• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 7,401 Views, 200 Comments

The Winds of Redemption - RagingPonyRider



After the events of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Jetstream Sam is brought back to life and to Equestria by Discord. Much destruction ensues.

  • ...
10
 200
 7,401

Act 1: Hero-Party Pooper

“Dawn. My favorite time of the day.”

Nightingale closed the stall door behind her and walked to the sink. Almost every staff member was on lunch break, and the mare’s bathroom was like a library. Perfect time for a stroll, a pick-me-up, and a clean loo.

She sighed as the cotton rubbed between her hooves. Other than the rare shower, washing her face and hooves was what she woke up for.

Better get going before a maid gets here or something. Pick up lunch myself.

She pulled her hood over her head, making sure none of her red mane stuck out. Although wearing a brown cloak was a sure-fire way to stick out, the princess's assurance was enough to dissuaded everypony’s questions.

“—need a break, Twilight.”

Nightingale stepped back from the bursting door. It was not just Princess Twilight, but her relatives, Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor.

Twilight faced her, just as surprised. “Oh, sorry about that! Didn’t see you there.”

“S’alright,” she muttered quickly. “‘Scuse me.” She turned around and walked the other way. Nopony followed her, but she could hear the stallion’s words.

“Huh, never seen that pony around the castle.”

“One of the maids? But why doesn’t she wear proper clothing, the poor thing?”

Cadence’s words were just whispers, but Nightingale might as well have been slapped by them, her cheeks burning. She kept running until she no longer heard them. She did not know where, but anywhere was better than there.

Eventually, her legs gave out and she leaned against the wall. She panted as she saw where she was. The entrance to the courtyard.

Sighing, she trudged her way out, thinking about catching some fresh air before reporting to the princess. With the former Captain of the Royal Guard taking over, she would need a new set of instructions in case protocol has changed.

What in Tartarus kind of response was that?! “It’s alright.”? It wasn’t alright. I nearly got hit because because of you! And Princess Cadence just laying down the pity, ugh!

“Woah, woah, girl. Easy.” Nightingale looked around, smiling when she saw no eavesdroppers. “Deep breaths. Don’t let them see you like this, it will only make them hound you more.”

“Then hound them back.”

“Huh-what?” She snapped her head up, looking for the source of the booming voice, but nopony was in sight. “Who said that?”

I understand your pain. If you wish, I can aid you.

“I must be going mad.” She kept a light hoof, ready to run at any sign of danger. “Where are you?”

I can sense your presence. If you desire guidance, I can assist you.

It felt like the source was closer now. Her fur stood straight. “Who are you? Where are you?”

Eventually, she spent too much energy spinning her head and got knocked on her rump. “Ow! What the-”

So will you accept my deal?

Nightingale rubbed her head and looked up. A marble statue of a snarling wolf. It was just a piece of rock, but it made her fur stand on end. “That you? A deal, you said?”

Yes. You help me, I help you. Fairness is something you ponies practice, yes?

“I’m not a pony exactly, but yeah.” Now she knew this was a bad idea, but her legs refused to move. She could not stop staring into its eyes. “So what’s the deal?”

It is simple. Break me out of this granite, and I help you get back your former glory. No more hesitation, no more hiding. I will guide you and give you strength.

“You sound like a motivational speaker,” she chuckled. She heard about a minotaur who visited Canterlot for one of his seminars. She sincerely regretted not visiting now. “Not that I’m going to make this deal, but how, exactly do I get you out of that thing? And who are you anyways?”

A spirit who has been trapped here by the residing alicorns. Now I merely wish to leave, not as a sideshow. A mockery. I am sure you can relate.

Nightingale scowled at the statue. “I don’t need your damn pity!” She covered her mouth with a hoof when she realized how loud her outburst was and looked around. Still nopony around.

How long are you planning to continue living in fear and persecution?

She looked down at her hoof. It was bandaged from her punch to the wall. She never thought a mere punch to the wall would be enough to break her fetlock.

“So all I have to do is break your statue?” she sighed.

Indeed. But not now. The area is too open for witnesses. Most ponies here do not realize I am trapped, and they will see me as nothing but a castle property. I have called out to whomever I could, but only you have responded to my calls.

Looking around one last time, Nightingale found herself alone more than ever. She turned around and headed back in.

I’ll remember this. I’ll be back later.

I know you will not let me down.


“Now, now, Sam,” Discord tutted, wagging a talon. “is that how you greet a friend?”

Sam grunted and pulled his sword out. “What’s the big idea, sneaking around? Is it any surprise, my reaction?”

Discord rubbed his bloody eye with his paw, while his talon twisted his beard in mock contemplation. “Oh yes, your previous job choices would leave you with quite the jumpy feet.”

“Don’t test me, or you’ll be kissing those feet, hard, ” Sam muttered. “What the hell are you doing here?”

“Oh, I’m just passing by, visiting Fluttershy, a friend.”

Sam frowned. “Flutter...that yellow one? You’re friends?”

