• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 1,623 Views, 48 Comments

Revolution Equestria - SeriousTWILEY



Equestria finds itself stuck between the opposing forces of two human factions. Faced with catastrophic collateral damage, the Equestrians must find a way to reconcile the warring humans. However peace is the last thing on humanity's mind.

  • ...
17
 48
 1,623

Savagery

Somewhere in Michigan, United States of America
June 20th, 2042

It was a silent night and the moon shone brilliantly outside, illuminating the tiny room which held two sleeping people; a mother and a son. The moonlight cast eerie shadows on the floor, a sight which once frightened the now sleeping boy. The child was no longer afraid of the shadowy specters that seemed to lurk in every corner of the dingy old attic, he had learned that they were nothing more than a trick of the light. Besides, he had much more to be afraid of, fears that he was still too young to understand. However his mother understood all too well the dangers – the real ones – that lurked every day outside the attic’s small, round window. Soldiers would pass the house every day on their way to the front, and the young mother knew that every day a column of armed men passed without searching the house was a miracle. Tonight their miracles would run out.

The mother woke with a small start as she heard the sound of heavy boots on the front door. She cringed as she heard the sound of wood splintering, and the cry of the house’s owner as he was struck with the butt of a rifle. Soon the sound of heavy footsteps signaled the approach of an American death squad. By this point the boy was awake; he looked at his mother with a sleepy and confused expression spread across his small face.

“Mommy….” he groaned, still under the power of sleep.

“Shhh…” said the mother quietly, “Anon, you have to be very, very quiet for Mommy. Okay?”

“But, wh-what’s happening?” the toddler said, fear creeping into his tiny voice.

Anon’s mother looked at her son, knowing that this may well be the last time she might see him, yet unable to answer him. She then hugged him and began to cry. After a few seconds, she noticed the sound of heavy boots on wooden floors has stopped. Her spirits suddenly rose, it seemed that the house below was quiet.

“It’s going to be okay Anon” she said, tears still staining her face.

But her hope was crushed when she saw the trap door of the attic open, and the helmet of an American soldier ascend from the house beneath.

“A couple up here! A bitch and a brat!” the soldier called down.

Two kilometers outside Stalliongrad, Equestria
March 23rd, 2060

The carriage hit a small bump on the road, jolting Anon awake. As soon as he did so he buried his face in his hands, he had forgotten the night he was taken from his mother, but with his latest nightmare the memory was now clear as day. Anon looked up and surveyed the interior of the carriage, it was made mostly of a purple fabric, with a few spots of cherry wood paneling. The carriage that now took him and Twilight to Stalliongrad was yet another example of the Old World style craftsmanship that the ponies still enjoyed. It seemed so different from the cold hearted and industrial nature of humanity. Anon felt something warm against his left side, turning to his left he saw a sleeping Twilight Sparkle snuggled against him. Across from them Spike was snoring quietly. Continuing to examine the inside of the carriage, Anon found something that interested him. Just beside Spike was Twilight’s book bag, and poking just outside was a small piece of cream coloured cardboard that caught his eye. Scrawled across the top of it were the words ‘Observations on Humans’. Careful not to wake Twilight or Spike, he reached across to the other seat and gently slid the folder out from under Twilight’s many books. He figured that some reading material would help take his mind off of his nightmare.

Anon opened the file and gave a small but impressed whistle. The folder was filled with notes on human anatomy, culture, politics, history, literature and engineering. Sifting through the pages, Anon found a diagram of an Atlantis tank, an ancient Roman aqueduct, a human digestive system, as well as a portrait of Jesus with a small note written across the bottom reading ‘human Celestia?’. Further inspection found a piece of paper entitled ‘Compiled Data and Conclusions’. Anon put the note under further scrutiny.

‘After three months of studying human culture and physiology I have reached several conclusions in both subjects. When it comes to physiology humans are unremarkable. They have a brain capacity and chemistry nearly identical to that of a pony, possessing considerable cognitive abilities and reasoning skills. Their anatomy is in the same basic structure as a pony’s albeit on a larger scale and with a few differences that are expected of omnivores, their increased size leads to superior physical strength that will only be matched by a stallion in peak physical condition. Far more interesting a topic is their cultural trends. As a general rule humans appear to display a great ingenuity as well as the potential to commit acts of the most horrendous violence or the most heartwarming compassion simultaneously. Their homeworld is completely devoid of magic, rendering them at a disadvantage compared to ponies (all races of which possess some form or magic). To compensate for such a disability they have developed engineering skills that far exceed our own. They have also applied these skills in ways that make up for not only their lack of magic, but their lack of flight and lessened ability to grow food. Humans appear to be extremely divided based on political beliefs, often turning to violence as a method of solving political disagreements. This has resulted in a number of brutal conflicts throughout their history and has recently led to a global conflict, referred to by humans as the Great War. Personal interaction with and psychoanalysis of humans in Equestria show many of them to be suffering from severe post-traumatic stress disorder (also known as PTSD). This is no doubt a result of the fact that the only human presence in Equestria is a military one, and most humans in Equestria have experienced warfare firsthand. As a final analysis on humans I have concluded that as a whole, they seem to exhibit psychopathic and sociopathic tendencies, with a few exceptions. They are as violent and unpredictable as they are cunning and adaptable. However, despite this they seem to pose little threat to Equestria unless provoked. As this particular group of humans is strongly anti-monarchy, I suggest that it would be wise to downplay that aspect of our culture when dealing with them.’

