• Published 14th Jun 2013
  • 3,054 Views, 490 Comments

Emblem of Harmony: The Blazing Sword - icebraker



Marked Defiance, the student of Equestria's Royal Tactician finds himself in Elibe where an evil plot threatens to destroy both worlds. Fire Emblem Crossover

  • ...
21
 490
 3,054

PreviousChapters Next
Chrysalis' Story Chapter 12: Still not as bad as Detrot

It was very early in the morning as ten figures made their way to the edge of the town called Ponyville. Each, with something covered on their backs. Celestia was only just peaking up the sun, casting minimal light and meaning that they would still be able to take advantage of the shadows.

The maroon stallion leading them, turned to the other nine, “Alright, Merse and Sledge, you take those three and search the east side of this town while Brix and I take these three and search the west. If you see a hospital, check it, she was injured from what our last reports stated about her and this is the closest place she could be. Remember to act casual, I want this operation to go as subtlety as possible. We’ll meet back up near the center at the marketplace. Any questions?”

A hot pink pony in the back raised his hoof.

“Mimzy, I swear, if you’re about to ask what she looks like, or if you can use the bathroom, again, I’m going to kill you myself!” He said through grit teeth.

The hoof promptly went back down.

“Good. And remember, King Morphos said dead or alive, now move out.”

***************************************************************************************

“Hello there Mark.” Said the earth pony, grazing a hoof across his chest as she gave him bedroom eyes.

“Uh...hey there uhmm...do I know you?” He asked nervously backing away a bit, his cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

The mare closed the distance her face only inches away from Mark’s, “That hurts. After what we went through together, and even after the change I made, you can’t recognize me? You even have feelings for another mare.” She said in a sad tone, turning her head away.

Mark blinked for a second as he took in the mare’s feature’s. She had a dark green mane and tail complimenting her emerald irises. Both were tied in a ponytail fashion. His eyes traveled across her body examining her light blue coat and ending on her flank and her cutie mark which was a picture of a familiar glowing sword, the Mani Kati.

His eyes widened in disbelief, “L-Lyn? Is that you?”

She looked back at Mark, the smile returning, "You do remember. I had thought you'd forgotten me."

"I'd never forget you! I love you. It's just...I also...have feelings for Crystal...too..." Mark said biting his lip. How was he supposed to explain this to her? He needed time to prepare. To at least get something to cushion the blows he would receive emotionally and probably physically too.

Suddenly, Mark's head was wrapped by Lyn's front legs as she crashed her lips onto his in a deep kiss. For Mark that 30 seconds it seemed to be an eternity of bliss before she broke the kiss and pushed him onto his back. "I guess I'll just have to share. But for now you're all mine." She replied in a sultry tone, an almost hungry look in her eyes.

Mark’s face went from yellow to orange to many shades of red as he stuttered, “T-t-th-that’s-um-what did-”

Lyn the pony placed a hoof over his mouth, “Sshhh, no more talking. Don’t worry I’ll take care of everything.” she said, removing her hoof and giving him a quick peck on the lips. "And you already know what I mean."

“Wait, but the poison joke turned me-”

“It doesn’t matter, either mare or stallion will be just as fun.” She said seductively, placing her hoof onto his chest then slowly and meaningfully trailing it down his fur past his stomach until it reached-

*BBBBBBBRRRRRIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

*******************************************************************************************

Mark’s eye shot open and his hoof instinctively hit the snooze button on the alarm. The particular alarm that he currently wanted to smash with a hammer and incinerate somewhere a hundred times.... Maybe Twilight was done testing those tomes?

‘That close....’
‘I know right? Haven’t had a dream like that since the time you found that playcolt magazine.’
‘That close....’
‘It’s kinda sad though to not even get laid in your dreams. Then again, Lyn would never really act like that.'
'Just a few more minutes.....'
'And you'd probably have to clean the stain out of the sheets, if you catch my drift.'
'I'm a mare now, remember?'
'You're point being?'
‘I’m gonna kill you if you if keep going on like that.’
‘Understandable, but I’d be more concerned about last night, because one of these things doesn't belong here.’

Mark blinked a few times. Something wasn't right. He stiffened as he felt something move and he looked down. On his chest lay black hoof that moved again, rubbing against his chest. Mark's heart began to race.

'Fuck me!'
'Whoever this is may have already.'

Slowly his head turned as he followed it to the origin until it had almost turned 180 degrees and he was face to face with a very familiar set of green eyes, gazing at directly at him.

“Have a good dream?”

The former stallion yelped, springing from his bed in surprise. Unfortunately, that involved falling off the side and hitting his head on the corner of the end table where a particular alarm clock would be laughing had it not been an inanimate object.

Mark sat there cradling his head, "AAAAAAHHHH, PPPHHHHH, AAAAAHHHHHH, PPPHHHH, AAAAAHHHH!!!!!"

Crystal almost laughed at the mare but refrained for politeness sake, “Are you ok?”

Still laying on the floor rubbing his head, Mark looked at Crystal in confusion, “Crystal? Phew, I thought you took advantage of me or someth- wait a sec, what in tartarus are you doing? Your awake and your in my bed! You should be in the hospital healing!” Mark said before gently poking the spot where he hit his head and wincing at the pain. "And maybe I should too. Is there blood? With this amount of pain there better damn well be blood or I'm suing...."

'Yourself, for having tough skin and a hard head?'
'Oh shut up.'

Crystal snorted in amusement. This mare reminded her of a certain pony she used to know. “Most ponies would be happy not bleeding from their head. And for the hospital. I’ve checked myself out of that dreary place and I’m going to be staying here for however long it takes. Don’t worry, I just plan on staying close to you until I'm ready to leave. I'll be out of your fur in no time.” 'Especially if you continue to have dreams that cause you to radiate love like that.' She thought with a smirk.

While the mysterious yellow mare looked confused at that statement, Crystal used the opportunity to take a deep breath. She almost looked pained saying the next part but out of the many things she may be, she didn't want to be 'ungrateful' to the one who saved her. “I also wanted to thank you. I’m a stranger and yet you helped me. There aren't many ponies I know that would do that.”

“Well then you know some crappy ponies. Though I know you quite well, so I'm obviously not one of them."

Crystal’s eyes widened for a second before she got off the bed and gave the yellow unicorn a suspicious and unsure look, “How do you know me? I'm absolutely sure I've never met a mare like you before so who are you?” She asked, searching her memories again for anything about this mare.

‘Doesn’t look like she’s changed too much.’
‘Well she’s always been cautious and you just made yourself out to be a stranger who knows her personally so you might want to tell her.’
‘Fine, but I’m going to make her figure it out. It’s boring if I just tell her and this might as well be my means of payback.’

Giving Crystal a defiant smirk, Mark answered her, “I’ll let you wrap your head around it.”

Crystal's eyes narrowed into a glare, clearly unamused, and now suspicious of the mare’s intent.

Rolling his eyes, Mark continued, “You don’t recognize me because I had an unfortunate run-in with poison joke. However I’m gonna ask that you believe me when I say that I want you to get better from... whatever happened to you.” Mark said gesturing to her hurt wing.

