• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 7,401 Views, 200 Comments

The Winds of Redemption - RagingPonyRider



After the events of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Jetstream Sam is brought back to life and to Equestria by Discord. Much destruction ensues.

  • ...
10
 200
 7,401

Act 1: Hero-I'm Outta Here

Is it just me, or is this castle larger than before?

Sam kept jogging down the hall, hoping for some indication as to where he was going.

It had only been a few minutes since he left his cell, and he had yet to be discovered. Individually, he could easily incapacitate a pony guard, but all he could focus on now was avoiding detection.

Damn it. All this sneaking around just doesn’t feel right. Maybe I should have waited for sunrise.

“Yeah, like I have the patience for that.”

After climbing down his latest flight of stairs, he finally found something that caught his eye: an open room with dim light flooding out.

His head whipped back at another sound: the clopping of hooves. Without a second thought, he slipped into the room and slammed the door shut as quietly as he could.

“Who’s there? Guards? Your prince is talking to you!”

He grimaced. First a princess, now a prince? A scared and haughty one, too, at that. Nevertheless, if he was really a prince, then he would be related to the princesses in some way. In short, someone to avoid.

The room was more than he imagined. Various vials and thick tomes were laid out on a table. He grimaced when he saw a familiar purple alicorn.

His body tensed, but Twilight literally had her head in a book.

Duh. It’s almost three in the morning. Who isn’t sleeping, aside from that damn prince? Does he have to go to the bathroom or something?

He remained light on his feet as he traversed the room, making sure not to knock over any pile of books or equipment on the floor. Taking his eyes off the floor for a moment, he scanned the table once more and realized his sword was right in front of Twilight.

Frowning, he squinted to get a closer look and saw syringes and test tubes surrounding it. Behind her, he could see she was resting her head on what looked like a notebook.

Has she been trying to figure it out? She better not have tinkered with it too badly.

He snarled at the purple alicorn, who kept snoring away as drool seeped onto her book.

He merely gritted his teeth and observed the entire room. He had to reclaim his sword first.

“Just grab it and go.” Sam secured it on his hip and reached for the door.

“Hmm...princess…”

Sam turned around and frowned. Twilight’s shivering was growing more obvious. She rolled to her side, grabbing a couple books in the process and snuggled them into her chest.

“Silly girl. Guess the little princess needs her beauty sleep.” He nudged the door open and closed it just as quietly behind him.

Got my gear, and it’s the dead of night. Just one more thing before I go…


“Curse this darkness!” Blueblood muttered under his breath, nearly tripping over himself for the third time. “Aunt Luna, could you not have made your moon shine a little brighter? Oh, never mind. Should have brought a torch instead.”

Blueblood knew the castle layout like he knew his right forehoof. However, the same could not be said when he could not even see said hoof. Who knew a simple trip to the bathroom would be so laborious?

He sighed, resorting to hugging the wall to find his way. “Honestly, a prince should not have to behave in such a manner! If there’s no guards, at least nopony’s watching…”

He turned right and found light pouring out one of the branching hallways.

The bathroom! One of the guards must be using it.

He galloped inside and saw the row of stalls. “To think I’ve yet to have my own private bathroom! I would not have to leave my room at all!” He hastily entered one and locked the door. “Haaaaaah…”

Of all the days for this, why did my bladder have to wake me tonight? No more sparkling wine before bedtime, I suppose.

“Bad night?”

Blueblood gasped, now wide awake. The sound of trickling water stopped, and laughter shook the air from a few stalls beside his own.

“Who are you?” he yelped.

“Just a guest,” the stranger replied. “And you?”

He glared at the divider. “Prince Blueblood. I won’t bother learning your name, peasant.”

A scoff. “Something like that. But after this, I’m leaving this castle, hopefully permanently.”

“Good. One less to take up space in the castle.”

“Wait,” the stranger started. “You say you’re a prince? I’ve never even heard a word of you. You rule with those princesses in the castle?”

“Please,” Blueblood snorted. “I am their nephew, and they are my-” A pang of fear made him stop. “Why do you need to know? Are you not leaving soon, or do you have business with them?”

“Not anymore. A shame, really. I’ll be missing these toilets.”

