• Published 29th May 2013
  • 1,568 Views, 32 Comments

Power Rangers, Nature Fury: Beginnings - Zoom zoom

  • ...
10
 32
 1,568

Chosen (Part 1)

Fluttershy took another sip of her juice and turned the glass as she looked at the ground, her blue hood and long pink hair covering her vision above it. Around her others were enjoying themselves. She wasn’t very much, but since it was a party she had been invited to as a guest of honor she couldn’t just leave.

“So what’s up?” spouted a voice familiar to the girl. Fluttershy looked up to see her oldest friend. Rainbow Dash had shown up in her Gala dress, not surprising since Rarity had been too busy lately and it was Rainbow’s only non work related garment these days. Rainbow wasn’t one to care about coming to something in a dress that damaged a little the last time it was warn. It actually matched Rainbow’s messy hair very well.

“Nothing,” Fluttershy replied.

“Okay I know that’s a lie,” said Rainbow taking a seat next to her. She pulled her friend’s hood off and brushed the hair out of the way. “Come on, you can talk to me about it.”

“Well,” Fluttershy began. She continued to look at her glass and took another sip before continuing. “I’m just not sure why we are supposed to be partying right now. I’m glad Twilight offered Pinkie to set this all up and she’s so much happier right now, but I still think it’s too soon; especially given the current situation.”

Rainbow let out a sigh, “You’re sorta right. But then again if everyone is all mopey and scared all the time it isn’t going to help morale. We need more soldiers than ever, yet everyone is in such fear of Maladora that no one is joining.” She smirked as she looked at her badge she had pinned on the dress. “I mean I may have been ready for the Wonderbolts before, but it took till they had to expand their numbers before I was even asked by Spitfire.”

“How is she doing by the way?” Fluttershy asked.

“She’s doing better,” Rainbow admitted. “Ever since what happened to Sorin she hasn’t really been the same but there isn’t anything anyone can do about that. At least she’s moved on.”

“That’s good,” replied Fluttershy.



“Yeah,” agreed Rainbow. “By the way, have you seen Lightning Dust? She and I were supposed to be the reps from the Wonderbolts but I haven’t seen her.”

“Maybe because you don’t look very hard,” said a white haired girl taking a seat next to Rainbow. “I just ran into her over at the bar. Last I saw she was trying to calm down some drunks so I decided to come over here.”

“Oh, thanks Gilda.” Rainbow jumped out of her own seat but turned and looked at her old friend. “Wow, what are you doing here?”

Gilda inclined her head, as if using her purple spiked highlights to point behind Rainbow. Both girls turned their attention in that direction. And both winced at the very sight of it.

“Oh come on now,” called out a pink haired woman. She was being held up by two royal guards to keep her balanced as it was fairly obvious she was quite drunk. “It’s a party. I could give you guys a rock’n time after I send my daughter ouf to bed toneight.”

Said daughter was looking down and shaking her head in embarrassment as the two guards took the woman by her arms and started to drag her away from the premises. Her mother proceeding to continue slurring words as she cat called several men on the way out.

“Man poor Ruby,” Rainbow remarked before turning back to Gilda, “But I meant why are you at this party. It doesn’t seem like your sort of thing.”

Fluttershy lifted head to look at Gilda as she replied, “I could ask you the same thing, but you’re friends with the new Princess right? As for me, my dad is a noble from the Griffin Kingdom. I’m sort of expected to be here since he couldn’t come with all the issues they are having at Cloudsdale.”

Fluttershy was surprised. The last thing she thought would happen between the two of them was a civil and calm discussion. “Tragedy really does bring out what is important it would seem,” she thought. “Maybe she’s changed for the better. Though I don’t think she’s ready to meet Rarity yet since she didn’t even change her hairstyle.”

It was at this point that Gilda noticed her observer and brought her attention to the pink haired girl. She leaned in the point her spikey hair could poke Fluttershy in the eyes if she came any closer. “What are you staring at dork?”

“Hey, lay off Gilda,” shouted Rainbow Dash. “Fluttershy is my friend and has stayed one of my best friends. And unlike you, she’s been there for me. So I’m not about to let you bully her.”

“Who’s bullying?” said Gilda sounding somewhere between sincere and having actual sarcasm. “I just don’t like others poking their noses into my business.”

“Scratch that,” thought Fluttershy. “This is the same old Gilda.” She turned her attention to her fuming friend. “It’s alright Rainbow,” she said, “I was sorta being nosy.”

Gilda grunted, “Glad you agree. Now would you kindly get up? I don’t like to keep nosy people as company.”

“I said lay off Gilda,” Rainbow repeated, “I have to go check on Lightning so I want you to get along with her. So maybe this time the two of you can talk like normal people.”

