• Published 18th May 2013
  • 8,404 Views, 327 Comments

Never Be The Same - Kickback



We've all been hurt but how we survive is what makes us who we are

  • ...
36
 327
 8,404

Chapter 9 - Days Go By

Days go By.
I can feel you flying like a hand out the window in the wind.
The cars go by.
And it's all we've been doin'.
So, you better start livin' right now.
'Cause days go by.


It's been about five days since I moved into Fluttershy's cottage. Technically, it was my cottage but it always felt weird saying that it was mine. I may own the place and I may live there but that didn't change the fact that she...somehow would come to, also.

The first few days were spent somewhat job searching. Okay, by that, I really mean just walking through town looking for wanted signs until I bumped into some random pony, preferably a foal that I recognised. However, instead, I always seemed to be found by Lyra and on occasion, Roseluck. It was always good to see either of them but the way they drained the purse that Celestia gave me was getting kind of concerning. Hell, on the very next day I told Lyra that I'd be staying, I woke up, still somewhat exhausted, thanked Celestia for no more horror bullshit that night, skipped showering had a quick bite of fruit, threw on my jacket and left the house, on my way to Ponyville.

Though I do admit, getting any sleep the night before...was not easy.

Lyra was practically half way up the road when I came walking into Town. I sighed but the beam on her face was priceless though. After saying that she was just about to come around anyway, she beckoned me to hang out with her around Ponyville. I was a little apprehensive, since I was still worried about some of the ponies in town and their opinions towards me but when I saw her expectant grin? I just shook my head, gave her a smirk and wordlessly followed her into town.

We walked for a bout half an hour with her doing most of the talking before she let out an exaggerated; "Grrr, I'm hungry!" she moaned, I merely rolled my eyes.

"Skip Breaky?" I asked.

"No"

"Then why are ya hungry?"

Lyra gave me a quizzical look. "Do you know what time it is?" she asked.

"No, why-?" was all I managed before she pointed a hoof up to the shadowing clock-tower. "Twelve-thrity-three?...Well, damn" I let out, more to myself than Lyra.

"Yeah" she said with a hint of sarcasm.

"Well, I'm kinda peckish too, actually...wanna grab a bite?"

"Yep!" she beamed happily up at me and I simply gave her a thin smile. "I just heard about this new place that opened up, let's go there" she said, I chuckled as she scampered ahead of me, looking back to beckon with an enthusiastic gesture with her head for me to follow.

As we walked the grassy roads of Ponyville, I could't help but glance around at the neighbouring citizens. To my surprise, when I passed an Earth-pony mare busily yet happily tending to the garden by her home, protected by a simple, white-painted fence, she looked up from her work...and waved.

At me.

I waved back and she turned to her garden again.

I must've slowed down a bit because when I looked up from the ground with a goofy smile, I saw Lyra a fair distance from me. She stood there with a confused expression on her face and waited patiently for me to catch up.

Well, that's a change I thought. Can't remember the last time any shela found it kind enough to wait for me I groaned inwardly at the memory of just last week. I had gone out with a couple of lasses who thought it'd be cool to ditch me every chance they got while we were supposed to hang out at one of the shopping centres around the area. Good times...Heh, kinda miss that one lass, the other? Meh

"C'mon, Kyle!" Lyra groaned.

"Sorry"

Before I could follow her quickly fleeting form, I was quickly cut off by a bright red pegasus mare crossing my path. I bumped into her slightly and she recoiled a bit. She looked like she was going to quickly apologise but when she caught my eye, she craned her neck slightly and grimaced, scrunching up her nose in...something.

"Oh, uhh, sorry" I quickly managed. She just looked me up and down before grunting and elicting a scoff from her muzzle.

"Don't touch me" she...demanded? I was taken aback.

"Huh?"

"I said; stay away from me!" she glared in disgust at me for a few moments before trotting off in the way she was heading. I bared my teeth and my fists clenched as I heard her fleeting hoofsteps. I sighed, picking up the pace again to let out some the oncoming rage filling my mind.

"Bitch" I muttered. Why was I so angry all of a sudden?

The anger didn't last too long before a feeling of exclusion filled my head. "Guess there's still some time to go" I let out, barely a whisper. It wasn't until I felt a tugging at my track-pants that I was brought out of my trance. I looked down to see my little green new best friend smiling up at me and with another tilt of her head, she gestured to the building ahead of us.

"No way" I breathed, fighting off the oncoming shock, surprise and most of all; excitement.

Lyra began to say something "I think it's called-"

"Sugarcube Corner" I said, grinning madly as I went inside, a surprised Lyra in tow.

"Yeah, that's it...Hey, Kyle, wait up!" Lyra quickly scampered up to my side again. I stopped as soon as the smell of freshly baked biscuits filled my nostrils. With the limited food I had eaten in the last few days, I was sure I was bordering on almost simply going about to rob the place. I walked over to the counter and noticed a bell off to the side of the cash register. Instinctively, I tapped the pin and was immediately greeted with a familiar voice.

"In a sec!" I heard from around the kitchen. I looked down at Lyra who gave a blank expression, trying to peek around the counter to investigate. I heard the sound of an oven tray opening but quickly whinced as-"Son of a-!" Mr. Cake didn't finish his sentence. I stifled a sly chuckle at that before I heard some scuffling and before the two of us knew it, the orange stallion walked right up to the counter, his eyes closed in exhaustion, it seemed.

"Sorry about that" he began. "I was just-" it was then when he opened his eyes and caught sight of us...or, more specifically; me. He stared wide-eyed for a bit but moved up to the counter anyway, finally noticing the little unicorn by my side. "Uhh...what can I get you?" he asked. I gave a quick glance to the examples he had displayed in the glass window below the counter. I spotted a fine looking chocolate muffin that looked rich enough to kill someone and smiled.

