• Published 2nd May 2013
  • 8,206 Views, 235 Comments

Don't Call me Cute! - Viking Hoof



Scribble is a young, smart, and (as much as she might hate the word) cute filly, but she has a lot on her plate at the moment. She's beginning to become a young mare rather than the young filly she was before, her mother is entering into a very

  • ...
26
 235
 8,206

Scribble6: A Complicated And Strange Chapter.


Rarity paced around me like a hungry timberwolf, or desperate shark, or other frightening and dangerous animal. Her eyes traveled over every inch of me, measuring my dimensions and sampling my colors. Palettes were produced, as was a measuring tape. Then, Rarity cleared her throat. I could tell that there wasn't actually anything to be cleared. Rarity was trying to get my attention. I was stalling to be annoying.

"Off with the pack please." It wasn't a question, and I took off the pack in decent time. I admit, now that I had cooled down, I had realized that six-hundred bits was a substantially amount of money. I didn't like this, but they had my mom's permission to do it and lots of money. There wasn't much use struggling now.

I'd save my energy and plot my revenge instead.

I started brainstorming as Rarity began measuring with her tools my size and hue. It had to be something I couldn't be sued for, so spilling stuff on their rich looking clothes was out. It couldn't cost me my bits, and it couldn't really hurt them. With those limitations... I'd need some back up.

No back up beat Ravenhoof, but that meant having to draw her up. That would be impossible with my bags across the room, and me in plain sight. My only chance was to manipulate some stranger into helping me. This looked like a place of business, so there would have to be customers.

Customers would be hard to work with. They might just pass off her behavior as a whiney filly. That left other foals. There just might be some fillys coming with their mothers or fathers. That would be too small of a chance. I didn't operate on chances that small.

Then it hit me.

No really, it hit me. It hurt like Tartarus, but when I looked up I saw a small unicorn filly levitating a baseball bat. It took my stunned mind a moment to process this, but then it hit me, figuratively. That was Rarity's little sister! Umm... Sweetie Belle!

Rarity was my second least favorite element, so it was reasonable to forget about her sister, but now that I remembered she had a sister other things came back too. Things like the great poodle migration, and the soap war. This filly and her friends were disaster incarnate! All three would be dangerous, but on her own. If she was alone she would probably jump right into action.

Rarity left to get ice, and the filly dashed forward to help me. A string of honest but hasty apologies pouring out of her mouth. Just as she gave me a hoof up I looked her in the eye and mouthed, 'help me.' She looked confused for a moment, but then looked up at Photofinish and her minions wide eyed. After that she nodded and dashed out.

Ohh buck. That wasn't supposed to happen! Only to late I realized that that baseball bat meant she was playing baseball with other fillies. That meant what bit me was a baseball, and that meant the deadly trio were together. I was doomed. Not only might I lose the 600 bits, they'd probably kill me in the process. My brain went to defcon 2, and everything tensed.

My mind raced to try and think of every conceivable way they could misunderstand me or mess up. The problem was that I knew so little of them! They could charge in at any time, having misunderstood what I said in any way, and do anything.

In the end Rarity returned with ice, and I resigned myself to whatever uncertain fate I had just given myself unto. A momentary prayer to Fantasi was all I could do, but a goddess of insanity could only do so much. In the end, what happened would.

The pack dulled the pain in my cheek. Rarity turned to Photofinish. "Will the bruise mess up your plans?" Sadly, Photofinish shook her head no.

"Nein, that's what my make up artists are for." Rarity nodded, and the measurements proceeded. The measurement tape and color palettes were cold against my thin coat, and Rarity's magic and innability to ask before she moved my limbs just made things more awkward.

Rarity froze suddenly, and seemed to disconnect from the world as she shouted, "IDEAAAA!" Then she dashed into another room. Then there was silence.

By silence, I mean my ears ringed as they recovered from her bellow. Hidden by that ringing were sounds of singing and cloth being cut. Eventually, the ringing passed and I heard those dark forbidding snips of cloth and snippets of verse. It shook me to my fetlocks.

Then Rarity emerged, dress in magical hoof. It was a soft blue affair with lace and a saddle, but of course there had to be a saddle. Annoying dumb things that they were. Who invented the saddle anyway? What purpose did they serve? It's not like it protected our back from anything.

Doorknobs and bell towers indeed.

Rarity looked down at me and in no uncertain terms said, "wings down and head up dear." 600 bits is a lot of money, so I did. The first thing she affixed was the saddle, next the skirt, and finally she had me add some sandals. The sandals were actually kind of comfy.

She looked down at me as she presented a mirror. I shrugged at what I saw, and she frowned.

