• Published 18th May 2013
  • 8,408 Views, 327 Comments

Never Be The Same - Kickback



We've all been hurt but how we survive is what makes us who we are

  • ...
36
 327
 8,408

Chapter 3 - The Best of Us

I gotta another confession to make.
I'm your fool.
Everyone's got their chains to break.
Holdin' you.
Were you born to resist? Or be abused?
Is someone gettin' the best, the best, the best, the best of you?


“What? Why?”

“Why do yah’ll care? Yah’ll don’t know me” she replied, aggressively. I so wanted to tell her she was wrong, that I DID know her, more than she does in fact.

Oh, the things I could tell her, half of it she wouldn’t believe despite being the truth.

Even as I thought about this, the reason that she felt this way was unclear to me then. I decided to stick with the whole ‘lost sapient creature’ thing and continued.

“No, I don’t…but why would you want to run away? What about Granny Smith and Big Macin-” I silenced myself, mentally slapping myself silly across the face for a such a comment. I got the reaction I expected; suspicion.

“Now ain’t that funny…” she begins as she rises to her hooves. “First yah’ll know mah name and NOW yah’ll know mah brother’s name AND mah Granny…” she eyed me with so much intensity, I swear, she must’ve been kryptonian because she was burning a hole in my head. I was practically shaking, I hadn’t been careful so far and it was looking to be my downfall. I backed up and rose slightly so I appeared taller and hence less domineer to her. Thank Celestia I managed to think of something to say.

“I said your farm was LEGENDARY, so…that’s how” I answered uneasily. Don’t get me wrong, all this lying was starting to bug me and not to mention building a rough and jagged path for me. The more I lied, the more I had to explain and the more I slipped out something I shouldn’t, the more I had to lie.

Applejack just stared at me with her big, emerald, narrowed eyes for a long moment, I returned the look with one that said ‘Don’t hurt me!’.

Finally, she looked me once over, shifting her eyes up and down my crouched body before her expression softened.

“Ya certainly are a strange one, pard’ner” she commented. As soon as she said that, I lost an ache I didn’t even know I had. I chuckled at her in response which pretty much summed up anything alternatively I could’ve said. She seemed to accept it at least. “But still, yah’ll have no business with what Ah decide to do” there it is, Applejack’s famous stubbornness. Even when she was this young, she was still the same orange mare. I decided to pry in my own little devious way plus I respected her and hence, her decisions.

“I guess not but have you thought this through? I mean…” I trailed off.

“Ah’m sick and tired of livin’ on a farm, Ah’m gonna live with mah Aunt and Uncle Orange in Manehatten” her reply was almost prideful, I’d imagine she’d been planning this for a while.

Wait, Aunty and Uncle Orange? Why are all ponies’ names based around nouns, verbs and adjectives? Manehatten? Are you serious?…Hang on…

Of Course!

Applejack is a filly with no cutie mark and wants to live with her aunty and uncle in the city. The revelation caused my mind to practically explode in realisation, my eyes widened as a small smile made it’s way onto my face. Applejack apparently noticed, she remained standing as I sat back down so she looked down at me with confusion.

“What’s got you excited?” she asked, I looked back at her and relaxed a little.

“Heh, nothing…so, you’re moving to the big city, ay?” I responded, she grinned.

“Eeyup” I chuckled again, this whole way of saying ‘yep’ must be biological or it rubbed off on her from her brother, he was older and around most of the time.

“Well, I support your decision but…say goodbye to your family here, kay?” I said, she looked puzzled before nodding. I couldn’t tell what the nod meant, was it one of recognition, respect or what? I must ask her about that some time, it didn’t seem like a regular nod is all.

Maybe I’m just being silly.

Before I knew it, the great yellow sphere in the sky was barely cascading it’s orange glow on the land and hovering just on the horizon, the sun’s light pierced through the surrounding trees, creating slender shadows over the orchard. I looked at the small orange filly before speaking.

“Hey, Applejack?”

“Yeah?” she answered.

“It’s getting pretty dark out, maybe you should head on back to the farmhouse” I said, she looked back at me and her expression faltered as she gazed up at the sky.

“A-alright, it was nice talking to ya” she said with a tilt of her head and a hoof gesture I related to a salute. I smiled at her as I rose to my full height.

“Likewise, goodnight, AJ” I said before she turned around and starting trotting further into the orchard, towards the house. I looked back down at the grass beneath me as I slowly eased myself down, resting my back on the tree and sitting down on the ground. I let out a deep sigh as the light became all the more dimmer with each passing second, Celestia must’ve been in a hurry to raise the moon.

The solitary silence was enough to kick-start my mind into a previously boarded train of thought.