"What do ya want, Lyra?" I asked. She grinned and tapped the glass once, pointing at a bright green, fairly sized cupcake. I just shook my head, smiling thinly before looking back up at Cake. "Just those two, mate" I said, gesturing to the sweets we picked. He nodded and bent down to obtain them before putting them both into a single brown, paper bag. He passed it over to me and held out his hoof.

"That'll be fifteen bits, sir" he said, smiling a little. I groaned and pulled out the purse from my pocket and took out the precise amount, placing them square on the counter. He grinned and took them without a care. "Have a fine day now" he said finally with a quick wave.

I still reckon to this day that the price for those two muffins were outrageously high. I kept that to myself, however.

"You too, mate and say 'hi' to the Misses for me, eh?" I saluted with a knowing smile before Lyra followed me out the door.

Mr. Cake was...slightly dumbfounded.

Anyway, after a few hours, I suddenly became aware of the time. It was noticably late by now and I inwardly grimaced. I was not looking forward to going home. Alone.

At night. In a house on the outskirts of town.

With that monster. With my nightmares.

With little to anything to protect myself with...AND STILL NO SHOES!

I pinched the bridge of my nose by that point but was taken by surprise when I heard a voice call out to me to my right."Hey, Kyle?" Lyra began. I looked over to her, she was sitting by my side on one of the nearby benches, casually holding her grape soda in one hoof while her other traced circles in the wood of the chair. She still sat in the same way, her legs dangling over the edge however, mine were tall enough to reach the ground effortlessly.

"Yeah, lass?"

"It's gettin' kinda late, I think I better go home now" she said, a hint of reluctance in her voice. I sighed and patted her shoulder gently.

"Yeah, I reckon it's 'bout that time. C'mon, let's be off" I stood up with a exasperated groan. How long were we sitting there?

"Wait" Lyra quickly said, I watched her jump onto the ground and look up at me, eyes shining somewhat. "I just was gonna ask if you'd wanna come over" she paused, rubbing her foreleg nervously. "For dinner?" she managed, looking to the side. I blanched a bit there, it was nice of her to offer but all around, it realy didn't depend on her decision. She was still only ten, or rather 'turning eleven' as she would always remind me so ultimately...what did her parents have to say?

What did Quo have to say? She did seem awfully nice the other day.

I pondered on politely declining her request and maybe saying 'Another time, perhaps' but I soon found my thoughts on the latter option.

Going home. Alone. At night...

Yeah. Fuck that.

"Sure thing, Lyra but we best clear with your folks, eh?" I replied, the ever-present smile when I looked at her still present.

"Oh, I'm sure they won't mind!" the unicorn squealed excitedly, beaming all the while. She quickly hopped off the bench, rather skillfully I might add, due to her anatomy and her positioning. I chuckled at that at stood up, I groaned tiredly as my bones cracked back into place.

It was kind of unhealthy, the way they did that. Mum always told me to have more calcium...

Mum...

I shook my head, this was not the time.

Lyra skipped happily to her house, I followed her without question. When we came up to the door, she gave a swift, solid knock on it. The door opened to reveal Quo again, the Earth-pony mare grinned down at the unicorn.

"Hi, sweetie" she greeted happily, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the forehead.

...And I was just trying to not think about my own mother little more than a few minutes ago, this wasn't helping.

"Hey, mom!" Lyra beamed up at her. "Is it okay if Kyle stays for dinner?" she asked excitedly. Quo's smile became smaller at that but it was hardly noticable. She looked up at me and caught my my gaze, I smiled somewhat sheepishly at her. The light blue Earth-pony stared at me for another few moments, silently sizing me up. I inwardly gulped, feeling uneasy under her scrutinizing stare. My nerves racked, something in my mind told me that if there was one single thing she found not to her liking, she could easily forbid Lyra from seeing me again.

I grimaced at that thought. The little unicorn, however, looked so confidently up at her mother. I decided to take that as a comforting sign and allowed her attitude to rub off on me. I tried to find the emotion in her bright violet eyes, to sense what she was thinking. My attempts were in vain, her poker-face held without faltering for a second. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, she smiled again and looekd back down at her daughter.

"That's sounds like a great idea, honey" she said, grinning down at the unicorn. Lyra squeed in delight.

That's right squeed...she actually did it.

"Awesome!" she happily stated, bouncing back over to me to grab my hand in the clef of her hoof. Granted, she couldn't get a fair grip and instead, simply just touched it, somewhat clamping around part of my hand. "C'mon, Kyle" she beamed up at me and smiled warmly back down at her. Lyra practically dragged me into the house, I nodded with a small grin at Quo, who returned the gesture and promptly shut the door behind us.

Dinner was good, great actually.

Lyra, Quo and I all sat around a fair-sized dining room table. Our plates steaming with roast vegetables just waiting to be eaten, I could hardly restrain myself when the cyan mare set down the three dishes in front of us, my mouth was surely watering at the sight of the freshly baked potatoes and sizzling carrots.

The house of the two was quite homey. Simple enough but cozy enough, a lounge room, a kitchen, a staircase that went up to the next floor, it actually kind looked like my house...

Well, Fluttershy's house, anyway.

To my surprise, Quo was actually quite the hospitible mare and was engaging in civil conversation with me. Of course, her questions mostly stemmed from my relationship with Lyra but that's hardly the point. When I had asked her what the occasion was for a roast, she just shrugged and smiled earnestly, elicting a chuckle from myself which in turn, caused Lyra to giggle.

It was nice.

"So..." I began. "Is it just the two of you living here?" I asked.

Quo waved a hoof dismissively. "Oh, no, no, Shock should be back home soon" she said, smiling. Though, I could tell that it was somewhat forced, I frowned a little at that.

"Shock?"

