• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 1,623 Views, 48 Comments

Revolution Equestria - SeriousTWILEY



Equestria finds itself stuck between the opposing forces of two human factions. Faced with catastrophic collateral damage, the Equestrians must find a way to reconcile the warring humans. However peace is the last thing on humanity's mind.

  • ...
17
 48
 1,623

Bad News

Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville, Equestria
March 25th, 2060

The sun rose slowly over Ponyville’s most famous apple orchard, casting rich orange over the meadows and trees. A single ray of light poured through the curtains in the Apple family home, landing on the face of a sleeping human. McPhee winced slightly as the light shone on him, his eyes slowly opening. With a small groan, he sat up, careful not to awake the orange mare that was curled up in the bed with him.

“Damn…” he mumbled, “Wait… damn… DAMN!!! SHITSHITSHITSHIT!!!” he sprung out of the bed and began to frantically get dressed. It was too late though, and the radio that he had left on the nightstand was crackling angrily.

“McPhee!!! Come in you lazy sack of shit!!!” a voice screamed from the radio’s speaker.

Eric grabbed the radio and took off out of the room, not even getting a chance to say good morning to Applejack.

“Ugh sorry Colonel, I was-” he began to respond

“I gave you permission to spend the night in town provided that you’d get your pasty gringo ass back here before 0600!!! Where the hell are you!!!” the voice of Manendez bellowed

McPhee showed a small smirk, “Sir, ‘gringo’ is a racial slur. You wouldn’t want me to report such a thing would you?” he said while trying to hide the amusement in his voice.

“I don’t have time for your sense of humor today to stupid gringo, get your ass back here before I have you cleaning latrines in Siberia!” responded Manendez with no sign of happiness present in his voice.

McPhee finished tying his boots, and left the still sleeping Apple residence. As he made his way into the rising sun, he noticed a small cloud of smoke rapidly approaching. As it came nearer it revealed itself to be a grey jeep, speeding down the dirt road at an unsafe velocity.

“Well I’ll be damned” Eric whispered as the jeep’s occupants came into view.

The vehicle came to a stop just short of McPhee, inside was a tired looking Anon, a sleeping Twilight and a sleeping Spike.

“Ello mate!” said McPhee cheerfully, “What are you… wait… is that a Fascist jeep?” McPhee said as he examined the eagle painted on the side.

“Yes, it is” said Anon calmly, “Get in Eric, we’re going to the FOB.”

“Just as well mate, I was just headin’ down in that direction. Now how the bloody ’ell did you get yourselves an ANS jeep?” Eric asked in his normal sunshiney demeanor.

“You got a radio?” Anon asked as they began moving again.

“Radio? Uh… yeah, here Anon” Eric replied as he handed over the radio.

“Do me a favor will ya? Check on Spike and Twilight.” Anon said, keeping his eyes on the road.

McPhee nodded, and as he twisted in his seat to take a look at the non-human passengers he heard Anon speak up into the radio.

“Columbus come in, this is Kommandant Mous.”

“Copy that Kommandant, this is Manendez. What’s the problem? Wait… I thought you were in Stalliongrad, what are you doing?”

“I’m wasting time by talking to you is what I’m doing.” Anon snapped back, “Get Gramov to meet me at the FOB, tell him that it’s an emergency. Call all the group commanders in Equestria and prepare to send a message to IOFR high command.”

Anon couldn’t see it, but Manendez’s expression grew far less annoyed and far more grave.

“What’s happening?” he asked sternly, worry overtaking his anger at being talked to like a green recruit.

“You’ll find out when I get there, just get all that shit together…” said Anon angrily, “Sir” he added.

Twenty minutes later Boris, Juarez, Kolba, Manendez, Gramov, and McPhee sat around a table in Camp Columbus’s only concrete building.

Anon entered the room and was immediately greeted by Manendez’s temper.

“What the fuck is all this about you little shit?” Manendez was practically yelling, “This better be damn important for you to drag us all here.”

Anon ignored him, “Have they arrived yet?” he said, turning to Gramov.

“They should have landed a few minutes ago, they’ll be here any minute.” the old man replied.

“Gentlemen” a soft female voice caught the attention of all the men in the room. In the doorway stood Princess Cadence and Shining Armor.

“Ah, the Prince and Princess of the Crystal Empire” said Gramov politely, “I sincerely hope that-”

“We don’t have time for that” Anon and Shining said simultaneously, suddenly all eyes were on them, and they silently glared at each other for a moment.

“First of all, where is Twilight?” Shining asked with worry.

“Safe with my medical experts.” said Juarez calmly.

