• Published 18th May 2013
  • 8,408 Views, 327 Comments

Never Be The Same - Kickback



We've all been hurt but how we survive is what makes us who we are

  • ...
36
 327
 8,408

Chapter 16 - Fix You

When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone, but it goes to waste
Could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you.


Cup was right, it was just starting to rain.

As much as I dearly wanted to just run with the little pegasus in my arms all the way back to the cottage to get out of it, I had made a promise to her.

I was going to see her home.

After coming back to work from Rarity's, I had thought non-stop about how I was going to go about and do just that. I had thought about simply going to town hall, maybe speak to the current mayor about it and he could get a word to Cloudsdale. By then, Fluttershy's parents could come down and retrieve her or she would just be sent up via one of those pegasi-carriages.

However, something told me that if I did that, Fluttershy would taken under the care of...well, I really didn't know. The mayor, himself or a mere random pony to watch her until she could be sent or taken home.

As selfish as it would've seemed, I didn't like that.

I didn't take kindly to the idea that she would be...taken away from me.

At least, before she was safely on her way home.

I've only known her in person for little under two days but I can't help but feel this...attachment to her. Then again, I can't help but feel the same with Lyra, AJ, Rares or even Cadence and Tia.

Say what you will but suddenly knowing the entities of your fascination on a personal level really tends to spark something. I love them as if they were my own kin.

And really...they were, or at least...the closest thing to it that I had now.

So, instead, I came up with another idea, one that I shared with Cup before my shift had ended. Boy, was I lucky to have such lenient employers. I had explained to Cup that I wanted to instead, send a letter directly to Fluttershy's parents, letting them know that she was safe and for them to collect her. The cerulean mare seemed to admire my caring nature for the yellow filly and obliged. She let me use a spare envelope and sheet of lined paper, aswell as a quill. I would've preferred a pen but you work with what you get, right? My handwriting was atrocious, no matter what I used anyway.

So, in between taking and serving orders, taking and exchanging money, I wrote the letter. Fluttershy had informed me of the address aswell as the postal code, I thanked her kindly for that. Luckily too, I wasn't even sure what my postal code was at the time, thankfully, she knew hers.

Convenient.

I re-read the letter after finishing it, it wasn't long, just enough to send the message.

Dear. Fluttershy's parents.

Your daughter is alive.

She is safe and well. She is now in Ponyville and wants to go home. It's a miracle she's even alive. Please come to the cottage just on the outskirts of town and retrieve her. I've done what I can to look after her until now but I really think she dearly misses Cloudsdale and the two of you.

...Regards, Kyle Mercer.

I shrugged at the short letter, it was pathetic but it got the point across. I was about to fold it up and place it within the envelope when I noticed Flutershy's large eyes following me. She was still sitting atop the counter. I could see a silent question screaming at me from behind them.

I smiled at her, placing the letter in front of her and offering her the quill. She silently took it in her mouth and smiled at me through clenched teeth. Fluttershy scribbled something onto the paper, it always amazed me how dexterous ponies were with their mouths...Uhhhh, forget I said that.

The pegasus hoofed the letter over to me. I glanced over to the added inscription, right below my name were the words; "Love Fluttershy" in curvy, neat writing.

I had nothing to say, I simply looked back towards her to find her grinning face staring back. Regardless of what it said, now it was perfect.

After getting practically saturated as we rushed through the downpour cascading the streets. The two of us managed to reach the post office. I had the young filly cradled in my arms with my jacket as a sorta make-shift blanket. She was shivering but she was far better off then myself. I could only hope she wouldn't get sick.

I felt little intrusive as I opened the door, dripping water onto the carpeted floor as I walked inside towards the front desk. The building looked deserted. There was nopony in sight, neither staff nor public. For a moment, I didn't know what to do. Do I try tomorrow? Do I give in and just go to the mayor? How did mail services work again? Can I not just send it to Tia and she'll sort it out? I felt Fluttershy shift her gaze up to me, watching me curiously. What if...

Fuck it. Come back tomorrow. What's one more day?

I was about to turn back to the door. That is until I heard a set of hoofsteps. Glancing back at the desk, I spotted a dark green pegasus mare set herself behind it. When she saw me, she cocked an eyebrow upwards. I frowned, something which didn't last long as she let out a quiet giggle to herself. "Can I help you?" She asked, a chirp in her tone.

Now it was my turn to cock an eyebrow. I coughed. "Uhhh aye."