“That's fine, but it doesn’t answer my question. Who are you?” Crystal said in a low tone, her glare not faltering.

Mark sighed as he slowly got back onto his hooves. “Take a very good look. I’m sure it’ll come to you eventually.”

Crystal wasted no time as she carefully examined the mare. This unicorn seemed familiar yet everything just drew a blank for her, from her brown and white mane mane color, to her light yellow coat, and her icy blue eyes. Even her cutie mark of a sword slicing a queen chess piece down the middle. The only pony she knew who had anything even close to those were.... realization hit her like a sledgehamer, “N-no, it can’t be...”

‘She remembers.’

With a smile, Mark walked to the pegasus mare and being extremely careful of her wing, gave her a tender hug. “It’s good to see you again Crystal.”

******************************************************************************************

It was just about lunchtime so Applejack took a bite out of one of her apples, chewing slowly to savor the taste. Nothing beat the quality of her family’s apples she thought happily. Currently it was her shift to watch the applecart, selling apples and apple products. Especially since today was the day most ponies got their groceries.

Opening her eyes she saw her older brother making his way towards the cart. “Hey there Big Mac. Ah thought you were stayin’ at the farm fer yer chores today.” She said using her foreleg to wipe some stray apple juice off her mouth.

“Eeyup. Just returning this since ah’m done cuttin’ those darn dead limbs.” Mac replied, holding out his hoof holding a slightly used axe that Mark had given his sister a few days ago. “Ah was also wondering if yah wanted ta switch out few today.”

Applejack looked to her brother in confusion as she took the axe and placed it on the counter. Sure he’d relieve her shift here at the applecart sometimes, but she usually worked at least a bit longer before he’d offer. She noticed the large stallion looking around in the crowd before it suddenly it clicked and a mischievous smile spread on her face, “You just want to see Deviance, don’tcha?”

The large stallion blushed but nodded reluctantly, there’s no use lying to the element of honesty, much less, his sister after all.

Applejack had to stop herself from laughing. She still hadn’t told him who Deviance really was since she figured he’d given up after the yellow mare had ‘come out of the closet’. Shaking her head she patted her brother on the back in comfort, “Big Mac, ah need to tell you somethin’ about that mare. She’s actually-”

“Eeyup. Yer right AJ.”

“Of course ah am...What the hay am I right about again?”

“Ah figured she was Mark’s sister since they had similar mane and coat colors, they even dress similar. Ah shouldn’t be tryin’ to woo her without his say so. I expect the same out of any stallion wanting to git with you or Applebloom after all.”

Applejack gaped at her brother for a moment before deciding that now was the time to let the cat out of the bag before something happened, “Actually she’s-”

“Hey there Applejack, Big Mac. Guess who’s up and about?” Called Deviance as she trotted up to the cart followed at a distance by a reluctant looking black pegasus mare.

******************************************************************************************

Crystal cursed her luck.

Sure last night was a wonderful meal, but had she known that the mare who had been her visitor in the hospital was Mark, she would have risked it and never have left that damnable place, pretending to be comatose for a few more days.

It didn’t make sense either. He still had feelings for her. Feelings that she had thought she’d crushed years ago. If she hadn't tasted those feelings herself, she wouldn't believe it. Why did he still love her? He wasn’t supposed to love her.

Her heart felt heavy as she remembered the day she left him. The wind under her wings as she had glanced back to see the already broken colt, then shatter as he watched her leave. Yet here he was. Acting as if she had never left. To her relief he didn’t even ask where she went, but why? Did he not care? Did he forget? Was he really that much of a fool?

A happy sigh escaped her. He had always been a fool in his own way. As long as she'd known him, he'd find trouble, by accident or not. This time he'd even managed to change genders because of it, the fool. But still, he was her fool, she thought with a smile.

She stopped and quickly scolded herself for having such thoughts. Now was not the time to be thinking about this. Right now she had to rethink her plans. The fact that he was here complicated matters for her.

It didn't take long for her to decide. Her best bet was to take as much love as she could today then leave later tonight when no one would know she was gone until it was too late. Then she'd go to a another nearby town and go with her original plan again there. It was a long shot, but then again she really didn’t have any other choice unless-

“Hey there Applejack, Big Mac. Guess who’s up and about?” She heard Mark or “Deviance” as he liked to be called in public (until he was changed back into a stallion) call out, breaking her out of her thoughts. Though where had she heard that first name before?

Crystal noticed she had fallen behind. However, just before she was about to return to Mark’s side, she stopped and realized who he was talking to. Not only was he talking to one of the most muscular stallions she had ever seen, but it was also the element of honesty who noticed her stopped approach.

“Well, don’t be shy now. Ah ain’t gonna bite.” The orange mare called out to Crystal waving her hoof in greeting.

Not seeing a choice lest she rouse suspicion, she rather slowly walked up to the applecart, taking care to stay close to Mark. Normally one of the elements wouldn’t be a problem for her to handle, but in her current state, it would only end with her utter defeat and probable death.

“Howdy there, you must be Crystal, ah’m Applejack and this here is mah brother Big Macintosh.” She said happily in her southern drawl offering out a hoof to shake.

"Charmed.” Crystal replied simply, ignoring the hoof and trying to hide her her contempt with a smile.

Applejack frowned for a moment and brought her hoof back down before smiling again, "Ah'm glad you're feeling better. If'in you're feeling the urge ta eat something, mah family grows the finest apples in Ponyville.

"I'm fine. I had a large breakfast." Crystal said averting her eyes from AJ.

Applejack raised an eyebrow at the pegasus, something didn’t sit right with her about this mare and she was hiding something. Sure, it wasn’t any of her business and she was Mark’s friend, but why was she being so defensive?

Meanwhile, Mark caught the two farm-ponies attention when he pulled a small bag of bits with the number fifteen stitched on it out of his cloak, setting it on the counter of the cart. “This is still enough for a bag of apples and an apple fritter, right?”

“Eeyup. And have another fritter on the house.” Big Mac said as he grabbed a large bag of apples in his mouth and began helping place it on Mark’s back. Applejack on the other hoof shook her head at her brother. Clearly annoyed, but not against giving her friend a fritter on the house.

“Thanks Big Mac. I appreciate it.” Mark said blinking in mild surprise before smiling. Had Mark been in Big Mac's position he would have realized that his blinking looked like fluttering eyelashes and that the following smile had made a swarm of butterflies flutter in the red stallion's gut.

Crystal almost laughed when she sensed the amount of love coming off of the large stallion towards Mark go higher than what was considered “friendly”.

Speaking of the town....While Mark was preoccupied with getting his groceries, it wasn’t a bad idea to look around the marketplace for any other ponies to feed off of. Especially since her desperate feeding off of Mark these past days, had left his coat paler than it should be, which was never a great sign for both his health and for her subterfuge.

She scanned the passing ponies until she spotted two particular ponies at a nearby cafe saying something to one another with sickeningly lovey-dovey expressions. It was unpleasant to watch and likely more-so to listen to, but definitely a delicious treat.