Blueblood’s eyebrows raised even higher. “The toilets?”

“Yeah. Have you ever done your business on a trough? Or in the damn bushes?”

Blueblood shivered at the thought of such indecency. “Who are you, really?” Blueblood asked, trying to steel himself as he unlocked his stall’s door. "If you do not answer me, I’ll call the guards.”

“Like I said, just a guest.” A soft hissing sound came from the stranger’s booth. “But, uh, isn’t calling anyone at this time of night a little rude?”

Blueblood heard the click of the stranger’s stall behind behind him and whipped around. A large green bipedal something, with two full rolls of toilet paper in one of his hands loomed over him.

Most prominent, however, was an evil smile.

“A unicorn, huh?” Before Blueblood could move, his other hand shot out and grabbed his horn. “And you’re a prince too? Stereotypical arrogant royalty to boot, I bet.”

Sam smirked even wider when Blueblood’s eyes looked ready to pop out. “Wuh-wuh-what are you-”

Before he could scream, Sam clasped his other hand around Blueblood’s mouth. “As much as I want to slit your throat so I wouldn’t have to hear that haughty voice again, your aunt would have my head for it. And I don’t take hostages. Instead…” He eyed the toilet paper on the ground. “I’m gonna try something a little more family-friendly.”


With Blueblood taken care of, Sam knew he only had an hour or two before the guards found him. Thanks to Nightingale, he at least had the strength to find his way out of the main building.

Now was the marathon: making his way out of Canterlot.

Luckily, the main road was obvious. Even without the moonlight, the occasional streetlamp paved the way. The local buildings only gave him more reason to leave.

This place is almost as complex as World Marshal HQ. At least the building had elevators, but I can’t live on potatoes for long. I need shelter, water, food, and definitely fire.

Catching his breath, he took a last look at the castle. From his distance, he could fit it within the palm of his hand. However, even this far away, he saw one of the castle windows filled with light. When the rest followed suit, his smile hurt his cheeks. He could practically hear the guards and matrons screaming at his work.

“And that’s my cue to leave.” He turned around and readied to run

“You will return.”

Sam’s heart nearly leapt out of his chest. “Discord?!” He caught his breath as he spun around.

You bear great trauma although you do not show it.

“Telepathy? What the… Luna?!” His breathing quickened when he realized he might have gone truly mad.

Come to me, and I can help you. Help you absolve you of your pain, find the path to where you belong.

“A way home?” Sam snarled. “Why should I trust you? I don’t even know who’s speaking.”

Come to the castle, and you will receive you answers. Help me, and I shall help you.

Sam crossed his arms. He was in no condition to accept any deals from disembodied voices.

“Tch. Yeah right. Come back to the castle I just ran out of at near daybreak and get caugwait, daybreak?”

He looked behind him and indeed, sunlight gleamed from below the horizon.

“Shit. I wasted too much time already.”


“I’m telling you, guard, that creature must be dealt with immediately!”

Bright Shield stifled a groan. It was the break of dawn, and with only a few hours of sleep, he was not in the mood to argue with the resident braggart. At first, he thought Princess Celestia had made a mistake with the sun, but his alarm clock did not lie.

“Prince, if I may—”

“Arrest him? Indeed, you may! You must! He has assaulted a member of the royal family! Surely you’re not thinking about letting this go unpunished?”

Bright frowned and marched past him. “I’m no longer a Royal Guard. Princess Celestia has informed Prince Shining Armor of the human, and he should arrive later in few hours. He will take over as Captain until my suspension is lifted.”

“What?!” Blueblood removed the last of the toilet paper from his pyjamas with a huff. “Why didn’t you say so?” He shoved him aside and sped past him.

“Uh, Prince?”

“Yes, guardspony?”

"You still got some pieces of TP in your mane and coat.”

With a girly yelp, he galloped out of sight. Bright quietly laughed at the image still fresh in his mind. Prince Blueblood, cousin of Princess Celestia, encased in a cocoon of wet toilet paper in a bathroom stall.

However, his laughter faded as quickly as it had come. Sam had escaped, and he had no idea where he might have gone. Blueblood, as he often did, would have likely went to complain about the issue to her aunt.

