• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 1,623 Views, 48 Comments

Revolution Equestria - SeriousTWILEY



Equestria finds itself stuck between the opposing forces of two human factions. Faced with catastrophic collateral damage, the Equestrians must find a way to reconcile the warring humans. However peace is the last thing on humanity's mind.

  • ...
17
 48
 1,623

Walk in the Woods

Five kilometers north of Winnipeg, Manitoban Confederacy
January 17th, 2055


Anon shivered as the helicopter made circles in the sky, his shudder was brought about both by the excruciating cold and the horrific scene below him. Beneath the circling chopper a number of Manitoban soldiers were pulling twisted and burned bodies from the wreckage of a Winnipeg suburb. The soldiers feverishly clawed away at the rubble, brick by brick, house by house in a desperate effort to locate survivors.

“Set us down here Riel!” crackled the voice of the squad sergeant in Anon’s headset.

“Not much room down there sir but I think I squeeze us in” replied the pilot in his heavy Quebecois accent.

Anon returned his attention to the scene below him and tightened his grip on his LMG. As they descended the smell of charred flesh hit Anon like a ton of bricks. He wished that the smell wasn’t so familiar. Dust was blown up by the helicopter as it touched down among the bombed out houses, and as it came to a landing ten soldiers poured out. Anon remained at his post as chopper gunner.

“Sergeant Sikes, 35th Air Mobile! What happened here and how can we help?” yelled Anon’s sergeant over the sound of the chopper’s rotor.

“Lieutenant Jacobs, 18th Mechanized!” answered the officer who had left the group to greet them. “Our SAM umbrella went down for a bit!” he continued “But it was long enough for the Cannucks to lay down an airstrike! We took a lot of losses but right now we’re worried about the collateral!” he said as he turned to look at the burning remains of the nearest building.

“I take it you could use a hand with this rubble.” said Sikes. He then turned back towards the chopper. “Mouse! Get the pilots and get your asses out here! We’re on cleanup duty!”.

“Sir yes sir!” shouted Anon before turning towards the cockpit. He detached his weapon from its mount and fetched the chopper’s pilots.

Soon there were thirteen more pairs of hands helping the men of the 18th Mechanized clear debris. As Anon reached down to remove another cinder block he heard a small sound. He realized to his horror that there was a child trapped beneath the rubble.

“Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit….” he said nervously as he frantically cleared away the bricks and dust.

He uncovered the blonde head of a tiny crying girl. After making sure that he could remove her without hurting her, he pulled her free of the destroyed building.

“M-my class is still in there!” she managed to say between her fits of coughing.

Once again feeling that sickening sense of horror, Anon realized that the building they were clearing was a preschool. He didn’t keep it to himself.

After tripling their efforts the soldiers had removed fourteen children from the wreckage of the school.

“Riel!” cried Sikes.

“Oui sir!” Riel replied as he appeared front and center.

“It’s too dangerous here for these kids! Load them into the chopper and take them to a safe location!”

There was no protest from Riel. Soon fourteen sobbing children - none older than four – were loaded onto the chopper. With a single soldier to keep them calm, there was no room for the rest of the squad. As Anon watched the helicopter take flight he saw the tiny face of the first girl he rescued appear in the window. She smiled and waved, and he waved back. As he turned to continue helping his comrades, he heard a sound. A whisper that quickly grew to a roar. Looking skywards he saw them, two F-18s bearing the markings of the Canadian air force. Sikes saw them too.

“Enemy aircraft inbound!” he screamed “hit the fucking deck!”

Anon threw himself behind a section of wall that was still standing and peered over it in time to see one of the fighters peel off. It turned in a wide arc until it faced the chopper which was still just getting off the ground.

“Fuck no. FUCK NO!” Anon shouted as he hopped over the wall, ignoring his own safety.

The fighter didn’t remain on its course for long; it fired a missile and veered off to the right. The rocket locked onto the helicoptered heat signal, and struck it directly. The burning wreckage of the chopper plummeted to the ground along with the burning bodies of its passengers.

