• Published 11th Jun 2013
  • 779 Views, 19 Comments

My little Dayz: Zombies Aren't Magic - Colgate1211



Dayz - MLP crossover. Simple enough, right? Bloody, gory, mindless, fun killings!

  • ...
3
 19
 779

Big Risk, Big Reward

The early morning air was cool and crisp. A light breeze whistled its way through the tree, the leaves rustling overhead. Obsidian soaked it all in. His calm, quiet, peaceful little patch of the world. For now, at least. He could still see the moon in the sky, and he took it in for the better part of who-knows-how long.

"You don't get much quiet time, do you?" A soft voice asked openly. Obsidian snapped back to Earth again, and looked over to Colgate.

"Not as often as I'd like, no." he said, stretching his legs. "How long until we should pack up and head out?" he asked, rolling up the bedroll he had slept in. Colgate took her map out, laying it neatly on the ground. Obsidian took another inventory of his backpack.
M9? Check.
AKM? Check.
Mags for both? Yep.
Food, water? Yes and yes.
Matches, hunting knife.... his mental list went on.

"Okay, I say that we could be there by midday of we start moving in the next ten minutes or so. I'm ready when you are." She said, tossing her backpack over a shoulder. Obsidian got his backpack on tight, holstered his M9 and they set off on their way.

"You know you way around Chernarus at all?" She asked him.

"Not as well as my town back in Amareica, but i'm learning my way. How about you?"

"Not really... at all..." She said, giving a chuckle. "If I didn't know how to read a map, I would have been lost and killed years ago."

"How long have you been our on your own?"

"Well... When it all started, I stayed in one of the big cities. Cherno, Elektra, you know. But about a year ago, I thought it'd be interesting to go and try to survive a night outside of the city. After that got kind of boring, I decided to try a couple nights. eventually it grew into just... packing up and leaving. Haven't been back since I left that day." She said, taking the map out again. "Yeah, i'm still learning the land. Survival isn't the issue, really." She explained. The sun was just breaking over the horizon, a vibrant yet soothing orange. Obsidian heard the birds chirping around them: a sign that no danger was near. Assuring as it was, the fear you get when they all fly away is something he never got used to.

"Why do you always have your rifle in your pack, the M9 isn't as powerful?" She asked, glancing down at his holster. Obsidian smiled, how naive she was.

"In the right hooves, any weapon is as powerful as the next. I can kill just as easily with this little thing as I can with my AK. It's all in how you use it." he explained. Any conversation made the trip seem shorter, so any questions were like blessings. When the conversation ended, there was an uneasy silence upon them.

"The birds aren't chirping anymore..." Obsidian said quietly. He started scanning everything: the tree line, the horizon, behind them.

"Yeah, so?" Colgate asked, confusedly.

"If the birds have flown off, then someone or something is nearby that looks hostile to them. Could be a bandit, running through a forest, could be a zed. Can't be too safe, so I say we head into forest a bit, we're kind of exposed out here." he explained, making a dart for the forest off to their left. Colgate followed suit without hesitation.

When they got a ways into the forest, Obsidian scanned around them continuously, looking for any movement whatsoever. His M9 was drawn and ready.

"If you see any movement, tell me, alright? We're gonna keep a slow pace towards the town, but keep your head on a swivel." he said, with a commanding attitude.

"Gotcha." Colgate said obediently. The quiet was nerve-racking. Obsidian knew that SOMETHING caused those birds to fly off. Could be a friendly survivor, but the chances of a bandit or a zombie were much higher to genuinely consider that. Best option was to consider everything alive out here as hostile until you are 100 percent sure and then some. Out of the silence, something was happening. There was a growing rumble, as if...

"Colgate! Eyes on the road!" Obsidian ordered, turning to the street that ran along the coast. The rumbling was getting louder now, and it seemed to falter at random intervals. "We got a truck of some sort coming along." He explained.

"Should we raid it?" Colgate asked impatiently. Obsidian was taken aback by her willingness and want to launch an assault like this.

"You in a hurry to get pumped with lead?" he asked her sarcastically. "We'd be mowed down."