I wonder if Sam can really be charged with assault? Sure, most ponies like myself wouldn’t take it seriously. Knowing Blueblood, he would just exaggerate the truth to hide the humiliation.

Then that leaves Princess Luna and Princess Sparkle. I should check on the latter. She’s cooped herself in her room all day yesterday.

He sprinted down the halls and quickly found her room, the door slightly ajar. He peered inside, hoping not to wake the princess,

“Princess? Are you there?” He really should have knocked instead of peeping, but then he would not have seen Twilight snuggling a stack of books on the floor.

“Princess!”

“Wah!” Twilight jerked awake, knocking the bookstack into the air. Several of them landed loudly on the ground, one hiting her right on her head.

Bright suppressed a snicker as Twilight shook her head. “Wuh-what? What happened? Captain Bright Shield?”

He winced at the reminder of his stripped rank. When Shining Armor arrives, he was going to have some questions about what happened. “Yes, Princess Sparkle. The sun’s up.”

“It’s morning already?!” Twilight ran towards him, but ended up tripping over her own hoof.

“Yes, Princess, I just wanted to inform you before anything else, but the human, Sam, has escaped.”

“What?!” She picked herself up and rubbed her head, groaning in pain. “He’s escaped? Since when?”

“Last night, most likely. Prince Blueblood is reporting his escape to Princess Celestia right now,” he muttered. “More importantly, Princess Sparkle, where is his sword?”

“His sword?” Twilight repeated, confused. She pointed behind with her hoof “I left it right...here…”

“Did he come in here?!” Bright asked, louder than intended.

Twilight remained flabbergasted. The idea that not only had Sam escaped, but with his sword was the worst thing that could happen. Her facial expressions and exasperated gesticulations was more than necessary to worry Bright.

“Uh, Princess Sparkle?”

Before he could receive an answer, he heard hoofsteps behind him. Princess Celestia had entered, thankfully without her nephew. Judging from the expression on her face, she was just as worried as Twilight.

“Twilight, are you alright? Blueblood told me Sam’s escaped!”

When she moved in closer to her, Twilight threw her hooves up and growled through clenched teeth, causing both Celestia and Bright to jump in alarm.

“I don’t believe it! I have so many questions about him about his suit and his sword, and he slips out of here before I can ask him anything?!”

When she noticed Celestia and Bright looking at her wide-eyed, she dropped her hooves and looked the other way. “Uh, sorry. Just a little nervous. With Sam sneaking in here and taking his sword back...”

Celestia nodded. “I thought I could give him the benefit of the doubt, but it seems I was wrong. I thought some privacy would help him open up to us. I never would have imagined I would scare him away.”

Twilight frowned. “But didn’t you say you’ve met humans before? You talked with them, helped them?”

“Yes. But I told you before, he is different from the humans I knew a thousand years ago. He might find his own way to his world, but who know what trouble he might stir up.” When she noticed her pupil’s worried face, she smiled confidently. “Don’t worry. I’ve already sent First Lieutenant Sky High and a squad of guards to find him.”

“But what if he attacks?” Twilight could not help but wonder, as pessimistic as it was. “What about Princess Luna? Has she found anything about him from his dreams?”

Celestia’s smile drooped. “She has. And she doesn’t like what she has found.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

Celestia took a deep breath. “When Luna revealed herself to Sam in his dream, he reacted very violently. Luna told me she tried to reason with him, that she tried to help him with his nightmares, but he somehow managed to incapacitate her.”

Twilight gasped. “How can anypony do that? Can’t she manipulate dreams?”

“Yes, but Sam’s not “anypony”. Human minds are quite different from a pony’s, and Sam’s mind is far different from any previous human’s. Luna would be out there with the guards herself if she was not injured.”

“Excuse me, Princess Celestia?” Bright spoke up. “I don’t mean to argue, but are you sure Sky High and his troops will be enough?”

“I agree; Sam’s just too much of a danger,” Twilight said worriedly. “I doubt he’ll be any friendly to the guards if he finds them. If he could hurt Princess Luna in a dream and beat up those guards from before, what’s to say he won’t...kill them this time?”

“I’ve instructed the guards only to observe his movements from a distance so far. If Sam discovers them and confronts them, they will retreat and report back to me.”

