• Published 18th May 2013
  • 8,401 Views, 327 Comments

Never Be The Same - Kickback



We've all been hurt but how we survive is what makes us who we are

  • ...
36
 327
 8,401

Chapter 18 - Get Out Alive

No time for goodbye he said
As he faded away
Don't put your life in someone's hands
They're bound to steal it away


Silence.

Pure, maddening silence.

No one moved. Nothing moved. Not me. Not Fluttershy. Not the animals. Not it. It was deathly quiet.

I'm not quite sure how long it had been since it had turned to face me. It's maw dripped with thick crimson blood as it's unnaturally sharp teeth ceased gnawing at the hide of the fox in it's claw. The creature's eyes of utter darkness stared at me, never straying, never showing emotion and unblinking.

It's frame was thin and malnourished. It didn't look strong, it's arms and legs were no more comprised of muscle than a mere twig but I wasn't about to hedge my bets on that, I could in my gut that there was far more than met the eye with this creature.

I had no longer taken to calling it 'The Rake'. It matched every attribute and detail of the mythical being but without a name, it's just an animal. That name struck fear into me and it knew that. By calling it that, I had recognized it as something to be feared as it a name motivated by that exact fear. By calling it that, I had recognized it as an entity, given it a title, learnt to know it as a being.

Not anymore. It's just an animal now.

Even with that, there are less ways of me coming out of this alive than dying here and letting an innocent filly follow suit.

I couldn't just use anger. I had to think. It was a beast. I was human. I could think. I could plan.

Splat.

One faint noise pierced through the cottage like a razor-sharp javelin. I nearly jumped at the sound of it. The monsters gaping mouth let loose a single drop of blood that dribbled from it's chin and onto the wooden floor.

The silence had been broken.

It moved.

It dropped the dessicated carcase to the ground, it laid there in a heap, unmoving and long dead. I wanted to feel sorry, to mourn the death of the helpless animal but any sadness that I felt was quickly consumed and converted into hatred, any fear that I had was crushed and added to the concoction of anger.

Slowly, it's skeletal form shifted. The sound it made as it's skin was pulled tighter over it's body and it's bone popped and locked in and out-of-place was revolting. A low snarl escaped it's jaw as it's head steadily rotated in my direction. It stopped.

The fox lay at it's feet as it's blackened sockets stared dead at me. It didn't meet my eye, at least it didn't feel like it. No, instead, it's gaze rose and lowered, sizing me up and taking in everything that I was, silently contemplating how best to tear at my flesh and take it's next victim.

I wasn't about to just become this bastard's next meal, not without ripping it's fucking jaw off but...Celestia, if I die tonight...tell Cadence I'm sorry and Lyra...take care of yourself, okay?

There wasn't any time to make peace, properly, at least. I wish there was.

It's body now faced me completely, in the dim lighting of the cottage, I could just make out the details of it's form. A little bit of light was all I needed, I didn't have to see it in all it's horror. The wildlife that broke into the cottage were still huddled around eachother, not daring to break away from the safety of numbers and perhaps they thought that would stop it but to see a full-grown grizzly bear, hiding behind a few fluffy rabbits and hand-sized birds didn't put quite induce confidence.

It moved again.

It's feral, elongated claws snaked their way forward and it slowly crawled towards me on all fours, close to the floorboards. I took a step back. It didn't stop but it didn't increase it's pace. It's jaw was closed tight but I could still see the blood dripping from the few spikes of teeth that poked out from it's lips. My fists balled again, this was it. I took a step forward and that's when it happened.

It lunged.

Just as my toe hit the ground, the creature sprung up at me on it's legs, letting out a shrill screech as it jumped at me. I felt it crash into me, digging it's claws shallowly into my shoulders and tackling me to the ground. My hands reached out and I grabbed something spherical, I opened my eyes and found it's teeth gnashing desperately just inches away from my face. Without any time to think, I hooked my fingers around it's scrawny, thin neck and it let out a wheeze as I slowly crushed it's wind-pipe. It's claws dug further into my skin and soon the pain became unbearable, with a growl, I shoved him off of me. It landed off to the side in a heap.

