighed, “Mark, the rest of the crew is going legit, I’m tired of this life. I also got you to think about so don’t be whining. I taught you everything you know to survive on your own. Plus you’ve got that filly friend of yours, Crystal, right?” Mark nodded as the orange stallion bent down to the foal’s level, “Mark, I promise you, I’m coming back. I’ll become a Royal Guard or my name isn’t Penned Gambit.”

*****************************************************************************************

Mark huffed in annoyance. Ever since Luna had visited his dream, he had begun to have his memory-dreams again. Though last night’s was admittedly nice and nostalgic, he didn’t want to have to deal with the stress of the later ones. He preferred his common dreamless sleeps.

‘Crap, I got too many things going on in my head.’
‘Yup.’
‘Maybe I should just lose you for a start.’
‘But then who would provide comfort and sanity whenever you make epic failures?’
‘Just shut up.’
‘So when are you going to tell Lyn your feelings?’
‘When they stop. You know we can’t be together. I’m from a different world and I’m a unicorn pony. She’s a beautiful warrior, and she’s human, and to add to the fact she’s also a noble.’
‘Is that all?’
‘You’re no help. But she probably doesn’t even feel the same way at all.’
‘How do you know?’
‘Well, she could have whomever she wanted with both her looks and personality. The loyal Kent, the reserved Rath, even some of the other Lycian nobles. What do I have to offer? Nothing.’
‘Well she did get a good look at you when you were naked.’
‘Seriously, your going there. Just, no.’
‘Remember, your subconscious.’

Mark shook his head trying to clear his thoughts.

“Hey Mark are you alright? You’ve been distracted all morning.” Lyn asked, startling Mark.

Mark looked to the source of his ‘distraction’, as his face began to heat up, “I-its nothing Lyn, just deep in thought, about....um, strategies? Yah! Thats it! Strategies.” Mark barely managed to get out as he increased his walking speed to get distance from him and Lyn.

Lyn tilted her head, ‘He’s acting odder than usual, I wonder whats on his mind.’

She then turned to Kent, “Where are we, Kent?”

Kent turned his head, “This is Kathelet. If we head due south, we’ll pass into Caelin.”

“From here, I’d say we’re about ten days’ ride to Castle Caelin. Assuming we don’t run into any delays, of course.”

‘Sain, why, just why?’
‘Do you think he’s doing this on purpose?’
‘I honestly don’t know at this point.’
‘At least you’re not thinking about Lyn right now.’
Images of Lyn began to appear in his head.
‘I hate you.’
‘I love my job.’

Lyn gazed at the distant south, “Ten days...”.

Mark noticed movement in the corner of his eye. Getting into a stance and preparing for the worst, he was surprised when a boy maybe 14 or 15 years old ran up to them.

The boy looked desperate, “Pardon me, but...”

Lyn was cut from her thoughts as she noticed the boy, “Yes? Can I help you?”

“You and your friends... Are you mercenaries?” he asked trying to regain his breath.

Lyn raised an eyebrow, “And if we are?”

The boys face lifted a bit but was still desperate, “I need you help!”

Kent spoke up his hand currently on his sword as he scanned the area, “Lady Lyndis, you mustn’t let your guard down. Not even for a child.”

Lyn gave Kent a sad look, “I know. Forgive me, but we’re in a hurry. Is there someone else you can ask?”

The boy looked almost to tears, “There’s no time! Ninian’s been... It’s my sister! Some men have taken her away!”

Sain perked up when he heard, “Your sister? Did you say your sister’s been accosted?”

Mark and Kent facepalmed, 'Classic Sain.'

“That’s right! by some cruel, awful men. I don’t know what I’ll do without Ninian.” The boy said.

Sain looked to Lyn, fire in his eyes, “Milady Lyndis! We must help him!”

“Nonsense! We haven’t the time! If the marquess is as ill as we’ve heard, we must proceed!” Kent told Sain in a commanding tone.

Lyn looked between the two knights conflicted before she came to a decision, “Kent, I... I want to help this child.”

“Milady?”

“I’m worried about my grandfather, of course. But this!” She gestured to the boy, “I cannot stand by and let a child be taken from her home!”

“I see...”

Lyn hung her head, “I’m sorry, Kent.”

“I am your loyal retainer. You owe me no apologies. You must do as your heart dictates, milady. I will follow you, no matter where that may lead.”

Lyn raised her head, “Thank you.”

Sain was grinning ear to ear, “Hah! Such a noble speech! Ever the true knight, that one! Ah, well. you’re in luck, laddie! Let’s go get your sister!”

“Will you lead us to the men who’ve done this?”

The boy nodded, “Uh huh. My name is Nils. They’re really tough so be careful.”