I felt around my pocket for the letter but then remembered that it was in my jacket. Fluttershy silently protested at being taken of her source of warmth but reluctantly complied when I set her on the floor and unwrapped the white mass of fabric from around her. I watched her shake her small body rapidly, as if she were more canine than equine, water flailing off of her coat. It was adorable, really. Searching around through the coat, it didn't take long to find the letter. Sure, it was mildly damp but still in one piece. I walked up to the mare, her mane was a glittery hue of silver and her eyes were crimson red.

Ponies, man, you'll never find two that have the same colour scheme. I'm no geneticist but I'm pretty sure that's impossible. Whatever, it's a world filled with magical talking ponies, what's there to explain after that?

I held out the letter to her. "Can ya make sure this gets to Cloudsdale?"

She nodded and took it in her teeth before setting it aside. "Why don't you just use your own mailbox?"

I rubbed my neck. "I don't necessarily have one of those, all my stuff just kinda gets left on my door." I paused. "Or comes through a magical fireplace."

She stared silently for a moment then shook her head with another soft giggle. "Whatever you say."

This chick's pretty chill...

"Cheers, lass." She nodded again, I smiled before turning back to the little filly. "C'mon, 'Shy, let's get goin'."

I knelt down and opened up the jacket, Fluttershy trotted over and settled herself in as I wrapped it up around her small frame, much to her glee. She let out a quiet hum of appreciation as her head poked out from it, a content smile on her face. I swear I felt my heart explode right there and then. "Get home safe, you two." The mare called as we reached the door. I looked back to find her waving. I gave a two-fingered salute and pushed open the door.

It was beginning to really piss down.

Now, I've seen and experienced my fair share of rain and have, rather dramatically, one might even call this a bit of a cliche but I've come to enjoy it. Hell, if I know what it is but this was a borderline storm, meaning that it wasn't really at all safe outside. The dirt roads became mud and the grass became over-watered, the few insects that inhabited the area drowned in the rain. These ponies, man, I don't think I'll ever understand why they have to have binge rain storms to make up for every two or so weeks of sunshine.

We had just reached the the edge of town and we were dearly saturated. It seemed my little impromptu blanket wasn't as effective as I though, Fluttershy was shivering in my arms. The road crossing the plains outside Ponyville grew harder and harder to traverse, I felt the mud seep into my shoes and the dirt that kicked up onto my clothes, too ingrained to be washed away by the rain. Athena was going to have my neck.

"Don't worry, Shy...We're almost home-"

I was cut off as I let out a loud yelp, feeling a sharp, sudden pain in my foot. Next came my loss of balance, I tumbled forward over on the axis of my foot. Without thinking, I tossed the little filly in my arms forward, she landed with a dull thud and let out an "eep" before groaning in pain.

That's when my face hit the road.

"...Fuck." Mud clung to my clothes, even managing to find it's way buried into my hair and decorating my face. Pulling my myself partially from the ground, I looked up to see Fluttershy rummaging her way out of my now, tarnished jacket. Her hooves became stained with mud as she managed herself and for the most part, looked alright but her coat was now getting saturated and I couldn't help notice the faint limp she in her step.

"A-are you okay?" She asked, concerned yet still timid.

I tried to smile. "Yeah." I took a quick glance behind me, finding a tall black mound sticking out from the path. "Tripped on a damn rock. How ya doin'?"

"My h-hoof kinda hurts."

"C'mon, let's keep goin'."

I stood up groggily. swatting away whatever dirt I could. It wasn't much but it was better than all of it. I tilted my head to Fluttershy, who now stood in front of me, watching me patiently, curiously. I looked over to my jacket and grimaced, I wasn't going to bundle her up in that now. I walked towards it, the heavy pitter-patter of the rain became almost natural now. I picked it up by the hood and cringed. It was gonna need a thorough wash. Tossing it over my shoulder, I turned back to look at Fluttershy, however, she was not facing me.

Her wide, cerulean eyes were glued to something. Her mouthed formed into a frown and she stood with the utmost attention I had ever seen her.

For a moment, I was frightened. What was she looking at?

I followed her line of sight. My gaze stretched far but I couldn't make out or distinguish whatever caught her focus. I strode up closer to her. "Shy, wha-"

She answered immediately in he form of a short, yellow hoof extending forward, she was pointing at something. I registered her gesture and followed her hoof's trajectory. It was pointing at the ground. In the briefest instant, I thought to just brush it off and just pick up and dash home. I would've too if I didn't hear it. It was faint but audible. A tiny squeaking sound, frantic, high-pitched and short between bursts. I noticed movement underneath the mud and between the the vines of sludge poked out a defining shade of grey. Then I saw an ear stick out from the dirt.