Here I was, on the farm I had only seen through a screen and read about…on a screen. Nothing but the clothes on my back and sufficient knowledge as to where I am but not at all of how I got here. What was that thing? What was that thing in the forest? Is this same Equestria I know or some different one? What do I do next?

To all of these questions, I had no answer and I desperately craved them. Instead, I decided to look at the facts and hopefully form a plan.

I had half a mind that the residents of this world, at least the adult ones would brandish me a strange new creature to be feared and hence to be captured and experimented on all the while being hated by everypony that saw or even knew about me. How would Lyra look at me like that? I can already picture it.

Then again, nopony decided to start a riot when Gilda came into the frame, granted they probably should’ve, just to teach that beaked-face bitch a lesson but I digress. According to Pinkie in ‘Gryphon the brush-off’ nopony knew too much about her race, say for Rarity of course but nopony immediately subjected her to being a reason to wreak havoc. That thought made me a little more optimistic and my mind wandered to a better outcome.

If I couldn’t find a way back home and I were to be stuck here, I could just imagine what life would be like for me. Here I was in a past-tense Equestria, so many possibilities. I could just live here in Ponyville, build a house, maybe look for a job or just do some free-lance. I smiled at the almost dream-like future I imagined. There really wasn’t anything
undream-like though about this, about all of this but once again, I digress.

Same goes for Spike, I mean, he was a fire-breathing dragon. I don’t know much about dragons, let alone the ones here but according to Twilight, ponies know next to NOTHING about dragons and could’ve easily mistaken him for a pony-eating killing machine. Maybe that’s a bit exaggerated but think about it. A completely unfamiliar species enters town and everything’s fine apparently, I might’ve not been native to the land but it made sense to suspect a fair bit of tolerance.

That is of course, ponies were always tolerating. I believe I snickered on the outside when the thought of meeting the small drake in person came to mind, perhaps I’d take the piss out of his race with a little bit of Unrelenting Force.

Must take note.

My mind snapped back to the present, almost giving me a headache as my ears caught an alarming sound. It was almost like a series of quickened footsteps that seemed to cease as soon as I was brought back to awareness. My blood ran cold. I looked about to find the source of the noise, there was nothing, how long had I been day-dreaming? It was already dark. My ears caught a muffled cry but for some reason, my body refused to act. Instead, I laid there, resting up against the same apple tree I had harvested, looking into a shadowy abyss. Then came the sound of fast hoof-steps, I recognised the quick beat of pounding against the ground. It was all I heard while playing with Lyra earlier, that and her giggling.

Still, I didn’t move…but something did and was. Just faintly audible under the now slowing hoofsteps was a soft tapping noise against the ground, around about three metres away from me. It stopped, my eyes dragged towards a tree adjacent to my position, every hair on my neck stood to attention as I caught a glimpse of a figure. Short in form, hunched over and sticking it’s disgusting head out from behind the very same tree I was staring at. I felt eyes on me but didn’t see anything, just blackness and a thicker shade of black formed into a menacing, grotesque shape of a creature. THAT creature. Did it follow me? I didn’t care, I was petrified as I caught an image of it’s silhouetted body, long, bony limbs…

“Hey”

Pale-bare skin…

“Hey!”

Black pits for eyes and-

“HEY!!” My eyes bolted towards the new source of sound. There, stood Applejack, still a filly and gazing at me with those big, emerald eyes that hinted of concern.

Why?

I looked down at myself to see I had sub-consciously stood up and was now backed up against the tree. My heart was pounding, my hands were shaking and I was sweating, I chanced a glance up towards the tree to find nothing was there but the tree and the surrounding darkness. I looked back towards the filly, she looked almost uneasy as she gazed back at me.

“Applejack!?” I asked frantically, trying to calm myself. She seemed surprised at my outburst.

“What happened, pard’ner? Yah’ll look like ya saw a ghost!”

Had I? I gave one look at the tree, still nothing was off about it, I turned back to AJ.

“Uhhh, no, no, I’m fine…” hang on “What are you doing out here?” I asked, realising that she hadn’t gone home and instead was with me in the darkness…with that thing. The lack of spotting it again calmed me some, made me think that perhaps I was just seeing things but it wasn’t very convincing.

“Well, Ah saw yah’ll just sitting there and Ah was wandering what ya were doing, Ah thought you’d be going home” she answered, just the sound of her voice was enough to get my head straight. Although, what was I going to tell her?

“I was-uhhhh, I was…” that was not an explanation.

“Have you…do yah’ll even have a home?” the way she was talking to me made me feel like a lost puppy but in all reality I sort of was and her assumption was right, I didn’t have a place to go. I didn’t think about where I was going to sleep tonight, probably should’ve.