“What? Never thought someone like me could be friendly?” He pouted and placed his talon to his head, as if about to faint. “Can’t even give me a benefit of the doubt?I tried being nice, and the first thing you do when you see me is try to kill me.” He chuckled and cartwheeled in the air. “Not that you could, anyhow.”

“Care to test that idea?” He turned around and sighed. Zecora was still behind him, her face split between confusion and fright. “Sorry you had to see that. But then again, you must have seen your share of violence, living here and all.”

It took a moment for her to gather her thoughts. She had heard the news of Discord’s “reformation”, but she did not concern herself with it before. “Wha… What is the meaning of this, both of you!”

“Aw, now you scared the zebra,” Discord tutted.

“Answer her,” Sam said. “What are you doing here?”

“I told you, I’m just checking how you’re doing. At least, before I see how your...co-workers are doing themselves.”

Sam snarled. “Remind me again why you brought them back?” If the Winds were here as long as he was, then they must have been rousing some suspicions from somewhere.

“Well, I thought it was a good idea at the time,” Discord laughed. “I wouldn’t bring you back to life with nothing to do.”

“What? Why would you think killing them’s my responsibility? Until I get back home, I couldn’t care less about them.”

“Hm? Weird” He floated upside down, his eyes matching Sam’s. “I thought you were better than that.”

“What?”

“Oh, never mind,” Discord said. “How’s your stay so far? I hope it hasn’t been too much of a hassle to fit in.”

Sam snickered. “If by “fit in”, you mean beat up group of Celestia’s guards for kicks, then yeah, I’ve been blending nicely.”

“Was that a pun?”

“That was unintentional, and you know it,” Sam grumbled and looked at Zecora, who was split between confused and scared. “If you’re done talking, I’m leaving. Don’t want another timber-critter stalking me.”

Discord smirked. “Oh yes, how was my little present? It was just a little crude draft, but what did you think?”

Sam rubbed his beard and tried to remember what he might be talking about. “It was a nice doggy, wasn’t it? Still not much compared to...you? You sent that thing after me?!”

“Now now, it’s not like it could kill you, right?” Discord asked. “After all the things you did, something like that can’t be that bad. You took care of it nicely, if that fuel cell’s to go by.”

“You were there,” Sam snarled. He rubbed his temples. “I’ve so many questions I don’t know where to start. First off, why couldn’t you be nice for once and just give me a proper fuel cell, one that doesn’t leak?”

Discord shrugged. “My magic can only do so much.”

“You brought me and three cyborgs back to life!” Sam growled. Sam would have liked nothing more than to eviscerate him as many times possible, but he stayed his hand. “Give it to me straight.”

“The answer or the fuel cell?” Discord laughed when Sam grabbed his hilt. “I kid, I kid! Anyways, I admit, my magic can do some crazy stuff, but then I thought: “What could I do to help him out? I know, I’ll give him a fuel cell! But what fun would it be to just give him a present like that?” Then I remembered what your...specialty was.”

“So that was it? Just wanted me to clean up your mess?” Sam shook his head. He did not notice he had drawn his sword, but it felt really, really, right somehow.“You must be insane. More than I took you for. Thanks to that, you made all the ponies here scared pissless of me.”

“Pssh, that’s just Celestia being Celestia.” Discord tutted. “She’s just being a mother hen. You had more important things to do, like staying alive, right?”

Sam tapped his foot and faced Zecora. “Did you know about this?”

She shook her head. Her frown deepened when she realized the implication. “My house was nearly flattened because of that beast! You did not know I reside here, at least?”

“Uh, actually-”

He did not have time to answer. Sam’s hand already wrapped around his antler. He was so mad he could not hear Zecora behind him. “You really know how to push someone’s buttons, don’t you?”

With a snap, Discord escaped his grip. “Well, I did have Celestia’s lingerie in a bunch when I stole the Elements of Harmony. Shame they got rid of it, but now I have you guys to play with.”

“Sundowner and the others are going to kill you if they hear that.” Sam paced around, trying to calm down. “Tell me: what do want-no, why did you bring us here in the first place? You still haven’t been straightforward with that tidbit.”

Discord smirked. “Oh, mostly to see what would happen. I was so terribly bored with this monotony called “peace”, but of course, you wouldn’t know what that word means, would you?”

“Stop screwing around,” Sam said, pulling his sword out.

“Poo, you’re no fun. I thought you would have a better sense of humor than your friends.” Discord pouted, “If you must know, I think you guys could help with a little...transition going on.”

“Going on?” Now Discord had his full attention.

“Yep.” Discord poofed out a glass of chocolate milk, but simply twiddled his claw in the dairy. “A lot of stuff’s going on, both in and out of Equestria. And you and your friends seem the most adequate for the job of keeping a leash on those stuff until Celestia can gear up.”

“You expect us to be sitters?” Sam chuckled. “The only thing we’re good at is killing. How is that supposed to make anything better?”

“"One sword keeps another in the sheath.” Ever heard of that?” Discord let the glass hover next to him while he pulled out a crystal behind his back. A light pour out, showing a small hologram of a familiar black cyborg. “Your other friend used to live by that. Shame I couldn’t get him to join you, hmm.”