“Don’t be so rude Shining!” Cadence harshly whispered to him as she jabbed him in the side with a hoof. “Please do tell us why you had us flown in from the Crystal Empire Field Marshall.” Cadence said politely to Gramov.

“Well Princess, Celestia and Luna were on their own diplomatic missions, and Princess Twilight looked like she could use a rest.” Gramov responded pleasantly, “As for why we needed a Princess here at all you’ll have to ask Kommandant Mous.”

Anon had been tapping his foot impatiently during their whole interaction, finally he had a chance to speak, “We’re not the only human presence in Equestria.” He said flatly.

He was met with stunned silence.

Anon continued with a deep breath, “The ANS have apparently made allies with the Griffin Kingdoms, and last night they launched an attack against Equestria. They’ve taken Stalliongrad and they didn’t seem to plan on stopping there.”

After a moment of utter quiet, Shining spoke up, “Impossible” he said, “How could they have hit Stalliongrad so fast? Why haven’t we heard anything?”

Anon opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted, “Blitzkrieg” the voice of Kolba rang out.

“Blitzkrieg? What is Blitzkrieg?” Shining asked with narrowed eyes.

“A Fascist specialty” Kolba responded while gazing at the table, “If Anon’s report is accurate, then that means that they hit Stalliongrad quickly and brutally. They’re probably on the move again by now.”

Cadence slowly shifted her gaze from Shining to Kolba, “What can we do?” she asked in a shaky voice.

Anon turned to look at Cadence, “Field Marshall?” he addressed Gramov, his eyes still fixed on Cadence.

“Kommandant.” Gramov’s reply seemed distant.

“Have you informed the high command?”

“Yes Anon, I have.”

“Then Princess Cadence, all we can do is wait for a response.” Anon said coldly.

Shining Armor’s face distorted into pure rage. “What! You have to be kidding me!”

Anon already was on his way to the door, as he approached it, Boris got up and followed him.

“You coward!” Shining yelled after them, “You can’t think for yourselves so you just sit around and wait for orders?”

Anon didn’t respond or look back. Boris cast a sympathetic glance towards Cadence before he left the room.

Boris and Anon had been sitting in silence outside the conference room for twenty minutes. Anon leaned over and lit up a cigarette. It glowed faintly between Anon’s fingers as Boris gave him a worried look.

Anon glared back at him, “What the hell are you staring at?” he said.

“You’re smoking.” Boris replied

“So?” Anon asked before taking another drag.

“The last time I saw you smoking you had just blown a sixteen year old’s brains out. So what? You entering your little ‘cold blooded killer’ mentality?” Boris asked with raised eyebrows.

“Fuck off.” Anon said in Russian.

The creaking of a door on hinges caught the attention of both Boris and Anon. Gramov’s face showed a look of genuine concern when he entered.

“What did they say sir?” Boris asked.

“They say that they have troops standing by to intervene, and they have crews standing by to demolish Columbus and evacuate our guys from Equestria.” Gramov looked Anon in the eye, “They say that it’s up to me. Leave or fight. But I want your opinion Anon.”

Anon dropped his cigarette, “Why me?” he asked.

“Because you seem to get along well with ponies in general, especially that purple princess. Maybe it’s just an old man’s hunch, but I think that you can make a better decision here than I can.”

Anon couldn’t seem to look Gramov in the eye.

“I’ll give you a few minutes.” the old man said before departing.

Boris looked towards Gramov as he left, and then back to Anon once the door was closed. Anon was leaning against the table, hunched over and rubbing his chin.
After a few moments Boris spoke up, “You seriously have to think about this?” he asked.
Anon raised his head, and stared straight ahead, “No… No I don’t.” he said before heading towards the door.
“What exactly are you going to tell him?” Boris asked.

Anon put his hand on the doorknob, “I’m going to ask him to evacuate the area.”

“What…?” Boris asked, his eyes becoming like saucers.

“You heard me.” Anon replied flatly.

“You’re going to abandon them?” Boris asked, flabbergasted.

“We can’t risk another war with the ANS, I can’t ask our men to die for this.” Anon said as he turned around, looking Boris square in the eye.

“The cost is irrelevant. The ponies are innocent, we can’t ask them to face the Greycoats alone.” said Boris as he took a step towards Anon.

Anon responded by slumping down in a chair, “Please Boris, I don’t have the energy for this.”

“Apparently you don’t have the balls to request an intervention.”

Anon sat up straight and gave Boris a piercing glare, “You know why we can’t get involved with this. I won’t let more people die because of stupid decisions higher up.”

“It doesn’t matter who dies, its about what we stand for, what the IOFR stands for.”

“We can’t be the world police Boris. Or the interdimensional police in this case. The loss of life, for us and the Equestrians… it would be catastrophic.”