There was a puzzled look on Anon’s face, he wasn’t sure whether to be impressed with Twilight’s analysis or offended by her conclusions. He was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of a hoof rapping at the carriage door; it was then that he realized that they had stopped moving. Anon replaced the file and opened the door. He found himself staring Iron Helm in the face.

“We’ve arrived” he said with a serious tone. “Let the princess know please”

“Thanks” said Anon as he turned back to wake up Twilight.

“Mmmm…” moaned Twilight as Anon gently prodded her.

“Come on smarty pants” he said jokingly. “It’s your time to shine”.

“Mmmm, five more minutes….” she said.

“Yeah,” Spike said with a yawn, “The meeting’s not until tomorrow anway.”

Anon turned to where the dragon was attempting to return to sleep. Sneaking up behind him, he grabbed a hold of his tail and pitched him outside into a snow bank.

“You don’t get a choice!” he laughed as Spike angrily came after him.

Anon simply put his hand on Spike’s head, keeping him at bay with one arm until Spike’s rage had subsided. Turning back to Twilight, Anon saw that the commotion had not woken her up. He slowly approached her, scooped her up and carried her out of the trailer. It was dark, the moon shone brightly in a way that was reminiscent of another such bright night. A night in an attic, under a different moon and a different sky. The moonlight shone off of the snow that lined the small area between the street and the sidewalks, the air was cool and the streets were empty. Stalliongrad reminded Anon of his time in Moscow and the winter of ’58, when the Soviets had taken the fair city for several months before it once again fell to the Russians. The small group marched in single file, with Iron Helm in the front. Iron was followed by Anon (who still carried a sleeping Twilight), then Spike, then a second Royal Guard. The five of them reached the gates of the Royal Winter Palace, an ancient building that was constructed just after the banishment of Nightmare Moon. It was said that Celestia had come here in an effort to escape her grief when Stalliongrad was just a tiny village. Once inside Iron showed Anon to Twilight’s room, where he tucked her in and closed the door. The second Royal guard stopped and stood outside Twilight’s door to serve as a sentry. All across the grounds of the palace, stallions of the Stalliongrad Garrison of Royal Guards patrolled, keeping a look-out for anything suspicious. Anon was shown to his room by Iron. It was a little farther from Twilight’s than he would have liked, but he would have to make do. Instead of lying down in the bed provided him (which was surprisingly the right size for a human) Anon searched through his equipment until he found his rifle and a magazine. He slid the ammunition into the rifle’s bottom and sat down in a chair facing a window that overlooked the palace grounds. Holding his rifle against his chest, he stared out at the night sky, not wanting to fall asleep for fear of reliving yet another terrifying memory. As if needing confirmation that his latest dream was in fact an actual memory and not a figment of his imagination, he slid up his left sleeve and examined his arm. Printed across his forearm in black ink was the tattoo that had been with him for years.
He read it aloud for the first time since childhood, “No. G-24601”.
Anon then turned his attention to the window and stared out at the night sky.

Winter Palace, Stalliongrad, Equestria
March 23rd, 2060

Anon woke with a start. He was still sitting in the same chair, evidently he had fallen asleep. He gave a silent thanks to whatever force had granted that his sleep be dreamless. Checking his watch revealed that it was 3:21 AM. Suddenly Anon had a feeling, a sickening feeling. Anon felt with the utmost certainty that something was not right. Switching into the demeanor of a soldier entering a battle, he stood up. He soon saw the source of his disturbance. Two figures marched across the snow covered lawn of the palace, they didn’t move with the calm pace of a guard on patrol, nor did they move with the gait of a pony. They crept from bush to bush, silently avoiding the guards that slowly made their way across the palace grounds. As they approached Anon could make out their shape more clearly, one stood tall on two legs while the other creeped along on four.

‘A man and a griffin’ thought Anon with a growing sense of dread.
He wasn’t sure which was a worse sign, the fact that this visit was a trap from the griffins, or the fact that they seemed to have some sort of human companionship. Gripping his rifle tightly, he ran across the room to his equipment bag. He emerged with a large canteen, as much ammo as he could carry, and three peculiar looking masks. Quickly he made his way into the hall, and as he approached Twilight’s door he called out to the guard standing watch.

“Intruders!” he cried, not with panic but with a calm sense of urgency.

The guard however, was not so cool-headed. “What? What intruders?” he asked in a voice that did very little to hide his worry.