“FUCK!!!” Anon screamed as he ran after the fighters, “Just give us a fucking chance you fuckers! It was full of fucking kids!”


Anon opened his eyes, he was in a tent, his tent. He was in a sleeping bag, his sleeping bag. As he looked around he realized that he was not at the Manitoban front of the American Aftermath. He was in a tent, in a forest, in the expedition’s camp at the mouth of the mysterious cave.


Fluttershy’s house, Ponyville, Equestria

December 31st, 2059

Angel sat impatiently on Fluttershy’s doorstep. It had been less than twenty four hours since he had seen the aliens and their thunderous mechanical mounts emerge from the cavern in the Everfree forest. Dinky and Derpy had been too clueless to understand him when he tried to convey what he had seen, but Fluttershy generally had a much easier time understanding him. Unfortunately Fluttershy had been away at Twilight’s coronation but was due to return today with the rest of the Elements. Until then Angel could just impatiently thump his foot on Fluttershy’s doorstep.

“Angel?” said a soft voice

Angel turned to see Fluttershy walking calmly up the path with a surprised but happy look on her face.

“Angel honey, I thought I left you with Dinky and Derpy. I was about to come get you. What are you doing here?” she asked.

Angel acted out why he had left; trying to convey his distaste for having to dodge both an airborne Tank and Dinky’s unwanted attention. As usual Fluttershy was the only pony in Ponyville who seemed to understand him.

“Oh Angel” said Fluttershy with a giggle “They’re not so bad! If I were you I’d be happy to get all that attention from Dinky” she said as she walked forwards to unlock the cottage door. As she did so Angel suddenly remembered why he was here and he once again did what he had tried to do at Derpy’s house. He stood tall on his toes and mimicked the strange walk of the creatures he had seen, he then got down on all fours and moved around slowly in an effort to copy the motion of their strange machine.

Fluttershy gasped. “You mean to tell me that you were in the Everfree forest and you saw something terrifying!” Angel nodded before continuing his game of charades, “You mean to tell me that you saw some giant creatures that walked on two legs? What’s that? They had a… A GIANT METAL MONSTER WITH THEM!!! EEEEK!” screamed Fluttershy as she immediately sped into her house and shut the door, the sounds of at least ten locks clicking into place.

Angel facepalmed, sometimes even he forgot how cowardly Fluttershy could be. Angel didn’t seem to have another way to warn people about what he had seen in the forest. He sat down on Fluttershy’s step and put his face in his tiny front paws.

“Ah don’t think that you can have bird watching as a cutie mark” said the voice of a filly. Angel’s ears perked up.

“Sure you can! You just have to watch birds for hours on end!” piped up a second voice.

“I’m wondering why you’d want a bird watching cutie mark” said a third.

“Yeah what would it even look like?” said a fourth in a Manehattan accent.

Angel looked up to see the three Ponyville Cutie Mark Crusaders plus their Manehattan associate. They were walking down the dirt road past Fluttershy’s house, apparently towards the edge of the Everfree forest. Angel suddenly got an idea. He began thumping his foot loudly and he quickly got the attention of the four fillies.

“Hey look, it’s Angel bunny!” said Sweetie Bell

“What’s he doin?” asked Babs

“Ah think that he wants us to come up to Fluttershy’s door” answered Applebloom.

As four foals approached the door Angel made a door knocking motion.

“Do you want us to knock on the door?” asked Scootaloo

Angel nodded and Applebloom stepped forwards and tapped her front hoof on the wooden door.

Immediately there came a cry of “NO VISITORS TODAY!!! ALIENS LURKING IN EVERFREE FOREST!!!”

“Aliens?” asked Babs

“Hey! I don’t think that anypony has ever found aliens before!” said Sweetie Bell

“Are you all thinking what I’m thinking?” asked Scootaloo

The four then shouted in unison “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS ALIEN FINDERS!!!”