“But what if Sam decides to...let loose?” Bright pressured.

“In that case, he’ll have me to deal with.”

Everypony’s head turned to the doorway and found a white unicorn with a blue mane in it. He looked at Twilight and smirked. “Princess Twily. Haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Hey, Twilight, aren’t you forgetting somepony?” Behind Shining was his wife and co-ruler of the Crystal Empire, Cadance, who smiled at the scene. Twilight hugged her all the same and Cadence nuzzled her back. “When I heard Aunt Celestia called for Shining, I dragged him out of his office so he would stop wasting time and help her.”

“You just wanted an excuse to stop doing some paperwork,” Shining muttered, but mirrored her smile. “Anyways, Princess Celestia, you called for me?”

“Yes, Shining Armor. As former Captain of the Royal Guard, I want you to temporarily retake Bright Shield’s post as Captain.”

“Bright Shield?” He faced the ex-captain, who bit his lips anxiously and looked at Celestia. “Why? What’s he done wrong?” It was unlikely he would disappoint with his service.

Celestia looked down at Bright, who had stopped biting his lip but could not stop the trembling of his legs. She had a good idea why Bright reacted like he did when Sam provoked him, but Bright had to be responsible for his actions. “Bright will tell you everything. When you’re done, come to my throne room. I have some additional assignments for you while you are captain here.”

Shining’s eyebrows were raised, but he did not speak up. He stared at Cadance, giving her a “What was that about?” look.

“I don’t know, Shining, but I get the feeling you should talk with Bright quickly. I’ve never seen Celestia that serious since our wedding.” With a hug and a kiss, Shining left the room with Bright behind him.

Now, with only the two of them in the room, Cadance smiled at her sister-in-law. “Now then, Twilight, care to fill me in on what’s going on?”

Twilight laughed nervously and rubbed the back of her head. “Uh, I can’t say for sure, Cadance, because...I don’t know much myself.”

“Oh, come on!” She walked up to the table, gawking at the fuel cell and various chemistry equipment. “What’s all this, then? Just some science project? Come on, what happened? It sounded very important when Shining read the princess's letter. It said something about an alien called a hew-man.”

Twilight squirmed on the spot. Suddenly, the prospect of the weapon and fuel cell did not seem as exciting as they once were. "The human's named Sam, and I was trying to figure out his equipment."

“Is Sam the alien Princess Celestia was talking about?”

“Yeah, but…” She fell on her rump, realizing how hungry she was. “I don’t think keeping something like this can be any good for us. I can probably figure out how his sword works, but whatever this is, it’s just so different from the technology we have.”

Cadance frowned and wrapped a comforting leg around Twilight. “What’s the matter? I haven’t seen you this down before. Usually, you jump at the chance for a new discovery.”

Although her body was aching for food, her mind still kept replaying images and voices of Celestia. She relented, telling her everything. About Celestia’s involvement with humans in the past, about how Discord brought them a thousand years ago, and the repercussions of the event.

“When Discord gave the human warriors magic to cause even more chaos, they rebelled against him, and he killed them all.” Twilight looked down, but she did not stop. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna took years to smooth out relations with other species about the humans. The griffins and others thought the princesses were monopolizing the humans. There were even several times when Princess Celestia thought a war would rise because of this."

Cadance’s face had turned stony. Her childish smile was replaced with a grimace as her mind processed what was said.

“For now,” she said slowly, looking at the door behind her. “let’s keep this discussion between us. We need to make sure not to make a panic out of this. Do you know where he might have gone?”

Twilight scrunched her face in thought. “I don’t know… he’s definitely not in Canterlot anymore. He could be anywhere!”

“Darn it,” Cadance hissed. “I’ll have to ask the princesses more about this. Meanwhile, what are you planning on doing?”

Twilight hesitated. The feeling of helplessness struck her again. Being a more familiar figure than her mentor, she half-hoped Candance would give more personal advice, but now even she had a more professional air about her. “I’ll… probably go back to Ponyville. The library isn’t going to run with Spike himself.”


Sam sighed in relief when he found something of a hollowed-out tree in the middle of the forest. The sun was shining brightly, signally the morning, but it did not make it any easier to navigate through the thickets of greenery.