There was a rabbit buried head-deep in mud.

Before I could do anything, Fluttershy suddenly sprung into action. I stood there, dumbfounded as I watched her dig out the poor rascal with her hooves, letting out muffled grunts as she worked. The rabbit still squeaked rapidly but something told me that it was in pain.

When Fluttershy turned back to face me, her mane and coat were now dirtier than ever and she cradled the mud-caked bunny in her hoof. Wordlessly, she trotted up to me, rather awkwardly as she now had to use one of her front hooves to carry the rodent but she managed, even with her back leg having been injured in her earlier fall. She looked up at me, a pleading gaze in her eyes. "We gotta help her."

Her tone was unwavering. I held out my hands. "Alright but we gotta hurry..." I looked down at the battered feline she placed in my open palms and noticed a faint hue of red on it's side through the mud. "I think she's bleeding."

We ran.

It took me a moment but I realised that I wasn't carrying the little yellow pegasus anymore and instead, she was keeping up pace with me on hoof. Of course I wasn't running as fast as I could, I had an injured bunny in my arms but I was overly impressed with Fluttershy resolve and determination. Almost like the rabbit sparked something in her.

It wasn't too long before we crossed the bridge overlooking the stream below and ran up to the scratched up to the cottage. The two of us caught our breath as I pulled out the key from my back pocket and unlocked the door. I pushed it aside and allowed the filly to run in first. I slammed the door shut upon my own entry.

We were home. Out of that damn storm. With a dazed, dirty and scratched-up bunny.

I shook my head and threw my jacket onto the floor. Before I knew it, Fluttershy had bolted up the stairs. "What're ya doin'!?"

She didn't answer. I groaned. "C'mon, little guy, let's get that sorted."

It squeaked in response. At the least, it wasn't thrashing or trying to escape, so it was either smart enough to know we wanted to help it or it was just too tired to resist. Poor bugger must think this would be it's last night of life.

I walked up the stairs, all of us were going to need a wash. Opening the door to the bathroom, I found Fluttershy already inside, opening up the medicine cabinate before pulling out a bandage from the first-aid I kept in there. Bless her heart.

I walked over to the sink and ran the hot water after shoving a plug into the drain. I evened out the temperature with some cold and tested it with a dip of my hand. I recoiled with a sharp yelp and turned the hot water off, allowing it to cool to the perfect degree. It was okay after a few seconds. I lowered the rabbit into the pool and it squirmed in my grasp, not fully knowing what I was doing with it. I felt Fluttershy watching with a hoof to her mouth in anxiety, clearly she nervous about the situation.

The rabbit clawed me. I forgot they had those.

"Ow." I said flatly. Obviously, this rabbit didn't trust me but maybe..." 'Shy?"

She perked up and looked towards me. "Hmm?"

"I think she likes you more." I said as I gestured for her to take the rabbit. She seemed hesitant but shortly after a few moments.

"O-okay." She took the feline in her hooves and trotted to the sink. It was low enough for her. I leaned back on the door frame and watched as she steadily let the rodent sink into the pool of water. The rabbit's eyes were glued to Fluttershy, it never made a move to resist her and remained docile and calm. Most of the grime that clung to it's fur washed off instantly but it was still stained and matted. She looked at me, to which I gestured to the window-sill by she the shower. It wasn't really for animals or pets but shampoo is still better than no soap at all and besides, it was made for a pony's coat, so I assumed it was alright to use.

She took it in her hoof and looked down at the bunny. "Now...Close your eyes." She spoke, quietly. I didn't think it would but I've been wrong before. I watched in surprise as the tiny ball of fur clenched it's eyes shut, as if on command. Fluttershy smiled faintly and squeezed a fair portion of the bottle onto the feline and then some into the bathwater, it didn't look pleased about it. She then began to massage the soap into the creature's fur and by that, it seemed to relax, even the briefest glimpses of the rabbit-equivalent of a content smile began to spread across it's features.

Fluttershy turned the tap on the cold water and held the bunny it to rinse off. Taking the bunny out, she looked to me and smiled as I handed her a small towel. She took it in her teeth and nodded thankfully before spitting it into her hooves and roughly yet tentatively began drying off the furry feline.