“Do yah know where they are Angel?” asked Applebloom as she turned to face the bunny.

Angel nodded and took off with four excited fillies in tow.


IOFR Expedition Camp “Columbus”, Everfree Forest, Equestria
December 31st, 2059


Anon groggily got up from his sleeping bag, he didn’t get much sleep. The nightmares had gotten worse, being forced to relive horrific memories constantly didn’t seem to agree with a good night’s rest. Thinking back, he was certain that he had worse memories than last night’s dream. Possibly from his childhood during the Great War, his time in Ohio, the tattoo on his left arm….

“I thought I heard you get up” said a voice in Russian

Anon looked up to see Boris standing at the tent’s opening, “You’re not going to go all “Brokeback Mountain” on me are you?” Anon asked with a smile.

“Pfft. You wish. I’m way out of your league” Boris chuckled, “Come on” he said, “let’s get some coffee. Most of the camp is still sleeping. Wake up isn’t for half an hour.”

Anon put on a pair of pants and followed Boris outside into the crisp dawn air. The camp was dark except for the light of a campfire, and the orange glow of a cigarette inches away from the face of the soldier on sentry duty. Silence was also nearly complete but for the crackling of the fire, the fluttering of a flag in the breeze and the chirping of crickets. Around the fire sat a pair of soldiers, just relieved from sentry duty. They were eating breakfast and the smell of bacon and coffee wafted through the clean forest air.

“The sun will be up soon” said Boris as he took the coffee pot from the men around the fire.

“We should go and take a look around. See how big this forest is” Anon replied without looking at Boris.

“Wait till dawn, besides it could be huge. Couldn’t we just use one of the quadrocopter drones?” asked Boris through a mouthful of bacon.

“Nyet tovarish” answered Anon, “McPhee says that the cave’s radiation is fucking with the drones’ electronics. It’ll be a few days before we can use them.”

“Well then” began Boris, “We’ll have to ask Menendez for a recon mission on foot considering that you probably have some dumb ass reason why we can’t fly in the Prometheus”

“We need to save fuel. Besides, you’re just a pilot. Sitting in a cockpit all day. You could use the exercise.”


Four hours later the camp had transformed into a bustle of activity. Troops were moving back and forth, erecting a perimeter fence and digging trenches. Perhaps a little bit of overkill but Colonel Menendez wasn’t taking any chances when it came to the safety of the expedition. Menendez had however, authorized a recon mission on foot. Anon was to lead them and McPhee, Boris and young private named Martin Lee had volunteered to accompany them. Lee was the youngest member of the expedition – he was barely seventeen – and was the only green recruit on a mission that was supposed to be for veterans. The fact that is uncle was a field marshal in the SSA’s high command may have had something to do with that.

As the four of them made their way west (or at least what they thought was west judging by the way the sun set) into the forest, it became apparent that Lee would be having a hard time. The young man hadn’t been exposed to the same kind of punishment that the other three veterans had. Out of the three older men only Boris had any trouble (normally being a pilot) and even then it was considerably less than what Lee was experiencing. Lee huffed and puffed as they made their way through the trees.


Meanwhile, four fillies and a rabbit approached from the direction that the four men were heading in. Babs Seed looked nervous.

“What’s the matter?” Scootaloo teased, “scared of some little old aliens?”

“Whut? No!” Babs snapped back “It’s just… I uh…”

“Am a big fat chicken?” giggled Sweetie Bell

“Am not!” Babs said angrily

“Yeah” said Applebloom “Scootaloo is the chicken! Just look at those wings!” everybody but Scootaloo giggled.

Angel stopped suddenly in his tracks, his ears twitching. Applebloom, didn’t see him and almost stepped on him before stopping suddenly, leading to a train of fillies smacking into her rear.

“Wh-what is it Angel?” Babs asked from the back of the line.