“I-, no” I decided to be truthful with her, being dishonest around Applejack, at least all the time, didn’t seem right somehow. After my words escaped my lips, her face hinted of sympathy and a thoughtful expression donned on her features. Her head rose up to meet my confused look, she grinned at me.

“Come on then” she quickly said, waving a hoof over her shoulder, a gesture I recognised. I returned her smile with yet another confused gaze.

“What?” I asked.

“Follow me, yah’ll can sleep in the barn tonight!” she replied, to my surprise, quite happily. I thought it over for a moment but remained stubborn.

“Nah, that’s okay AJ, I wouldn’t wanna-”

“Pard’ner, you’re coming with me” she cut me off sternly, once again, I had forgotten that this WAS Applejack. The two of us fell silent for a long moment, me trying to think of a decent excuse to not be her skeleton in the closet and most likely, she was silently thinking her decision over herself. Finally, I came to a conclusion and besides, there was no way I would sleep out here in the dark if I could help it and this little filly just offered a great alternative.

I had no idea if what I had been seeing today was real and I was not about to take any chances…at least, yet. I sighed before speaking.

“Okay but only for one night, alright? Then I’m out of your mane” my reply had a rather unexpected impact on her. She smiled but more weakly than before, a hint of disappointment, perhaps? Yet another thing I need to ask her about. That is if she even remembers our first meeting, I’d imagine she would, not everyday in Equestria something like me happens. Not to mention that not everyday on Earth, something happens like what happened to me. Her smiled though, was one of recognition, she nodded and turned around, beginning to trot towards where I last saw her.

Did she even leave? Was I imagining everything that just happened? I know I wasn’t dreaming, I had proved that before.

The two of us walked the grounds of the orchard during the youngest part in the night. Our trek was silent but a comfortable one, every now and again, she’d glance up or I’d glance down and we’d share a smile. The moment was close to perfect for me, she probably thought nothing too much about it but seeing and knowing her before-hand, I was genuinely star-struck. It never struck me until then that she was much like her sister, in age and personality, it must be the years of experiencing the world for what it is that shaped the AJ I knew.

Finally, we passed a tree line and the image of two tall structures caught my eye. One was a genuine farmhouse, a silo to the side and what looked like a fence bordered a square around a what I can best describe as a kennel. The house’s lights were lit and running, the building was at the end of a pathway travelling through the orchard, up the hill and a small intersection cut off towards the front door. It was everything I’d seen before. The other structure was a thicker one, less detailed and in the darkness, I could see a crimson paint decorating it. This was apparently my bed for tonight and I couldn’t ask for a better one.

Well, maybe I could but that would be not only rude but rather awkward.

Applejack trotted into the lead and beckoned me to follow, an action I graciously acted. She came to a halt at the large door and looked up at me. I smiled down at her and carefully pushed open the door on the left inward with an extended arm. The two of us entered the barn to be greeted by darkness, nothing too unexpected. I heard her hoofsteps carry off away from me, I looked to where I saw her last with anticipation.

I heard the a rustic squeak before the area around the filly was illuminated by a soft glow. I gazed at her and found a lantern, firmly grasped between her teeth, she looked back at me for a moment before walking further into the darkness, the lantern casting unsteadying shadows to appear. AJ walked until she stopped, put the lantern down and turned to me.

“Alright, Kyle, you can just stay in here tonight” she said with a smile. I looked to the right and noticed a small alcove, the archway was narrow but the room itself looked more than welcoming. I turned back to the small pony with a smirk.

“Okay, Applejack, goodnight” she nodded and trotted pass me, leaving the lantern on for me. I watched her approach the door before she steadily pushed it open with a hoof and paused. Applebl-…Applejack looked back towards me and gave a sweet, little grin as she turned on her axis and gripped the door with a hoof, still staring at me. Our eyes locked for a moment, I was confused but remained silent, finally, she spoke. An over-used phrase and salutation but the way she said it and WHO was saying it just made it seem special for some reason.

“Goodnight, Kyle”

The door squeaked with her retreat to the outside before closing, creating a slight click sound. I looked down at the ground and grinned, chuckling slightly. With a happy sigh, I shook my head as I trudged to collect the lantern and make my way towards the alcove. I walked through the arch and to my surprise, there was a medium sized cot just there in the corner, I breathed an audible sigh as I stepped to it. I rested the lantern on the ground as I climbed into the makeshift bed and stared up at the ceiling, the faint glow of the lantern providing a comforting light.

My mind was surprisingly at ease, no questions, no worries, no fear, just a hazy exhausted intention of sleep. Also to my surprise, the first thing that I noticed about the time of day was the lack of noise. Normally, at this hour, I’d hear two loud voices bickering with each other, muffled slightly by a door. I grimaced at the thought of my caretakers fighting, it seemed like every night for the past nine years, I had no idea as to how they weren’t divorced yet. Hell, maybe they were by then, maybe Equestria’s time moves incredibly slower than Earth time. Regardless, I was tired.