By the end of the ordeal, there now sat a tiny, gleefully-looking rabbit on my bathroom floor, looking up at Fluttershy and I. We both smiled back down at it. It hopped over to the pegasus and adorably rubbed it's head against her leg, lovingly. She seemed taken aback by this but I noticed something as her expression softened and she rubbed the bunny's head, between the ears.

There was something different about her.

"Hey." I spoke up. She turned to look up at me. "There are some carrots in the fridge, I bet the little tike it mighty hungry." The rabbit seemed to understand and perked up with an excited beam. "Go on, I'm gonna try and wash up, myself."

Fluttershy nodded. There was a certain aura about her now. "Okay, Kyle." With that, she left me in the bathroom, I stared at the shower and smiled wide.


I threw on a pair of clean clothes, a simple pair of blue sweatpants and a black button-up shirt, all of which were custom fitted for me by Athena. All of which, she charged for, I might add. I was about to head on back downstairs to see how Fluttershy was but stopped when I caught the briefest glimpses of white in my wardrobe.

My mother's jacket.

Still old, still faded but it was all I had to remember her by. Out of nostalgia, I unhooked it from it's hanger and pulled my arms through the sleeves. I was cold and it was warm.

I walked into the kitchen and there she was, calmly feeding a full carrot to out latest guest. It nibbled on the vegetable with vigour and brushed it's head against Fluttershy, as if trying to coax another one out of her. I only chuckled at that. "Hey, 'Shy?" She didn't seem to notice me until I spoke, her ears perked up and she turned to face me.

"Yes?"

"Why don't you take a quick shower?"

Oh, I-ummm..." She glanced over to the rabbit.

I got the message. "Don't worry, I'll take care o' her. You go and wash up." I smiled.

"I don't know if-"

"Fluttershy, there's more mud on you than there is fur." I said, flatly.

"...Okay." She nodded and trotted past me.

I only smiled as I watched her climb up the stairs. I shook my head and turned to face the rabbit. "So...ya like carrots, ay?"

It didn't answer, only remained silent as it watched me with it's tiny, black eyes. "Yeah, so do I, 'tis why I buy 'em."

It wrinkled it's nose "So, got any family?"

One of it's ears flicked to the side. "Yeah, me too." I sighed, pulling up a seat from the dinner table. "So, what were ya doin' out there?"

It gave a short hop forward on the counter, coming closer to me. "That right?"

It sat up-right on it's back legs, it's front paws curled inwards towards it's body. "I can relate, buddy." I stood and walked over to the fridge before pulling the door open and taking out a of Pony-si.

I know, I flipped when I found out the name aswell.

Oddly enough, it doesn't taste anything like Pepsi. It's more of a...Well, imagine the kick of a Mother but with the cola-like taste of Coke.

Anyway.

"Want a drink?"

Now, here was where it gets weird.

It nodded.

The rabbit nodded it's head. "Well...water?" Again, it nodded. Huh. Clever bastard.

I strode over to the sink, grabbed an empty, clean glass and filled it about half-way with water. Picking up a straw from the bottom-cupboard, I dropped it in and placed the drink in front of the rodent. He put his open maw to the end of straw and drunk greedily of what it had to offer. He wiped his mouth with a paw after he had his fill.

I only shook my head, little surprised me of Equestrian fauna anymore. You never know how intelligent, or lack of they may be. Something was driving me crazy though about this little smart bugger. It was still standing on it's back legs, so all it too was a quick glance. Ahh.

"So, mate, ya got a lass?"

He seemed a bit downtrodden at that. "Oh. Sorry, won't ask." He shook his. I assumed that meant he forgave me.

A few minutes went by in silence, just the of us guys sipping at our dripping. Two creatures in a world ruled by magical ponies, they own this world, we just live here. Where did that come from?...Ahh, well, it's true. The Griffons, the Minotaurs, the Buffalo, the Cows, they're all minorities compared to our pastel-coloured equine friends. Hell, I discovered that the planet itself, or realm or whatever is actually, believe it or not, named "Equis".

Now, those are all races, there are entire civilisations besides ponies but me? A human? I'm an alien here, a one-of-a-kind, the only one and probably the only one ever. Unless of course history will repeat itself, for all I know, it already has. That would be interesting as Tia made it clear that she had no clue who or what I was when we first met in this very cottage.

Even this rabbit has a whole species to be a part of in this world.

When I think about it like that, even when I remember Lyra, Tia or even Cup...I never feel more alone.

