• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,642 Views, 52 Comments

Battle Ready - D101 Reviews



Battle Ready is a unicorn from a strange land, fleeing to Equestria to escape some unknown tragedy and seeking a better life. His past however, doesn't quite want to leave him alone. (Anthro ponies)

  • ...
3
 52
 1,642

Chapter Twenty Two: Best Laid Plans of Prince and General...

Chapter Twenty Two: Best Laid Plans of Prince and General...

The mountain ranges that marked the Northern borders of the Warhorse empire were capped with freezing snow and sheets of ice. It was a virtually a wall of frozen stone that rose forever to the skies, with no conceivable way to climb its craggy peaks. Aside from one.

Cracked Peak was, as its name suggested, a great mountain that had been split down the center, right to the slopes at its base. It was the fastest way to get from Warhorse to the strange lands beyond. There had been some expeditions in the spirit of exploration to those lands in the past, but whatever they found and whatever they had recorded was lost to time. Battle had considered sending another expedition out here at some point, but then Wrath had appeared and... he had lost his appetite for adventure.

Night was falling fast by the time they reached Cracked Peak. Battle looked at the sky as he marched through the snow, his navy blue eyes scanning for something. When he appeared not to find what he was looking for he turned to the generals, marching backwards through the snow.

"We set up camp in the gorge," Battle said. "Spread word among the troops."

"Sir!" they chorused and went to their respective platoons. Shining stepped next to Battle as they entered the gorge, relieved to be out of the snow but couldn't help voicing his concern.

"Are you sure we should be resting right now?" Shining asked.

"You wanan be walking in a blizzard at night?" Battle asked, indicating the harsh weather that was moving in on the other side of the gorge. "Besides, if we set up camp on the other side, we're in Windigo territory. This way we only have to worry about being attacked from one direction."

"And what about that way?" Shining asked. Battle looked at him with a withering look.

"You really think some twonk is going to attack an army thirteen-thousand strong by themselves in the middle of the night?"

"Point taken."

Battle smiled, a camp site already being set up. Warhorse ponies were fast like that. Not to say that the Equestrian army wasn't as fast. It was just Warhorse trained themselves to the peak of physical and magical prowess in every condition imaginable. The Equestrian army, though disciplined, was not used to the harsh, winters conditions they now stood in.

A command tent was quickly erected and Battle swept inside, furnishings already being brought in, the snow already melting at his feet. A table was summoned from nowhere and upon it a map was stretched out over it. Battle rolled his neck as Shining followed him. He knew that stance. Battle had just gone into war-mode.

"How far are we from the ice fields?" Battle asked.

"About another day's marching distance if we keep this speed up," Arson said.

"Provided we aren't attacked of course," Sky added.

"Well I'm sure we won't have anything to worry about from a few rogue Windigos," Battle muttered. "Not with Juggernaut."

The general cracked his knuckles menacingly.

"Um no offense," Shining said, feeling he had to drop his two-bits. "But I don't think you can hurt a spiritual creature with fists."

"Of course not," Arson smiled. "That's be stupid." His entire body was wreathed in golden flames. "We're gonna burn the fuckers," he snarled, the flames glancing off of his manic eyes and wild smile.

"Arson, not in here," Battle admonished softly. The unicorn extinguished his fires and looked disappointed.

"As you wish sir," Arson grumbled.

"Sir, may I ask what the battle plan is for dealing with Wrath and rescuing Miss Twilight Sparkle?" asked Sky.

"Princess," Battle and Shining corrected simultaneously.

Shining then looked at Battle. "A plan? Really? Surely it should be: kill Wrath, find Twilight, go home?"

"Not as simple as that Shining," Battle muttered.

"Not as simple?"

"There is an entire army at Wrath's disposal out there," Battle said. "The army he was buried with."

"I thought you said that Wrath abandoned his armies?" Shining said, confused.

"Wrath made a new one," Battle shrugged. "You remember those creatures in Ponyville? They were his army. And they are made by his hand. He'll keep making more of them until he's done."

"You mean beaten?"

Battle barked a laugh. "Until he's done playing with us," Battle said smiling bitterly. He turned to the map.