Taking another glance at Mark to make sure he was still preoccupied, she wandered off to the cafe, letting her experience and training take over as she naturally blended with the other ponies. She was close enough to get at least trace amounts of love and was about to start feeding when she noticed a sudden decline in the love floating around the couple. Looking towards them, they were still gazing at each other, still saying sweet nothings to one another, oblivious to the world around them.

What Crystal saw next made her freeze and back up a step.

Sitting casually at another table in that cafe was a maroon stallion his gaze intent on the couple as he occasionally licked his chops. Normally she could care less about some creepy pony in a cafe (as long as said pony wasn't interested in her), however, when that particular pony started feeding off the love, then she was worried, since it meant that like her, that pony was a changeling in disguise. A faint sliver of light next to the disguised changeling, blinded her for a moment, before she realized it was worse. The he was armed with a sword. Only a part of the blade stuck out from the cloth covering it, but she knew a sword when she saw one.

Luckily for her, she hadn't been seen yet, so slowly and quietly she backed up bumping into somepony. Turning to apologize and make a quick get away back to Mark. She yelped when the pony roughly grabbed her mane in his teeth.

“Well, hello darling. Didn’t expect to find you this easily.”

********************************************************************************************

Mark inspected the axe that AJ had left on the counter before turning to the orange mare, “I’m glad that the axe was as useful as I thought it’d be.” He said before feeling a large hoof tap his shoulder. He turned his head to the sight of Big Mac shuffling his hooves a bit.

“So Deviance...I was wondering if you could tell your brother I wanted to talk to him.” Big Mac said a bit nervously.

Mark's eyes widened,“H-How did you know I had a brother? Did Applebloom tell you?”

“No. It’s just you and Mark are so similar that I’d bet mah collar that your both siblings.” Mac replied with a bit more confidence.

‘Looks more like a yoke to me.’

Mark's chuckled, though due to the change in his voice sounded more like a giggle, “Big Mac...Applejack didn’t tell you, did she?”

The red stallion gulped, this was the moment of truth! “Look Deviance, ah know you don’t know me very well and that ya said you liked mares. But ah at least want tah git to know you better.”

Mark froze and his eyes widened as he finally realized why Big Mac was being friendlier than usual.
‘Oh my Celestia, he’s actually gone there.’
‘Damn, you really know how to work it girl.’
‘Shut up! I’m the one who has to make this a whole load of awkward!’

Mark blinked several times at the poor stallion, before glaring at Applejack. “AJ, you should have told him much sooner. Why didn't you?”

“Sorry sugarcube, ah thought he gave it up.” The orange mare replied, scratching her foreleg in discomfort.

“What are ya’ll talking about?” Big Mac asked clearly confused at the turn in conversation.

“Big Mac, I understand you find me attractive, but I’m a mares only kind of pony for a start. And I’m only this way for a few more days.” Mark said, hoping that that would be enough.

'Please be a good enough...'

The stallion's confused look told him it wasn't.

'...Fuck.'

Mark let out a sigh, this probably wouldn’t end well but he didn’t have a choice. “Mac, I'm not who you think I am. I accidentally walked through poison joke and-”

“AH!” Mark heard from a familiar voice, turning his head to the source.

Over by the cafe he was at a few days ago, a light brown stallion was grabbing Crystal by her mane and exchanging eye contact with a maroon stallion who had a very victorious grin on his face.

Without hesitation, Mark charged towards the brown stallion. And right as the stallion turned to look at him, tackled him off of Crystal. “I don’t know who the fuck you are. But get AWAY FROM MY FRIEND!” Mark all but screamed in rage.

The maroon stallion who was apparently the leader assisted his cohort back on his hooves, “I suggest you leave now pony, or else you might get scars all over that pretty little face of yours.”

Mark smirked as he glared at the stallion, “You can try, but I know I’ll never be as ugly as you.”

The maroon stallion’s eye twitched, “Fine then, Brix teach this pony a lesson.” He then considered something for a moment before adding with an evil grin, “Then go ahead and bring her along, we could use the snack and...recreation, on the way back.”

Before Mark could even consider why he said that, he found himself thrown against the wall and then pinned by a purple pony. He struggled to free himself to no avail.

‘Come on there’s gotta be something’
He thought looking around. They were starting to gather a crowd.

“I got her commander Vrynne.” the pony said, looking towards the leader.

Mark spotted a mug of coffee that a random pony watcher was too scared to drink right now.

‘Come on, use your head.’
Mark headbutted the purple pony.
‘Not what I meant but-’
He then grabbed the coffee with his magic and threw it in the stallion’s face. The pony screamed in pain, clutching his face as the still-hot coffee burned and steamed.
‘Nevermind.’

Getting up and rubbing his head, Mark was about to make a smart-ass comment to the maroon stallion but got distracted as the pony that pinned him only moments ago, went up in green fire before getting replaced with a changeling screaming in pain. Everypony stopped and stared, looking between the screaming changeling and the maroon stallion who was currently rubbing his temple in aggravation.

‘I did not see that one coming.’
‘Wait a sec, Ponyville’s one of the most innocent towns I’ve been in. Shouldn’t at least some of these ponies be-’

“CHANGELINGS! EVERYPONY RUN!” Screamed one of the ponies before making a break for it. Ponies all around then began screaming and scrambling as they ran to their homes for safety. “THE HORROR! THE HORROR!” Said one of them before she fainted soon after. Two mares grabbed the one that fainted and ran for their home.

Once all the bystanders were gone, all that was left in that immediate area was Crystal, a gaping Mark, the changeling, three other ponies including the maroon one, and a pregnant silence.

‘-panicking.’
‘Well, this just got awkward I think.’

“Does anypony else think that this just got awkward?” Mark decided to ask.

One of the ponies that remained, a small hot pink stallion with something covered strapped to his back, raised his hoof. But quickly brought it back down after the maroon stallion glared at him.

Shaking his head the maroon stallion scowled, “Well, so much for any semblance of doing this quietly.” Suddenly, he himself was surrounded by a green fire and replaced by a changeling with a scar that went from the base of his hoof up to his shoulder. He wore a deep blue chest piece and helmet which indicated his leadership, “Kay, boys, no point in staying disguised. Get both of them, and if any others get in your way, either bring them for lunch, or kill them.” He hissed in a multi-layered voice.

As per his orders, the remaining ponies that had stayed behind, transformed via green fire, their fur replaced with black chitin, they then took the coverings off of the weapons on their backs.

‘This isn’t good.’
‘I know, I really liked this cafe.’
‘Focus or else-’

Mark couldn’t finish that thought as the changeling known as “Brix”, recovered from Mark’s coffee attack and quickly gave him a strong and powerful backhoof, knocking him aside and actually causing him to slide along the ground.

"OW!"
‘That’s gonna bruise. Now get up before-’
‘YOU DON’T THINK I KNOW THAT!’

Mark shifted and rolled to regain his stance but wasn’t aware of the changeling’s followup kick until it was too late. Which knocked the air out of him when it made contact with his side.