Someone actually lives in this jungle? I’m surprised that giant timberwolf didn’t flatten this place into the dirt.

Judging from the size, it looked like a shelter instead of a house, with open holes for windows and a pony-sized door. It had vines and other plant matter growing around it, but it also had a very African taste, decorated with colorful masks and bottles hanging from the giant branches of the tree.

Hoping for a place to rest and some directions, he knocked on the door.

“May I ask who is by the door? A pony, a friend, or someone more?”

“Uh...someone more,” Sam said loudly back to the inhabitant.

The door opened to reveal what appeared to be a miniature zebra, with a striped mohawk and numerous rings worn around her neck and one of her legs. She gave a small “Oh!” and took a step back in surprise.

“Excuse me for my alarmed look, two-legged stranger. I thought, due to your height, your were a beast of danger.” She blinked several times, unsure at what she was looking at. At least it did not look like a wild animal.

“Yes, I’ve gotten that a lot nowadays,” Sam jested, not knowing whether to smile at the zebra’s humbleness or frown at the memory of everypony’ wary gazes at him. “I’m sorry if I’m interrupting anything, but do you know where the nearest town is?”

The zebra’s eyes constantly scanned him in fascination while she tried to answer the best she could. “The town of Ponyville is quite close to this place. A half-hour’s walk, you can go at your own pace.” She raised hoof to her muzzle to cover a smirk. “But first, who am I talking to, may I ask? My name is Zecora, a filler of flasks.”

“A brewing...shaman...zebra? Now I’ve seen it all,” Sam groaned, but when he met Zecora’s unamused leer, he corrected himself. First impressions were always important. “Er, sorry miss. Just tired is all. My name is Samuel, but just call me Sam.”

Zecora hummed as she took a closer look at his face. He was an unfamiliar animal, but even she could notice he was panting, despite his attempt to look calm. “Have you been exerting yourself, in this forest no less? Come inside and rest and relieve some stress.”

Sam opened his mouth, but stuttered. “Wait, what? I just needed some directions, is all.”

“You’re sweating, leaning, and panting for breath. I do not want you fainting to your death.” Zecora frowned and motioned him inside. “It is common courtesy to help one in need. Or is helping another an uncommon deed? I have seen many creatures in my time in these woods. You are not rabid or wild, but capable of good.”

Laughing, he obeyed and crouched down to enter the doorway. “Sorry, to disappoint you, miss…”

“Zecora,” she repeated, copying his smile. “A herbalist and potioneer is what I am. I occasionally help ponies stuck in a jam.”

“Zecora. I’m sorry, but I’m anything but good.” Sam looked around and saw even more masks and bottles hanging from the walls and roof like baubles. A giant cauldron was over a fire in the middle of the room, inside it, an orange concoction that smelled like grass. “Thanks for having me, though. I needed a break.”

“I was about to have a breakfast of soup, you see. It’s always a pleasure to have guests , don’t you agree?” she asked as she went to fetch bowls from a cupboard.

Sam scratched his cheek, more uncomfortable than before. “I guess you have about a hundred questions, huh?” Sam sighed as Zecora returned with a ladle in her mouth and a couple bowls balanced on her snout like a seal.

She carefully laid down the bowls and ladle and smirked. “If you don’t mind, but I know better than to pry. If you don’t wish to tell me, you don’t have to try.”

“Oh, I see what you’re doing,” Sam said, frowning. “But I’ll only tell you this: I’m a bad guy. So why are you doing all this? And if you would, please stop rhyming. It’s rubbing me the wrong way.”

Zecora took a moment to stir the soup. “Apologies, then, for my discomforting way of talk. But this is how I always speak, I hoped it’s not a shock. As for your self-description, I see no reason to believe it. Besides, the animals are frenzied; you don’t want harm from their fits.”

“Animals? You mean the forest animals? What happened?”

“A colossal timberwolf have destroyed many trees and habitats. I don’t know where it came from, but it disappeared as quick, just like that!” After that, she returned to scooping soup into the bowls.

Sam could not help but smile. “So animals are scrambling around in a panic? And you don’t think I can take care of myself when town’s so close by?”

“The Everfree is still filled with creatures with foul moods. Also, I thought you may wish to stock up on some food.”