"K-kyle...?"

I heard the voice but my mind didn't register it. I scrambled to my feet but the creature was quicker, it dashed at me and I barely reacted. It swung it's claw but through some miracle, I managed to catch it around the wrist before it made contact. I had forgotten about it's other and I felt searing pain along my chest as it slashed at me. I caught the thing's black gaze for a second before I pulled back and all but broke the creature's nose with the brunt of my fist.

I heard a scream from behind me.

It staggered a bit, giving me a window. With it's wrist still in grip, I spun around and with all the strength I could muster, I pulled the animal over my shoulder and slammed it into the ground by it's arm. I stared at it as it made what sounded like a groan for only a second before I lifted my foot and put everything I could into stomping in it's head.

Then again.

And again.

"W-w-what is that t-thing...!?"

I stopped.

My head twitched at the sound of the voice. My gaze snapped up to the fearful, tear-filled blue eyes of the tiny yellow pegasus that sat there on the couch. She had forced herself as far as she could go into the cushion as she held up her hooves to her muzzle in shock. Her stare was focused on the creature that lay there at my mercy but then her eyes flickered to me and I saw the terror in them.

Whatever had snapped inside me was slowly becoming whole again as I watched the small filly. She looked so scared and I thought I knew why but I was protecting her, wasn't I?

I...she...it...

"Flutte-"

My eyes shrank.

"AHH!!"

I screamed as a horrible piercing pain shot through my leg. I looked down and I found the disgusting creature's teeth shanked into my calf. It's jaws bit down hard and I could feel what felt like razors tearing through the muscles in my leg. I was already beginning to feel light-headed from the blood-loss. I fell back and I knew if I didn't act, it would've taken my whole leg off. I grit my teeth and worked through it. I reached for it's head and without thinking, I hooked my fingers around it's skull and plunged my thumbs into it's black sockets.

Evidently, it did, indeed, have eyes.

It's jaw pulled out from my flesh as it screamed in a shrill, guttural voice. I could see my blood dripping from it's teeth and the rush of pain I felt as it released me from it's maw was indescribable. Rage filled me as my thumbs worked deeper into it's blackened pits, I heard the squishing sounds of it's eyes being gouged out, which only served to spur me further. I could feel the hard bone of it's skull and right when I was about hook around it's sockets, it slashed at my arm.

I screamed again, I was stunned in my pain and pulled my hands from it's head. My thumbs were slimy with viscera but didn't care, I had done more to it than it had to me. Clutching my arm and my bleeding leg, I shot a look up and I laughed as it's claws grasped desperately at where it's eyes used to be, screaming all the while. I coughed and I swear a tiny splatter of blood escaped my throat.

I tiredly looked over to the pegasus. "Fluttershy..." She didn't look at me. "Fluttershy."

Her large, horrified eyes glanced over to me, she didn't say anything.

"G-...Get a knife from the kitchen, okay?" She hesitated, looking back towards it and then to the archway to the kitchen. I glanced down at the creature, it head swivelled back and forth, snapping in the direction of my voice, it's nostrils flared. I couldn't blame her but there was no way I was going to come out of this still breathing without some kind of upper hand. It may have been blinded but I wasn't about to take any chances. "Fluttershy." Her gaze snapped back to me. I didn't say anything but I hoped she understood what was at stake, what I was trying to convey.

After a moment, she gave a slight nod and scampered fearfully to the kitchen.

The R-creature bolted right up at the sound of her hooves tapping against the floor. It never stopped snarling, it's appendages flailed mindlessly as it got back to it's feet. It gave a low scream before scurrying on it's claws.

Right towards Fluttershy.

"No!"

Seeing it's intent, I dashed forwards and right before it's talon could reach he filly's leg, I managed to grab onto it's own. Fluttershy only just noticed how far she was from being caught and screamed as she looked upon the creature's face up-close. It wailed and growled violently, clawing at nothing as it desperately worked to get free. I struggled, it's brittle frame was a masquerade that hid away the unrealistic strength it possessed. It's eyeless stare shot at me and just like that, it's attention was turned back to me.