I took a long swig at that. I kind of wish I didn't swear myself off alcohol right about now.

That's about when I heard the water upstairs stop. It wasn't long after that I heard hoofsteps clopping down the steps and around came squeaky clean, adorable, doe-eyed Fluttershy. I must've been expressing how felt somehow as she looked at me with concern. "Kyle, are you okay?"

I took another long gulp of the drink in my hand. "I'm a'ight, sugar, don't worry 'bout me."

She didn't seem too happy with that answer but she didn't push on it. "So, what did you and Angel talk about?"

I stopped drinking and slowly brought the can away from my lips. "...Who?"

"Angel." She beamed, gesturing over to the rabbit on the counter-top.

...Wait...

"You named it?" I asked.

She seemed to shrink back, timidly at the question. "Ummm...yes?"

"Why 'Angel'?"

She beamed wide and trotted over to the bunny, making a face at him and scratching him under the chin, much to his glee. "Because she's a such a little sweet-heart." She explained, softly.

I managed to stifle a giggle. "Uhhh, 'Shy? I'm pretty sure that the 'she' is a 'he'."

She glanced over to me with confusion, when I didn't say anything further, she turned back to the bunny. After a moment, a dark blush appeared on her face. "Oh..."

"But..." I started, standing up and setting my drink down on the table before walking up to her. I petted the rabbit softly between the ears. "It's a nice name."

It was then that my ears caught wind of a oddly dull scratching sound. My entire body froze up once it registered the noise. It was quick, frantic and longing. I looked down the archway into the kitchen, It was coming from the door. Something was scratching the door. No...Oh, God, no...

It was him. I knew it. It had to be.

In my shock, I barely noticed the pegasus trotting along the floor, already halfway across the lounge room. He's gonna kill her.

I tried to speak but the overwhelming fear took root and shut my vocal chords down. She was at the door, her hoof about reaching for the knob. She didn't know. She had no idea what was there. She didn't know that if she opened the door...Please no, don't hurt her, it's me you want!

The pegasus swivelled the knob and the door creaked open and I dashed forward.

"Flutter-"

Whimper.

Huh? I stopped.

"Awwww."

I could my heart-rate slow drastically as what I saw there registered in my mind. Fluttershy cooed at the sight. Sitting there, on the doormat was a pure white bull-terrier. It's fur was matted from the rain but it wasn't all that grimy, thankfully. I stared at it for a long while and I noticed it staring back at me with those oddly expressive black eyes. I loved bull-terriers, I think I remember mentioning that my grandparents bred them. Call them what you will but the tough buggers are mighty adorable.

I looked over to Fluttershy and saw a silent question in her eyes, a plead. I gazed back to the dog and smiled. "Alright. C'mon, then." I said, patting my thigh in a beckoning gesture. The terrier's stuck it's tongue out to the side in glee before dashing inside and out of the rain. I wasn't very impressed that the mutt decided to dry itself off by shaking it's body around like all dogs do but I should've expected it. "You can sleep here tonight..." I took a quick glance underneath. "...Girl." She didn't seem to notice what I was saying but instead found herself content on scampering around the room tirelessly. I sighed.

"Shy?" The pegasus looked up at me, her mane bouncing to the side. "Wanna tell her to settle?"

She glanced at the restless terrier. "Okay." She said simply before taking a step forward. The dog having no care in the world, only happy to be warm and out of the rain. "Sit." With a sudden firm tone, Fluttershy barked at the canine. I watched in awe as it stopped dead on it's paws and turned it's muzzle to look at the pegasus. After a few silent moments, she complied, plopping herself down on her haunches and staring in Fluttershy's bright blue eyes. "Now, lay down." The terrier circled around on itself about three times before finally settling and laying down on the floor, curled up on herself.

Fluttershy turned to face me, a bright beam stretching across her features. I offered her a short round of applause, all in good nature. I opened my mouth to speak but was cut off by a loud banging coming from one of the windows. We both gazed to the source of the noise and found what looked like a tiny bird batting it's small frame against the glass, almost desperately so. I shook my head and walked over it.

I peered through the window. "Is that...a mocking jay?" I slid the small door open and low and behold, in flies a tan-coloured bird, it's tail feathers and wings spread wide as it buzzed around the room in delight. Just as the dog. I was beginning to see a pattern here. Before either of us could say or do anything, I heard a scrounging at the back door. I nodded at Fluttershy to see what it was. Not long after, in scurries a little orange-red fox. I looked up to see the pegasus in the door frame give me a very confused look. One of the other windows starts banging. I opened it up to find an owl casually letting itself inside. I was getting tired of this.