“Whatever you got planned, It doesn’t matter to me,”

“I don’t know, Sam~” Discord sang. “Even if it doesn’t, I doubt your conscious would let them go so easy, especially after that big one stabbing your pops right in the mid-”

He never got to finish. In a blink, Sam’s hand was wrapped around his throat while the other was at his hilt.

“I knew it,” Sam whispered through gritted teeth. “I knew someone’s been poking around my head.”

“Sam, no!” Zecora tugged at him, but Sam kept going. He raised his sword. The blade started burning away Discord’s beard.

“Zecora, is that you?”

Sam gasped and reflexively released Discord, who let out a soft “Ha!” before snapping his talons. Sam blinked for the realization to kick in and his hands began shaking.

“Discord, when I find you, I’m shredding you into pulp, you hear me?!” Sam sliced a nearby tree behind him, smirking a little as the tree slowly fell over, revealing behind the smoking stump...Fluttershy.

And her eyes were glued at the sword, which not a second ago, was inches from cutting her.

Sam cursed. “Oh, it’s you. Uh...what are you doing here?”

Fluttershy snapped alert and scampered back, tripping over a loose root. “Oh! Uhm-it’s just me! I-I-I mean, don’t-I never-please don’t!”

Sam shrugged. “Don’t what? All I want’s Dis-” Sam bit his tongue. He looked at the smoking stump of the tree. “Just-ah, crap.” He was never good with explaining himself to curious civilians. He looked at Zecora, half-hoping for some support..

Zecora was just as off-guard as he was, but she tried to keep calm. “Dear Fluttershy, do not be afraid. Sam won’t harm you and has stayed his blade.”

“Oh Zecora!” Fluttershy sighed in relief. “Then it was you I heard! I just heard some things in the forest and thought it was some injured animal, and then I heard...him.”

Sam did not think his face could get any redder, and he snarled to hide it. “I was just leaving. You better do the same before I change my mind.” He glanced at Zecora one more time. “You coming? Or did I prove I can take care of myself here?”

Zecora frowned at his cocky grin. “I suppose so, Sam, Go ahead without me.” She turned to the still-shaky Fluttershy. “I’ll explain, Fluttershy, about him, Discord and the tree.”

Fluttershy kept her eyes on the human as he walked out of a clearing. “Are you sure? Not to sound bad, but how do you know he won’t-”

“In case you’re wondering,” Sam called without looking back. “I won’t hurt anyone, at least not before they start something first.”

Zecora stifled a laugh. “You have my word that he will keep his. But now, what are your questions about all this?” she asked as the two walked far behind him. They made sure he would not walk out of their sight.

“So, uh, what happened, if you don’t mind me asking?” Fluttershy started, smiling slowly.


Sam exhaled when he entered the town. It was a familiar, homely sight, though far from nostalgic. The air was crisp, the sun was beaming, and ponies were gawking at his return.

At least they’re not screaming anymore. Now where to first?

Meanwhile, Zecora had just finished up explaining to Fluttershy. The pegasus seemed a lot calmer, and had been talking to Zecora about her day until the two noticed the stares Sam and they received.

“It seems Sam’s still regarded as the town’s pariah,” Zecora huffed. “Even though his timberwolf slaying should label him messiah.”

Fluttershy looked around. She was more than happy with a friend next to her, but it still felt like everypony’s eyes were on her as well. Probably were, too. “Yeah. It looks like everypony’s still scared of him, huh?”

“You’re not one to talk,” Sam said. “Aren’t you the one most afraid of me?”

Fluttershy blushed. “Uh...sorry about my reaction earlier. I didn’t know Discord would do something so devious...well, no, now that I think about it, he’s still like that, but I’m sure he never meant harm.”

“Sorry about the little display there, but you’d be pissed too if someone’s poked around your head.” He looked around and smiled at a familiar landmark. “Just gonna visit someone and I’ll be out.”

“You’re visiting the mayor again?” Zecora asked. “If so, what then?”

“Get a map, and leave town, probably the country outright if I have to,” Sam said. “Not getting anywhere staying here.”

“You’re leaving?” Fluttershy asked, but Sam was already jogging to town hall. She followed Zecora behind him.

“Yeah. Shouldn’t the two of you get going too?” Sam reached the door and looked around. The stares lessened, although he still saw them catching a peek out the side of their heads.

Zecora smiled. “I hope you had not forgotten about your pay. I’ve some bits, if you wish. to purchase during your stay.”

“You sure?” Sam frowned. “That wasn’t so much of an “escort” as much as it was a “stroll.”” He knocked on the door and tapped his feet. “Are you pitying me because I’m new?” He had an annoyed smile. He could not fully hate her, especially with that all-knowing smirk she was wearing.

“Not at all, I just want to keep my end of the deal.” She pulled out a small pouch from her bag and handed it to him. “Twenty bits should be enough for supplies and a meal.”

Sam rolled his eyes. “You’re not taking “no” for an answer, are you?” He grabbed a bit and eyed it. After a few seconds, it bent like a clam shell. “Hmm, not bad for a part-time job.”