I tried to stay awake, just to remember the day and smile at the facts, just to reminisce and imagine but alas my body had other plans. My eyes groggily shut and soon I was relaxed immensely before the gracious hands of sleep cradled me into a dreamy embrace.

I awoke with a start to a confusing sight. Not only was I not in the bed, I wasn't in the barn, in fact, I don't think I was even on the farm anymore.

Of course I wasn't.

Surprisingly, the first thing that caught my attention was the comfortability. I looked down to see that I was sitting on what looked like a small bed, a real bed, made for sapient creatures. It's unfamiliarity was almost unnerving, my hands spread to the sides as I sat up, frantically looking around at the new surroundings. To my surprise, I was no longer wearing my singlet but still with the unzipped white jacket coating my sides and arms. I then took note of the decorations littering the room, the blanket sprawled out on the bed was warm, soft and light blue in colour. The walls were painted a light green and the floor was graced with red carpeting. The room seemed to be a bedroom as I spotted several drawers, cabinets and wardrobes in various places in the room.

I looked behind me to find something weird. Two pillows were placed neatly at the head of the bed but to the left was a night stand, standing on it was a turned-off lamp, you know, one of those touch-based ones. Below the bulb of it though was a picture, a photograph.

My eyes widened at what is was of.

There, in the small, rectangular wooden frame was a rather tall human male and a female pony. The pony was a youthful looking unicorn, a minty green coat and a white and lighter green mane. Her eyes were beautiful pools of golden that were half opened in her position, rearing up on her hind legs to reach up to the human's face. The human was young, long, very long black hair travelled down his head, passed his neck and faintly ending at the shoulders. Dark brown eyes focused on the mare beside him, he wore a white, hooded jacket and a black piece of clothing underneath it. The human smiled down at the mare, looking at her in his peripheral vision.

Sweet Celestia! It was me and Lyra!

I looked back around the room to see a small golden harp, a 'lyre'? I think, on display on top of the tall wardrobe. My eyes continued to widen as I looked back at the photo.

It was me, standing there, smiling down at the mare beside me that I held close with one arm. I was taller and sported a gruff stubble complimenting my face, how old was I? I brought a hand to my mouth and noticed the grown, soft beard gracing my face and I noticed that I was a tad bit taller than I remember. Nevertheless, I mentally fist-pumped at the fact of having such a thing.

Lyra leaned up, her face was close to mine and from I could guess, her lips were puckered. She kissed me. On the cheek.

"Lyra?" I whispered to myself in confusion.

"Hmm?" I shot up and literally froze. Next came the sound of hoofsteps, louder than I had heard before but soft in their own respect. I slowly turned around to find nothing was in the room with me-

"Kyle? Are you alright?"

Scratch that, there standing in the now open door at the end of the room (that I must have not noticed) was a unicorn mare. The same unicorn in the photo. It was an older looking Lyra, I had no idea HOW old she was, she wasn't a filly, I could tell you that much. She was taller but for whatever reason, I could tell that she wasn't as old as she is in the show. Her mane was longer and draped over her eyes slightly. I don't know how long I remained silent and bewildered but it must've been for longer than I would've wished.

"Hey!" she shouted at me, snapping me back to awareness. I shook my head and looked back at her, her expression was filled with concern.

"L-Lyra?" I managed. I didn't know what to say but for whatever reason, she seemed pleased with my reaction. She blushed brightly and smiled as she turned her head away but still kept her eyes locked on me. Why was she so-?

My jaw dropped as I noticed her fully.

She was wearing socks...SOCKS!! Long, striped in black and blue socks, reaching up almost to her shoulders. I looked back up to her face, her mane lazily drooped over portions of her large golden eyes and the look she was giving me was utterly adorable.

No, not adorable...sexy?

"You like 'em?" she asked, raising a hoof to her eye. "They feel really comfy" she giggled gleefully. Despite my confusion, the sound of her laughing always brought a smile to my face. She suddenly turned back to me with what could be called a 'sultry' look, I gulped a little. Lyra began sauntering over to me, making sure to sway her hips with each step, our eyes never broke their lock. Eventually, she reached where I sat and looked up slightly at me and gave me a half-lidded eyed, small grin.

"Lyra? What are-" I was cut off by a fabric covered hoof firmly pushing me backwards on my chest. Lyra reared up and was gradually lowering me onto my back. She crawled up on top of me with her movement, never looking away from me. Soon, I was flat out on the bed as Lyra rested on me, her front hooves to the sides of my head, supporting her to look down at me. Any rational thought was thrown out the window and all I could focus on was Lyra, the way we were positioned and how damn good-looking she was.