"Go!"

That's all I could say before it tackled me. It's talons just missed my face as it pushed it's entire weight towards me, knocking my hand out of it's grip in the process. It's chomping jaws were only held back by forearm pressed desperately against it's neck, barely keeping it in place. I could feel blood and saliva splatter my face as it tried to bite it off.

"Kyle!"

Fluttershy's scream went unanswered. The creature had me pinned, it's uncanny strength keeping me in place. I couldn't find back, there was no opening, all I could do was lay there and defend myself. I kicked, I punched but it never relented, I think it knew that without it's eyes, if given a chance, there was no way it'd have a chance. This thing was fighting to survive and normally, under other circumstances, I'd feel sorry for it but...

...I was fighting for survival too.

"Agh!" A roar escaped me and I swung my free elbow into it's jaw. It staggered to the side and made to push it off but before I knew it, it's eyeless , rage-filled gaze snapped back to me and it's maw stretched wide. Quicker than I could register, the creature dashed towards me and wrapped it's lips around my forearm, sending it's razor-like teeth straight into my flesh. "ARGH!!"

I barely heard the loud, rolling growl that pierced the air through my screams.

Hardly seconds after the Ra-monster sunk it's fangs into me, I saw what looked a wall of brown, grizzly fur step up to us. The creature manage a faint snarl, as if it knew what was coming and before I knew it, a large hairy and evidently, very powerful arm swiped right towards it. It connected with the beast's ribcage and I prayed a silent thanks as I felt it's jaws loosen around my arm but the pain of it's teeth forcibly ripping out of my flesh was indescribable. Clutching my bleeding arm, I screamed in agony. I could hear the low, guttural growl again faintly under it. My eyes were clenched shut, my teeth grit so hard, I was sure I'd chip a tooth.

I felt something soft push at my shoulder and it was then that I remembered where it had managed to dig it's claws into. "Kyle! Are you alright?" I screamed again. "Sorry!"

I opened my eyes and was greeted with the visage of the little yellow pegasus, hunched over me and staring into my eyes with abject terror but the concern overlapped that. I wanted to smile, I wanted to smile for her. I wanted to tell her that I was fine, that she'll be fine...but I didn't want to lie to her. Not that I could, my vocal chords were strained from screaming. I looked past her, hearing a shrill cry and another growl. I couldn't believe my eyes.

I watched as the same massive, brown grizzly bear that hid, cowering behind his fellow woodland critters, swipe away at the blind monster with it's claws. The creature staggered back as two of the bear's hits crashed against it's face. It barely looked phased. The creature scampered around the grizzly and sprung onto it's back. The bear howled in pain as I watched the creature lash at the bear's flesh hidden behind a wall of thick hide. The grizzly took it in stride and reached behind it and a little smirk adorned my face as it's black claws caught a grip on the beast's neck. With a mighty swing, it pulled the bastard over it's shoulder and slammed it to the ground with a triumphant growl. The creature only lay there for a second before the bear picked it up around it's head and legs. It kicked and cried as the grizzly slowly rose it off the ground and to the peak of it's reach. I managed to pick myself up some, I was still clutching my bleeding arm for dear life, Fluttershy's concerned gaze never tore away from me, I could feel her hoof gently resting on my back. I sat there as I watched the bear stand tall with the grey creature raised high to the sky, lashing and screaming, desperately trying to escape to no avail.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

I grinned as the bear let out one feral roar and then, with all the strength it could muster in it's large, powerful arms, viciously slammed the creature's body into the ground. The floorboards splintered as it bounced once, the sickening crack of it's bones shattering resonated throughout the cottage before it lay limply on the floor, it's frail chest rising and falling slowly in wheezy, tired breaths. The bear only grunted and lowered to to all fours, giving it's pelt a quick shake and staring down at it's enemy, daring it to get back up.

It didn't.