“The ends always justify the means, as long as the ends are just.”

Anon stood up, “Do they Boris? Do they? You going to make our soldiers fight and die for a world that isn’t theirs? That they have no connection to?”

Boris approached Anon until their faces were only a few inches apart, “It may not be our world, but it is the Equestrian’s. We can’t ask them to pay for our mistakes.”

“It’s more mistakes that I’m trying to avoid Boris! What if this spills over? You know that the USSR can’t handle more fighting right now. What if it gets invaded? Or what if we go after Poland? You still have family there don’t you?”

Boris took a step back and looked towards the ground, “It won’t spill over.” he muttered

“You have no way of knowing that!” Anon yelled, “If we engage them, not only will Equestria suffer, but potentially the whole world. Can you sit there and tell me with absolute certainty that it will stay contained to this side of the cave?”

“No I can’t!” Boris yelled back, “But I can tell you that if we put our own safety before what we stand for then there is no damn point in differentiating between us and them!”

Anon was silent for a moment, Boris began to pace.

“It’s because of Dash isn’t it?” Anon asked.

Boris stopped in his tracks, and silently stared at the floor. “Yes..” he said at last, “But not just her… what about the rest of them? I can’t believe that you’d leave them here.”

“The risk is too great.” Anon replied.

“What about Twilight?” Boris asked.

Anon was about to answer, but found himself unable. Suddenly all he could see was the courage in Twilight’s eyes as he had advanced upon her in Stalliongrad. All he could think about was how that courage would be tested and tested by the Fascist torture artists, until it was finally and utterly broken. Her bones would break before her spirit, but ultimately her resolve would not be able to withstand what the unholy alliance of griffin and man would do. If left alone then all would be lost for her.

Boris took a step towards Anon, “Please Anon, tell Gramov to order the intervention… don’t abandon them… Tovarish” with the last word, Boris put a hand on Anon’s shoulder.

“I…” Anon began as he sat back down in the chair.

Boris knew that Anon was about to give, “Don’t leave them here by themselves. They need us.”.

Anon let out a sigh as he buried his face in his hands. He sat there for some time, contemplating the situation, until after what seemed like forever, he raised his head. “Get Gramov” he said flatly.

Four hours later, Canterlot Castle

The crowd gathered outside Canterlot Castle’s main balcony was a sea of unrest. The faces of innocent ponies formed a constantly shifting wall as they gathered to hear the announcement that was to be made by Princess Cadence in the absence of Luna and Celestia. Here and there humans could be found in the crowd, usually wearing the uniform of the Red Army and shifting about just somewhat anxiously. The throng became quiet as Cadence and Gramov stepped out from the castle’s interior and onto the balcony, and thousands of eyes became silently trained on the pair.

Cadence gulped before speaking, and Gramov gave her a reassuring pat on the back. “Citizens of Equestria” she began, “many of you have heard terrifying stories, reports that the Griffins, along with mysterious human allies, have begun and invasion of our land.” Cadence paused for a moment, “As much as it pains me to admit it, I must confirm these rumors as truth” the princess was forced to stop speaking as nervous murmuring gripped the crowd, and a sense of panic gripped the air. “My loyal subjects,” Cadence continued, “please do not be afraid, we will do everything in our power to both ensure your safety, and bring a swift and hopefully peaceful end to this conflict. However I will not lie, the Griffins and their allies have made their intent clear, they seek to control the land that we call home. It is for that reason, that I have recruited the aid of our own human friends, and it is the leader of the friendly human forces in Equestria that joins me on this balcony today”.

With that, Cadence stepped aside and gave Gramov a nod. Stepping forwards, Gramov began to speak, “Comrades!” he began triumphantly, “Do not be afraid. The great men and women of the Red Army pledge our steel to your safety and freedom! The Equestrian government and people have the full support of the International Organization of Free Republics, and you now have the full might of the glorious Red Army behind you! From this point on, the IOFR declares a state of war against the Alliance of Nationalist States and their allies in the Griffin Kingdoms. Comrades, from this day forth, your struggle is our struggle, your pain is our pain, and your cause will be our cause. With your support, the Red Army will drive the Fascist invader from your land, and liberate you from the tyranny of the Griffins! From now on comrades, we are as one nation!” The crowd began to cheer, and Gramov finished his speech with a salute and a cry of “Long live the Revolution!”.

Anon was waiting just out of view of the crowd, and greeted Gramov as he entered the castle, “Good speech sir.” he said dully.
Gramov stood where he was, and turned his face towards the sky, “What the hell have we gotten ourselves into Anon?” he asked.
“Exactly what we had to.” said Anon.