"I love you, Kyle" she whispered as she closed her eyes, leaning in to press her lips against mine. My eyes shot open before I fell into the blissful moment, they slowly closed. She moaned lustfully into my mouth as she pushed past my lips with her tongue. I responded in kind, meeting her half way with my own. We wrestled a little before chivalry got the best of me and I let her in entirely, allowing her to explore the unfamiliar nature of my mouth. After a moment, she pulled back, signalling me to take charge. I pushed past her lips, the fur coating them was soft, gentle and fine. My tongue moved on it's own, trekking along her equine cavaties.

We continued in this matter for a while before she released me, leaving both of us panting. She grinned down at me, I returned it gladly.

"I've been waiting so long to do this, ya know" she said, lowering her head slightly. Curious, I spoke with a smile.

"Waiting for wh-?" she cuts me off with a 'socked' hoof covering my mouth.

"Shhh, we have to be quiet..." she smirked slyly. "...but if you play your cards right, I might not be" she gave me a playful look to my eye widening. Before I knew it, Lyra slowly snaked down but stopped at the waist band to my tracks.
Lyra gripped the band in her teeth and pulled her head down, bringing it with her. She looked up and gave me a pleased look, most likely excited to get started and seeing me...'prepared'.

"Get ready, big guy" Lyra said coyly as she leaned in to-

A loud bang cut her off, grabbing her attention and mine towards the door. I looked back down at Lyra and noticed an almost frightened look adorn on her face. After a few seconds of uneasy silence, she looked back at me with a seriousness yet concerned and scared expression. Lyra opened her mouth to speak but was cut off again by another sound, this one was far more unsettling and I slowly felt the same fear I imagined Lyra was feeling.

It was a high-pitched scratching noise, like something...something with claws was slowly walking and outstretching it's hands onto either side of it, scraping along the walls just outside the door. My heart pounded faster and I noticed Lyra's intense, shallow breathing, she was scared as to was I. Suddenly, the unicorn looked me dead in the eye and spoke with a tone that unnerved me even more so.

"It's here..." she said. "...Kyle, wake up" her sentence confused me.

"What? Lyra, what are-?"

"Wake. Up." her voice was more aggressive than before.

"Wake up? What do you-?" that's when the next bang pierced my ears without remorse.


My eyes snapped open again as I jolted upwards from the small cot I rested upon. My vision was greeted by a comforting sight, there I was, still in the alcove within the barn on Sweet Apple Acres, still in Equestria. I clutched my head in exhaustion with an open palm, rubbing my eyes, was that all just a dream? It felt so damn real.

Hence why I can remember it, it was truly vivid. Was my mind THAT perverted that I pictured Lyra in such a unique way?

I lowered my hand to my chin to only find the beginnings of a mustache, prickled whiskers branching at the sides, sudden disappointment rushed over me. That was quickly replaced by a sense of relief, if that nightmare got any further, would it feel just as real? I decided to not think about it.

Before resting my head down again, I noticed that shining through the cracks in the wooden walls were faint, slender streams of light making their way onto the floor. I shot up and snuck a glance to the window just over my head to see the sun, hovering just over the trees, cascading light throughout the land. After a few moments, I heard an audible creaking noise, accompanied by the scuffling of dirt being moved, like something was being dragged on it. Then came the slight pitter-patter of tiny hoofsteps, finally, a voice called out.

"Kyle?" I recognised the voice instantly, I think it unnecessary to describe it again. I rose to my feet, walked over to the archway and placed a hand on the wooden pillar to the right. I peered out into the barn and in the shadows, I could make out the silhouette of a small pony, confirming my assumption. The door opened to reveal a bright light beaming into the room, Applejack looked around the barn, searching for me, I smiled. Just the fact that I was looking at what I was brought such joy to my senses.

"Mornin' Applejack, sleep well?" I greeted. She jumped a little and spun to meet my gaze, she gave a deep breath.

"Don't do that!" she said as she regained her composure. I snickered a little.

"Va Bene, sorry" I replied. I was met by an inquisitive look.

"Whatcha say?" Applejack asked. I broke into a chuckle, I don't know why I said that, even on Earth, most people weren't acquainted with Italian and this was Equestria. Most likely no such language exists.

"Nothing..." I took a deep breath. I remembered that I had somewhere to be and judging by the sunlight, I imagined that it was around about time to leave for my destination. "...alright, I best be off" I stated as I walked up to her and knelt down so we were more eye-leveled. "Thanks for letting me stay here, AJ, it was really nice of you" I noticed her mane was baron of her hat and gave it a slow, tentative but friendly stroke towards the back, she seemed to like the gentle touch and smiled happily up at me.