"Wunderbar Rarity, simply wunderbar." Photo interjected with her voice along with her hoof.

In the end I was made to pose for several photos. The Crusaders never showed up after all. I late found out that Rarity saw her running out, guessed my intentions, and called in Applejack. She was smarter than I gave her credit for. Mom gave me a lecture about staying home when ordered, and Twilight never came back to our house. All in all I was feeling kind of low.

On top of everything I had to throw out my Elements of Harmony rpg card set. Rarity had a much higher INT than 4


-[]-

Mom made me sit and eat dinner with her. Things were tense. Really tense. "Scribble it's time to talk again." I gulped silently.

She was sitting back in her seat. She was anxious, but didn't expect me to run. That was weird.

"Scribble I went to the doctor. He said that you were growing a bit oddly. He wants to see you for an appointment." I took a bite of my sandwich while I waited for the other shoe to drop. That wasn't anxious news that was nervous news. She was both. "You are going to Cloudsdale." Wait what?! What did she mean I was going to Cloudsdale? What could possibly be happening that would warrant a trip all the way to Cloudsdale? Mom raised a hoof just as I began to write out just that question. "Scribble, that's all I know. Twilight said she had a spell to help you stay in the cloud. She's taking you. That same spell works on her as well." I looked back down at my sandwich suddenly less hungry.

Which was really strange because I loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

-[two days later]-

Twilight smiled brightly as she passed me a jacket. I had missed two days of school now, and mom was upset, but this was the earliest appointment she could make, and mom didn't want me going to school for some reason. Plans changed, and Pinkie's party was delayed indefinitely. As much as I appreciated that, I think everypony was overreacting.

Medical issues aside, this was a great oppurtunity to bond with Twilight without mom. I had only seen her sparingly these past few days, and that inofitself was distressing. They were close, much closer than I had expected, so this distance was definetly a step back. It would be impossible to move things as far as I wanted, but recovering this lost ground was a priority. The first step would be deciphering what exactly caused this divide.

I knew it was me related, but what had I done specifically to cause it? Was it my physical problems? Did mom say something when panicking about my dissapearence? Where and why was the fray in their bond forming?

I had tried to gleam the answer from both at once and from mom on her own, but that hadn't worked. Now it was time to turn up my meager charms to 11. Starting with the ride in the chariot we just boarded.

Had I ever mentioned I love dubstep? I love dubstep! I really liked the ones with a simple set of words. It was like classical in that words didn't have to matter. Also, I hate country western.

The chariot we are on is about to take off when Twilight finds a radio dial. Almost without looking she takes it in her magical grasp and turns it to a station I don't recognize. I expect there to be classical music. I'm not disappointed. It starts with a soft familiar violin. It's a perfect distraction from the bone chilling open chariot ride.

The problem with the open air chariot ride was that it blew away any unsecured paper, and secured paper, and loose clothes that you are wearing only because it's so cold. Ohh, and the pegasi flyers never chatted with my mom, and I'm certain they would ignore me if I ever tried. All in all they were a lonely experience for mute passengers.

That meant that I had to communicate without words. The same thing I had done at any moment I lacked paper and or pens. The normal tactic was to use the environment to convey meaning. Pointing at relevant objects and so on. The cloudfilled sky took that away. That left physical contact.

I wanted her to feel... protective of me. She had to associate motherly feelings with me both for my sake and mom and her's relationship. That meant making myself small and defenseless. To this end I pulled my wings in tight, I hunched my forelegs, and lowered my head. The key would be being as small as possible without causing real alarm in Twilight.

Next I pressed against Twilight, borrowing needed warmth from her and making it appear as if I relied on her. Feeling needed was the major drive to giving help. She would be as protective as I appeared to need to be protected, accounting for perspective.

If she had been a pegasi I would have gone under her wing, but she wasn't. As it was, I had to rely on the biased samples I got from my experiences with mom. That meant that it was smart to nuzzle with forehead high or low. Even today, mom flinched a little if I nuzzled her in a way that would have jabbed her with a horn had I been a unicorn. Ignoring the legs, I nuzzled the barrel exposed between her legs in her sitting position. That was do or die. If she thought me too mature than this would be awkward, but if I looked filly like enough she would find it endearing.

I smiled as Twilight put a foreleg over me. Success! Twilight was body shy in everything I had read, so if she felt awkward she would have gone colder of tender. When her foreleg squeezed me I felt warmer and she loosened. I capitalized on her relaxed mood to lay against her.

She leaned back, and I smiled as I took the oppurtunity to nap. I had heard from trustworthy sources that I was, blegh, cute when I was sleeping.