• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,644 Views, 52 Comments

Battle Ready - D101 Reviews



Battle Ready is a unicorn from a strange land, fleeing to Equestria to escape some unknown tragedy and seeking a better life. His past however, doesn't quite want to leave him alone. (Anthro ponies)

  • ...
3
 52
 1,644

Chapter Nineteen: The Crash Course

Chapter Nineteen: The Crash Course

The girls hadn't known what to expect of Battle's father. They knew that at some point he had commanded Warhorse's armies much the same as Battle did now. The general idea was that he would be a gritty, battle hardened warrior. This proved not to be the case.

Veteran Centurion was as tall as his son, but was slighter. His eyes twinkled with a mischievous air that one might see in Dash's eyes when she set up a prank. His fur was the same shade of dark grey as his son's and it was clear where he and his sister got their navy blue eyes from. But his mane was long and silvery, and was tied back into a long pony tail. His Cutie Mark, though slightly hidden by his stubble, was that of a shield, emblazoned with a curved sword, shaped so that it looked like a 'C'. The crown he wore was nowhere near as resplendent of elegant as the ones worn by the Princesses of Equestria. Just a simple laurel wreath made of gold.

He, Battle, Tactical and the girls were currently in one of the council chambers of Warhorse. Tactical was fuming, standing half in the shadows of one dark corning, scowling at the back of her brother's head. Battle himself stood close to the roaring fireplace, eyes fixed onto the leaping flames. Veteran was sat in a plush armchair, hand on his whiskery beard as he read the letter from Celestia. The five mares from Equestria were gathered in a small ground around a table, waiting in silence.

Eventually Veteran spoke.

"Grave tiding's indeed you bring to us my son," he said, his voice gravelly.

"I wish I could come with better news father," Battle replied softly.

"Not your fault my child," Veteran assured, pushing himself to his feet, wincing at the pain in his hip.

"Not his fault?" cried Tactical. "Of course it's his fault! Not only did he lose ten thousand warriors the last time he fought Wrath, but he didn't even put him to rest for two years!"

"Enough!" roared Veteran, his eyes glaring daggers at his daughter. "You are lucky to even be here Tactical, so you will hold your tongue unless you are spoken to."

Tactical shrank back into the brickwork behind her, cowering under the gaze her father looked at her with. Veteran sighed and limped over to Battle.

"You believe it is, necessary to accept the help of Equestria in this campaign?"

"Necessary?" Battle repeated slowly. "No, perhaps not necessary, but appropriate. Whether we, or they, like it, they have been involved in this conflict now. We may as well offer our assistance if they are willing to offer theirs."

"Spoken like a true Warhorse," Veteran said, slapping his son on the shoulder. "I feel better already having my Commander back."

Battle smiled slightly at this. Veteran turned to Tactical.

"Leave us," he said. Tactical gave a halfhearted salute and left, slamming the door behind her. Veteran turned to the five girls and smiled.

"I must thank you young ladies for the services you've done for my empire," he said smiling. the girls looked at each other, confused.

"Beg pardon your majesty," Applejack said softly. "But, we didn't do anything."

"On the contrary," Veteran replied, "I think that you're charming input on my son was just what he needed. For that I must thank you. It was an... unpleasant sight to see one once so full of life become so miserable."

Battle gave an embarrassed smile.

"Your devotion to your friend and Princess is admirable as well," Veteran said, lowering himself into his chair again, wincing at the pain. "It is touching."

"Well, thank you your majesty," Dash said, still as confused as the rest of them. Veteran looked at them, before pulling out a pair of wire rimmed spectacles and putting them on his nose.

"You bear the Elements of Harmony I see," he stated. "It appears I was correct in allowing you five to stay. The Elements are powerful magical artifacts to wield if used correctly."

"They didn't seem effective against Wrath," Dash grumbled.

"Do not confuse the power of the Elements with your own abilities," Veteran corrected. "You embody the Elements true, and from what Celestia has told me through our correspondence, they are indeed powerful when they are used together. But you seem to be unaware of their true potential as a powerful asset that may aid your friend."

"You seem to know a lot about the Elements of Harmony," Rarity said. Veteran chuckled.

"I make it a point to know as much as I can about magic," he said. "I am not, as you can see, the brawler my son is. I have brittle bones you see? But, I was Commander for a good part of my life. A Warhorse has more in him than just his fighting talents. A pegasus is fast. An earth pony is strong. A unicorn, uses his magic. And this is what I did. I took my not inconsiderable magical prowess, and used it to my advantage. So I learnt as much as I could on the subject, even going as far as to study the mythical Elements of Harmony. Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity and Loyalty. And then, a few years ago, Celestia rights to me and tells me of the sixths Element. Magic. So fitting don't you think?"

"Father, you're rambling," Battle interjected.

"Oh, yes," Veteran blushed. "Well you see the point is, I know much about the Elements of Harmony, because I have access to books that have long been lost to Equestrian literature." He leaned in close. "You wish to help your friend?"

Battle straightened up and looked over his shoulder at his father.

"More than anything," Dash replied quickly. The other girls nodded their agreement.

"I have promised to keep them safe father," Battle said swiftly. "I can't let them leave Legion."

"I believe this is their choice," Veteran said firmly but kindly. He turned back to the girls. "If you are willing, I am certain we can allow you a chance to help. We may have need for you in the fight against Wrath."

"You mean on the battlefield?" Applejack asked.

"If that is what you wish."

The girls looks at each other.

"Well I've never swung a sword in my life," Applejack said. "But if it's for Twilight, I'll do it."

"I'm in," Dash smiled, though she looked queasy.

One by one, the girls agreed. Veteran turned to Battle. He sighed.

"The troops will be ready and waiting to leave in about a week," Battle said dejectedly. "I can organize a crash course in Warhorse military procedure for the five of you as well as lecture from my father on the Elements of Harmony if you so wish." He turned to face them. "You're in the Warhorse Army now. Get ready for things to get a hell of a lot tougher."