“Your gonna pay for that.” Brix said as he put a holed hoof on Mark’s throat and began applying pressure. “But what to do with you once I’m done. Commander said to take you for a snack but...” He continued in thought.

Mark tried hitting the offending hoof off of him so that he could breath. Unfortunately the changeling’s defensive carapace as well as Mark’s lack of strength made that as successful as knocking down a tree with a wooden stick.

“Maybe since nobody’s looking I’ll just extract all the love out of you at once. We changelings have our ways after all.” Brix whispered close to Mark’s ear with a sadistic grin, causing Mark to struggle even more in instinctive fear. He began to see spots in his vision and feel his eyes tear up from lack of air. "Though being such a pretty mare, maybe if you start begging, I'll make you my-"

Mark heard a large thud with an accompanying crack as the pressure immediately came off of his throat. Opening his eyes, he saw that it was a worried Big Mac.

“Are ya ok Deviance?” The red stallion asked rushing to Mark's and helping him up.

The yellow unicorn stumbled a bit, coughing as she (Mark) rubbed her throat. “*cough, cough* I’m fine. *cough* Just need to catch my breath again.” He replied noticing that Brix was currently embedded into the wall unconscious, his carapace cracked in several places around two new hoof sized craters in the chitin.

‘DAMN! Glad you’re on Mac’s good side.’
‘You know, you’ve been pretty useless right now.’
‘Sorry, it’s just one of those off days for me.’
‘Seriously? You get those too?’
‘You should probably focus.’
‘Right.’

Mark looked around, the other changelings along with Crystal were gone.

“Mac, where’s Crystal?” He asked trying to keep the panic out of his still recovering voice.

Big Mac gave an angry expression as he answered, “Yer friend ran away and those bugs chased after her. Applejack went ta go help her but ah still gonna go knock them outta town too. Deviance, why don’t you stay and-”

He stopped when he saw Mark’s hoof make a shushing motion.

“No Mac. They couldn’t have gotten far, and their all armed.” Mark said in a calm and icy tone. He brought his hood over his head as he looked to Big Mac his eyes narrowed in concentration. “How well can you use an axe?”

********************************************************************************************

Earlier......

Fear gripped Crystal as the changeling Mark had hit in the face with a cup of coffee, recovered and smacked him aside with ease. Turning her head she looked at the other changelings that were starting to surround her.

She didn’t have a choice.

Turning towards a nearby alley, she ran, knocking objects down behind her as she ran by them. If she did this right, they should be slowed and restricted and enough that she might be able to escape. And if they were really after her, the fact that they were chasing her might even give Mark a chance.

She turned down another smaller alleyway as she heard the familiar buzzing of the changelings’ wings behind her. She couldn’t run this time. She didn't have enough love yet to reach a safe distance from these changelings, and if she went past her limits again, it would be the end of her this time. Her only hope was this smaller alley, if she could reach the end and bottleneck them, she could definitely take a few out.

Reaching the end of the alley she made an almost immediate stop, planting her forelegs in the ground and using the the forward momentum to bring her hind legs in. Her legs then shot out in a powerful buck, which was accompanied by a satisfying crack as it came into contact with one of her pursuers with the added bonus of knocking him into the changeling behind him and causing a domino effect with a small pile of four changelings trying to get back off of one another. It turned out better than she had hoped.

That is until she heard the familiar sound of metal sliding out of a sheathe, coming from directly in front of her. Without thought, she ducked, feeling the flow of air as the steel sword sliced the ends of her mane. She returned to looking forward. It was the scarred commander of the changeling squad.

“You don’t really think I’d fall for that alley trick, did you?” He said with an arrogant grin before slashing again. This time however Crystal wasn’t fast enough in her dodge and it got her side, blood flowing steadily out of the wound.

“Please. You have to see what he’s doing. He’ll be the end of the hive!” Crystal said desperately as she gripped her side, limping backwards to get her back to a wall.

Vrynne shrugged arrogantly. “As much as I believe you, I can’t disobey orders. You most of all, know why. And do try to accept your death with some dignity.” He said as he raised his sword to finish the job.

“Um, sir?!” A small changeling with a pinkish blue mane called a bit frantically. He was still trying to untangle himself out of the alleyway.

The changeling commander glared bloody murder at the small changeling, “Mimzy, what is it? Can’t you see I’m about to finish our job so we can leave!”

The changeling named Mimzy cringed at the commander’s tone but continued, “B-but, sir there’s a pony-”

In the blink of an eye, Rainbow Dash delivered a swift flying buck to Vrynne’s face knocking his helmet off and sending him flying into a nearby crate. She then took a defensive stance between the changeling group and Crystal.

“-flying... towards... you.” Mimzy finished with a squeak before one of the changelings in the pile pushed him aside and exited the alleyway to assist their leader. This helped untangle the rest of the small mass of changelings and soon they all filed out, surrounding the two pegasi.

“Come on! I’ve taken loads more jerks than you.” RD said with bravado, hovering slightly off the ground, hooves at the ready.

“And ah don’t like anypony messing with mah friends.” Applejack said as she joined in, running up next to RD emerging another nearby alleyway.

Recognition traced the Vrynne’s eyes as he buzzed his wings, lifting himself out of the crate. He cracking his neck. “I remember you two. Two bearers of the elements of harmony in the same town, this is just great.” He seethed aloud. The changelings surrounding the ponies looked to their leader suddenly unsure of themselves. It took almost half the invasion force just to handle the six bearers, what chance did they have against two of them them? Vrynne cleared his throat as he tapped his sword against the broken crate.

RD and AJ’s eyes widened as the changelings remembered they were armed and drew their weapons, a variety of swords, axes, and lances, though one of them fumbled in his attempt and accidentally sent his sword sliding across the ground towards the three ponies.

Vrynne once again rubbed his temple with his hoof. “Goddammit Mimzy. Just... go find the other squad and send them this way. I'll fry your sorry ass later.”

“S-sorry.” Mimzy whimpered before scrambling somewhere out of sight.

Quickly, Rainbow picked up the sword in her hooves and used her wings to help her balance as she stood on her hind hooves. “Stay back unless you wanna lose something!” She yelled, causing the changelings take a step back.

“Ah, didn’t know you knew how to use a sword.” Applejack whispered to the side, still trying to look tough.

“I actually only know how to use lances, but they don’t know that. Besides, I’m a black belt in pegasi karate, and swords aren't too hard right? All I have to do is swing the sharp end at them.” Rainbow whispered back.

The changelings smiled as their ears twitched.

“Unfortunately, you didn’t know changelings have increased senses in their regular forms.” Crystal said as she bumped past Applejack in irritation, “And give me that before you hurt someone.” She added, grabbing the sword out of Rainbow’s hooves.

Crystal held the the sword handle uneasily in her hoof, the blade resting lightly on her shoulder. She grit her teeth. She was already wounded, but if she was going to die, she was going to take as many of them down with her as she could.

One of the changelings to her right charged bringing his sword down in a slash. Crystal parried the sword and was about to counter when Applejack beat her to it with a strong buck, sending him flying.