Lyn smiled, “Leave them to us. We’re pretty tough ourselves. Right, Mark?”

"I'm not." Mark deadpanned.

Nils eyes seemed unfocused for a second before he turned around, “Ah! Oh, no...”

As Mark followed Nils gaze until he saw men in black clothing appearing from the shadows.

One of them began walking towards Nils confidently. “Heh heh heh... Found him! C’mon it’s back to Nergal with you. Quiet now.

“NO! Let Ninian go!”

“We ain’t supposed to kill you, but we sure can rough you up! Get’em!”

Before the man could grab the boy, Mark stepped up and socked him across the face as hard as he could.

“OW! Dammit is your face a brick or something?!” he said, trying to shake the pain out of his hand.

‘This wouldn’t happen if I still had hooves.’
‘Depends on if you still hit like a filly.’
‘Shut up brain.’

The man looked surprised but had no real damage done, “Huh! Who do you think you are? You call that a punch.”

Lyn stepped in front of Mark, “Lyn!”, both he and Nils said in unison.

“Let the boy’s sister go.” Lyn said in a cold tone.

“I’d listen to her if I were you.” Mark added still trying to shake the pain away.

“Ah... So you want to help the kid, huh? What a shame. You’re gonna die for something that don’t concern you.”

Lyn looked frightfully amused, “You think so, don’t you? Do we look so meek to you? I think you’re in for a terrible shock!”

“Stupid girl... You’ll regret those words. Take ‘em down, boys!” he said looking behind to signal his men. As he turned back to Lyn though, he was met with another, stronger punch to the face, knocking him out cold.

“Also, I call that a punch.” Lyn said, shaking her hand before looking to Mark with a smirk, “Your right, his face was basically a brick.”

The boy spoke up, “Watch out, for their leader. He and some of his followers use dark magic!”

Lyn nodded, “I see we’re facing a shaman. Mark, I’ve heard that practitioners of the dark arts are fearsome foes. We’ll have to be careful-” she gripped her sword as they heard a twig snap.

She prepared herself as a man in black robes appeared out of the shadows, raising a hand, a black orb appeared in front of him. But before he could launch it, several flashes of light appeared and pierced his body, and he fell to the ground, dead.

Lyn looked to the source of the light, which happened to be a blonde woman. “What!? Who are you?” Lyn asked suspisciously, hand on her sword.

The blonde raised her hands in a calming gesture, “Please forgive me. I never meant to startle you.” The woman said in a soft voice.

Lyn examined the woman closely, “Your robes... They look like religious vestiary. Are you an Elimine bishop?”

“Yes...Well, no. I’m only an acolyte, an Elimine monk, to be specific. My name’s Lucius.” She said

‘That’s a strange name for a woman.’
‘Probably a culture thing.’

“Do you have business with us?” Lyn asked the blonde.

“I was at the inn when this child came seeking help. The innkeeper was afraid to get involved.” The woman frowned, “He was...unpleasant.”

“So he was a jackass.” Mark said in a matter-of-fact tone making Lucius raise an eyebrow.

“That’s...one way to put it.” she said.

Nils spoke up, “I wasn’t afraid of him! I’m used to being treated that way.

Lyn gasped in horror, “That’s awful.”

Lucius looked at Nils, sadness on her face before turning to Lyn again, newfound determination in her eyes, “May I please lend you my services? I truly wish to help the boy. If only a little.”

“Of course.”

“Thank you so very much. The blessings of St. Elimine be upon both of you.”

Mark turned to the Legion, “Alright everyone here’s the plan!”

********************************************************************************************
Mark narrowly dodged an ball of dark energy as it left a scorch in the door that he hid behind. “LYN! KENT! ANYONE! TAKE OUT THAT DAMN SHAMAN!” Mark shouted from behind the door of the house he had entered.

Mark was satisfied when he heard a scream of pain from the shaman, “I-I got him.” Florina called to Mark.

“Thanks Florina, go with Lucius and Lyn and take out their leader. I need to catch my breath.” Mark replied, slumping against the door in relief.

‘If I was older, I’d say I’m getting too old for this shit.’
‘But you’re not so suck it up.’
‘You’re a real ray of sunshine today.’

Mark moved over to the table, and sat on a chair. ‘Oooh, pickles.’ he thought as he opened the jar and started munching on them. He jumped in surprise when the door opened again revealing a large man with blue hair and armor, carrying a large and very intimidating axe. Luckily he seemed to preoccupied with himself to notice Mark.

“Blast, Eliwood’s late. I wonder what’s keeping him.” He sat at another chair as Mark just stared wide eyed and slowly closing the jar. “...Starting to think my axe’ll rust over before he finds his way here.”

