• Published 26th May 2013
  • 1,641 Views, 52 Comments

Battle Ready - D101 Reviews



Battle Ready is a unicorn from a strange land, fleeing to Equestria to escape some unknown tragedy and seeking a better life. His past however, doesn't quite want to leave him alone. (Anthro ponies)

  • ...
3
 52
 1,641

Chapter Eight: Tactical

Chapter Eight: Tactical

It had been a month since Battle arrived in Ponyville. In that time most of the town had forgotten about his seemingly secret foreign past and had embraced the new pony into their town and lives. As Battle had mentioned he did have a strange knowledge of medicine that resulted in the pony becoming an assistant at the Ponyville hospital. He had a bizarre way of treating some of the more obscure and less well known diseases and injuries that regular Ponyville doctors were uncertain about and had previously had to consult the zebra Zecora about how to treat them. Battle had even become good friends with the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, the first six mares he had ever really met in Equestria.

It seemed everything was fine in Ponyville.

...

Or almost fine.

Nopony talked about it. Nopony mentioned it. Everypony was terrified of it though. A serious of random and violent attacks had been carried out on citizens of Ponyville. The authorities believed them to be the work of the same individual or group as they each had the same modus operandi. The ponies attacked had been in isolated parts of Ponyville, alone at night, with some kind of small blade. Thankfully nopony had been seriously hurt as each account stated that a mysterious savior had appeared before things could become serious, though neither the attacker or savior had been identified. Even so everypony was on edge.

Especially Battle Ready.

Not only did he seem increasingly worried about the attacks going around Ponyville, but he looked worse and worse each time a pony saw him. There were dark circles under his eyes and heavy bags too. His eyes themselves were blotchy and bloodshot and his mane often seemed tousled and under-cared for, something Rarity often commented on. It reminded Twilight of when Applejack had attempted to complete a whole apple-bucking season without any help whatsoever. Like he was slowly being run-down into the ground. It may have been the late shifts he pulled at the hospital, or the surprisingly early time at which he started his days.

Whatever it was, Battle looked like he was running low on batteries.

That didn't stop him however from enjoying a day with friends.


"Sarsaparilla?"

"Check."

"Cupcakes?"

"Check."

"Anti-Pinkie systems?"

"Check... if there can be such a thing," Spike added quietly, dropping the scroll he had been writing on to the floor. "Man I can't believe Twilight made a checklist for all the stuff you have to bring to the picnic."

"Me neither," Battle said, eyeing the picnic basket. "Is she always this picky about organisation?"

"Yeah," Spike sighed. "Even before she was a princess."

"Damn that girl needs to relax," Battle chuckled to himself.

"Tell me about it," Spike said as Battle picked up the basket.

"I thought I just did," Battle smirked, before frowning. "You know I get the feeling Twilight'd vaporize us on the spot is she caught us discussing her like this."

"Oh yeah," Spike said smiling. " Better make the most of it while we can though right? Did I tell you she once lifted an Ursa Minor from Ponyville back to the Everfree Forest?"

"Twice. Shall we move out then?"

"But, what about Twilight?" Spike protested.

"She said for us to leave when ready even if she wasn't back," Battle reminded. "Besides she knows where we're meeting up, she'll catch up when she gets back."

"And if she's mad at us for leaving her behind?"

"Then I'll take the blame... and the wrath."

"Gutsy move," Spike said as Battle opened the door.

"Believe me Spike I have felt far worse treatments than Twilight," Battle smiled as the two left the library. Spike laughed as Battle closed the door behind them. Battle's smile receded slightly, as he locked the library door. "I wasn't kidding," he murmured quietly.

"You say something?" Spike asked.

"Nothing," Battle said quickly. "Let's go. Wouldn't want to keep Rarity waiting would we?"

Spike blushed as he and Battle set off to the Ponyville park.


"So when did Battle say he an' Spike were gettin' here?" Applejack asked the group at large taking a bite of an apple as she finished.

"You never know with Battle," Dash asked.

"Like how you didn't know he was gonna whoop ya'll at cider drinking," Applejack smirked.