“I saw them approaching from the east.” Anon said as he pointed to his room, “Get outside and rally the other guards. Start looking for them. You’ll be looking for a griffin and a human, shouldn’t be too hard to spot. I’ll look after the princess” he continued as he chambered a round in his rifle.

The guard hesitated.

“Why the fuck are you still here?” growled Anon in the voice of an officer “That’s an order soldier! Move it!”

The guard ran off without another word. Anon turned his attention to Twilight’s room. He tried the door and realizing it was locked, he knocked, fully aware of how absurd it was to politely knock when there was an emergency such as this. Lucky for him Twilight was awoken on his first attempt; she opened the door before he could knock again.

“We have a problem” said Anon as he barged into Twilight’s bedroom, “Where’s Spike?” he asked as he took a look out the window to survey the scenery for danger.

“What? Oh he’s uh… he’s in here” said Twilight as she nodded to the dog bed in the corner, sleep still in her eyes. “Wha… What’s all this about Anon?” she asked with a yawn.

“I was right.” he said in a flat tone.

“Right about what?” asked Twilight.

“It was a trap.” Anon said in the same detached manner.

But as Anon turned and saw the budding fear within Twilight his calmness melted away. When in combat Anon had learned to suppress fear and sometimes even compassion in order to get the job done. As a result he would become an almost emotionless machine when it came to a dangerous situation like this, but seeing the small alicorn mare in front of him with genuine terror in her eyes was enough to destroy the nerve that all the armies of NNATO and Russia had failed to break. For the first time since his first weeks in combat, Anon was truly terrified.
Anon gingerly approached the petrified pony and kneeled down to her height. He embraced her, and told her that everything was going to be okay, even if he had no idea. Their hug was broken by the sound of a gunshot reverberating through the night, reverberating through the interior of the palace. The assassins were inside, and they were armed. A second shot rang out. Then a third, a fourth.

Anon’s head snapped towards the door, “Twilight, under the bed. Now.” he commanded, somewhat returning to the demeanor of a killer. Twilight obeyed. “Spike, you awake?” Anon called over to the dragon.

“Y-yes” the nervous voice of a young boy answered him.

“Good. Stay in that corner.”

Anon stood up and approached the right side of the door. He aimed his rifle across the doorframe at head level and stood perfectly still. The silence was deafening. Then he heard them, footsteps, two sets of them. One was quiet and soft like a cat’s, the other the loud clunk of army boots. They slowly drew nearer - bringing back Anon’s chilling memories of similar footsteps eighteen years ago - until they stopped just shy of the door. The sound of a key in a lock was heard, and the door handle slowly turned, the door silently glided open. Anon waited silently in the corner and Twilight sat wide eyed under the bed as a black clad griffin entered the room, the silhouette of a human behind him. Anon waited until the griffin’s whole body was inside, then he squeezed his trigger. Ten rounds of fully automatic gunfire tore into the griffin’s left side and ten flashes illuminated the horrific scene. The griffin’s blood painted the wall above Spike’s head. Anon stepped into the doorframe ready to do the same to the human but was met with a knife being thrust towards him. Anon raised his rifle to block the attack, and gave a mighty shove back. The attacker was momentarily knocked off balance, but came after Anon again before he could be fired upon. This time the assassin had increased momentum, and he forced Anon back into the room. Anon stumbled as he was shoved in, and both he and his assailant fell to the floor. The mysterious man was now atop Anon, attempting to drive the knife into his heart. This mystery assailant seemed stronger than Anon, and as he pushed the knife inched closer and closer to Anon’s chest. Anon felt the tip of the blade press against his flesh, but he soon felt it ease up. Looking down to the knife Anon saw a purple aura around the knife and the attacker. The would-be killer was lifted into the air by Twilight’s magic, and his weapon dropped to the floor. Twilight propelled the man across the room and flung him into the wall with considerable force as Anon reached down to pick up the fallen knife. Anon charged the stunned man with the weapon, and to Twilight’s horror he began thrusting the blade into the man’s chest repeatedly.

“Wait!” she cried in terror, “You’re killing him”

“That’s. The. Idea!” Anon yelled back between stabs.

Soon the man sat in a heap, bloody and butchered. Anon wasted no time after the deed was done.

“We’re leaving. Now” he said coldly.

As Twilight gathered some water and the food that her handmaidens had left for her, Anon approached the window, and his heart sank. Across the moon’s luminous face was the sight of two areal formations. One of griffins and one of helicopters, each forming a sinister V in the night sky. Realizing that he hadn’t even bothered to search the man he just killed, Anon quickly made his way back to the husk against the wall. Just as he feared, the man wore a grey jacket. On his arm was a black band that bore the image of two lightning bolts that also served as the initials ‘SS’. This man was an assassin in the service of the Alliance of Nationalist States. Evidently Anon was right, this wasn’t a diplomatic meeting. It was a griffin invasion, and it was now clear that Equestria wasn’t the only nation in this world with a human ally.