On cue, Sam’s stomach growled in approval. He laughed sheepishly as he avoided looking at Zecora’s eyes. “Alright, I guess I’m a little hungry, but I’m not exactly in the mood for soup.”

“Something more solid and chewy for your taste buds? Some fruits from the trees or some earthen spuds?” Zecora pressed, trying to please her guest the best she could.

“Er, no thank you, I just had some potatoes a few hours ago. That said, do you have any meat? My body needs some serious protein right now.”

Zecora gave an “Ah,” and nodded. “You crave not soup or greens, but meat instead? If so, I’m sorry, but I stock none in this homestead.”

“You’re surprisingly understanding about this,” Sam said. “None of the ponies were too pleased when they found out I ate meat. I tried stuffing myself with their salads, but that only helps so much.”

“I have met many species next to ponies and seen how predators survive. But to some ponies, they are wary of a carnivore’s instinctual drive.” Zecora pushed a steaming bowl of soup in front of him and offered a wooden spoon. “Nevertheless, have some and replenish your energy. If you wish, dip into the soup some bread and veggies.” She quickly fetched the aforementioned in a large basket and smiled.

Sam was more confused than before. “Who are you? All I asked were some directions, and you give me all this.” He gestured to the spread of food laid out. “No normal person would be this...philanthropic.”

“Person? Is that the term you call your species?”

“I would appreciate it if you didn’t avoid the question, but no..”

She nodded and took a sip of her soup. “Thank you for answering me. As for my actions...” She dipped a piece of bread into her soup. “I know the hardships of vagrancy, as I was a traveller once myself. You looked like you needed help and some supplies for yourself. You called yourself a “bad guy”, but I think anything but. I know how bad souls are, and I would have left them alone with empty guts. You behave politely and show no signs of aggression, so why should we not socialize and ask each other questions?”

“You just don’t know me is all.” Sam slouched and bit off a piece of dry bread. It tasted and felt like paper, but it was something. “I’ve done a lot of things, and I whatever good I do, it doesn’t end nicely.” He unhinged his sword from his hip. “That giant timberwolf was after me. I killed it as soon as I could, but I’m amazed it didn’t flatten your house.”

Zecora frowned and laid her bowl down. “Forgive me, but I doubt that timberwolf’s death was your deed. It trampled trees under its paws as if they were mere weeds.”

“Then you don’t know what I can do with this thing.” He pulled his sword out, eliciting a gasp from Zecora. “This sword, my arm, and my suit cleaved that timberwolf’s head off. I would have brought its heart as proof, but I left that back at the castle.”

He laid the sword down and Zecora leaned in to get a good look. When Sam held it in his hands, its glow and sparks caught her immediate attention, but now it looked like a long, red blade.

“I have never seen such a weapon of this design or colouration. But how did you use it to destroy that wooden abomination?”

“It can cut through literally anything. I decapitated the timberwolf. Don’t ask me how, I don’t know how it works either.” Sam took his first sip of his soup. Tasted like radish and pickled vegetables. Not too bad, but not something to eat everyday.

“Such a weapon...and it is not magical at all?” Sam nodded. “A weapon such as this is completely foreign. Where did you come from?”

Sam clapped in amusement. “Hah! Your first non-rhyme!”

Zecora’s cheeks turned red and she looked away. “Oh! Uh...sorry, I was in a daze, is all. But why do you have this sword at all?”

“Using the same word twice?” Sam chuckled. “Sorry, couldn’t resist. I have sword and my suit because of my occupation. Back home, I’m a freelance cleaner, bodyguard, and contractor. And no, I’m not the cleaner that does the laundry or the contractor that does carpenting.”

Zecora nudged the sword away and grimaced. “For such misleading names for mere professions, you must lead a life full of discretion.”

“My business, maybe aside from bodyguarding, isn’t a hundred-percent legal. That’s the kind of work you get when you can only afford to live in developing countries. Anyways...” He retrieved his sword and took a sip of his soup “I need to go. Canterlot’s no help. Might as well ask for directions in Ponyville.” He groaned as he stood up. “Honestly, is every place in Equestria named after horse puns?”