“Uh, excuse me, Minua-I mean, Sam?”

He was so distracted by Zecora that he forgot he knocked the door not a minute ago. Mayor Mare’s head peeked out and her eyes were bigger than normal. “You’re back? I thought you were being hospitalized back at the castle.”

Sam groaned. “You expect me to stay down after what everyone saw?”

Mayor laughed nervously, looking around. “Fluttershy? And Zecora? What are you doing here?”

Fluttershy shared her fidgeting. “Hello, Mayor. I’m sorry, but I don’t know what’s going on as much as you. Sorry.”

“Oh no, it’s not too much a bother. I’m guessing that Zecora’s been…introducing you to town?”

Sam sighed. “Look, I can already tell half the townspeople don’t want me here, so if you can just get me the biggest map of the country you have, I’ll be out of your hair.”

Mayor’s face fell. She would have slapped herself if there were nopony else here. “That’s not what, I mean-”

The sound of a door slamming made everyone jump. Commandeering a blue cannon, Pinkie Pie stared at the group with sharp eyes.

“I found you~!” She pressed the vent and a cloud of streamers and confetti filled the room. “Did you like the cake I left you? I made it myself!”

Mayor and Zecora looked at Sam. His face was an amalgam of disgust and loathing. “Why is it always you?”

“I saw you outside, walking here, so I dragged my party cannon with me as soon as I could!”

“I don’t need a party.” Sam crossed his arms. “What I need is a map of the country and something to eat along the-”

“That’s perfect!” Pinkie pulled out a red envelope from her mane and handed it to a perplexed Sam. “Come by to Sugarcube Corner! We got all the food you could want! Cake, candies, pies-”

“Meat?”

Pinkie froze and gulped. “Uhhhhhhh, not exactly...no. We have everything else though!” She tried to ignore his teeth bared in a intimidating smirk.

“Then wait for me at this Sugarcube place. I’m busy right now.”

“Oooooh no, I’m not falling for that!” Pinkie recovered her own grin and aimed her cannon at him. “It’s been over two days since you came by town, and you’re two days overdue for your party!”

Sam leaned over to Mayor. “Is she always this unscrewed?”

“It’s a...Ponyville tradition,” Mayor said. “Pinkie Pie works at the bakery, Sugarcube Corner, and throws parties in honor of newcomers to the town. I’m guessing you forgot about yours?” she asked hopefully.

“In case you forgot, I was a wanted man back then.”

“But you’re here now, so you’re free, right?” Pinkie asked. “You can’t be in a rush to leave a place you just arrived at!”

Sam leaned against the wall and closed his eyes. On one hand, he just wanted to be out of here, and was willing to camp it out if he had to. On the other, he got free food at the cost of stares and answering questions. “Hmm, tough choice.”

“If you’re in no rush, Sam, I think it would be the wisest bet,” suggested Zecora. “Eat, rest, make some friends, and you’d be set.”

Sam shook his head. He expected something like this would happen. “And what about you, then? You want me to go?”

Fluttershy whimpered and stared at her hooves, her tactic of staying invisible faltering.. Why would she support Sam was clearly not in an agreeable mood, and what reason did she have to bringing someone like him to other ponies?

Then again, helping other ponies is what Pinkie does with earnest. Not the best for the job, but definitely the most enthusiastic. After everything Sam went through after his arrival and from his sour tone, he could not have a positive image of ponies now.

“Um, I think a party...might be a good idea? I mean, you don’t have to stay for long, but I’m sure you’re a little tired after what you’ve been through?” Fluttershy hid a little behind her mane but kept eye contact.

Sam stared back, waiting, but she held fast. If she was lying, she would have crumpled on spot, but her insistence told otherwise.

“You’re serious about this?” When she kept staring, he crumpled the invitation. “Alright, I’ll give.” He could not help but smile with the pegasus.

“YAAAAY!” He shook his head, still smiling, when he heard another cannon fire. Pinkie was already at the door.

Sam walked to her and looked at Zecora and Mayor, who both wore looks of approval. “I’ll buy her throwing parties, but how does she prepare them so quickly and frequently?”

Pinkie tutted and pointed to her cannon. “This ain’t a party cannon for nothing, duh! I’ve already sent out invitations to everypony, so all we have to do is get to Sugarcube Corner and prepare!”

Sam tossed the crumpled invite to a nearby trash bin and walked out the door. “Just how many do you think will show up at a party featuring a wanted man as the guest of honor?”

“Not many with that attitude, that’s for sure! Come on, Fluttershy!”

Mayor laughed alongside Zecora, however uncomfortable she was. “Do you really believe this will help?” she whispered.

“If not, it will help us get to know more about him,” Zecora answered with the same volume. “He has been through much by Discord, so his anger’s to its brim. A party will do well to reaffirm his trust and calm his whims.”

“A threefer?” Sam chuckled. “A new record for you?”

Mayor snickered as the white of Zecora’s coat crimsoned. “Well, is it?” She burst out laughing when the zebra frowned deeper.


“Come on, what’s stopping me from bucking him out of Ponyville right now?”