"No problem, pard'ner" she replied. "But..." she exhaled inquisitively. "What are yah'll gonna do now?" she asked.

"Well, there's somepony I gotta meet soon" I answered calmly, I was met by an expectant grin.

"Can Ah come?" she requested, I looked down at her and thought about it. If what I had in mind was going to happen today, I thought it'd be best to have as many friendlies as possible with me. Lyra and Applejack, two innocent fillies, native and trusted and I had made friends with both of them, even if it doesn't go as planned, I'll have that fact and that's enough for me. I smiled down at her.

"Yeah, sure, we're meeting up...and then heading into town, is that okay?" I said, she nodded.

"Uh-huh, Ah gotta go to Ponyville anyway...selling apples with Granny at the stand today" her voice changed from ecstatic to just plain out bored, she must've been truly sick of the farm life then. I frowned a little at how different she was compared to her older self, her want for change in her life reminded alot of what Applebloom was like in the show, she even looked like her a bit.

"Well, c'mon then, don't want to keep her waiting" I said as I rose to my full height and walked passed her. Applejack turned and followed me to the door. I outstretched a hand and steadily pried open the large door further to the side for my larger frame to escape. I then paused to inspect what was outside, I could almost feel the confusion of young Applejack's face aswell as her gaze.

It was fairly into the morning by now, maybe around seven o'clock. Much to my delight, I hated sleeping in but of course, I had no way of knowing exactly what the time was at the moment as I was baron of anything but the clothes on my back. I turned to look down at AJ with a determined gaze.

"Alright, let's go" I said quickly, darting out of the barn with the orange filly following closely. A feeling of begrudging safety washed over me as I began walking quickly through the now day-lighted apple orchard. Everything about the farm was exactly as what was shown in the show, the house, the clearing around it, bordered by the tree line, everything. I didn't take much notice of what was around me though, instead, I rushed with the filly behind me through the path laid out between the trees.

After a while, I decided it best to start up a conversation with her, the silence was maddening and plus...it was Applejack. I mean, c'mon. I opened my mouth to speak but was surprised when she cut me off.

"Hey, Kyle?" she began, I slowed my pace so I now walked by her side and looked down at her with an expectant look. "Where did you come from?" That...wasn't a question I knew how to answer. What do I tell her?

"Well...I-ummm...I'm not exactly from Equestria, Applejack" in a state of remorse, I turned my head away as I spoke, I could feel the curiosity in her stare.

"Where ya from, then?" she asked.

"Somewhere you don't know, I don't think anypony knows..." maybe there was somepony that knew. In my head, I knew that wasn't a decent answer and was sure she'd push the subject further but to my surprise, she did no such thing. Instead, she seemed content almost but her reply was drenched in a tone that I couldn't quite describe.

"Oh, alright..." she paused. "...who we meeting?" her inquisitive nature was genuine, the kind you'd expect a young child to have. Of course, that's exactly what she was, wasn't she? She might've been a pony, four legs, fur and a tail. A cartoon one at that, featured on a children's television show. StiII, she was a sentient being, child, a person. I decided it was best to think Iike that as I answered her question.

I've thought Iike that ever since.

"Somepony named Lyra Heartstrings, ya know her?" I answered.

"Oh..." her response sounded almost spiteful, like the very subject she spoke of was uncomfortable in the highest degree. "The unicorn? Yeah, Ah know her" then I noticed it, the immensity of carelessness in her tone, it peaked my curiosity as I raised an eyebrow at her. I don't think she noticed though as I'm pretty sure she hadn't even seen my eyes yet.

"Yeah...is there something wrong, AJ?" I asked.

"Well...she's just so weird" she answered. Unbeknownst to her, my heart sank a little when I heard her say something so...biased and against Lyra of all ponies, she was so sweet, so kind, why would anypony think of her as 'weird'.


"A friend...finally"


As I remembered the little unicorn's phrase, it was then when I had fair idea of what was going on. Lyra was an outcast. It struck me as unfair and just plain out horrible but I wasn't sure of anything by then...I had no way of knowing if it was as bad as my childhood. I frowned a little down at Applejack before speaking.

"You're being a little harsh on her, aren't ya? I mean, she's really not that bad, is she?" she let out a contemplative groan before answering.

"She just plays around by herself all day at school and ain't go no friends" her reply caused me to grind my teeth a little. Was Applejack really that kind of kid?

"Lyra seems alright to me, AJ, have ya given her a chance?"

"Well, no but-"

"Then there's no reason not to, c'mon, you'll like her once you get to know her" I said with an enthusiastic smirk. She replied to me with an uncertain look before silence fell upon the both of us. After a few minutes, the edge of the orchard came into view, revealing the dirt road that lead through the large clearing just outside of Ponyville. I took a deep breath as I glanced around at the beauteous display presented before me and the little pony by my side.