"Yeah, if we stand in the middle of the road, sure. Not if we surprise them with a full-auto assault." She explained. "I'll go down to the boulder over there, by the road. You'll take cover behind the bush that way. We'll both open fire when they're stuck in the crossfire of our guns." Her plan was well-formulated, Obsidian thought. 'Worst case scenario, we both get erased in a hail of bullets. If it works, who knows what kind of loot we'd find?' he asked himself in his head.

"So, it's getting closer, you know, If we're going to do this, we need to move. Now." She said in a rush. Obsidian gave her a nod, and darted for the wall of shrubbery. Colgate took her position behind the boulder. Obsidian took his AKM out, and trained it on the segment of road between their positions. Adrenaline started to flow faster and faster, and time crawled slower and slower. Any second now....

WHOOSH! The truck rode past Obsidian. In one perfectly synchronized move, both Colgate and Obsidian turned their guns to the truck, and unleashed a spray of lead into their target. The driver was killed instantly, a mix of shattered glass and bullets flying into his face. Any passengers in the rear compartment were annihilated by the storm of fire the pair was laying down. The truck turned into Swiss cheese; it was absolutely shredded to bits. The engine smoked, cloaking the truck in a thick screen, and the firing died down.

"Think we got 'em?" Obsidian shouted to Colgate with a smile. He looked at the truck, which was utterly demolished, The smoke was clearing and, no surprise to either of them, there was no movement. The canvas cover on the back mocked a tattered banner, torn and covered with holes, waving lightly in the wind.

"Hay yeah! That was AWE-some!" She yelled back, pumping a hoof in the air. "Let's go see what we can salvage!" She said, and they headed towards the truck. Obsidian, always the cautious one, had his M9 at the ready, just in case some lucky bastard lived through that onslaught. No signs of life. It was only when they got closer that they were able to see the exact extent of the havoc they wreaked.

The driver's compartment was a mix of buckets of blood, spattered all across the dashboard, steats, rear window, and shattered glass that glistened red with freshly spilled blood. The passenger compartment was littered with bodies who's owners twisted and turned in a panicked attempt at escape. They wound up falling in a wave of crimson blood into strange positions and angles, to rest. It reeked strongly of death, blood, and bullets. The blood was still giving off light wisps of steam it was so fresh.

"Well, we aren't going to get to those boxes with all the bodies in here..." Obsidian sighed, and reached to drag one of the corpses out of the back. That's when it grabbed him by the throat, and rolled him out of the back of the truck.

"You thought you had me, huh? Thought you shredded me up, HUH!?" The Bandit yelled in his face. Obsidian couldn't feel anything above his neck, where the Bandit was chocking him. He tried to wheeze out a sentence, but it was too late. KA-KA-KOW Shots rang out, and Obsidian was hit with a spray of warm liquid on his face. The Bandit's limp body fell on top of his, motionless. Colgate walked over, and kicked him off Obsidian, who sat up and breathed again, after what felt to him like and eternity.

"You good?" Colgate asked him, kneeling in front of him. She stroked his mane, made sure he didn't hit his head too hard when he was pushed out of the truck.

"Yeah, I'm... I'm good I think... He scared the crap outta me, but I'm fine." He said, looking over at the Bandit's body. He gave a chuckle, getting up and dusting himself off.

"Well, then. Let's make sure they're all actually dead, and get to the loot." He said, reaching in for another body, slower this time.

"BOO!" Somepony screamed, and Obsidian jumped back, his pistol aimed at the truck. Nothing. Colgate rolled over, laughing herself silly.

"You didn't..." Obsidian started.

"Haha! Yeah, I did... Oh, ooohhhh.... Okay, sorry, I couldn't help it." She said, still cackling between words.

"I'm going to shoot you one day..." he told her jokingly. "Can we actually get to the loot now?"

There were four very large boxes the moved out of the truck and into the camp they had set up for the day. Speculation was abound on what could be in them, of course. But the time had come, and the first box rustled open. The anticipation was palpable, and they finally looked inside to find....




"What, the, buck?" They both asked themselves.