“Maybe because ya can’t, Rainbow?” Applejack said worriedly. “We saw how he beat the hide outta those guards. What makes you think you can?”

“Uh, maybe the fact I can move at sonic speed and he can’t?” She slammed the table, rattling the cups and plates.

“Even so, don’t pick a fight with him while in town.” Rarity said as she rearranged the glassware to their original positions. “But why Pinkie would have him for a party is rather...worrying, don’t you think?”

“Yeah, but Pinkie’s never turned down a party for any occasion, has she?” Rainbow looked around. “And where’s Fluttershy? She’s almost never late for anything.”

“Preoccupied with a patient, I bet,” Rarity said. “but probably hiding from Sam. Did you see how much she trembled at the injuries the guardponies had?” She sipped the tea, but still shivered at the recollection. “She didn’t know who to help out first, she was in such a shock.”

“At least no one got killed in that tussle,” Applejack added, sipping her own cup. “Friendly hooffight, nothin’. And did you see the smile he had on him? And he laughed when he got pinned down, too.”

Rarity drained her cup. “Please, darling. The last thing I need are nightmares of that fight.”

A loud slam rung the air. Everypony stopped talking and looked at the front door. Sam, Pinkie, Zecora and for some reason, Mayor Mare walked in, the latter two looking nervous while the human hummed.

“At least the party’s modest.” He looked around for a chair, but none of them were human-sized, so he stood while Zecora and Mayor found seats. “How long have you been waiting for?”

Applejack, despite her shock, was the first to respond. “Uh...about thirty minutes? Pinkie said she saw you enter town, so she invited us here as fast as she could.”

He looked down at the pink pony, who held her chest out in pride. “You really are fast, huh?”

Pinkie smiled brightly. “It’s part of my job, of course!”

He kneeled at the cake presented as the centerpiece of the table. “Cake and tea…? Not to sound rude, but isn’t there something more...solid?”

Pinkie rubbed her chin in thought. “Hmmm, something else? Let me check in the kitchen. Until then-” she stuck her head out of the kitchen door “-feel free to chat without me!”

The door closed and everyone paused, aside from Sam who inspected an empty teacups.

“So...thanks for the party.”

“Ya can thank Pinkie for that,” Applejack said with the same tone.

“Look, I just want a last-minute lunch and a map before I go. I got money to pay for this anyways.”

“Sam, it’s a party.” Mayor interjected. She loaded a plate with a cake and pushed it to him. “I admit, though, this isn’t like one of Pinkie’s regulars.”

“Yeah, we figured ya weren't the party-type, ya know?” Applejack scratched her head and fiddled with her hat. “Still, Pinkie Pie tried to invite everypony in town, but when they learned that the guest of honor was-”

“-someone that was taken in the guards, they stayed out of it?”

Applejack groaned, biting her lips, but the answer was clear.

“You can’t blame them, but then why did all of you show up?”

“Because we’re Pinkie’s friends, and we can’t just turn her down just because someone like you’re showing up.” Rainbow said with a cocky smirk.

“Sure.” Sam took a bite of his cake and immediately gagged.

“What’s wrong?” Mayor asked, startled.

“Ugh, how much sugar’s in that thing?” He smacked his lips and drank some tea. “That would have killed a diabetic back home.”

“Should I get some coffee?” Mayor asked as she stood up.

“That’d be great. Thanks.”

Mayor walked into the kitchen but not before exchanging smiles with Sam, who gave a small wave. He returned to his tea and noticed everypony staring. “What? What is it?”

“Not to sound insensitive,” Rarity said. “but I think you’ve made a...friend.”

Sam laughed. “A friend? Please, we’ve known each other for an hour since I first met her. And in case you don’t remember, we were surrounded by guards ready to kill me.”

“But if what she told us is true, she’s the first pony you’ve talked with.” Applejack said. “Did she...give a good introduction of the town?”

“No, just about herself.” Sam took a wary bite of the cake. “Mayor Mare, seriously. Who names all of you?”

“Uhh, our parents?” Rainbow answered, earning some giggles from her friends.

“Funny,” Sam groaned. Suddenly, he heard footsteps out the front door. “Who’s there?”

Before anypony could answer, the front door opened, revealing a very pink alicorn, a purple miniature version and a purple baby dragon beside her. She looked at the table and her face brightened when she saw the party. “So this is where the gang is!” She walked to Sam and gave a curt bow. “Sorry about the abruptness. I’m Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, although everypony calls me Candence.”

She finished by raising a hoof for a shake, but Sam just slowly nodded and looked at the dragon. “And you are?”

“Uh...I’m Spike.”

“A reptile or something, I’m guessing?”

“A dragon, actually, but I guess that’s right too.” Spike fiddled with his claws. He did not know what to expect but now he had seconds thoughts. Mostly due to how the creature towered over him even while sitting.

Sam smiled and leaned forward. “Can you breathe fire?”

At this however, Spike brightened up. “Yeah. What do you need lighting?”

Twilight rose from her seat. “Spike! Don’t encourage him!”

