• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,642 Views, 52 Comments

Battle Ready - D101 Reviews



Battle Ready is a unicorn from a strange land, fleeing to Equestria to escape some unknown tragedy and seeking a better life. His past however, doesn't quite want to leave him alone. (Anthro ponies)

  • ...
3
 52
 1,642

Chapter Seventeen: Warhorse

Chapter Seventeen: Warhorse

"For the last time no!" Battle shouted.

"We're coming whether ya'll like it or not!" Applejack demanded. "Twilight's as much our friend as she is yours."

"And it's because of me Twilight's gone in the first place!" Battle cried. "I'm not plunging anymore of her friends into danger."

"You think we can't handle ourselves?" Dash asked.

"Look I applaud your enthusiasm girls I really do," Battle sighed. "But Dash, you've already been injured, and that was when Wrath simply looked at you. You saw the kind of powers Wrath had. That's just the tip of the iceberg."

"Well from what you've been telling us darling that was his spirit," Rarity said. "If that was his spirit what happened to his body?"

"Wrath has the ability to separate his consciousness, his very soul, from his body," Battle explained. "That's what makes him such a powerful enemy. He can attack on two fronts. On the one hand you have the body, which without Wrath's conscious mind inhabiting it is just a mindless animal. On the other hand, you have his spirit, which is nigh indestructible and has most of Wrath's godly powers."

"A tall order for sure," Rarity said.

"Exactly, and that's the reason you aren't coming!"

"How about we just come as far as Legion? You know, for moral support?" Applejack suggested.

"I think that's a good plan," Fluttershy whispered.

"Yeah! It'd be tones of fun being in a new city for a while!" Pinkie advocated.

Battle screwed up his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I'm not going to here the end of it unless I let you come am I?"

"Nope."

"Of course darling."

"Like we'd miss this?"

"Whee!"

"If it's okay with you that is..."

Battle sighed. "Fine, you can come as far as Legion."

The girls cried out in joy. Battle gave a sly smile. And then you'll wish you'd never came when you have to put up with Tactical for more than a day.


There was no direct way to Warhorse from Canterlot. Battle explained that in order to get to Equestria before he had taken a two month long journey, taking him over mountains and endless flat lands. Upon Rarity's horrified reaction Battle assured them there was a faster way to get there.

By sea.

"We'll take a train to the coastal boarders of Equestria," Battle had explained. "From there there's a small ferry which'll take us across the channel to the town of Century. It's a full days passage and we'll most likely have to sleep on the boat provided its at dock when we get there. From Century, it's another half days train journey before we get to Legion. Once we get there, we go straight to the tower."

That was how they ended up on a boat sailing in the middle of the night. None of the girls had ever traveled via sea before. Dash had taken an instant dislike to it, claiming it was slower than Tank her pet tortoise and that the rocking motions were causing her to feel queasy what with her being cooped up for so long. Fluttershy occupied her time conversing with the creatures of the water as they traveled. Applejack shared Dash's sentiments, wishing to be free of the oppressive atmosphere in the boat. Pinkie... was just pinkie Pie and Rarity studied the strange star formations.

"I simply don't understand it," Rarity muttered. "I mean I expected some change in the stars... of course Twilight would be able to see the more subtly changes but..."

"The stars this far out of Equestria are natural," Battle explained. "Luna's magic doesn't extend out here. The star formations therefore are different. Luna doesn't control where or when they appear."

Rarity stared at the sky. "It certainly is beautiful," she said softly.

"It's wild," Battle shrugged. "I have been to some of the farthest reaches of land you could care to name and just when I think the world can't get any bigger... there it is, on the horizon. A new land... waiting to be discovered."

"And conquered?"

Battle looked at Rarity.

"Military nation Warhorse maybe," Battle said. "Barbarians we are not. We fight, but never for our own desires. We defend countries from invading nations where necessary, reclaim nations from their governments and return power to its people... Warhorse is a peacekeeping nation. Taking for our own wants, taking for sport for amusement... that is the way of The Sins."

"Who helped found the Warhorse Empire," Rarity said slowly.

"They had honor too in the beginning," Battle rebuked. "But where they abandoned their honor, we retain ours. We keep to the ways of old."

"Doesn't that get a bit tedious over time?"

"If you mean have their been uprisings?"

"I suppose."

"Of course. There are always people who believe our power should be used to benefit us rather than others."

"And what do you do when these uprisings occur?"

"We deal with them. They've never even got close to the tower."

"So you'd fight your own people if you had to?"

"If they forget their honor, if they forget what makes them a Warhorse then yes. I would fight my own people if it came to it Rarity. Out of service to the empire."

"Are you suggesting that your empire knows better than its people?"

"It's not a question of believing we know better. You have to understand Rarity, if somepony got a hold of a military force like Warhorse for the wrong reasons it could have disastrous consequences, not just for the empire but for the world. I'm not exaggerating that either."

"Of course not darling."

"So... that answer any misgivings you may have had about my people?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Good."


Century was a wealthy mining town, making a fortune in underwater mines as well as traditional land based mines. As such, Century had many off shore stations where the ocean miners would be lowered into the deeps to search for diamonds, gold or other such valuables. The town itself had cobbled roads instead of the dirt tracks at Ponyville. The buildings were different too, having tiled roofs instead of thatch, and brick work instead of mortar.

The smell of the sea was strong as Battle of the other five made their way though the town to the train station. Battle kept his head low, trying to keep his Cutie Mark as inconspicuous as possible. He did not need to be swarmed by an adoring public at this moment.