"Yes, my husband, Shock Wave" she replied. I had to contain myself from laughing at that. Wow, Transformers, much?

"Ah, okay, I suppose he's quite the busy lad?" I said, taking another bite with my bare hands at a crispy potato. Quo's face fell again at that and I immediately tried to hinder what would probably be an awkward silence. "Hey, ya don't have to say anything" I looked over at the little green filly, gleefully munching on her own dinner. "My own dad worked late alot too, I get it" I said, turning back to Quo, who smiled understandedly.

He really did when he had his gigs...made less time for us

Argh, what am I saying? Now's not the time...not now, at least.

"So, Quo" I began. "What do you do?"

"Oh, I'm a teacher" she answered, gladly taking another mouthful of the spread she'd laid out.

So, the night went on a bit like that for a while. I leaned back on the chair, of which I was thankful that I could sit in and patted my stomach in satisfaction. "Thanks for that, Quo, much appreciated" I said in earnest.

She...actually blushed a little and smiled with a nod, graciously taking mine and the filly's plates back into the kitchen. When she trotted back into the room, she glanced at the clock. "By Celestia, it's already 9:30!?" she gasped. She turned to look at the lime-coated filly. "Lyra, come on, time for bed" she stated, far more calmly than her previous outburst with a motherly smile.

"Awwww" Lyra groaned, hopping off her seat.

Quo looked up at me. "Well, it was nice having you stay, Mr. Mercer" she smiled respectively.

Damnit...damnit....damnit

"Yeah, uhh, it was great getting to know you, Quo" I looked down at Lyra. "And thanks for inviting me over, lass" I rummaged her mane a bit, elicting a giggle from the little unicorn. "Alright, 'guess I'll be off then" I said half-heartedly, grimacing at the thought of walking home.

I made my way to the door and felt a slight shiver run up my spine when I grabbed the bronze-coloured knob. It wasn't until that I steeled myself enough to open the door that I heard something. Something all too familiar, I put my ear to the door and...

CRACK-A-BOOM

I lurched back and swung the door open to be greeted by an almost hazardous downpour of a storm. Rain pelted down at the grass and dirt roads of Ponyville and hammered at the rooftops of it's residents, including the one I was standing in. I looked back at Quo and Lyra with a sheepsih grin, of whom, held their mouths open in slight surprise. Guess I could understand, how could we have not heard THIS?

I sighed and turned back to the door, I stepped forward but was cut off as a few scampering hooves rushed by me in order to slam the door with my still on the inside. I looked down and saw Lyra standing there on her hind legs, leaning up against the hard wood with her back and hooves, almost defensively. She looked up at me with the most serious look I had seen on her. "You can't go out there!" she began. "It's pouring down!"

I smiled at her appreciatively before gesturing to my jacket. "I think I'll be okay, Lyra, it's just a little-"

"Lyra's right, Kyle" Quo suddenly stated. "It's too heavy out there, it's also too dark to be wandering off on your own"

"Yeah, who knows? You might be eaten by a monster!"

Don't remind me

I knew she was exaggerating but she had no idea. No idea of the thing, the thing I've decided to call 'The Rake'. I'm still not sure if it actually was or just something distinctively like it but I didn't care. It's stalking me, it wants me, I know what it wants from me.

And he is NOT getting it from ME!!

"Lyra, don't be silly" Quo stated motherly. "However, Kyle, I don't think it's a good idea to go out on a night like this" she looked back between me and Lyra, I chanced a glance and noticed the brilliant, beaming grin on her muzzle. I couldn't help but smirk myself, she looked so excited. Quo exhaled loudly and took on a more apprehensive expression. "Okay, you can have the guest bedroom upstairs tonight" she said before lookign down at the green unicorn. "As for you, missie, it's time for bed"

Lyra groaned again and nodded. The cyan mare smiled and began to walk up the flight of stairs, her daughter walking behind her in tow, rather reluctantly. I shook my head, this is kind of how I was too. I followed Quo and Lyra up to a room in a corridor, much like my own home. I found it adorable as I spotted, in big green lettering on the door read 'Lyra's Room'. Quo opened the door, Lyra brushing past her to the bed. She gleefully jumped on it depsite her attitude before and bounced a few more times before she found that the covers had been practically destroyed and hopped onto her matress on her back cutely. Quo sighed and gripped the blanket by her teeth and pulled them over Lyra's chest, she giggled adorably as Quo planted a single tender kiss on her forehead, mindful on her horn.

"Goodnight, sweetheart, I love you"

'Night, Kyle, I love you...

"I love you too, Mom"

...Love ya too, Mum

I shook my head. Blinked away the glassy fog in my eyes and smiled weakly at the two ponies. I stood just in the archway, watching with obvious joy. I looked down for a moment and grinned uneasily, not really seeing the floor as I stared at it.

"Kyle?" I looked up to see Lyra looking at me with curiousity etched onto her face.

"Y-yeah, Lyra?" I asked, trying to smile at her from across the room.

Lyra didn't say anything but she sat up on the bed and spread her forhooves out wide, pointing them indirectly at me. Her face was blank yet painted with affection and wanting. I chuckled, sniffing a little and made my way over to her. She reached up and grabbed around my neck, nestling her head into my neck. I reached around her and gave a gentle squeeze to her small, furry body. I could feel her lips curve into a smile at that.

We seperated and smiled happily at one another. "G'night, Lyra" I said quietly.

"Goodnight, Kyle" she returned and we broke away completely from one another. Quo nodded and gestured for me to follow her, we both smiled at Lyra who returned the expression and the cyan mare abruptly shut the door. There was a silence that followed after that. Quo stared quietly, solemnly into the door, her head tilted ever so slightly downwards.

"I haven't seen her do that in a while" she muttered to herself, probably forgetting that I was behind her. I remained silent, however and let the mare be for a bit, she obviously was in rather deep thought at that point.