Too late. Sam got up and pulled out his sword, earning some gasps from everypony and Spike. “Don’t worry, I’m not going to cut anything.” He made sure not to point the sword’s tip at Spike when he lowered it to Spike’s head-level. “Try lighting that.”

Spike stammered for a moment, muttering something about how he was afraid he would accidentally send the sword to Celestia, but he relented and sprayed green fire over the blade.

Sam smiled when the green turned red as his sword was embezzled with flame, “Nice. Can’t have a dragon without fire.” Careful not to get too excited, he sheathed his sword,

“Aww, come on!” Rainbow Dash popped up. “That was wicked!”

As Sam laughed and rejoined the table, Twilight walked up to Cadence. “So why, exactly, did you want to see him?”

“I just wanted to see the one who got Princess Celestia’s attention.” Cadence passed her and Spike a plate of cake. “Not to mention-”

“FIRE!!!”

Everyone’s heads whipped to the kitchen door, where Pinkie and Mayor stood, carrying a tray of steaming bread and coffee. The baker looked around wildly for any sign of conflagration. “I smelled fire just now! Where is it!?”

Sam stared at his sword, safely stored. Spike, meanwhile was trying to avoid eye-contact. “Extinguished.” He took a coffee from Mayor. “Thanks.”

Mayor smiled and placed the tray down. “You’re wel-oh! Princess Cadence!”

“Hello, Mayor. I was just visiting Twilight for the day.”

“Why does that sentence reek of a lie?” Sam scoffed. He sipped his coffee, ignoring the glare Twilight shot him.

“Where’s the fire!?”

Again, heads swiveled to the door, this time staring at a white stallion looking around wildly. “Cadence! Twilight! Is everypony al...right…?”

When everyone laughed at the look on his face, Pinkie raised a timid hoof. “Uh...sorry! Heh, false alarm!” She pushed forward her tray of bread, her smile reforming. “Cinnamon bun?”

“Yeah, we’re fine, Shining,” Cadence giggled, taking one. “More importantly, this is Sam, the guest Princess Celestia had over yesterday. Sam, this is Shining Armor, my husband.”

Shining saw Sam frowning at him and he did the same. “Oh? So this is the...creature that incapacitated all the guards?”

Sam grimaced at the word, but gave a cocky grin. “What? You don’t think I could have?”

“No, I’m just wondering what you’re doing out of your cell,” Shining said, smirking when Sam frowned again.

“I was told I could leave after Mayor testified. I’ve also been told that it’s been a full day since my hospitalization, and I was feeling fine by then, so I helped myself out.”

“Then what’s with trapping Prince Blueblood in toilet paper?”

A mirthful “What?!” escaped Rainbow and Rarity, but Sam ignored them. “He just caught me while I was in the bathroom. I couldn’t have him scream like a pansy and wake everyone up. Or was that too courteous of me?”

“Bright Shield said you attacked Blueblood in the bathroom.” Shining was struggling to not laugh along with everypony. “Do you have any idea of the charges against you?”

“Violation of privacy, assault, sexual harassment, breaking and entering-wait, can’t be that if I was brought in so...that’s it, I think?”

Shining blinked a couple times. “Uh...that’s about it, yeah?” His eyes quickly narrowed. “How are you so familiar with criminal offenses?”

“I used to kill and clean up corpses for a living. Why shouldn’t I?”

Twilight covered her mouth. Everypony’s eyes widened and they were staring at the pair, slackjawed. “That’s right. You said you were a cleaner. You were serious?” Twilight mentally facehoofed. Why did she think a party would be the best idea again?

“Why wouldn’t I be?” Sam said. “Not the best job, but it payed, and I quit after after a few years. You’d be surprised at how many clients I got, needing something either incinerated or bleached out.”

The ponies’ colourful face lost a shade of color, but Shining’s face was stuck in a glare. He turned to the his sister. “And you’re throwing him a party, why?”

Pinkie, whose cheeks were filled with cinnamon bun, laughed nervously before swallowing. “Uh...because we-I mean, I couldn’t throw him one when he first visited?”

“Shining, he said he’ll be leaving soon,” Cadence said. “Don’t start a scene.”

“Wait a sec.” Sam waved his hand. “You know Bright Shield?”

“Yes? What about him?”

“Did you know about his temper?”

Shining looked away, grimacing. “I’m his predecessor, the last Captain of the Royal Guard before I became Prince of the Crystal Empire.”

“Really? Does celebrities like you two visit this town often?” Sam asked, interest somewhat roused.

“Celeb visits are more of the more normal things that happen in Ponyville, as everypony can attest,” Shining said and everypony nodded. “But yes, I knew about his temperament. But he was willing work and change himself. That’s why he became who he is now. Or at least, was.”

“What? He got fired?” Sam asked.

“No. Just suspended until his head cools. Why do you ask?” Shining thanked Mayor, who returned with a plate of cake and coffee. His grateful smile did not last long, but Twilight was thankful he was warming up at least a bit.

“It’s just that so far, I think he’s the only one who can do anything if the Winds of Destruction show up.”

That name again. It was only a name, but the way Sam said it and the damage they could cause made it as if they were some eldritch monsters. “Winds of Destruction?” Zecora asked. “Who are they?”