Another one tried to get her from behind, but RD punched him before lifting off the ground and delivering several repeated kicks, knocking that changeling into the one AJ sent flying. Subsequently, it made them crash into a nearby stall, but wasn't enough to knock them unconscious.

****************************************************************************************
Commander Vrynne cursed. This mission wasn't going as planned and it seemed that it was getting worse with Brix still occupied with that mare form earlier, Mimzy unable to fight from his incompetence, and the only other two who just rushed in like idiots before getting bitch-slapped into a shopping stall. He stayed back for now to watch for an opportunity and wait for the rest of his squad.

He turned to the two changelings who were recovering from their crash, "Idiots, use maneuver two."

Taking a moment to remember which one that was, they nodded to their commander before one of them charged again with the other close behind and using the charger to block the mares view of him. Vrynne grinned in anticipation.

As he expected, the two ponies could only focus on the charging changeling until it was too late and the changeling behind jumped over, buzzing his wings for some minor lift. The three mares' eyes widened as he brought his sword up to strike. 'Crystal', as she was called currently, tried to bring the sword up to block or parry but lost her grip on the sword as her wound took it's toll. He heard a slight whooshing sound, followed by a squelch and a thump as he tackled the 'pegasus'. Mission accomplished, the target's down and dead.

"Alright, leave the wounded we're getting-" He watched in shock as Crystal tossed the dead changeling off of her. An axe stuck in his troop's head.

****************************************************************************************

“Good throw Big Mac.” Mark said before he sprinted up to Crystal who currently was clutching her side as best she could, “Crystal, are you ok?”

“Of course, I’m just peachy.” She replied, her voice dripping heavily with anger and sarcasm.

‘She’ll live.’
'You're right. It's not deep but it probably hurts.'

In the corner of his eyes, he saw that the changeling who acted as a distraction earlier receive a strong punch to the face from Big Mac, effectively knocking him out. He then noticed the movement as the commander fled back through an alleyway.

He turned to the mares his expression cold and calculating, "That's not the last of them. Big Mac, take Crystal to the hospital then get Twilight to send a letter to the princess, she needs to know about this." Big Mac opened his mouth to protest, "And no arguing! AJ, Rainbow, your with me, while they're regrouping we need to strike hard and fast."

Rainbow nodded, but AJ was too busy staring at the dead changeling to hear.

"Applejack are you alright?" Mark asked tapping her shoulder.

AJ gulped, holding back the urge to vomit, before turning away from the corpse, "Why'd ya kill him? Couldn't ya have found another way?"

"Maybe. But these changelings aren't really looking for long-term prisoners this time around and so I need you to focus or else it may not be just them that end up dead. Can you do that or do I need to switch you with Big Mac?" He said looking her in the eye.

The orange mare hesitated, looking back at the changeling then to Big Mac who was helping Crystal onto his back. She wouldn't put her big brother in danger. "Alright. Ah'm not gonna back off if'n these varmints are planning ta hurt mah friends and family." She said with renewed determination.

"Good." Mark said, his horn glowing in a yellow aura. Applejack didn't need to turn around to know what just made a squelching sound behind her. Shaking the excess blood off the hand-axe, Mark lifted the axe to Applejack who grabbed the handle in her mouth. "Now let's go."

*******************************************************************************************

"Hah! You missed again!" Rainbow taunted as she skillfully did a double loop, dodging two midair slashes.

"IDIOTS! Go for the one in green! She's the one giving orders!" Yelled Vrynne in a commanding tone.

'Of course I get pointed out.'
'Well there's only three of you and you're the one yelling orders after they actually tried to ambush us here near town hall.'
'I'm more surprised they were able to regroup so fast.'

"GAH!" shouted another changeling as Applejack threw the axe, hitting him directly in the chest.

"Applejack, six o'clock!" Mark shouted. The mare in question promptly took her stance and bucked the changeling into the air and Rainbow didn't waste any time as she then spiked him like a volleyball to the ground.

"Nice hit Rainbow now- Whoa!" Mark yelped before quickly dodging a thrust by a lance.

'Where'd he come from?'
'Well, when a momma changeling and a-'
'Not now!'

Mark closed the distance so that the changeling couldn't get momentum to thrust again and wrapped his forelegs around the changeling's hooves grabbing the lance as well. The changeling quickly responded by using his superior strength to try and throw Mark off. When that didn't work he slammed the former stallion into the ground, adding a few punches here and there. "A little assistance would be nice right now girls!" Screamed before getting slammed into the ground again.

With a swift punch, Rainbow hit the changeling and then yanking the lance out of it's hooves, spun and hit the changeling again with the shaft of the lance knocking him into a wall where he slid down unconscious.

"Thanks Rainbow." He said as the cyan mare helped him back on his hooves.

"Anytime." She replied through some heavy breaths.

'Is today national beat me up day or something?'
'I'd definitely celebrate it!'
'Shush.'

"Sorry Mark. We thought yah could handle yourself, with yer adventure in another world and all." AJ said apologetically.

"I did, as the tactician. Tact-ic-ian!" Mark emphasized, looking past them at the changeling commander and his other two changelings. "Either way you two are doing a good job but we've still got the leader and two more cronies. At least we're not quite outnumbered anymore."

The commander's ear twitched from hearing that line and an arrogant smile grew on his face, "But unlike the changelings you just fought, we're trained and experienced. In fact, Merse and Sledge here are just a few beats away from a promotion and their own command." Vrynne said with a laugh when he saw Mark's look of surprise and comprehension. "Yes that's right, I tired you out with the grunts and now it's time to clean up. The king will be mad that the target's gotten away, but I'm sure killing two of the element bearers will make up for that!"

Mark looked closely at the three remaining changelings and cursed under his breath he was right. As the changeling commander stated, they looked like they had actual fighting experience and to make it worse, each had a different weapon in the weapons triangle. The commander had a sword, the slim one, who was probably Merse, a lance, and the large, muscular one, named Sledge, an axe.

The tactician looked to his two friends and at the moment, troops. Both were breathing heavily though he could tell that it was more from a little overexertion dabbed with bits of fear and determination and that they'd recover from it soon. Applejack had a few light scratches and cuts, nothing major but she limped a little in her front leg. Rainbow was better for wear, but was now sporting several light bruises on her side. Either way, both could fight through it with their adrenaline but not as well as trained and experienced soldiers. Mark scoured his mind for anything he could use. They could definitely pull a win in the end, but all scenarios ended up with one of them dead.

'You don't have a chance if you go for an open charge.'
'Alleyways could force a one on one, but that's where their experience would kick in.'
'Time to wing it.'

Mark took a step backwards, "Girls, we can't win right now! Strategic Withdrawal!" He shouted before turning tail and running down the open area.

The two mares looked to each other and to the armed changelings nervously before running (or in RD's case flying) after Mark. Being two of the most athletic ponies in Ponyville, they quickly caught up, though they heard the three changelings buzzing after them.

"What in tarnation are ya doing!?" Applejack yelled at the tactician.