Finally, she sighed again and turned around to face me. Her expression was blank. "Alright, come on then" she quickly said, starting down the hall. She opened a door a bit further up and gestured to the room with a hoof, I peered inside to find that the room was mostly a nightstand, a wardrobe and a bed. I smiled, this was all I really was going to need. "Make yourself at home, Kyle, I'll see you in the morning" she said. I turned to her and smiled appreciatively.

"Cheers, Quo, g'night" I saluted thankfully. She nodded and walked downstairs as I set down my sack of bits on the table. I slipped off my jacket, closed the door, pulled over the blankets, snuggled in and stared up at the ceiling.

Just another day in Equestria, I suppose. Could've been better, could've been worse.

That's when the thought of the little green filly popped into my head.

No, it was perfect.

As I started to close my eyes to sleep, listening to sound of the beating rain cascading onto the house....the sound of a door opening caught my attention. It was then promptly shut and was replaced by angry, stomping hoofsteps.

"And just where have YOU been?" I heard the voice of the cerulean mare speak up.

"Out" came the voice of a rather high male voice.

"Where exactly is 'out'!?" Quo asked frantically.

Ahh, shit, you've gotta be kiddin'.


They bickered and bickered and bickered...then yelled...and bickered some more. If they were downstairs, they were arguing pretty damn loudly. I tossed and turned, it was as if they were on a mission to prevent the entire town from sleeping with the shit they were pulling.

For fuck's sake!

I slammed my pillow into the sides of my head, blockign my ears as best as I could but to no avail. It wasn't until a sliver of light began to expand in the darkness of the room that I turned to the door. Standing there in the archway was little Lyra, peering into the room as a child would if they had a bad dream and went to their parents room. The tiny unicorn face was nearly enough to shatter my heart, it was painted in sorrow and hurt. Her golden eyes shone with unshed tears.

"Hey, Kyle...?" she began, I sat up on the bed and looked at her more intently, concerned.

"Yeah, Lyra?"

"Can...can I sleep with you tonight?" she asked, her lower lip quivering slightly.

What could I say?

"Sure, c'mon" I said, trying my best to smile warmly at her. It worked to some degree, she grinned a little and trotted over to me. With one swift pounce, she jumped onto the bed beside me and crawled over to the opposite side. I pulled over the blanket for her and she thanked me silently with a smile and rested her head on the plush pillow beside my own. I draped the blanket over her and let her rummage her hooves to get more comfortable. She hummed happily at that, the argument downstairs seemed to just fade away to both our ears by this point. She glanced at me with an emotion I couldn't recognise as I gently brushed a strand of white hair from her face....

...and kissed her forehead just below her horn.

"Buono Notte, Lyra" I uttered, still smiling at her. She had the same look on her. As I turned around so my back was facing her, I could almost feel the change in her eyes. I was about to lay my head down again but was stopped by a firm hoof holding my arm. I turned back to the unicorn, confusedly.

"K-Kyle..." she stammered, almost indaudibly before she quickly rushed me. Lyra wrapped her hooves around my chest and buried her muzzle into it, she knocked her side of the blanket as she did so. I gasped a little but instinctively put my arms genlty around her mid-section as best I could. The unicorn let out a quiet sob into my singlet at that and I gave a soft squeeze to try and calm her. "Th-they're doing it again..." she muttered sadly. I stroked her two-toned mane, trying my best to sooth the crying fiily.

"It's okay, Lyra, it's okay'

"Why do they have to fight so much now?"

"I don't know, parents fight, it's just what they do"

"D-did yours?"

"Yeah, all the time" I managed to stifle my anger by baring my teeth at those memories.

"I'm scared when they argue"

"I know, I was too"

We laid there for a few more minutes, the argument between the two ponies seemed to die down a bit. Most likely they had retired to their own bedroom, reluctantly laying next to eachother.

"Kyle?" Lyra piped up, drawing me out of my dazed state as I was about to sleep.

"Wha..? Yeah, Lyra?" I asked, yawning and rubbing my eyes with a free hand.

"Can you...sing me a lullaby?" she asked nervously.

I was stunned. Never had I been asked that before...but as I stared into her golden rimmed eyes in the darkness, what else could I do?

I complied silently and rummaged through my head to find an appropriate song. To my dismay, I couldn't think of any actual lullabies but rather a different sort of tune.I smirked as I remembered the lyrics before I began, quietly. Humming in between verses and making sure to drawl out my words and soothingly as possible for the young filly.

"We'll do it all
Everythin'
On our own

We don't need
Anythin'
Or anyone

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

The little mint unicorn snuggled into me even more so, her hooves holding me as tightly as her small muscles would manage. Her eyelids became noticably heavier as she stared up at me as I sang.

I don't quite know
How to say
How I feel

Those three words
Are said too much
They're not enough

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?

Lyra's body began to become more relaxed and limp on my chest. Her head drooped quietly as her eyes began to finally close. I stroked her soft two-toned mane and whispered the next few lyrics as softly as I could manage.

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old
Show me a garden that's burstin' into life

With that, the unicorn drifted off to sleep on my chest, snoring quietly as her small, furry body rose and fell with every breath. I smiled and hummed the last part of the song to myself, resting my chin of her mane.

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes
They're all I can see

Before drifting off myself, I gave the top of Lyra's mane a potent kiss and gave her a protective squeeze. "Goodnight, Lyra"

And that was my fourth day in Equestria.


I now sit in my empty cottage, lounging comfortably on my couch with a heavy novel in my hand and a Pony Cola in the other.

I know, the brand made me crack up aswell.