The man now seemed to notice Mark, “Hey, who the hell are you! Are you- Are those my pickles!?”

“Sorrygottagobye.” Mark said as he ran and dove through a nearby open window. Still clutching the pickle jar.

“That sonofa-” the man was about to give chase, before he heard a high pitched and annoyingly familiar voice.

“Helloooo... Mark you in there?” Serra called opening the door before frowning, “Oh, an empty home how dull.” She closed the door.

The man in blue, slowly peeked out of the larder he frantically and barely managed to fit in, “Phew. I thought she’d find me here. What the hell is she doing here anyway?”

********************************************************************************************

Lyn looked around the now empty hallway, “Nils is your sister here-”

“Ninian!” Nils called out but receiving no answer his shoulders slumped. “Ninian... She’s not here. Why? Where could she be?”

Kent ran up to Lyn followed by Sain, “My lady Lyndis! A villager spotted a group of men riding south.”

“The boy’s dear sister...They must have her!” Sain pointed out the obvious.

Lyn started towards the door they came in, “Come! We must give chase!”

Nils didn’t budge, “But...But... We won’t make it!” Nils said tears forming in his eyes, “What if they’ve already...”

“Are you looking for this girl here?” came a voice from the door.

Everyone turned to look and what they saw was a young man, with red hair carrying an unconscious girl with extremely long hair that matched Nils' color.

“Ninian! Ninian!” Nils shouted in excitement and worry.

“She’ll be fine. She’s just lost consciousness.” The stranger said, setting Ninian down.

“Who are you?” Lyn asked.

“I’m Eliwood of Pherae. My father is the marquess.” he replied.

Lyn was shocked, “The marquess’s son!”

"She was with a band of ruffians. She seemed upset. She looked in need of rescuing...Was I wrong to involve myself?" He asked.

“No, you saved her life. Thank you. My name is Lyn. I’m from Sacae, I’m Marquess Caelin’s granddaughter.”

“Marquess Caelin?” Eliwood looked surprised.

Lyn started telling Eliwood her story while Mark began to think about something bugging him as he still clutched the pickle jar.

‘What the hay would mysterious men in black want with a brother and sister?’
‘Slaves?’
‘No, it would have been harder to escape and they would have likely tried to keep some of us alive. Remember what that one guy said before Lyn K.O.ed him.’
‘They need these two alive for something.’
‘But what? Should I try to get answers? It isn’t my business, but they did kinda get us involved.’
‘And because of it, you got a jar of pickles in the end.’
‘Yup, life is good sometimes.’

“And that’s my story. It’s not an easy tale to believe, I know...” Lyn said finishing her story to Eliwood.

‘If he sucks as much as marquess Araphen, I’m gonna smash this jar over his head. Pickles or no pickles’

“No. I do believe you.” Eliwood said simply.

“What?” Lyn and Mark said in unison.

Eliwood nodded before continuing, “At first glance, all I saw was a daughter of the plainsfolk. Now I can see it, though. You have your grandfather’s eyes.”

Lyn’s eyes lit up, “Do you know my grandfather?”

“The marquess, Lord Hausen, is my father’s good friend. I also know that the proud people of Sacae tell no lies. It’s true, isn’t it?”

“Yes... Thank you. I would not have expected any Lycian noble to be so courteous to a Sacaean nomad.”

“You seemed to be in trouble. May I be of assistance?”

“Thank you for your kind offer. But, this is my problem, though and I’ll deal with it.”

“I see. I’ll be in the area for a few days longer. If you need anything, please let me know. Lyndis, I’m on your side.”

“Eliwood... Thank you.”

She turned to Mark as she just noticed he was there.

“Mark, where were you? And why do you have a jar of pickles?” Lyn asked pointing to the jar.

“Because Lyn, pickles happen to be the best snack ever.” Mark said with vigor.

‘So pickles are his favorite? What else don’t I know about him?’ Lyn thought to herself before hearing a soft almost angelic voice.

“Who are they?” Ninian asked Nils.

“Uh...” was all Nils said before Lyn stepped forward to the girl.

“I’m Lyn. I’m glad you’re feeling better.” she said with a smile.

“Milady Lyn... Thank you. I’m called Ninian. My brother, Nils, and I are traveling performers.”

“Both of you? Your brother’s a musician. How about you, Ninian?”

“I...I dance.” she said quietly avoiding eye contact.

‘Wait why is she doing that, is she ashamed of it?’
‘Get your mind out of the gutter!’
‘No, I mean what’s so special about her dance and I don’t mean that in the club dancer way.’

“What? Oh my...you’re a dancer.” Sain’s eyes seemed to twinkle as he looked over the young girl.