Mark gave her an annoyed look, "What's it look like? The odds are against us right now. I refuse to fight them on their terms."

"Seriously dude! We can take them, so what are you doing!" Rainbow added outraged that Mark didn't have faith in their abilities.

Mark's eyes scanned their surroundings, the nearby carts made the previously open area narrow more, not as much as the alley luckily, "Saving both your lives. AJ, do you still carry around that lasso under your hat?"

Applejack looked at the (current) mare in confusion, "Of course ah do. What are you thinking?"

Mark glanced behind him. As expected the slim changeling, Merse, was catching up to them, leaving Vrynne and Sledge in his dust, but also letting them get closer together. "Changing the odds. Now use it on that changeling!" He commanded, a wicked grin growing on his face.

With a look like that, Applejack knew Mark had a trick or two planned. She whipped her head up causing her stetson to fly off and coincidentally into Merse's face, blinding him. Then with practiced skill, she shifted the end of the rope into her mouth and twirled it until there was a large loop. Expertly, she threw the loop around the chasing changeling and tightened it loosely so it wouldn't fall off and she could still run.

"Now stop and hold on tight!" Mark shouted as he stopped, Applejack and Rainbow following in suit. Merse however, was still blinded by the stetson and even if he wasn't, wouldn't have expected the sudden stop, so he continued flying past the three, rope still looped around him. With a yank and Merse's continued flight, the rope tightened painfully around the changeling. Mark's smile didn't fade, "And return to sender. Rainbow when you see the opportunity hit 'em fast!"

Applejack and Rainbow had a gleam in their eye as they realized what Mark had planned.

Rainbow flew away from the changelings before using one of the stalls as a springboard and pushing off hard enough to knock over the stall and speed back towards her friends, twirling her lance.

During that short time interval while RD was flying ahead, Applejack spun holding onto the rope with strength only an earth pony like her could have. The changeling at the end wheezed as the air was squeezed out of him, and using the momentum, AJ released the rope, throwing Merse back at the oncoming changelings.

Vrynne was fast enough to dodge and continue his charge now that there was an opening at the ponies, Sledge on the other hand received a painful headbutt from Merse, knocking both of them unconscious with a sharp crack.

*******************************************************************************************

Vrynne roared in anger as he raised his sword. He was going to kill that yellow mare who had ruined his entire plan. Sure, there was no hope of winning now, but ponies didn't kill prisoners as far as he knew and once that mare was out of the way, he'd surrender then easily escape with at least some of his troops. The mare's horn and cloak were wrapped in a yellow aura and the cloak twirled towards him, blocking his view and was going to tangle him up if it reached him.

The changeling commander grinned, apparently she thought he was stupid. He immediately buzzed his wings faster and angled himself for a quick aerial dodge over the twirling cloak. Suddenly, he felt a heavy and cold pressure in his stomach, followed by deep pain. Looking down, there was the shaft of the lance protruding from him and being held by an angry looking cyan pegasus. He laughed in disbelief and horror at his fate, "And it was such...a...simple.....order.............."

*******************************************************************************************

“Is something other than a light show supposed to happen?” Crystal asked in an annoyed and pained tone, as she continued to clutch her side. To her luck as well as chagrin, Twilight Sparkle had read a book about basic first aid and stopped the bleeding with a few bandages.

Mark gave her an angry look, "Well, at least I'm trying, but don't you think it would be so much simpler, safer, and, oh I don't know, better, to have gone to the fucking hospital where they have doctors?!"

"I'm not going back to that place." Crystal replied as the staff Mark held over her just spluttered more lights, this time ending with a small noise that almost sounded like a fart.

Mark almost threw the staff on the ground in frustration.

‘Why doesn’t this work for me!?’
‘Dunno. Let me think about it.’

After the changeling commander was taken care of, Twilight and Big Mac had shown up ready for a fight. Instead, Mark suggested that Twilight organized a clean-up of the town and a search party to check for more changelings. Twilight agreed but when she let him know that Crystal was resting at the library, it took a lot of Mark's strength to not go ballistic right then and there. Fortunately, Mark had calmed down after thinking that he'd get a heal staff to work this time however, it wasn't going as planned and Fluttershy had just arrived with her first aid kit.

“Mark, please calm down. I’m sure you’ll get it eventually.” Fluttershy said in a soothing and encouraging tone.

“Eventually’s not gonna cut it! I want to help her now, Fluttershy. The first time I see her in years and she’s seriously injured only getting better quickly because I had some spare vulnerary leftover from Elibe. THEN, we’re attacked by changelings who injure her some more in the middle of town no less.” He snapped, quickly regretting it when he saw the yellow pegasus cringing with teary eyes.

'You're a jackass.'
'I know! I didn't mean to!'

Crystal frowned at Mark, that strange poultice from before definitely helped, but it wasn’t the main cause of her initial recovery. In fact, the yellow pegasus was releasing several small but healthy streams of love to everything nearby. It was a small meal for her, but still helped and now Mark might have just scared that source away. "Apologize." Crystal demanded.

‘This is why you shouldn’t bottle your feelings.’
‘Well, how am I supposed to help her?!’
‘Remember, Erk said it’s powered by faith. What do you believe in?’
‘I-I don’t...I don’t know.’

Mark looked to Fluttershy who was sniffling. She looked like she was about to run away.

“Flutters...I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have snapped at you like that. You didn’t do anything wrong at all, I’m just so angry with myself right now.”

Wiping her eyes Fluttershy nodded in understanding before timidly giving Mark a quick but comforting hug, “It’s ok Mark. One time when I was a model, I got so frustrated I just had to let out a scream, though it didn’t help as much as I hoped.”

Mark looked at her in surprise, he didn’t know she modeled. Then he blushed as images entered his mind of Fluttershy modeling more than just clothing.

‘Stop that!’
‘Sorry, couldn’t help it. And besides, Fluttershy's both beautiful and adorable.’
'Mother of Celestia, I am as bad as Sain!'
'That's still up for debate I think... Now time for some NSFW images starring Flutters.'

Mark vigorously shook his head to clear the images that Brain began popping up, while Fluttershy looking at him in confusion. Crystal on the other hand was holding back her laughter as she felt the kind of 'love' coming from Mark after Fluttershy's statement.

Suddenly, an idea struck the yellow unicorn like an arrow. “Fluttershy, can you try using this staff?”

Fluttershy gave him an unsure look as she glanced between the wounded pegasus and Mark, “But I don’t know how! What if I mess up?!”

“You won’t because you are the kindest and most caring pony I’ve ever met. This staff was made for those with those traits, it’ll work for you.” Mark said, lying about the staff.

“Ok. If you really think I can.” She said with some trepidation before taking the staff in her mouth.

“I don’t think it, I know it.” Mark said encouragingly, he didn’t know if it would really work for her, but it was worth a shot.

Slowly she brought the orb on the end of the staff near Crystal’s side. And thought only of healing the poor pegasus. Nothing happened, not even lights. Then she closed her eyes and remembered Mark saying that he believed in her and as that thought went through her head she felt an odd but not bad feeling of warmth seem to travel from her. She opened her eyes and almost dropped the staff in shock and awe as the orb at the end lit up like a lighthouse and around Crystal's side.