Vibrancy was the world itself.

The grass was bright green, the sky was contrasted greatly against the pure white clouds, hanging just overhead of us while others stood perfectly still higher in the sky. There was a slight breeze that morning but despite it, every cloud in the great light blue void remained absolutely static with motion. There only sound audible to my ear was the crushing of grass blades under my bare feet and the clickety-clacking of Applejack's tiny hoofsteps. As we trekked the field, I searched for the same mound I had stumbled upon the day before. Apparently, the Everfree and the Acres are much further apart than I had thought. I could barely make out the tree line of the forest on the far end of the field as Applejack continued to follow me.

Cloudsdale was just as amazing as I remember however, the colours literally pouring from from the Weather Factory's produce was a spectacle on it's own, let alone the bright hues of the soaring pegasi, flying around the white city. I smiled again.

"I wonder how you're raising her"

"What D'ya say?" I recoiled a little at AJ's acknowledgement. Had I said that aloud?

"N-nothing"

Truthfully, however, I couldn't help but think of Rainbow Dash when looking at the city. Since she was definitely a filly at the time, I began to wonder about her father. I didn't know his name but I knew Dashie, I could only hope her pony dad was as great a guy as...well you all know.

My mind tends to wander alot. So much so that I lost track of time as we walked, let alone the distance. I paused to come back to awareness, I look down to see AJ gaze back at me with a hint of concern. Before she said anything, I smiled with a raised hand and took a glance around.

"Heh...well, what D'ya know" I chuckled to myself, I knew this area. Just behind us was a moderately sized hill, mounding up and blocking any sight of what might be directly behind it. My eyes locked with a patch of land to my left, I grinned inwardly as I approached it and knelt down, I could feel Applejack's inquisitive stare on me but paid it little mind. As I stared down at the ground, visions of a young filly and a early teenager flooded my mind, relaxing together there after a tiring afternoon. As I turned around, the entire landscape was a canvas of memories that had only happened the day before, I almost choked up a sob.

"Is this where we're meeting her?" the tiny voice of the accented filly caught my attention. I looked back at her, still kneeling down on the grass as our eyes locked for a moment. I broke the lock and glanced around to find a peculiar sight.

"Hmmm..." I rubbed my chin with an open palm. "Where are you, Lyra?"

"Ah dunno, pard'ner" Applejack answered from behind me. My mind wandered, observing the facts, slowly but brilliantly forming into a plan.

"Hey, AJ?" I called out with a smirk.

"Yeah?"

"Why don't you head on into town now? I'll meet ya there" I turned and stood up so our gazes met, she looked up at me curiously.

"O-okay Kyle" she answered with more than a hint of uncertainty before trotting ahead of me towards the town. I turned back around and sat back in the same spot I rested with lyra.

I don't know how long I just laid there, supporting my back with my hands spread to each side, just taking in the moment, you know? I decided to slow down right there, one of the greatest moments you could have I reckon. The steady breeze brushing against my skin, blowing my hair in the wind aswell as the loose fabric of my jacket. The chirping and clicking of the many animals that swarmed the area, just outside of my line of sight. The vibrancy of the landscape, the bright colours, complimented by the consistent outline of a darker hue.

With a deep breath, I rose to my feet and shot a glance at Ponyville. The path lead right up to it, I took a moment to collect myself and strode towards it. The streets weren't very populated, at least not as much as I'd expect, which was alright for me, I didn't do crowds, ponies and people alike. It seemed a little awkward to just waltz right through Ponyville, so instead I took a detour around back, I snuck behind a nearby building and stuck my head out into the alleyway and peered out into what I could only describe as the market place.

"Alright, let's have a look, shall we?" I whispered to myself as I snaked through the corridor between the two buildings. In the shadows, I peered out into the shadows, silently cursing the bright hue of my jacket, sticking out in the darkness but only just. The road was littered in fruit and vegetable stands, ponies I couldn't recognise in the slightest occupied them while a handful of others, wearing saddle-bags over their backs trotted about happily.

My bronyism called out to me, begging me to just burst out and meet them all, to shake their hooves, learn their names and befriend them. I held back because, even as that sounded great, the logical side of my mind got the best of me and I hid, silently accessing every key detail, playing scenes over and over in my head, predicting how they'd react. There was little detail and consistency in the show, so I had only a very rough idea of how the denizens of Ponyville acted and it didn't help that these weren't the ponies from the show but rather the past residents and parents of the ones I knew of. Save for a few, of course, not everypony was born and raised in Ponyville mind you. I took a deep breath and adjusted my position, crouching on the ground with my left hand planted firmly on the wall but nearly jumped out of my skin when I heard something from behind me...