The book was titled; 'Heavy Rain' - by Golden Bridge. An intriguing tome, it had peaked my interest as it reminded me about a certain game about origami. Though, it was nothing of the sort. The story was more about hardships of the ponies that live in Manehatten and by hardships, it was really meant things like what snack to have at a party or some snobbish shit like that. However, below the higher class of uptight mares and colts rests and under society of hard-working, down to Earth ponies that are actually just as friendly as you'd expect. The story was quite typical, however.

Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy loses girl. Boy finds another girl. Boy gets back with girl. Boy lives with girl.

Anyway...

I set the book down, I didn't really feel like reading after today.

The last week was overall decent. I had spent it with, you guessed it, mostly the little green unicorn filly who practically treated me like a big brother rather than a best friend. According to her, really her only friend. She had said that she thought Applejack was an alright lass but didn't really connect with her the way she did me.

Her words, not mine.

Anyway, I did manage to hang out with Roseluck and on occasion, Applejack. Earlier on in the week, I had asked about why she or anypony else wasn't in school. Apparently, there was a week-long holiday for all the little fillies and colts, I was answered with a shrug by Lyra when I asked why. I left it at that.

Roseluck and I grew closer with every time we saw eachother, she wasn't as full-on as Lyra but neither was AJ. I was kind of thankful for that, one Lyra was enough to deal with and in a way...it made her special. I won't say that she doesn't get on my nerves sometimes but she never does it purposefully and with that bright, beaming grin that she seemed to constantly wear around me.

Now, I kind of think of her as a little sister.

Despite some of my 'visions' that I have at night, that's really what we were, neither of us had to say anything and neither did anypony in town that were actually getting acquainted with me. Life was getting better everyday it seemed though every time I'd see a grimace of somepony or an uneasy look, I'd try my best to ignore them. It was getting easier, actually.

After all, I was stuck here, wasn't I? If they had a problem, they had to change, not I.

Everyday, it gets harder for me to remember that this was inititally a world based on a cartoon for children. A show that I loved and loved the community of grown viewers that went against the norm to enjoy it, I was apart of that. Now though? I think of it more like a fresh start, a world where I can make a completely new name for myself, in more ways than one.

It's hard to word it properly, really but I reckon you're all smart enough to get the jist of it.

Anyway, there's still one thing that both bugs and relieves me...The Rake.

I haven't seen him all week, every night I lock my door, I've already bolted down all the windows in the cottage and every night, I'm apprehensive to sleep. Either, he was planning something, stalking from afar, waiting to make his move...or he had forgotten about me.

I knew the latter was unlikely.

No, no, there's no way he'd forget. I know it. I know he's still out there and I know he still wants me but I can't tell when, how and where he will decide to attack. The fact that he's left me alone for so long is a small comfort, however. Though, I wish I could say the same for my dreams. I'm having less of them though, it seems, they're less frequent now and don't last very long but they're still there most nights. I don't remember too many nightmares, thankfully but the visions just confuse me too much for me to actually remember them.

Anyway...

I had spent what little time I had to myself around town reading newspapers about job options and whatnot but had really come up with little to nothing solid enough.

Even today went by with little to show for with the search. By that, I mean there was start, a hope but nothing solid.

It was apparently the last day of the short holiday foals had off school, that was another thing that I was happy about. Nopony knew my age or much about me other than I was an alien and a friend to some of the filles around town. That was who I was, really, that's what I was known as. This morning, I just taking a regular walk through Ponyville, I was pleased to see the little attention I recieved for doing so, it seemed the novelty was wearing off better then I thought. Anyway, I was passing by one of the small iconic shops when somepony stepped out of the door and onto the street. I could barely tell if actually was a pony that walked out and not simply a stack of bags filled with assorted items and materials. All I could manage to depict was the pair of white coated hooves protruding from beneath them. They swayed uneasily, almost cartoonishly and I a heard a 'whoa' of anxiety resonate from them. It sounded femnine and...familiar.

"Uhh, 'scuse me? Lass?" I asked. The bags turned to me, they were nearly taller than when stacked on eachother like that.

"Y-yes?" Yep, that was definitely a filly behind those bags.

"Would you...like a hand with that?" the voice let out a gasp of excitement.

"Oh, yes, thankyou. Thankyou!" she replied. I began to steadily remove a few of the bags from the pile she was carrying and began to load myself up. "I'm so sorry to trouble you" she said earnestly but she made a quick pause before saying; "I'm sorry but did you say 'hand'?" she asked. I sighed.

"Yeah, I did and it's no trouble, shela" I said, taking yet another box from her and craddling it under my arm.

"I'm afraid I don't know any 'shela', my name is Rarity"

I nearly dropped everything when she said. My mouth, however was permitted to as I turned back and caught my first glimpse at her face. Pure-white fur carpeted the skin around her bright, shining sapphire eyes, compliment by three consecutive dark lashes on her upper lids. Her violet mane was curled at both ends, less so than in her adult persona but still noticable with her small protruding horn almost keeping it to one side.

Yep, that was Rarity and yep, she was a filly. It was filly Rarity...and she was a-freaking-dorable.

"WhaAaA!" she gasped, much like she did in the 'Sonic Rainboom' episode. The last two bags she held in her hooves were frantically thrown in the air in shock. I dropped what I held in my hands safely on the ground and instinctively caught them in each palm. I glanced down at the snow-coloured filly in mild exasperation, she put a hoof to her chest to still herself before looking back up at me with an uneasy smile. "T-thankyou" she managed. I rolled my eyes, setting one of the bags down and moving back to collect the others.

"Hakuna Matata"

"Pardon?"

"It means 'no worries', Rarity"

"Ah, I see" she replied, she paused for a moment. "So...I suppose you're that strange new someone running around town now?"

She makes a horrible first impression. I rolled my eyes again. "That would be me, yeah" I replied. "So, ya gonna tell me where to carry your bags to?" I asked, more annoyance laced in my voice thatn I'd like.