Crystal felt an itching and yet, soothing sensation where her wound was located. Slowly she began to undue the bandages that Twilight had wrapped.

Fluttershy gently placed the staff on the ground, “Um, did I do it right?” She asked the black pegasus.

Crystal’s eyes widened as she removed the final bandage. Where the sword had cut her was a new patch of fur as if she hadn’t been hurt to begin with. “Yes, I think you did!” She said in awestruck disbelief.

Mark ruffled Fluttershy’s mane drawing a light blush on her face, “You did great. Thanks Flutters. I knew I could count on you. And sorry again for snapping at you earlier. Now that she's taken care of, why don't you go help Rainbow and AJ out, they were a bit hurt too.”

Fluttershy looked at Mark in concern, currently he had several bruises where he was choked and hit as well as some dried blood that matted a part of his coat, "What about you? Are you ok?"

"I'm fine." He replied, waving a hoof nonchalantly.

Crystal inspected the yellow unicorn as well. She noticed the same things Fluttershy did, but also the fact that Mark's coat was still a bit pale and that there were almost unnoticeable bags under his eyes from lack of sleep, "You don't look fine. Have her do whatever she did earlier, Mark."

Still being stubborn Mark gave both of them an annoyed look, "I told you, I'm-"

"No more excuses mister. I will not go having one of my friends go around in pain and acting like it's nothing!" Fluttershy said assertively, surprising the tactician and causing him to sit still.

Fluttershy picked up the staff and hovered it over the yellow mare. Once again a bright light surrounded the orb on the staff and then Mark. To the unicorn, it was a nostalgic feeling to be healed by stave magic again. It reminded him of Serra who, while annoying sometimes, always took care of the ones under her care with fervor.

'I wonder how she's doing...'
'Probably mouthing off as usual to whomever's she's serving in Ostia.'
'That poor bastard.'

**********************************************************************************
Hector sneezed. "I better not be getting a damn cold."

"Don't worry Lord Hector! If you do fall ill, I'm here to nurse you back to health." Serra said, as she rounded the corner of the hallway and overheard the young ostian lord. "And then maybe you'll overcome that shyness and admit your true feelings of affection for me." She added dreamily.

Hector pinched the bridge of his nose. He'd show his feelings alright, but they wouldn't be ones of affection.

**********************************************************************************

'Yah. That poor bastard.'

"Mark are you ok? Oh, I must have done something wrong! I hope I didn't accidentally do something to his brain! Oh this isn't good, this isn't-" Mark placed his hoof over Fluttershy's mouth to quiet the worried mare.

"Fluttershy, I'm fine. I'm just thinking about someone, so stop worrying." Mark said, hiding a smile. It felt good knowing he had a friend like her, even if she worried over nothing sometimes.

The yellow pegasus blushed lightly, "I'm sorry. You had a blank stare for awhile after I healed you, so I had thought I did something wrong."

"Really? It was so hard to tell." Crystal said sarcastically.

Fluttershy nodded, "It's true."

Crystal facehoofed at Fluttershy's naivete.

"Thank you for worrying over me and healing me Fluttershy. I appreciate it." Mark said, drawing a smile from the pegasus. Mark looked over to Crystal who seemed to be reluctant to thank her healer.

Receiving a nudge and several eye motions from Mark, Crystal relented, "I'd like to thank you as well." She said, making Fluttershy's smile widen and her confidence grow.

"Hey Fluttershy, now that we're taken care of, we were gonna head back to my apartment. Do you think you could go find Rainbow Dash and Applejack? They were also hurt a bit earlier and I think you could really help."

"Won't Twilight get mad that I took her staff?" She asked.

Mark raised an eyebrow, "Fluttershy, knowing her, she'll probably be ecstatic to see it's magic in action. Go ahead. If she even remotely gets mad, which she won't, I'll take the consequences."

"Oh I couldn't-"

Mark raised his voice to more of a commanding tone, "Fluttershy!"

The pegasus "eeeped" as she ran out the door carrying the staff in her mouth.

'I have an idea for a project.'
'Raising Fluttershy's confidence?'
'Oh yah.'

Turning to Crystal, Mark offered his hoof to assist her in standing, "Are you ready to go back? I want to leave before Twilight scolds me for something as usual and I'm thinking it's time for-"

*******************************************************************************************

“-Belated lunch.” He said as two plates, each with some sliced and grilled apples coated in honey, as well as two glasses of milk were laid onto the small table in Mark's apartment.

“Smells good.” Crystal replied absently as she stared at the plate lost in thought.

Mark set the plates carefully in front of them and started munching on an apple, looking at his friend in worry. “Crystal...Aren’t you hungry?”

She gave a dry chuckle, though her hunger for love was satiated earlier, she still needed to gather excess for power, “You have no idea. Thank you Mark.” She said before taking a small nibble of the apple before eating it wholly.

‘I somehow get the feeling that it isn’t apples she’s hungry for.’
‘Well, unfortunately I didn’t have any of the mangos she loves so much.’
‘How do you know she even still likes mangoes?’
‘I don’t but that was her favorite fruit years ago and I’d like to think she still likes them.’

Finishing an apple slice he wiped some honey off his mouth, “Crystal. What’s on your mind?”

“I’m just thinking.” She said simply, taking another bite of her food.

Mark wouldn't take just that for an answer. “About?”

“Things.”

'So she's gonna be like that huh?'

“Like?”

Crystal flashed annoyed look, “Are you really going to do this?”

‘Her defenses are failing!’

Mark smirked, he was getting somewhere, “Are you going to answer my question?”

“No.” Crystal huffed in irritation.

“Did you know if you don’t answer me I’ll just keep asking questions?”

“This isn’t an improv game.”

“Don’t you wish it was?” Mark said with a mischievous gleam in his eye.

Now she was glaring at him, “If I tell you will you shut up?”

“What do you think?”

Crystal let out an defeated sigh. She had forgotten how persistent he could be when he wanted.

‘Works every time.’
‘Except that time Luna threw one her Crystal Hoof-Slipper-Things at you to make you stop.’
‘Then I took it and we had a fun game of tag.’
‘She really thought you were going to sell it!’
‘Best part was when she got the lunar guards to try to help catch me.’

He snapped out of his thoughts when he saw Crystal was about to speak again, “Mark I can’t tell you why, but those changelings were after me...” She said sounding both angry and ashamed.

“That’s.....distressing.” He said trying to sound like he didn’t already suspect it.

‘And replaces one question with another.’
'Such as the why.'
'Which she obviously won't tell me yet.'

Knowingly, he continued, “But that’s not what your thinking about, is it?”

She frowned, averting eye contact. It seemed like history was about to repeat itself and this time she had nobody to go back to when it did. “No. Mark I-”

“You're leaving again aren’t you?” Mark asked in an emotionless tone.

She took a deep breath, she wouldn't allow this to break her again, she had a duty to fulfill, “ I have no other choice. I have to meet... some friends, and nothing you say or do can stop me.”