"Well, hello, there" the voice was eerily familiar, masculine and hinting of english origin. The thing that I noticed most was the addressing of myself and how friendly it sounded. I cautiously turned my head to meet the shaded image of a figure, roughly a few centimetres taller than me at my full height. I felt a gaze on me and before I knew it, my eyes adjusted to depict the shape of a tall pony, looking down at me.

"Hey" I responded blankly, remained crouching there but shimmied to face the stallion face-to-face.

"Strange creatures, aren't they?" he said, looking over me, through the alley's entrance. I looked back, following his gaze before turning around again.

"The ponies?"

"Yes"

"What's so strange about them?" I asked. The stallion went silent for a moment before stepping closer, I could almost feel the sly smirk crossing his muzzle as he spoke.

"You don't find them in the least bit odd?" he asked. I paused and looked more intently at him.

"Hang on...why would you think they're strange? Aren't you a-" I silenced myself as the image of a light brown fur coat came into focus under the hovering sun. It was then when brown and blue eyes locked in a moment of realisation, his mane was dark brown, styled almost into a mohawk. I smirked slightly. "Well, I'll be damned...kinda wished I actually watched your show now" I snickered at his puzzled look.

"Right..." he responded with an over-stretched phrase.

"So ehhhh what's up, doc?" I couldn't resist quoting that little annoying yet lovable bastard of a rabbit.

"Oh well, you know, things and such, how are you, human? And what might you be doing here? Scratch that how did you get here?" his questioning was irritating, I had to say that much.

"Uhhh...I'm fine and...I have no idea, one moment, I get this little ball in the mail. Next thing I know, I'm here"

"Curious"

"Very, I'm Kyle by the way, Doc" I said.

"Nice to meet you, I'm the-" he cut himself with a knowing smirk. I returned the look. "So, what exactly are you planning, young man?"

"Pretty much just walk through Ponyville up to whoever might be the mayor in Town Hall...and sort out a way to get to Canterlot" I said, making up the detailing of my plan as I spoke.

"And?"

"Well, hopefully Celestia can shed some light on my situation"

"If not?"

"Well...I don't know, improvisation most likely" I turned back a peaked out once more into the town, I could only imagine the Doctor looking over me, doing the same. Trotting along the road was a grey colt, perspectacled and sporting an age induced silver mane, it was the only grown pony I could recognise. However, scampering down and around the roads, through my very narrow field of vision, I spotted two fillies, a mahogany-red earth-pony walking by the side of a cerulean coated unicorn.

The blue one's mane looked like toothpaste. I smiled at seeing the two children, Colgate and Cheerilee walk past the alleyway, smiling at eachother.

"Well, Doc, how long have you been here?" my question went without an answer, after a few moments of silence, I turned to find that the tan stallion behind me was no longer there. "Back off to London, ay?" I chuckled. "Son of a bitch" I let out with a sigh.

I guess it was now or never.

I twisted my face into a determined look before rising up to my feet and tracing my hand on the wall to my right. I could feel the light cascade down at my feet, slowing rising up towards my torso as I stepped out of the shadows. With an extended hand, I breached the confines of the darkness and gripped the corner of the building's concrete, cupping around the bend with my palm. With my other hand in my jacket pocket, I practically lunged my head out in the sun, almost blinding me.

"Ahh" I let out an audible groan, closing my eyes and ducking my head to the ground for a moment before standing up straight again. Leaning against the building, I gazed out into the town unbidden, the long, outstretched grass roads that crossed through Ponyville, the homes and businesses of the the working mares and stallions, everything. To my right, my ears picked up something, a muffled but noticable exchange of different noises. I sub-conciously ignored it as I contined to stare down the road.

With a sudden burst of confidence, I trudged out into the road. That sound I was hearing immediately became much clearer but was interupted by an audible and last gasp of high, feminine voices. I turned my head to see the shocked faces of two brightly hued mares, sitting at a table with what looked like teacups on it, their horrorfied eyes were locked on me. Their pupils shrank as their eyes widened, one was holding a hoof close to her face, almost shaking it was. I don't recall either having a horn or pair of wings but I could be mistaken as to what their species were.

They continued to stare at me for felt like an eternity, I just looked back at them with fear, anticipation, excitement and more fear. I could only imagine from their taller statures and bigger bodies, that these were full-grown, if not young adult ponies. I cracked a nerous smirk and like a complete idiot, I spoke the only thing that came to mind;

"Uhhhh, hey"

Author's Note:

Don't worry, guys, I'm not dead yet.
I'm just trying to keep you all hooked and that requires planning and alot of time, just bare with me on this.
Plus high school's a bitch and sometimes, I just don't feel like writing.

Best Of You - Foo Fighters