That's when the door scratched again. Fluttershy and I looked at eachother. "No." I said.

"Please?"

"No."

Fluttershy petted the terrier around her back and the owl nestled itself on her own back. "Kyle, you know what it's like outside. They're cold and scared. They need shelter."

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. "Four animals is enough, lass."

"Please?"

Oh, God, that look.

"Kyle?"

Please stop, you're killin' me!"

"They just need-"

"Alright!"

Fuck, where did this sudden 'not-so-timid' Fluttershy come from?!

I opened the door.

"AH!" I yelped and jumped to the side. It was madness.

Before I knew, the entirety of the animal kingdom was making itself at home in my cottage. In scurries three raccoons, five bobcats, an ocelot, six other rabbits, four more owls, a crow, two capuchins, three goats, a rather ridiculous some of poultry, seven hummingbirds, a black bear, an eagle. That's right, a literal eagle. A couple of labradors, three bulldogs and a partridge in a pear tree.

It was chaos, it was like they decided to film the next Dr. Dolittle movie in my house and no one trained the animals. The birds flew about as high as they could, which was barely above eye level for me. The dogs were barking and growling at eachother and the vermin decided to try and raid the kitchen. Ironically, the bear just stood there in the corner, watching passively everything that was happening. It looked tired.

I stood next to Fluttershy, a dumbfounded expression on my face, she faired no better. I shook my head, it was getting too loud for my liking. "Oi! Shut up!" My demand fell on deaf ears. I slowly turned to look down at the pegasus, her mouth hung agape in shock as she rotated her head to meet my gaze. I must've expressed my irritation facially as she shied away from my sight.

Wordlessly, she took a few steps forward and coughed into a hoof. "Okay, settle down." She said softly. Man, I'm surprise I even heard that.

"Come on now, why don't we all try to relax." She tried again, putting a bit more volume in her tone.

I rolled my eyes.

"Please, if you would all listen-" A stray bird flew by her eye and she jumped back in surprise.

C'mon, 'Shy.

She didn't turn to face me but I could practically feel the expression on her face. Her legs spread wide on the ground, her tail hung low as did her head, her breathing became sharp, focused yet ragged. Her feathers ruffled and I even heard her growl under her breath. I think for a moment, there was bright golden aura around her as she unleashed her rage.

"QUIET!!!"

It was just that.

Every sapient and non-sapient creature in the house was dead-silent. The only sound was the harsh intakes of breath made by Fluttershy. I stood, rigid behind her, not daring to twitch a muscle in the presence of this...I don't know what she was but I was not about to make it angry.

"Now. Sit."

Not going to lie, I almost did myself. This tiny pony, the most sweet, shy and harmless pony in all of Equestria, was in control of an entire zoo's worth of animals. She knew it too. All at the same time, they all hunched close to the ground, not daring to tear their gaze away from the pegasus filly.

With all critters, great and small now docile, she turned around to face me. She wore a small but proud smile on her muzzle. "I-I didn't know I could d-do that." She put a hoof to her chest. I walked up to her and ruffled her mane affectionately, she let out a quiet giggle at that.

"Didn't know either." I grinned, knowingly.

I found myself sitting back on the same dining chair, cross-armed next to the newly-dubbed Angel. All he did was sip leisurely at his drink. I watched the tiny pegasus trot about, pet and talk to our latest guests. Whatever she said, the animals seemed to register and even reply in their own subtle ways yet she was able to understand them.

As she walked about, I kept finding myself staring at the side of her flank. It seemed even as I robbed her of her cutie mark, she was still able to communicate with fauna on a ground-level. I suppose that made sense, I mean, she was able to right before she got it in the show and even when she had Pinkie's, she still was able to. I could only smile at her as she leisurely strode about, the critters watching her with a look of adoration in their eyes.

Maybe...maybe I didn't fuck up as much as I thought.

I looked over at Angel, he glass was almost empty. "Friends o' yours?"

He looked over at me with a cocked eyebrow. I gestured to the creatures littering the house. All he did was shrug but he wore a very smug look on his furry features. I sighed, grabbed his glass, filled it back up with water and got another drink of my own. I set it down in front of his, reclined back in the chair and held my can up to his cup.

"Cheers."

Author's Note:

...Everything Is Fine...