"Last I remember the Gates of Wrath were here," Battle said, pointing to a space on the map. Arson marked the point where Battle touched. "Now if things play out the way I think they will, and they shall, then the first wave of attacks will be Wrath's armies of creatures." He hung his head. "That's what got us the first time..."

"How many are we talking sir?" Juggernaut asked.

"It could be anything from the hundreds to the thousands... tens of thousands even..." Battle muttered. He looked at Sky. "However none of them have the ability of flight. This I am certain."

"Understood loud and clear sir," Sky said, a vicious smile on her face. "Arial forces to box them in, keep 'em pinned-"

"-And then the heavy infantry comes in to bring some pain," growled Juggernaut, punching his hands together, "Makin' a right royal mess before-"

"-The unicorn forces move in to finish them off," Arson finished. "A bold plan, if predictable."

"At this point Wrath doesn't care about predictable," Battle agreed.

"You mentioned the first stage of battle would be this army of monsters?" Shining said. "What's stage two?"

"The beast," Battle muttered. "Wrath's true, monstrous form will be unleashed for us to fight."

"And we'll give it to him," growled Juggernaut.

"Yes, but not here," Battle said. He tapped the Gate's of Wrath. "There is where we make our battle with our enemy."

"Sir?" Arson asked.

"Wrath wants to fight me," Battle said. "The mistake I made last time was leaving his spirit to fester in that tomb, where it could recuperate. This time, I'm going in to finish the job. I'm going to end this once and for all... alone..."

There was silence.

"Like hay you will," Shining cried, slapping Battle's shoulder. "My little sister's in there. I'm going with you no matter what you say!"

"With all do respect sir," Sky said, smirking, "But you're mad if you think we're going to miss out on this."

"Wrath's gettin' a taste of ol' Juggernaut whether you like it or not," Juggernaut snorted.

"I feel I have to say this if everypony else is," Arson said. "But, buck that sir."

Battle smiled and sighed.

"Should've known you wouldn't let me go it alone." Battle chuckled.

"You know Twily's friends'll want in on this right?" Shining asked.

"It's be hard not to," Battle smiled. He looked at his generals. "Alright then you crazy bastards. We're in this together and there's no getting out of it. When Wrath makes his move, we sneak around his flank, and hit him where it hurts." He smiled evilly. "Get Merciless," he ordered. "That crazy S.O.B. is just what we need for this kind of mad scheme."

"Sir!" cried the generals snapping to attention. Battle turned around to Shining.

"Get a team of nine of your best ready," Battle said. "If you're coming in, it's only fitting we go on an even playing field."

"You only have four?" Shining said. Battle smiled. "Oh yeah..."


Rarity had to fight not to just lay down on her bedroll in her armor and fall asleep. Granted she felt she was supposed to, and the armor was... impressive. It was similar in design to Battle's only the plating was not as far apart. The color scheme was different too, being a dark shade of purple inlaid with black. Over either of her ribs were knife belts, each holding ten, sharp throwing knives. Strapped to her hip was a short but elegant dagger. Even her helmet allowed her hair to escape in a luscious ponytail. Granted she was not wearing that now of course. She had stripped that off as soon as she was able, relieved to give her horn some breathing room.

"Boy howdy that was a long trek," Applejack said, collapsing onto her bedroll opposite Rarity. The unicorn felt sorry for the earth pony. After all Rarity's armor may have been the heaviest thing she had word, but Applejack's was even heavier going by its size. The farm-pony's armor was thicker, bulkier and more constrictive. It was a dull orange in color with greenish inlays, almost like vines. A heavy broad-sword was sheathed at her hip and a large war-hammer strapped across her back. She looked flustered and tired, understandable given the weight she was under.

She had been allowed to wear her stetson over her helmet.

"You look a mess dear," Rarity sighed.

"Yep, Ah reckon Ah do," Applejack agreed, simply accepting Rarity's quip. She lifted one arm and rolled her shoulder. "Ah still can't get over how quiet like this here armor is."