Dash bristled, before muttering something about stallions. They were sat under the shade of a large oak tree on top of a hill. A large red and white checkered blanket covered the ground, two wicker baskets on the ground in the center. Rarity lay on a sunbed she had brought and set up just outside of the shade, her own personal selection of foods and drinks besides her in a stylish white basket. Dash was lounging on one of the lower branches of the tree, arm dangling down trailing through the air. Fluttershy was kneeling on the edge of the blanket and was tending to some local animals and Applejack was lying back, resting on her elbows. Pinkie was rushing round the hill, chasing squirrels.

"I just hope he's wearing that new ensemble I made for him last week," Rarity said, starring at the sky from her sunbed just outside of the leafy shade. "It took me forever to find the appropriate materials for that jacket."

"I'm just happy Battle managed to get time off of work to come to the picnic and meet us!" Pinkie beamed. "I mean, isn't that neeto?"

"It's nice," Fluttershy whispered, smiling from beneath he hair, a tiny rabbit nibbling at her fingers.

"Oi oi, see you started without us," called a voice from down the hill. "Wonderful to know you five have such wonderful patience."

Battle set his basket down next to the others as Spike sat cross-legged on the blanket, rooting through the basket and pulling out a bottle of sarsaparilla and twisting the cap off. Battle swiped a bottle for himself and leaned against the oak tree itself as he twisted the cap off and took a swig. Rarity sat up and lifted her sunglasses off of her snout to glance over at Battle.

"I see you're wearing your latest addition to the wardrobe," she said appreciatively.

Battle smiled and rolled his shoulders, the faux-leather of his crimson jacket creaking slightly as it moved over his dark grey t-shirt. Rarity was a little irked that Battle had not chosen to wear the new shoes she had designed for the outfit, preferring instead to wear his own dusty walking boots, but she was thankful Battle had chosen to wear the black jeans she had crafted.

"What can I say?" Battle smiled, "It's a snazy jacket."

"And how fetching it looks on you too darling," Rarity winked.

"Moving on from the fru-fru," Applejack said loudly. "Anypony know when Twilight's supposed to get back?"

"Celestia said she'd send a letter when Twilight leaves from Canterlot," Spike said. "But she also said diplomatic relations were going... slowly."

"How'd you mean?" Dash asked, changing position in the tree.

"According to Celestia," Battle said. "The diplomat Twilight's dealing with is awkward in terms of suiting others needs, arrogant and prefers to be the one talking."

"Why're we dealing him and his government then?" Dash asked. "Blow 'em off I say."

"Rainbow," Applejack reprimanded. "Equestria is a nation of harmony. Of love and tolerance. While this guy maybe acting kind of a jerk, there's gotta be a reason why we're putting up with him."

"Her," Spike and Battle corrected.

"Beg pardon? Applejack said, dumbfounded.

"The letters Celestia and Twilight sent specifically label this diplomat a mare," Battle explained, Spike's cheeks ballooning outwards. He let out a great belch of glittering ash that smelled of sarsaparilla. He blushed as he picked up the scroll that had formed and unraveled it.

"Dear Spike," he dictated. "I hope you'll be pleased to know that the diplomatic relations have now drawn to a close, and Twilight should be arriving with you at any moment. Do expect her to be in a one of her, less pleasant moods, as the meetings have taken their hold on my dear student. Relaxation with friends is what she needs right now Spike, which I'm sure you can arrange. From Princess Celestia."

"She's on her way," Battle commented. "Brace for impact."

"Oh come darling," Rarity sighed, lying back on the sunbed. "I'm sure the Princess is just exaggerating."

"Yeah, sure," Battle muttered.

A flash a pink and white light blinded them all for a moment. The light became more humble as it twisted into the shape of Twilight's Cutie Mark. It pulsed for several seconds before it burst in a shower of purple sparks. Twilight stood where the star had been, looking almost as bad as Battle, only much, much irritated.

"Darling you look absolutely awful," Rarity commented. "What have you been doing with your mane?"