Rarity didn't seem to notice though. "Oh, why yes, thankyou, Mister..."

"Mercer" I answered before a slight grin worked it's way onto my face. "But my mates just call me 'Kyle', lass"

She blanched. "Your MATES?!" she gasped, her eyes widened and began to shift nervously, her mouth dropped as far as possible.

I stared at her, confusedly for a moment. I shot up as I made the connection and if my hands weren't full, I'd have promptly slapped my face. "Not like that! 'Mates' is just a term for 'friends' where I'm from, Rarity" I deadpanned.

Her expression softened with a relieved smile at that. "Oh, thank goodness, for a moment there, I thought you were implying that-"

"It's fine, lass" I quickly cut her off. "Anyway, where do you want these?" I gestured to the bags in my arms.

"Oh! Right, yes, uhh, follow me, please" she answered before quickly trotting off. I followed without question.

How old is she to have immediately thought of THAT?!

By now, I wasn't paying attention to the route or the town for that matter, I just blindly followed the little white filly who lead the way for me to get rid of these bags. "So, what is all this, anyway?"

"Oh, just some items I'm going to need for the upcoming school play" she answered, rather uninterested. "I'm not in the play myself but my teacher has requested for me to design the costumes for the actors"

"That play wouldn't happen to involve food, would it?" I asked.

"Why yes, I forget what it's called but that's hardly important, for me, at least" she said. "How did you know?"

I grinned devilishly in an I-know-more-than-you kind of look. "Lucky guess" I answered. Hmmm, if that's the case, how long before Dash performs the Sonic Rainboom? Definitely wanna be around when THAT happens

"Well, you're quite fortuitous then, aren't you, mister. Mercer" she complimented.

"Just 'Kyle' is fine, lass" I grumbled. "And thanks, I guess in some ways, I am quite fortunate, with all that's goin' on in my life, lately"

"You know" she began in a light-hearted tone. "You're not at all like someponies make you out to be"

I scowled a little at that. "And what have ponies being makin' me out to be, then?"

She waved a hoof, dismissively "It's not all ponies but I'm aware that some have...less than positive opinions about you"

"Well, I kinda already knew that"

"Yes, well, then there are some fillies like Lyra, I swear all she talks about is you" she shook her head with a slight grin.

"Lyra? Ya know her, Rarity?"

"Not all that well but from our short conversation, she thinks rather highly of you" she said, managing a smile.

I smirked. "Well, that shela might as well be family, reckon I ain't had a friend like that since...well, ever" Rarity said nothing to that and insated, simply enlargened her smile and nodded up at me. We walked for a few more minutes in companiable silence after that, I didn't even notice the home we were approachin until she stopped, turned to me and smiled. She gestured with a hoof to the building and I looked up to see it.

Well I'll be Damned

Carousel Boutique...well, not quite yet, it wasn't. The building was almost in every way the same, only a few details were missing. The flag that sat atop the grand spire was missing, the pony figures that hung around the merry-go-round tower were all but non-existent. The checkered and savanah patterns that decorated the home in pink and blue were also not there, just an opaque cyan made up most of the building. The hearts and assorted diamonds weren't nearly in the amount that they were...or rather would be. In time.

"We're here" she sang musically as she trotted to the door. With a stern hoof, she pried it open and walked inside, she turned back to smile at me and beckon me enter. I smirked thankfully and ducked my head under the archway, the bags getting heavier in my arms all the while.

"Where do you want me to put these?" I asked, glancing around the plaza, or rather, the foyer, as it would appear. It was the exact same building only...more akin to a home than a business, as would've been obvious. The walls and furnishings weren't alighned with pink and porclain accents, which made me far more comfortable, last thing I wanted was even more of my masculinity gone.

"Ummm, follow me upstairs would you? I'd like to just have it all in my room, please" she smiled again and wordlessly took off through the house. I followed her up a flight of steps and down to the farthest door on the hall by the top of it. Either I'm way more out of shape than I thought or these bags are ACTUALLY gettin' heavier. Rarity opened the door and gestured for me to step in first. "If you could just set them down by the desk, that'd be lovely"

Wow, she really was mature for a filly, ay?

I did as she asked and placed them down, carefully, gave a quick stretch, feeling my bones snap back into place and turned to smile at her. "Well, there ya go, lass"

"Thankyou, Kyle, I hope it wasn't too much trouble"

"Ain't nothin' of the sort, Rarity, 'twas a pleasure" I waved a hand dismissively at her. "It was nice to meet ya, Rarity"

She grinned shyly at that. "Oh, well, thankyou and it was great to finally make you acquaintance too, Kyle"

"Cheers, Rarity" I scratched the back of my neck. "Anyway, 'reckon I best be off, love"

"Alright then" she perked up as she trotted back to the door. I walked by her and stepped out before turning and regarding her with a smile.

"Kay, then, Rarity, have a good one" I said, waving briefly before heading back into the streets. Before I was out of ear shot, I heard her call out to me.

"Goodbye, Kyle" she saluted, closing the door to the house behind me. I shook my head and grinned.

And that's how I met Rarity.

Feeling a familiar emptiness around the ol' stomach, I decided to had on to Sugarcube Corner. When I approahed though, it was obvious that the place was rather packed, laughing and idle, friendly chatting was all one could hear out on the street. I suppose it was around about that hour, anyway. However, when I stepped through door, my bare feet graced the hard wooden floor with such welcome but that aside, I felt rather uneasy.

Almost everypony silmutaneously ceased their discussion and turned to me, stared at me with...rather blank gazes. It was only for a minute, a few moments before they casually went about themselves again but it was enough for me. With a hint of shame, I flipped my hood on and walked to the counter. To my surprise, a light blue mare with a more rounded build was behind it. Mrs. Cake was operating the stand today, it seems and even more to my surprise, she smiled warmly at me when I reached her. That was a small comfort, at least.