Blowing hard out of her nose, Gilda nodded as the Rainbow haired girl marched off. “I’m surprised she can walk so well in high heels.”

“She only recently learned,” said Fluttershy trying to start a conversation. “Rarity spent three days getting her to learn for the Gala.”

Gilda laughed, “I bet she fell on her face a lot. I know I did when I was a kid. Then again I wasn’t able to use my flight magic back then.”

Fluttershy stifled a laugh herself at the thought of Gilda falling in heels and said, “Don’t worry. Rainbow sort of forgot for the first day too. She even had to chase down Pinkie Pie when she got pictures of it.”

“Oh those I have to see,” said Gilda. It was only then that she realized she was actually conversing well with this girl and decided she had better attempt to keep things friendly and held out a hand. “Sorry about what happened the last time I was around. I don’t keep many friends so I was kinda miffed at Rainbow for having so many others at the time. We cool?”

“S-sure,” Fluttershy replied as she took the punk’s hand and shook it.

Back on the other side of the party, Rainbow Dash finally caught up to her military partner. “What have you been doing all this time?”

Lightning was sitting on a barstool, two young men unconscious at her feet. She dressed in her usual clothes of tight jeans and very tight red shirt that showed off what little assists the shirt would be built to cover. This made Rainbow all the more mad because she took the time to dress proper unlike her friend. “Nothing much, these two just tried to slip something in my drink. I believe they learned their lesson now.”

Rainbow Dash just shook her head, “You really need to find something better to do. Not every guy needs to be beaten up.”

“Hey,” Lightning protested, “I was only defending myself.”

“Judging by the fact no one dragged these guys out and no one is backing up your story right now I’m guessing it was more you beat them up just for hitting on you.”

“Same thing,” Lightning shrugged.

Rainbow sighed and took the stool next to Lightning, not really caring much about the two males since they appeared fine. “I really don’t get how you can be like this when there isn’t a gun in your hands.”

“I already know I have issues,” replied Lightning, “but I need to have some slip ups now and then if I’m going to keep listening to you and Spitfire whenever either of you say to jump.”

“We’re friends Lightning,” Rainbow stated. “It means I want to make sure you are okay first. You know I only pull the ‘listen to your commander’ card when we’re on a mission, and for good reason.”

“Yeah,” agreed Lightning. “If it wasn’t for you I’d be dead right now after that last strike in Las Pegasus.” She obviously wanted to say more but stayed quiet.

Rainbow Dash nodded, “And if it wasn’t for you I’d have lost my ability to fight and wouldn’t have been able to do what I did to save you and all the other refugees in Cloudsdale. Don’t knock your own skills. You just have to learn not to divide yourself so much from being all by the books at work and so lose at times like this. Balance it out and you’re better for it. Luna knows I had to learn that the hard way.”

“Now that,” replied her friend, “is a story I’d love to hear.” She grabbed her drink to take another swig when she noticed something. “When did they start putting a golden ice piece in these things?”

“Well that was impressive,” commented Gilda after Fluttershy had been confident enough to tell of her take down of a Cockatrice. “Not sure how you didn’t just bash his head in like I would have.”

Fluttershy looked down at the floor again as she thought out best to explain why she didn’t. She could lie and say it wouldn’t have reversed the damage, but that wasn’t the case. She honestly couldn’t bring herself to end a living thing’s life. Even though it was threatening her she could only focus on berating it. It just wasn’t in her nature to hurt any animal. It was only luck that such a thing did manage to work.

Suddenly, in the corner of her vision was something gleaming. A golden ball had rolled in front of her. What struck her was how the ball stopped immediately as soon as it was in front of her. As if it were encouraging her to pick it up.

“Well look at that,” Gilda again commented to her. Fluttershy looked over and saw that a second ball had done the same in front of Gilda. The white haired girl took the ball into her palm and bounced it around a bit. “Decent souvenir I guess.”

Without saying anything, Fluttershy did the same, pocketing the bobble in her jacket’s inside compartment. Knowing Pinkie it was some kind of item she was giving out for a special prize. She was glad she didn’t have to trust that her new “friend” wasn’t going to try and take her prize from her.

Almost on cue as she did, a shading spell come over the crowd and a voice announced, “All bow for King Shining Armor, Queen Mi Amore Cadenza, and Princess Twilight Sparkle.” The loud echo rolled as around as the sound of many knees hitting the marble floor loomed over the giant room.

A spotlight came over to rest on three individuals. The first was a fairly young man in his mid twenties with dark blue hair and clad in armor. Despite his age he carried a look of wise thought and experience, likely from his days as Captain of the royal guard. He also looked slightly weathered, as if he had just gotten over a very long run since he was leaning on is wife. But this was lost to most who were not close enough to see him at the top of the stairs so it was a decent enough illusion.