I managed to get my feet, the pain was tormenting but I willed myself forward. Limping towards it's half-dead body, I stared long at it. I glanced up at the bear, it's black eyes were locked onto mine and in that second, man and animal seemed to understand eachother more than they would ever their own species. Looking back down at the thing and summoning up whatever was in the back of my throat, I spat at it. It didn't even move but it was still breathing. I couldn't have that. Not anymore.

This ended here.

I limped around it and stood resolutely next to the visibly tired bear, I could make out the stains of red in his pelt, slash marks from where it had got him. Whatever primal or concious force drove this massive fuzzy killing machine to help me was beyond what I could think of but it'd had saved my life and if that wasn't his goal then it certainly didn't matter to me. I leaned down and grabbed it by it's arm, hoisting it's skeletal frame to my eye. It's head hung loose on it's brittle shoulders, unconscious as it was but it's wheezing for breath through the pain from the fight. In the corner of my eye, I noticed the bear staring at it with a certain malice that an animal shouldn't be able to express. I was certainly going to let him have his fun with it...but not before I do.

I reeled my other hand back, balling it into a solid fist. So filled with rage was I that I didn't even register the slight tilt it's head made. I should have just taken a knife to it's chest . It would've been over if I had.

Faster than I could make out, it's head shot up, it's jaw widening to release a powerful scream as it's hand slashed at my chest. I felt it's claws cut shallowly but the sting was enough to make my body react on it's own. My hand reflexively loosened it's grip on the creature's arm and it's skeletal frame was sent to the floor.

As I clutched the bleeding spot in my chest, staggering back and gritting my teeth, the son-of-a-bitch manage to climb to all four limbs. I regained enough composure to see it scurry mindlessly, blindly away, begging for it's arms and legs to carry it to safety...or, at least, that's what I thought it was doing. All it took was a split second for me to realise where it was going. Not the door. Not one of the windows. Not even the feast of animal flesh in the corner. Instead, as quickly as it could, it scurried over to her.

Fluttershy.

She stood there in abject horror. Frozen to the spot.

It was heading for her.

Fluttershy.

Was.

In.

Danger.

"NO!"

A primal yell escaped me. I dashed for the creature. It had already made it's way across the room, it was mere centimetres from her. She let out a scream, clutching her eyes shut. I was so close but it was closer. All it had to do was slash it's talon at her and she'd be gone. Dead. Bled out on the floor of what was supposed to be her cottage. Her life ended, all of it gone. Wasted. Turned to nothing and it's all because of m-

"Fuckin' No!" Before it's claw raised up above it's shoulder, my hand clasped around it's ankle. I didn't even give it a chance to respond. "Not today, motherfucker!" It gave a sharp yelp as I reeled it back and grabbed it by the back of the head before promptly slamming it's face into the ground. It let out a groan the first time and I could see the shards of it's teeth dug into the wood. I didn't stop though. Again, I mashed it's disgusting face, making it very well-acquainted company with the space where I stand. The space that I call home. The whole time I felt dozens of eyes on me, large. Again, I watched the splatters of blood decorate the floor in a collective pool of crimson. Again, it's screams of pains, the cracking of bone and the banging of impact rang in my ears. Again, I felt the burning hatred seethe through me, the protective urge that fuelled my desire for death.

I was tired, so very tired. Once I decided that it had finally had enough, I hooked my arm around it's neck and pushed my forearm into it's head, my hand gripping tightly on it's ragged scalp. The creature still possessed enough strength to fight back, however. It's claws flailed, it's body convulsed violently in my grip. It's broken teeth gnashed at nothing as my arms slowly tightened around it's neck and a series of satisfying pops in it's joints brought a vicious grin to my face. It's screams then turned barely-coherent words and even those were unrecognisable through the violent series of coughs that escaped it's throat. There was nothing anymore. Whatever was the left of the innocence of a fifteen year-old child died that night. In that cottage.

I could make out one last word before it happened.

"S...s-sacrif-fice..."

"Never."

It screamed.

With my bleeding arms hooked with vice-grip around it's neck, I coiled back.

There was a sickening crack.

The scream stopped.

Author's Note:

Get out Alive -Three Days Grace