"Good afternoon, sir" she greeted cheerfully.

"Back 'atcha, lass" I replied, a smile of my working onto my face.

"What can I get you?" she asked.

"Oh, uhh, do you sell drinks here?"

"No, sorry"

"Ah, well, just a chocolate-chip muffin will do me, thanks" she nodded and dove under the counter to pick one up and hoofed it to me. "Cheers" I said, reaching into the bag in my pocket and pulling out a few bits before placing them on the counter.

"You're very welcome, Mr.Mercer" she replied happily.

"You're rather cheery today, ay?" I asked, rather snarkly but smiling all the while as I took a bite out of the baked goodie.

"Hard not to be cheery most days, Mr.Mercer" she stated, matter-of-factly.

Perhaps I should've gone with Kenway...much catchier...not to mention I'm wearing a white hoodie...nah, not a fan of alliteration names.

"If ya say so, Mrs. Cake" I said before pausing. "Say, how'd ya know my name? Don't reckon I gave it to ya or ya husband"

"Oh, word travels fast around Ponyville, hon" she began. "But it's mostly one filly or another coming in and telling just about everyone who will listen, all about you"

"One filly or another, ay?"

"Yep, mostly a little green unicorn, cute one she is" she commented. "Though one time, an Earth-pony filly came in here spinning the same yarn"

I grinned after swallowing another bite. "Ah, those two, yep, reckon I couldn't ask for better mates"

The cyan mare suddenly took on a more...uncomfortable expression. "I'm sorry, did you say that those two fillies are you're-"

"Friends" I quickly interupted. "Damnit, that's the second time today, look, it's just another word for 'friend' where I'm from, alright?" I explained.

"Oh" she let out. "Then what do you call the pony who you're in a relationship with?" she asked, quizzically.

I chuckled a bit at that. "Well, first off, we don't date ponies where I'm from" I began. "We can't, necessarily, they're not...sapient, unlike you folks here" she looked rather surprised at that. "But to answer your question...and being politically correct about it, lads and lasses just refer to their partner as a 'girlfriend' or 'boyfriend', I suppose" I took another bite of the muffin. "Course we got marriage and all that jazz but that's hardly your question now, ain't it?"

Before either of us could get another word in. The tiny little accented voice of a young filly broke out from behind me. "Howdy, Kyle"

Man, if I didn't know better, I'd swear that was Applebloom right there...or Hell, Michelle Creber, even.

I turned and looked down at the orange filly. I quickly smiled as I saw Applejack's wide beam. "Howdy, AJ, what brings ya here, lass?"

Her head fell slightly at that and soon, her hoof started absentmindly drawing circles in the wood beneath her. "Oh, uhh...lookin' for you?"

Was that a question? Certainly sounded like it...By the way...am I gettin' taller?

"Alright, then, what do ya need, Applejack?" I crouched down so we were face-to-face.

"Well, Ah need t' talk t' ya 'bout somethin'." she admitted, rather shyly, in fact.

"Uh, sure, thing, lass" I answered with uncertainty. I looked over at the cyan mare and nodded, a gesture she returned in understanding. I turned back to the orange filly and smiled warmly at her. "C'mon, let's grab a table" I said, gesturing for her to follow me to a nearby booth.

Applejack was the first to speak when we both sat down at it. "Thankya, Kyle, Ah didn't know who else to talk to"
she stated glumly.

"No worries, Jackie, now tell me what's eatin' ya" she chuckled lightheartedly at the nickname, briefly.

"Ah..." she began, solemnly. "Ah can't afford to go"

"Huh?"

"The train t' Manehatten, Ah don't have 'nough bits for a ticket" she hung her head low at that.

"Oh" I let out, nervously. "Well...how much ya got on ya now?"

"Twenty-three" she answered simply.

"And how much does it cost?"

"Forty-five" she replied, her head now buried in the wooden surface of the table.

"Jesus, that's a bit rough" I commented.

Applejack yanked her head up. "Ah know!" she whined miserably before slamming her face back in the table. I leaned back on the stool I sat on and just watched her sit there for a few moments, contemplating. The real question on my mind was that why had she come straight to me? Then I remembered that I was probably the only one who knew about her secret plot to leave the farm and Ponyville altogther.

Course I knew that before but I was probably the only one she's told, directly.

I craned my neck slightly to the side, staring at her as I felt my brow lower sadly. "You really wanna go live there, ay?"

Applejack looked up but only just to rest her chin on the table. "Course Ah do, Ah know it's where Ah'm meant to be, Ah j'st know it" she answered glumly.

No, it's not, Applejack

I wanted to tell her, she looked so miserable sitting there, all this time, I had just thought she had made a quick decision to leave Ponyville, which in turn would lead to her Cutie Mark when she came back. That, however, apparently wasn't the case, this filly had her heart set on this escapade of hers and I knew that when a child wants something that badly, there's not much that will satisfy them other than that.

It was on that note that an idea came to mind. I looked down at my right-jacket pocket and caught sight of the glistening, yet slowly depleting treasure that Celestia had bestowed upon me days before.

Don't do it, you know you shouldn't.

The voice was my own inside my head, bringing what words of wisdom it could. I paid it little mind. I steadily reached for the bag.

Kyle, think about this. At no point does anypony mention a human suddenly popping up in the Everfree Forest, let alone does Applejack mention that a human helped her get to Manehatten.

I paused at that. I suppose that was a fair point and it was right. Literally, at any time excluding the movie, there was no talk of anything even remotely related to humans.

Let it go, don't get involved. Just let time be and you'll be fine.

I looked back at the small orange filly, her head hung in sorrow and her eyes were filled to the brim with longing, staring into nothing.