'Well we all know what he's thinking.'

Lyn pinched the bridge of her nose, “Sain...Later, please.”

Sain flushed in embarrassment, “Um, yeah. Of course.”

“What kind of dancer are you exactly?” Mark asked almost afraid of what he might hear.

“Ninian dances to honor life. It’s special...Sacred.”

‘See it isn’t dirty.’
‘But it is still suspicious.’

“A sacred dance? What does that mean?”

“I...The dance I perform when we travel is just a normal dance. My other dance though...When they caught me, I twisted my ankle. I cannot dance to aid you...I’m sorry.” Ninian said shaking her head.

“Please don’t worry. We’re just happy to see that you’re out of harm’s way.” Lyn said.

Lyn’s statement seemed to put Ninian into a good mood, “Thank you.”

“But I am concerned about your leg. You can’t travel on it...” Lyn stated with concern.

Nils looked like he had an epiphany, “I’ve an idea. Would it be too much to ask that we travel with you?”

“I can’t allow that! It’s far too dangerous. We’re being hunted. We never know when we’re going to be attacked.”

'I just assume it's whenever Sain opens his mouth.'

“We wouldn’t be a hindrance. We could even help you. Right, Ninian?” Nils said turning to his sister.

“Yes. We might be able to repay our debt using our...special talents.”

Lyn raised an eyebrow, “Special abilities?”

“When something poses a threat to us, we can sense its approach.” Ninian responded.

Lyn's eyes were now wide in surprise and wonder, “Truly? That’s amazing!”

“Oh, like a pinkie sense!” Mark exclaimed getting looks of confusion from the others.

Lyn shook her head and decided to get back on topic, “What do you think Kent?”

Kent pondered for a moment before replying, “I think leaving them here would case Lady Lyndis more worry than having them travel with us.”

She then turned to Sain, “Sain? Oh never mind. I know what your answer is. Do you really want to travel with us?” she asked wanting confirmation.

“Of course!” Nils said happily.

“You have our gratitude milady, oh...” Ninian said as she went from appreciative to crestfallen.

‘Uh oh.’

Lyn was alarmed by the change in attitude, “What’s wrong, Ninian?”

“I-I’ve lost my ring.” She murmured almost in tears

‘Phew, I thought it was something important.’

“Your ring?”

“They stole it? Those curs!!!”

‘And it’s not valuable enough to go after more men in black. Even if it we’re over 9000 gold or bits or whatever.’

“Was it valuable?”

“It was a keepsake from our departed mother.”

‘Doh!’

“It was also blessed by the spirit of Ninis...There’s no other like it in the world. And now we have lost it to those villains. There’s nothing we can do.” Nils said slumping his shoulders.

Lyn thought a moment

“Mark, can I talk to you?” She asked pulling Mark away from the twins. “You heard all of that right? What do you think? I’d really love to retrieve Ninian’s ring for her. But if Nils is right, those thieves might prove to be too strong for us. What should we do?”

Mark thought for a moment, “They went south, and that is our intended direction, so lets stop and get it back on the way to Caelin. Besides, their thieves, how can they be stronger than us?”

‘Unless I don’t know everything.’
‘And honestly you don’t.’
‘But I try.'

Lyn wrapped Mark in a hug (not her death hug) “You want to help them? That’s great! I was hoping you’d say that.” she said making Mark turn bright red at Lyn’s proximity.

‘I just hope this ring’s really worth it.’

*******************************************************************************************

“Why haven’t you done as my master planned yet Sombra!” Puppet-master seethed at the shadowy crystal unicorn king.

“Shut up. Your master gave me freedom to do this as I pleased and when I do something, I prefer to be....thorough.” The crystal king replied

“And what have you done then!” the spider-pony was almost yelling.

Sombra smiled a dark glint in his eyes, “I told you I’ve been thorough. I’ve expanded the brother’s jealousy into full blown hatred and fear of what he will eventually become if he continues to follow her. I have ‘contacted’ him telling him of a way out. Now you have something you can control and will follow orders unquestionably. Are you happy now, Spider-freak?”

Puppet-master began crawling away his voice echoing in the empty halls, “Yes Sombra. That is satisfactory. We will put that pawn to use soon. Come. My master rewards those that are loyal and get their tasks done well.”

Sombra’s shadowy legs turned solid as he followed the hybrid.


Author's Note:

I'm sorry that this wasn't my best chapter. I sorta had a writing slump. I'm trying to do better the next chapter though since it is nearing the end of Lyn's story. Also I'm going to post a blog post concerning how the mane six are going to arrive in Elibe, so check that out if you'd like. I hope you like the Hector cameo I made too.

PreviousChapters Next