The queen looked worried, but knowing the importance of looking strong for her subjects she kept her head from turning too much to her husband to show it. She turned instead to her sister-in-law and whispered slightly, “Are you really sure we should do this now? Shining doesn’t look too good.”

“I’m fine,” piped her husband shaking his head. “Renewing the Barrier always takes a lot out of me, you know that. Even with your love feeding me some power it isn’t enough when I have to cover two cities.”

“This is why I wanted others to help you,” she argued. “At least Twilight should be able to somewhat match your power.”

“True,” said Shining, “But we are dealing with a witch that took over the various nations of the world and has an army at the edge of my spell ready to jump in. I think having our best mage at full power is the smartest move should something falter, as well as needing all the help we can to fight off the army anyway.”

“This isn’t the time to be discussing this,” Twilight finally interjected. “We’ve only been in charge for a few months without Luna or Celestia. We can’t afford to come off as weak or divided, even if it’s through worry of the future right now.”

All three nodded, which was the only thing their subjects could see. With the condition of her elder brother iffy, Twilight decided to take the lead in forms of the speech she was to give to the crowd.

Elsewhere however things were decadently more gloomy, but without such a dark cloud over the army to be the cause of it. In it, a much smaller group of figures watched from high as their armies ate and made marry with one another.

“I just don’t get why though,” commented one creature to another clad in armor. “We basically rule the entire world now. What should we care of just two cities that can’t even trade with us anyway?”

“Me thinks,” replied the armored warrior in a deep voice, “that you forget our purposes are to serve our two queens. I agree that the siege is perfectly fine, but we must not forget what happens when one lowers their guard. They could just as easily strike when we least expect it, as well as if we give them time they may be able to rally and fight back Sir Bunble. If we are to finish this job for our queens, then we must squash them while they still have low morale and little numbers to fight back for more land.”

Bunbul nodded, “it was just a thought. I like to see these lowly Canterlot humans suffer, but we’ve no way to get in. I’m sort of bored out here.”

“Well,” chimed a much harsher voice. “Perhaps it will be a good idea to give you some activity.” The voice said activity like it was aroused by the idea, but it carried along the implication of pain all the same.

Bunbul jumped forward and spun on his heels at the voice and sputtered, “Qu-Queen Chrysalis.” The orange creature immediately dropped the his knees and bowed several times. “My apologies my queen, I spoke out of line.”

The green haired woman smirked and slowly cast her gaze at the armored member of their party. “I assume my servant’s boredom is due to having no progress on the dome then.” Her insect like wings twitched and her large chest jiggled a bit at some thought she did not voice, though based on Bunbul’s flinching, it was likely from the satisfaction of draining her vassal of his negative emotions as was per her emotional feeding diet this war had done its best to give her strength for.

“It is so I’m afraid,” replied the armored commander with a slight bow out of respect.

Chrysalis nodded and looked down at the creature currently feeding her. “Get up you stupid beast.” In one swift move she kicked him and sent him flying into the wall. A feat she would not have been capable of before this war, even during that invasion she had attempted some years back. She smiled at the confirmation of her new strength working and looked out at her army of changelings.

“Hard to believe not one of them was able to stay when that blasted dome was placed up,” she muttered. “I shall have to congratulate Shining Armor when I meet him again.” She turned her attention back to the whimpering creature slowly rising from the floor. “Oh get up. I have news for you both from Maladora.”

Bunbul got to full attention as she backed up to point to a certain spot in the dome before her. “At this point, Maladora will be able to open the dome for five seconds. The weakness in the dome’s defenses that have been keeping out our magic will be gone for that one moment in two hours. I was going to ask who could lead a squad of thirty changelings to attack. It is only a test and we could lose all of those that go in should my magic be unable to call you all out of the dome since they’d be stupid to let you live.” She turned and looked with a wicked smile at Bunbul, “and since you are so bored Bunbul, you can lead this suicidal attack.”

Bunbul shrank at that. But the armored commander stepped up ignoring his companion. “And what am I to do my queen?”

“Observe Sir Sombre,” was the changeling queen’s reply. “I want you to take full notes on what the general reaction is with the guards at the border. You are to see what those pathetic guards do when the center of their heaven is attacked. Should they leave, then we have a plan ready to finally end this war. Especially since the drop zone will have minimal guards so that we can kill as many civilians as possible before I have to call them back.”

“Understood,” Sombre bowed. Bunbul followed suit with much more and not saying a word out of fear.

“Well,” said the green haired woman. “I’ll leave you all to your own devices till then.” And with the snap of her gloved fingers, she was gone.

“Trade ya,” Bunbul offered to Sombre once she was gone.

“Not on your life,” Sombre replied.

“Yeah,” Bunbul gulped, “I was afraid of that.”

Author's Note:

For anyone new to my writing I post in parts because of view count, digestion and so on.