Sam finished his coffee with a big gulp. “Commanders of a private military from my world.”

Shining finished his cup the same. “Cyborgs like you?”

“For the record, I’m not that much of....” Sam clenched his right fist and pointed it at Shining, all humor lost in his tone and eyes. “What do you know about cyborgs? Who’d you hear it from?”

Shining silently cursed himself. He gave his word to Celestia that he would keep his investigation undercover. Never thought a single word would give him away like that.

“I heard a couple tidbits from the guards you beat up” He tried to sound honest as possible. Other than the source, it was all true. “Something about your sword being able to cut a solid anvil, deflecting all of Bright Shield’s attacks, so I came to investigate myself.”

Sam growled and stood up. “So you’re keeping tabs on me? You seriously think you can keep up?”

“Sam!” Cadence spoke up, frowning. “Shining, don’t pick a fight with him!”

“Like he did with the guards?” Shining was glaring at Sam now. “What was that about, anyways? You just wanted to cause trouble for us?”

“Just a warm-up for me, and to set the standard of what the Winds can do. You want to protect your citizens? Get better guards.”

“So you think we’re not up to par?” Sam’s smirk was enough of an answer. “The Canterlot guards are some of the best we have, and Bright’s no pushover.”

“Sure, that captain was decent. If only he was that determined to kill me all the time.” Sam grabbed his hilt. “What? You think you have a chance at beating me?”

“Sam!” Twilight urged. She looked at Cadence, who grabbed Shining’s shoulder. “Don’t pick a fight! If Princess Celestia knows you hurt anymore ponies-”

“Then she’s dumber than I thought if she thought she could leash me.” Sam walked to the door. “Want to see me in action, prince? Come on. After today, I can add “regicide” to my resume.” He exited, with Mayor and Zecora behind him, trying to get him back in and apologize

Shining, meanwhile, was hounded by Cadence and and everypony else.

“Shining, are you out of your mind?!” Twilight shook his shoulders. “I told you what he could do! Why didn’t you just leave him alone?”

“I’m not going to fight him,” Shining answered. “I was ordered by Princess Celestia to investigate him. Tell me, has he been answering any of your questions, Twi, honestly?”

“Uhh…” She rubbed her head. “We...never got to asking that many questions yet.”

“Let me guess: after what you saw him do, you’re still antsy about him?” Shining asked, looking at Fluttershy, who nodded behind Rainbow.

“So?” The cyan mare started. “Pinkie’s just throwing him an overdue welcome party. Besides, the less we have anything to do with him, the better.”

Shining shook his head. “The Princess doesn’t think so, or she wouldn’t have brought me. We need as much answers as we could, and if hospitality and meals isn’t enough, maybe a good tussle will.”

“What?!” Cadence screamed. “Shining, you can’t be thinking information’s more important than your life? The princess said that he was holding back during his fight with the guards at that was the only reason none of them are dead!”

“Even if he uses his sword, I just need to hold out and push all of his buttons.” Shining looked at Twilight. “The Princess gave me some interesting details. Did Sam say anything during his fight?”

Twilight tried to remember. “Yeah. Pretty much about how he was a vigilante where he came from.” She shivered. She could not recollect the specifics, but she knew he said he killed many during his life. “And that he said no one could stop him.”

“Exactly. He tries not to, but he likes to talk, just not in front of strangers.”

“But we’ve known him for at least a day, and I threw his a party just for him!” Pinkie whined. “What did I do wrong?” She asked, tearing up.

Shining patted her head. “You didn’t do anything wrong. I just think we need to pressure him a little more.”

“But by fighting?” Cadence asked, herself crying slightly. She knew of her husband’s assignment, but she never thought he would go about it like this.

“He did it before, so he could do it again. He was also the one who requested the fight, remember?” Shining walked to the door and smiled. “Don’t worry, Cadence, I’m not going to get hurt.”

“Couldn’t you have brought help?” she asked, wiping her eyes. “And how do you know this is going to help at all? You could...die.”

“I’m not going to die.” Shining said sternly. “He’s not going to kill me. It would mean too much trouble to him in the future. And undercover pegasus guards are posted in the Everfree just in case.” He gave a smirk. “And I want you there, Twily.”

“M-me?” she stammered. “What for?”

“To write down everything. What he says, what he does, how he fights, everything. Cadence-” he turned to his wife “call the Ponyville hospital. In case of accidents. The rest of you girls-” he pointed to everypony else. “-might want to stay out of this. This is too dangerous for civilians.”

“Like heck we are!” Rainbow hovered so close to Shining her muzzle pressed against his. “You don’t think we’re going to back down just because he’s putting on a “tough-guy” act! Come on, let’s go!”

“Ya sure you’re just not antsy to see him fight again?” Applejack asked, eyebrow raised. Nevertheless, they all got up and walked to the door, leaving Shining stammering.

“Hey, wait!” he yelled as he chased after them. “I’m serious! You girls don’t think you can take him on, do you?”