Now it was Mark’s turn to sigh, “I never said I was going to stop you.”

“Look Mark, I know that- Wait, what?” Crystal exclaimed, dumbfounded at his answer.

Mark looked at her evenly, “I said I’m not stopping you. You’ve always been your own mare, able to make decisions on your own and doing so. I want to know some things, but I know you’ll tell me when your ready.”

‘Or have no choice.’
'I'll only drive her into a corner for answers if I have to.'

“That being said, where are you going?” Mark asked closing his eyes as he began to think.

Crystal recovered from her surprise, but couldn't help but feel that he was up to something. “To an area near the Silverbeak Forest.”


Mark creased his eyebrows, he heard that there was some friction recently with the griffins and knew that the forest acted as the border. Who are these 'friends' she's meeting? Why is she meeting them? 'Why don't you just ask?' “That’s...far. Isn’t it going to be really dangerous with almost no supplies, and changelings after you?”

“You have no idea and I don’t have a choice.” She replied, her voice cracking slightly as she was reminded just how impossible her task was in reality. But it was still something she needed to do. Her only chance, no matter how slim it was.

‘So basically, she’s gotten herself into some kind of situation.’
‘And is being too prideful to admit she needs help.’
‘Well, you did say you were bored...’

Mark gave a coy grin taking another bite of apple slice, “Actually, I kinda do have an idea. Which is why I’m going with you.”

It took several seconds for Crystal to process what she just heard, “WHAT?!”

Mark chuckled, “You heard me. I can’t and won’t stop you, but the same can be said about me.”

Crystal however wasn’t amused at all by his tone, and growled, “You insufferable-”

“And if I said I may have a way to get you to your destination that much faster. You'd be an idiot not to take it.” Mark interrupted.

Crystal paused, giving Mark an incredulous look, There was no way he could do something like that. It was too far away and he'd need a large amount of power to accurately and safely teleport both of them there with a spell. Still, what if he did have a way? “.......I’m listening.” She said slowly.

Mark picked up his plate of apple slices and hoped this would work, “Hey Discord, want the rest of my apple slices?”

Popping into existence, Discord eagerly took the plate. “Well don’t mind if I do.” He said poking five of the slices on the tips of his talons before devouring one. “Oh, these are good!”

“Thank you.” Mark said, moving over and closing Crystal’s jaw which had dropped. “Discord this is my old friend Crystal. Crystal, Discord, spirit of chaos, disharmony and master of sock puppets.”

Discord looked at Crystal carefully and raised an eyebrow before shaking Crystal’s unwilling hoof, “You have an interesting choice in friends.”

Mark snorted, “Don’t need to remind me. You’re here after all.” He said, using his hoof to poke the draconequus in the chest.

“That I am. Did you get a mane cut? Because that is a very good look for you.” The draconequus retorted at Mark's new 'look' and grinning triumphantly when Mark pouted in response.

“I’d rather not talk about it. But there’s a reason I called you here.” He said flatly.

Discord rubbed his chin and beard, “Not for free food?”, he asked taking another bite of the apple slice. Of course everyone wanted something from him. Whether it was Celly wanting him to get out of her throne room, or the guards wanting him to stop turning the floor frictionless.

“Well that, and I need to ask a favor. It has to do with that chaos in the air or whatever you meant before.” Mark said.

This intrigued the draconequus. No one but Fluttershy ever asked for any favors from him. “Oh does it now? Well, I may want a favor in the future too. Did you think about that?”

Mark took mock offense, “Of course I did! I’m not one to leave a debt unpaid. Especially for a friend.”

‘Then what about that 15 bits you still owe me!’

Discord pretended to take it under critical consideration before shrugging, “What did you need? I hope it’s not something bland.”

“Well, my friend and I,” Mark said, glancing at Crystal and putting extra emphasis on the I, “need to get somewhere far away fast. Do you think you can help with that?”

Discord snapped his talon and out of nowhere sprung several lawn chairs with accompanying sunglasses for the three in the apartment. “Taking a vacation to Hay-waii for some alone time?" He said, wiggling his eyebrows with a silly grin.

“I wish. Actually it’s more proactive and dangerous.” Mark snorted, raising the sunglasses off his eyes and resting them on his forehead. "Maybe next time though."

As fun and chaotic as 'dangerous' sounded, Discord couldn't help but feel some worry for his new friend, “Where are you going?”

“Near the Silverbeak Forest, will you help?” Mark replied, getting straight to the point.

"Hmmm..." Discord tapped one of his claws in thought. He definitely could feel the chaos growing stronger, but it wasn't the kind of chaos he liked either. If Mark thought he could do something about he might as well give it a shot. "When do you want to leave?"

“Give me an hour to prepare.” Mark said turning away about to head to his room. Immediately he thought of something and turned back to the snacking draconequus. “I have one more thing to ask and this is the most important.”

Both Crystal and Discord raised an eyebrow, didn't he already cover just about everything necessary, “And what’s that?”

“Well don't you think it might be a tad...cliche of you to just instantly teleport us there?” Mark asked with a devious grin.

Discord locked eyes with Mark for a moment before both started chuckling wickedly.

Crystal gulped as she looked between the two, suddenly worried for her safety.

********************************************************************************************

Armored Bastion strapped his final piece of armor on. It felt good to be clean and back in his golden royal guard armor. Sure, he could have gotten a custom set given his rank like Shining Armor, but he preferred staying inconspicuous of who he really was in public. Except for his, like some of the other guard’s armors, wasn’t enchanted to turn his fur white, or eyes blue.

Hearing the door to his office creak open he turned his head to the sight of one of the newer recruits nervously peaking his head in before entering fully and giving a clumsy salute, “Umm, sir. I was told by the princess that she wanted to inform you of an event that occured in Ponyville and to bring a sword before you leave.”

Bastion let out a sigh, before walking over and moving the recruit's hoof higher and into a proper salute. Whatever happened, Mark was definitely involved somehow. “Alright. Take me to where the princess is currently. On the way let me make sure you at least know how to march properly too.”

Author's Note:

Hey there it's Icebraker again. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and continue to support me through ratings, reviews, and criticisms (constructive ones). For this chapter I'd like to thank Lunarguard12 for the assistance on the action scene.

In terms of FE classes, these were the match ups I was thinking for the characters:

Marked Defiance/Deviance = Lvl.7 Tactician
Rainbow Dash = Lvl.3 Pegasus Knight
Applejack = Lvl.3 Fighter
Big Macintosh = Lvl.4 Fighter
'Crystal Orchid' = Lvl.3 Lord
Fluttershy = Lvl.1 Cleric

Non-specified Changelings = Lvl.3 Soldiers
Vrynne = Lvl.6 Mercenary
Merse = Lvl.5 Cavelier
Sledge = Lvl.5 Fighter
Brix = Lvl.4 Myrmidon
Mimzy = Lvl.1 Recruit

As I add the characters into a fight, I'll also show you their given classes too. So expect Twilight and the rest in later chapters.

PreviousChapters Next