Even if so, even if she were to go a tad earlier...The Sonic Rainboom will still happen at the same time, giving her what she wants won't change that, she might be gone longer but what harm could it do...right?

I nodded determinely, I didn't care anymore, all I wanted was to see her happy.

"Applejack?" I quietly uttered.

She tilted her head up to meet my eye. "Yuh huh?"

I smiled and pulled out a rough thirty bits out of the purse and displayed them in my open palm. "I know it's more than enough but I reckon you could do with the change"

Applejack said nothing and instead just stared wide-eyed at the money in my hand. After a few moments, her eyes shone with unshed joyous tears and cried out happily as she jumped me. The adorable orange filly quickly wrapped her tiny hooves around my chest and pushed her muzzle into the crook of my neck. Setting the bits down on the table, I hugged her back, giving her soft coat an appreciative brush under my palms. I could practically feel the wide grin on her face as she embraced me.

"Thankya, Kyle, thankya" she repeated several times.

"No worries, AJ" I dismissed, smiling.

I really hope you know what you're doing here, kid

So did I...


I reached out and grabbed the glass bottle in my hand, quickly chugging down a swig of the all-too familiar but revised drink. It was quite literally Coke but I wasn't going to point that out to anypony in particular, not like it mattered anyway. I had something to drink that I've always had to drink and I was content with that.

Putting the half-conusmed beverage to the side, I rested my head in my hand, staring into the space within the cottage.
Applejack had quickly taken off to the farm after I gave her the money. She gave a toothy grin as she practically shouted; "I got some packin' t' do!"

It was cute really, how she literally was only going to bring a picture of her uncle and aunty orange in a makeshift bag made of a red and white checkered blanket. That was always a trend in cartoons, wasn't it?

Heh, in cartoons...wasn't that my predicament? I certainly wasn't two-dimensional and neither was anypony else, it was easy to make out the texture of anypony's coat and plain to see that if you were to circle around them, it wouldn't be like an animation skipping a frame to show you different body positions.

Try to think of that one scene at the end of Twilight's BBBFF track.

Of course, that odd outline they all shared was still present, not exactly sure how though. I'm not going to ask about it, they'd probably condemn me or something just as horrible if I mentioned something they all seemed blatantly unaware of.

Anyway, AJ gave another quick hug and rocketed out the bakery as fast as her tiny hooves could carry her. I just chuckled in her wake.

"You did a good thing there, Mr. Mercer" I perked up at that and turned to see Mrs. Cake standing a little ways beside me. I sighed and rubbed the bridge of my nose.

"Yeah, I dunno, I hope it was"

"What makes you say that?" she asked.

I gave her a harder look. "Is it right to rob a family of one of their own?" I sat back down in the seat Applejack took.

"Oh, come now" she began with that same cheery smile. "It's not as if she'd abandon her family, from what I just saw, she's mighty happy to living up with her Aunt and Uncle"

I raised an eyebrow at her. "Hang on, how did you know about-?"

"She comes in here sometimes and likes to have someone to talk to" she cut me off.

"Then why didn't she come to you first?"

Mrs.Cake rubbed her chin with a hoof in thought. "Don't know" she finally said. "But let me tell you, that there filly must think the world of you for something like that" I looked up at the supportive smile she wore on her muzzle, something that grew a thin grin to spread on my face. She gently but assuringly patted my back with her hoof. "It'll be alright, you'll see" she beamed once more and walked back behind the counter.

I chuckled at that. "Cheers, Mrs. Cake" I thanked. "Now, seriously, I need a drink" I muttered to myself. I stood up and made my way to the door before stopping and looking back to the mare. "Say, do ya mind if I check in tomorrow? There's somethin' I wanted to ask ya, both of ya, I mean"

She nodded. "Sure, not a problem, Mr. Mercer" she gave a friendly wave in salutations.

"Just 'Kyle' fine, shela" I finally got out before opened the door and walked to a nearby place that was thankfully open and that I knew did served drinks.


I got home not too long ago, a racing mind all the while speeding in my head. Deciding it was best to chill for the rest of the night, I grabbed a random book from the assorted case, got comfy on the couch and made a night of it.

Now as I sit here pondering over my thoughts. In this big, empty and silent cottage, there's not much to do but think. I don't know how Fluttershy did it. Maybe I should get a pet?

No...no, I'm not ready yet. I'm not ready to love another animal again.

Anyway, was getting late by then, Celestia had already lowered the sun and performed her sister's duty for the night. I can only imagine the hurt she must feel everyday because of that. Making sure the house was secure with a quick sweep of the interior, I checked the door; locked. Just like the windows and just the way I liked it. I was dearly thankful they sold locks at a fair price here in Ponyville, the shopkeeper gave me an uncertain look but when she saw my dead-pan stare, she said little to voice her opinion.

I wish I could've slept without feeling like I was being watched from afar or the ever-growing fear of what I might see while I sleep.

Or if I wake at all.

Feeling as satisfied as I could be with the house. I nodded determinely to myself and walked upstairs, pracitcally throwing myself on the bed. With a content sigh, I closed my eyes and within half an hour, I slipped into unconsciousness.

Author's Note:

This, actually, goes on record for my longest written chapter.

*Sigh* Apologies for the Long-as-fuck pause there, mates and mares. Would've been up a week ago but I was anhilating AC: Black Flag. My school is pretty lay back but it still takes up my time.

Also, just flat out writing everyday is not healthy. I write because it's fun and gives a sense of acomplishment, if I'm too tired to write or think then I'm not having fun writing. It's a hobbie, not a chore.

Anyway, feedback is very much appreciated and if this chapter comes off bad or anything of the sort to you, this was really just something to fill the gap between the last chapter and the one comin' up, just to give you all a feel of how things will play out during the (Undisclosed) amount of time.

Cheers, lads and lasses.

Days Go By - Keith Urban