Compared to Legion, Century wasn't that impressive. It was like how Ponyville was unimpressive and unassuming compared to Canterlot. But Century had that Warhorse feel to it. Welcoming yet tense. Ready.

Smiths worked on weapons at the grindstone, sparks flying from the blades they sought to craft and improve. Merchants cried the prices of their various wares, of armor and weapons at lower prices than their competitors. In the distance Battle could hear the sound of marching from the local parade ground, the troops preparing for a days training.

How Battle had missed the feel of home.

Battle paused and looked over at a small stand, before handing Dash a palm full of Drachma.

"A newspaper," he said simply. "Legionary Daily if they haven't sold out yet."

"Why do you need a newspaper?" Dash asked. "And why don't you get it?"

"I need to know what's happening," Battle hissed back. "If something happened recently in response to Wrath it may affect how we proceed. And the reason I'm not getting it is because if that mare recognizes me it will cause of commotion, which means we won't get to the station in time, and we'll have to wait even longer to help Twilight."

"Okay geez," Dash sighed walking over to the stand. After a few exchanged lines with the mare, Dash came back, paper in hand with a small handful of coins. Though not all of them Drachmas.

"What're these?" she asked, handing the money and paper to Battle, noting the smaller, silver coins.

"Demi," Battle said simply. "There are ten Demi to a Drachma and ten Centi to a Demi."

He unfolded the paper as they kept moving to the station at the other end of town. By the time they reached the station, Battle was frowning profusely.

"What is it?" Applejack asked.

"Good news, Warhorse is already preparing for a conflict with Wrath," Battle said.

"And the bad news?" Rarity asked, dreading the response.

"Father's put Tactical in charge of the assault," Battle growled, folding the paper up and handing it to Dash to read.

"You mean that mare Twilight had to deal with?" Rarity asked. "Princess Tactical? A.K.A. your sister?"

"Yes," Battle growled.

"Well if she's your sister, what's the trouble?" Applejack asked.

"The trouble is, Tactical has never done a days military service in her life," Battle replied. "She's arrogant, fool hardy and reckless. She embodies everything that a Warhorse should not be. She believes herself too important to be on the field of combat, and instead whined her way into a cushy little position in an office."

"Is it an important position?" Dash asked, nose deep in the paper. Battle released a harsh bark of laughter.

"She's a Junior Assistant Tactical Adviser," Battle replied. "Her opinions on what should happen mean squat."

"Then why's your dad lettin' 'er go?" Applejack asked.

"The armies of Warhorse have always been commanded by the next in line to the throne," Battle explained. "Tactical believes that position should be hers, and that when father abdicates his throne, she should be the one to take his place."

"And you're an argument to the contrary?" Rarity said.

"Older sibling," Battle said, smirking. "I was here first. Add I'm not about to let her ruin this war."

He stepped up to the ticket office and leaned into the window.

"When's the next train for Legion?" he demanded. The young mare sighed and blew a wad of bubblegum, not looking up at Battle as she scanned the time table.

"Next train for Legion leaves in an hour," she said in a nasally drawl.

"Too long, that train's leaving now," Battle replied.

"Look pal, I don't make the rules," she sighed.

"That's funny, because I do," Battle smiled.

The girl looked at him, bored, her eyes flicking lazily over his face. When her eyes came to his Cutie Mark however, her eyes opened wide and her jaw dropped, bubblegum falling out of her mouth.

"Is there a problem, ma'am?" Battle asked.

"N-no sir, I mean, your majesty," she stammered. "Will is be a ticket for one or...?"

"I'll need six tickets," Battle said. "One for myself and my five friends here."

"Yes your highness," she whispered, quickly writing down the appropriate information. Battle dropped a handful of Drachmas onto her desk and scooped up the tickets.

"Keep the change," Battle winked.

"Yes sir, thank you sir," the mare whimpered.

Battle turned and waved the tickets in the air as the walked towards one of the trains.

"Why the sudden rush?" Applejack asked.

"I need to get to Legion ASAP," Battle replied. "If Tactical's promotion has gone public she's almost, for lack of a better term, ready, to go to war."

"And you're going to stop her?" Dash said. "Why?"

"Tactical's an idiot," Battle answered.


Once word had reached the driver of the train that the Prince was on board and wanted to get to Legion as fast as possible, he was very willing to comply. The train rocketed along the tracks at break-neck speed. Battle however was impatient. He knew the kind of damage Tactical could most likely cause. Though her destiny would seem to be to create and design battle strategies, and hell her name ever seemed to suggest that... she wasn't a tactician, she was a map maker for Victoriam's sake.

He tapped his foot repeatedly on the floor, his hands crossed over his chest, a dark scowl on his face. If Tactical did something stupid he was going to kick her head in.

"Boy howdy," Applejack muttered. "I ain't never felt a train go so fast before."

"Never mind the train, just look at the view," Rarity cooed.

The view was indeed impressive. There were deep green slopes that seemed to roll on forever and in the distance, tall mountain ranges, capped with glistening white snow. While Equestria had its fair share of sights to see, none of them came close to the natural beauty of Warhorse.

"It's, so beautiful," Fluttershy whispered.

"Super, super fun!" Pinkie cried.

Battle's eyes widened slightly as he saw something in the distance. He smiled to himself as he got to his feet and joined the girls at the window. He looked out to the dark spire that pierced the sky, visible even from this distance.

"You haven't seen anything yet girls," Battle whispered. "Next stop: Legion."