Zecora got to her hooves as as well, trying to keep up with Sam’s steps towards the door. “Excuse me, Sam, wait! Just a couple questions, please!” Sam opened the door and turned around, eyebrows raised. Zecora gulped, choosing her last words wisely. “What are you looking for? And why are you here? Please answer me before you disappear.”

Sam felt the desperation in her eyes and voice. She put her emotions into every word instead of the other way around and he liked that. “I’m looking for a way back home. As you could tell, I’m not from this place. Hell, not even this world.”

Zecora closed her gaping mouth and frowned. How obstinate was this human? However, who was she to pry into his private life? “Very well, Sam. But please, don’t be quick to dismiss. Before you go, you should have some of this.” She reached one of her cabinets and retrieved a brown jar. “I have no meat for you, but don’t be pensive. Instead, I may have a suitable alternative.”

Sam took the jar and opened it. Tipping its contents into his left hand, he saw what looked like crystallized...

“Insects?”

Zecora nodded. “Caramelized crickets and hoppers substituting for meat. High in protein, good for an occasional treat.” She pushed the jar towards him. “You need it more than I, so take it with you on your journey. You can hunt the animals, but you’ll need fire and only when necessary.”

He frowned, but not in displeasure. He knew the old saying that hunger was the best seasoning, but Zecora’s change in tone caught most of his attention. “You sure? These seem too exotic to give away so easily.”

“Indeed, they are a rarely made delicacy of mine, but I need no concern...”

But that was exactly what she was getting from him. She knew every time he asked her a question. It did not usually bother her, but living in the forest had left her with few visitors. “Sorry. Let me recant, or I would be lying to myself and you. I just hope wherever you go, you make some time to visit here, too.”

Sam blinked, but tried his best to form a smile and bowed. “Alright. I understand. I’ll come here again after I ask for some directions in Ponyville.” He rubbed his beard and his smirk grew. “Tell you what. Visit the castle at Canterlot. There’s someone that works there that you might be able to relate with. Her name’s Nightingale.”

It was Zecora’s turn to blink. “Someone? Not “somepony”?”

“Yep.” Sam laughed and scratched his head. “She said she was a dhampyr, and she doesn’t look like anypony I’ve seen before. She’s kind of like you. You two might get along well.”

Zecora gave a gentle smile and nodded. “It would be a welcome change of scenery, but I cannot leave here yet. The animals of the forest still present a formidable threat. Unless-” her smile turned devious “-you plan to be my bodyguard, so I may not fret? However, I’ve little money, so how else may I pay the debt?”

He was barking with laughter at the suggestion. “A job? Interesting...I’ve no lead on how to get home, so I’m not in a rush.” He snapped his fingers. “Alright, here’s the deal: I get you to Canterlot, and you pay me with some lunch I can take on the road?”

It was Zecora’s turn to laugh. “Very well, then. I’m sure I can find some forest fruits for you, so-”

Suddenly, every hair on her coat prickled. Sam must have noticed as well. He had his hand on his sword.

“You felt that?” Zecora nodded. “Think some wild animals smelled your breakfast?”

“But that’s impossible, for I have prepared this building last night.” She looked at him worriedly. “I’ve sprayed scents around to to keep wild critters out of sight.”

Sam looked out the still-open doorway. He saw some bushes shake indignantly, as if waiting for a prey for them to pounce on. “You had some animal repellents around your home? I must have missed it.” He pulled out his sword and walked outside. “Stay inside. I don’t want to cut you by accident.”

Zecora did as she was told and remained by the doorway. “Please don’t harm the animal too severely. Needless brutality will make them hound us constantly.”

“So I just need to scare them off?” He got ready as he heard footsteps. “Don’t worry. It feels like there’s only one of ‘em.”

“Now, now, Sam. Do you really want to scare off little old me?”

Both of their jaws dropped when the creature walked out into the open. He had his talon and paw up in surrender as he smirked, his prominent fang twinkling.

“It’s good to see you coping so far, Sam. I just wanted to check up on my favorite human.” He yawned as he rubbed his stomach. “So how’s last two days treated you?”

When he did not hear a response, he opened one of his eyes from yawning.

Only for Sam’s blade to pierce right through it.

Author's Note:

(rewritten/fixed 17/10/2014)