The door closing, Cadence looked at her, doubtful. “You sure about this, Twilight? If he’s this insistent, then I’ll respect his decision, but you?”

“Yeah, I’m alright,” Twilight said. “I just never saw my brother so heated about something. But I gotta say, he’s planned this out pretty good.”

“That’s not the whole story,” she spoke up. “He spoke with the guards, and I think he’s got something against him.”

Twilight frowned. “A grudge?” Shining was a strict guard, but he was only doing his job.

“He was their captain, you know, I’m sure he feels something for it. Don’t you feel like standing up when you see a friend get picked on?” When Twilight nodded, Cadence patted her head. “I just hope he isn’t too far over his head.”


“Between the edge of town and the forest? Perfect.”

“Yep. In case things get hairy, Cadence will call the hospital, and their EMS will be ready.”

“Isn’t this a little too much, just for a fight?” Sam took his position at one side of the road. “First a party, now a fight. You ponies got some twisted sense of hospitality.”

“The ponies want you out of their town.” Shining stood at the other side. “And I’m going to show you why you should.”

“If this is how you treat guests, I would never leave if I wanted to get back home.”

“Yeah, until one of us kicks your rump out.”

“Boys, boys!” Cadence called out. “If this keeps up, go get a room.”

Everyone, even Mayor, broke into laughter. Shining was blushing, unknown if out of embarrassment or disapproval, while Sam smiled at her.

“What’s this? Her Majesty’s so eager to see her husband dominated?”

“Please,” Shining said, his face returning to normal shade. “she just wants to see her husband wipe the floor with you and get to spend some time with Twilight while in-town.”

Pinkie stared at the pair, rubbing her chin with a rare serious look. “Princess Cadence might be right.”

“Right about what?” Rainbow asked, still recovering from her giggles. “Getting a room?”

“I think she means about her talking about how he’s trying to get Sam to talk,” Twilight answered, her quill moving so fast it threatened to rip the parchment. “She’s right about him trying to level with him, but if they spend too much time trash-talking, things are going to...get ugly.”

“I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’d prefer name-calling if it meant these two could resolve this problem non-violently,” Rarity said.

“Careful there, Rare.” Rainbow nudged her shoulder. “You’re starting to sound like a friend of his.”

“Oh, she just wants to stop their fighting,” Fluttershy whimpered. “But with Sam and Shining Armor so insistent, don’t you think you could say something, Twilight?”

Twilight bit her quill. “I don’t know if it would help. I might probably heat things up even more. If Sam sees more guards, he could just run out of here.”

They nodded in unison and looked back at the pair, now ready.

“No need to shake hooves this time,” Shining said. “and if you want, you can use your sword. I specialize in shielding spells, after all.”

“Thanks, but that decision’s up to me.” Sam looked around, hoping for a signal, a breeze or a random tumbleweed, to cue the fight. “We should start now before we bore the crowd.”

“Ladies first.”

Sam snarled and kicked off the ground. Grabbing his hilt, he-

“Captain!”

Sam nearly tripped. He was a couple meters away from Shining before an unknown voice called out. He composed himself and saw the speaker: a familiar white pegasus stained with dirt.

The pegasus stopped next to Shining, gasping for air. “Captain-we’re-there’s trouble-!”

“For Celestia’s sake, speak in proper Equestrian, lieutenant!” Shining said, gawking at his drained state.

Sam noticed the pegasus had the coat of his legs splattered not with dirt but blood and realized the pony was Sky High. “What are you doing here? So you have been spying on me?”

“No.” Cadence stepped in. “He and his team was just investigating the forest after the timberwolf incident, making sure it was not suffered too much damage.” She ran up to the guard, worry spread on her face. “Have you been attacked by the animals, lieutenant?”

“No!” he panted. “We’ve been ambushed! Everypony else is dead!”

“Who?” Shining was screaming at him to keep him from waning. “Who did this?!”

“Another human, sir!”

Everypony stopped moving and stared at the shivering guard, who hardened his glare. “It was! He was massive, and carried a giant...something that tore us apart!”

Shining could not find the energy to reprimand him for leaving his subordinates and found himself huffing along. “Is the human still there?”

“Don’t know, sir!”

Everypony jerked their heads at the forest’s direction, expecting something to pounce out at any moment. Mayor was the first to break out of the trance.

“Captain Shining Armor, the town is right behind us, you need to call for reinforcement! Princess Twilight Sparkle, you must send a letter to Princess Celestia and-Sam?”

She saw him walk towards the forest, his hand ready to draw his sword.

“Sam, where are you going?” she called out, her voice trembling. “You’re not thinking of going in there?”

“How’d you guess that?”

“Sam, wait!” Zecora said. “It is never safe to enter the forest alone. Don’t wander by yourself when a killer is known.”

“Besides, what are you going to do when you find him?” Twilight asked. The human was clearly a Wind and she did not want to know what would happen if the two met. “You’re not thinking of fighting him?”

“No, just too see what happened.” He turned around and smiled. “It’s been years since I cleaned anything up, but I think you’re going to need some help.”

Author's Note:

(fixed/rewritten 19/10/2014)