"Yeah yeah it's quiet and its heavy," Dash said, flopping face down on her bedroll. "Let's just get some sleep before we start walking again." Dash's armor was a light blue, with red inlays. Across her body were various knives of different shapes and sizes. Her wings were armored too, in interlocking golden plates, that ended in a pair of vicious looking blades at each wingtip.

"I never thought going on a rescue mission could be so trying," Dash groaned.

"Are you saying you don't want to save Twilight?" Applejack asked playfully. Dash grumbled.

"Come on Dashie get to your feet soldier!" cried an upbeat Pinkie, bouncing around the tent like she wasn't wearing a heavy suit of armor... a bright punk suit of armor with blue inlaid patters. On each hip was a long, hunting knife.

"Pinkie... not in mood," Dash grumbled as Fluttershy sat down delicately on her bedroll. The armor she wore was similar to Rarity's only butter yellow in color with pinkish inlays. Fluttershy's armor was thinner as well however, less restrictive yet somehow not. It was hard to be described. The large cross that had been inlaid into the breast-plate was easier to see, marking her as a medic. A bow and quiver were strung across her back.

"Just how much longer are we going to have to walk?" Rarity asked aloud.

"I just hope we get this over with," Dash sighed sitting up. "Do you know how many looks I keep getting from the Warhorse ponies like 'You shouldn't be here'? It's like the Grand Galloping Gala all over again!"

Rarity shuddered at that particular memory. They stayed quiet for a moment. Even Pinkie stopped bouncing.

"Okay," Applejack sighed breaking the silence. "Ah'll be the first to say it. Ah'm scared."

Rainbow Dash squirmed uncomfortably before she spoke up too: "Yeah... me too."

Applejack raised an eyebrow before chuckling slightly. "Rainbow Dash? Scared? Now Ah know we're in trouble."

Dash smiled lightly. "Yeah... I'm normally not one to admit it... but that thing... whatever Wrath is... it's got me shaking in my horseshoes."

"It is big and... scary," Fluttershy whispered. Pinkie said nothing, her smile strained slightly.

Rarity sighed: "Well afraid or not we've put our hoof in it girls. We agreed to this and we can't let Twilight down."

"Whoever said anything about letting Twilight down?" Dash asked.

"Ah'd rather eat my hat than let ol' Twilight go," Applejack snorted.

"Yeah! It doesn't matter that we're scared or antyhing!" Pinkie cried. "We're going through with it no matter what!"

"Yeah!" cried Fluttershy, abnormally loud. She shrank back at the surprised glances from the others. "Oh, I'm sorry. Too loud?"

Sky stepped into the tent looking around.

"Was that Fluttershy?" she asked confused.

"Eeep!"

Sky shrugged her shoulders as Dash got swiftly to her feet.

"What is it ma'am?" Dash asked.

"The Commander wants to see the five of you in his tent ASAP," Sky said.

"About what?" Applejack asked.

"Battle plans," said Sky simply.

The five mares looked at each other before the picked themselves up and walked through the camp to Battle's command tent. The guards outside nodded to them as they approached and stepped aside to allow them to enter.

Battle was leaning over a map, but his eyes did not see it. There was something in his gaze. Something... old. For a moment he looked to be his own grandfather. The girls looked at each other shocked. Battle looked up, the age in his face fading away.

"Glad you all came so quickly," he said.

"Sky said you wanted to talk about battle plans or something?" Dash said.

"Yes," Battle said. "This is a war that shall be fought on three fronts." He looked at them. "I'm only asking you to partake in one."

"And what front would that be?" Rarity asked.

"The final one," Battle said. "After all is said and done the real battle will be fought in Wrath's tomb. There we shall defeat Wrath and rescue Twilight."

"Sweet!" Dash cried. "What's the problem then?"

"I have an army at my disposal," Battle said. "I'm not saying you're inexperienced, but if you feel that you're not up to this..."

He left the statement hanging in the air.

"Anything for Twilight," Dash said simply.

"We're not sitting that rodeo out that's for sure," Applejack agreed.

"All for one and one for all as the saying goes," Rarity chimed.

"For Twilight!" Pinkie cried.

"Um... yay," Fluttershy whimpered.

Battle smiled. "I wouldn't have it any other way."