"Nothing," Twilight sighed stumbling onto the rug and picking up her own bottle of sarsaparilla. "I haven't had any time to fix it outside of sleeping and eating." She frowned as she sat down. "That mare was the most difficult and arrogant person I have ever had the misfortune of meeting."

"Need me to go say something sugar cube?" Applejack asked.

"Thanks AJ, but no," Twilight sighed. "I don't know what King Veteran was thinking sending her for diplomacy."

Battle raised an eyebrow.

"King Veteran?" Dash asked.

"Veteran Centurian the King of Warhorse and its empire," Twilight explained. "With his new diplomatic adviser being his daughter, Princess Tactical."

Battle spat out a mouthful of Sarsaparilla.

"I'm sorry could you repeat that?" he asked, looking at Twilight, shaking with repressed laughter.

"Princess Tactical," Twilight said slower. "The unicorn princess of Warhorse... and most annoying pony I've ever met."

Yep, that's Tactical alright, Battle thought to himself, still shaking with laughter.

"Does Tactical mean something to you?" Twilight asked, narrowing her eyes.

"Nope," Battle lied easily.

Twilight narrowed her eyes even more, though she didn't press the point. She had since learnt that Battle's past was something he avoided talking about, either through evasion, or lies. Twilight knew when Battle was lying by now, and knew he only lied when he didn't want to talk about the subject.

"So anyway," Battle said, "What did your new BFF want?"

"There is no way in Tartarus that she will ever be my friend," Twilight shuddered. "She's worse than Trixie."

"I'm going to pretend I know who that is and just move on," Battle said.

"What was so bad about her?" Dash asked.

"What was good about her? That's the shorter answer!" Twilight cried, throwing her hands in the air. "I don't think I've ever met such an arrogant, self-centered, egotistical, insensitive and harsh pony in all my life!"

Definitely Tactical, Battle thought smiling.

"She was less interested in trying to get my opinions on Warhorse politics and instead she wanted to tell me how we should run Equestria!" Twilight cried. "Said 'Equestria was too docile,' or something like that."

"The absolute cheek!" Rarity exclaimed, sitting upright, lifting her sunglasses off of her face, scowling. "Such brutish pony's should not comment on how Equestria is ruled."

"There not brute's Rarity," Twilight sighed, Battle scowling at the alabaster unicorn. "They're a race of honorable warriors. It's just a case that some of them are not as humble and kind as the rest."

Twilight smiled bitterly. "Not that you could call Tactical a warrior."

Damn right you can't, Battle agreed.

"What the hay does that mean?" Dash asked.

"Warhorse is a nation of warriors. To be in the military is considered an honor over there. So much so that the officers can even outrank the nobility. In fact most of the officers do outrank Tactical. She barely has a place in Warhorse politics."

"Then why did they send her of all ponies?" Applejack asked. "If she ain't important why'd they send her?"

"Because of her ego I assume," Twilight shrugged. "Or perhaps they wanted to make an impression. Their last diplomat was commander in chief of the empire's entire armies."

"Does he outrank the king then?" Dash asked.

Battle snorted but passed it off as a sneeze. Hardly.

"Not really Dash," Twilight said. "Traditionally the eldest child of the current monarch is commander of the armies until they earn the right to be crowned King. Being crowned King is like a leave of service rolled with a promotion."

"So when you say their previous diplomat was the commander of their armies?" Dash said slowly, "You're saying that it was the Prince of Warhorse?"

Twilight blinked.

"I never thought about it like that," she said slowly.

"You knew their traditions yet you didn't put that the commander of Warhorse's armies may most likely also be their Prince?" Battle said, skeptical. And here I thought she was smart.

Twilight blushed slightly. "I wasn't really paying attention to what he was as a political figure. We managed to get more diplomatic issues resolved in one hour than... Tactical and I did, in three days. Not to mention he was polite, sweet... charming..."

Twilight appeared to have drifted off into a dream-like state, her eyes glazed over. Rarity's eyes however bugged in her head as the penny dropped. A sly smile crept over Dash's face as she too realized Twilight's dreamy expression.

"Oh my Celestia!" Rarity exclaimed, "You have a crush on the Prince of Warhorse!"

"Huh? Twilight has a crush on who!?" an ecstatic Pinkie zipped up the hill and was hanging off Dash's branch by her legs.

"Twilight's got a crush on the Prince of Warhorse!" Dash guffawed madly, kicking her legs in the air.

"I do not!" Twilight defended adamantly.

"It's like something out of a fairy tail!" Rarity squealed.

"I never thought I'd see the day Twilight would go all googly eyes for some pony," Applejack chuckled.

"I am not googly eyes for some Prince!" Twilight shouted, blushing madly.

"Um girls," Fluttershy whispered.

"Twilight any Prince would be lucky to have you as a romantic interest," Rarity insisted.

"Girls..."

"I'm not romantically attracted to the guy!" Twilight cried.

Battle smiled, before glancing over to Fluttershy.

"What's the matter 'Shy?" Battle asked. Fluttershy looked up and pointed timidly down the hill, the other girls still arguing Twilight's romantic interests. Battle followed her gaze and scowled.

Princess Celestia was adamantly arguing with a shorter, grey green unicorn mare with silver hair and navy blue eyes. Her Cutie Mark was a map emblazoned with a pair of mathematical compass.. Battle sighed. He could recognize who the Princess was arguing with and could probably guess what it was about. He straightened up and patted Fluttershy on the shoulder.

"I'll see to it," Battle said.

He walked down the hill towards the two arguing unicorns. As he got closer he could start to make out some of the phrases being thrown about.

"Enough is enough!" Celestia was saying. "You have badgered and pestered her enough."

"I still have diplomatic issues to discuss with my designated liaison," the other unicorn countered. "Since you yourself claim to be too busy, you insist I talk though your middle man."

"I assure you Twilight Sparkle is quite able to make decisions and judgments for the good of Equestria and indeed for Warhorse on her own," Celestia said coolly.

"That filly has only been a Princess of this land for a year," the unicorn snapped. "What possible experience can she have that I do not?"

"I can safely say she most likely has more experience of battle than you," Battle called as he approached.

Celestia and the other unicorn turned to Battle. Celetia's eyes widened slightly, while the other unicorn's mouth dropped open. Battle smiled slightly as he reverted to a brisk, intimidating march.

"So, what's the problem here?" he asked, stopping by Celestia, thumbs linked behind his back, heels pressed together, back rigid. Celestia blinked before turning to the other unicorn.

"Princess Tactical is demanding to see Twilight Sparkle over more trivial matters," Celestia replied. "Given the length of time it has taken the two of them to get to through the most basic of matters, I believe Twilight deserves a days rest." She glared at Tactical. "And perhaps that Princess Tactical requires a return to Warhorse before our next diplomatic summit."

"And what do you have to say to this?" Battle asked Tactical. Tactical bit her lip and scowled at Battle. "Well if that's your response I think Princess Celestia is right."

"But-" Tactical started.

"I don't think I gave you an order to talk," Battle snapped, his eyes turning dark. "If you don't have anything useful to say, I think you should leave Princess Sparkle alone for the time being. After all you have irritated her enough for the past three days, I think you both deserve a few days rest."

Tactical glowered at him before her horn glowed bronze and disappeared. Celestia sighed and pinched her nose.

"It appears I owe you once more Battle," she said smiling weakly.

"Don't mention it," he said smiling. He pressed his fist against his chest in salute. "Pleasure to see you again Celestia."

"And you Battle," she said. "I hope you are enjoying your time in Ponyville."

"I should hardly be surprised you knew I was here," Battle sighed closing his eyes.

Celestia glanced up at the top of the hill and nodded. "I shall allow you to enjoy your day. I once again have to thank you for your assistance... for my behalf and Twilight's."

"Don't mention it," Battle said, waving Celestia goodbye.

"And Battle?"

"Aye?"

Celestia looked at him with sad eyes. "You should really get some sleep."

"Tell that to your sister," Battle sighed, turning to march slowly back up the hill. Celestia watched him go, eyes filled with sadness.

"I think I just might do that."