Angel’s eyes went wide and he signaled them to hide. All five of them quickly jumped into the bushes. Soon the fillies could hear what had caused Angel to stop. They heard four voices, faint but growing louder.

“Ha-hang on guys. We’ve been going for a couple hours now. I could use a break.” one said through labored breathing and in an accent that mirrored Babs’ own.

“Maybe if we didn’t have little boy with us we could have completed circuit and been back at camp already” said another with what seemed to be a Stalliongrad accent.

“Yeah, maybe if our little mate here would grow some balls and stop complaining then we’d be done a lot faster.” said a third in an accent the fillies couldn’t place.

“Would all of you shut up! Especially you Lee!” said a fourth just as footsteps came into earshot of the fillies.

“So what do you make of this forest?” asked the Stalliongrad voice.

“What do you mean?” asked the fourth voice.

“Size, threat level, et cetera”

“Well we’ve been going for a good three hours now and haven’t seen any signs of it thinning out. For all we know the whole damn planet could be one big forest”.

As the cracking of underbrush beneath the feet of the owners of the voices grew louder, the fillies saw four strange creatures come into view. The looked a little like diamond dogs, but taller and not hunched over. They were clearly wearing clothes with only the pale skin of their faces exposed. They wore brown jackets that hung down to just below their knees. Over their jackets were thicker vests of a darker brown, the vests were full of pockets and tucked inside were strange black boxes. On their heads they wore some kind of metal hat with a small red star on the front. They carried strange objects in their upper appendages and the fillies noticed that there was a black box like the ones in their vest pockets attached to the bottom of each of these objects. They wore large, rectangular packs on their backs, each with a thin metal rod protruding from the top.

“Are those the aliens?” asked Sweetie Bell as the creatures crossed in front of the fillies.

“No, really? What makes you say that?” said Scootaloo sarcastically.

“I think that we should try to stay quiet” said Applebloom as the aliens made their way through the bush.

“Shh!” a harsh voice whispered.

The fillies’ heads turned towards the source of the sound. The four creatures had stopped in their tracks and now were crouching just in front of them. The one in the front slowly got up and began walking towards where Angel and the three ponies were hiding. It stopped about two feet short of the bush. The fillies’ heartbeats pounded in their ears. Suddenly, the creature stood up straight, reached down and grabbed a hold of the small bush that sheltered the fillies. In on swift motion it tore the bush out of the ground, roots and all, leaving the fillies exposed before it. Angel took off at lightning speed, but the fillies stood silently, wrapped in awe at the mysterious creature before them.

“Jesus Christ that’s adorable” said one of the creatures still crouching.

“H-hey!” Applebloom said a little nervously.

The creature was clearly startled and suddenly took a big step back, dropping the uprooted bush in the process.

“Holy shit they talk!” it exclaimed.

“Of course we can talk! I’m Sweetie Bell!” piped up Sweetie Bell

“Yeah! And Ah’m Applebloom!” said the yellow filly.

The two remaining fillies cheerfully told the creatures their names.

“Uh… okay” the creature began, “well I guess I just made first contact with a race of two foot tall equines…. Well uh… my name is Anon. This is Eric, Boris and Martin” the creature said as it motioned towards its compatriots.

“What are you?” asked Scootaloo

“We’re humans” Anon replied

“What’s that?”

“Why do you wear so much clothes?”

“Where are you from?”

“What’s this?”

As Anon was busy thinking on answers for the other questions Scootaloo had used her tiny wings to propel her just high enough to take a closer look at the strange object in Anon’s hands. Just as Anon looked down she poked it with her hoof.

“DON’T TOUCH THAT!!!” he yelled, taking another step back.

The fillies were startled by Anon’s outburst and huddled together, cowering a few feet in front of him.

Upon seeing their fear Anon crouched down to their height and said gently “Oh, sorry about that. It’s just that these things are really dangerous if you don’t know how to use them”

“Well, what is it?” Scootaloo asked.

“Um… maybe it would be better if I don’t say just yet. Where did you come from? Is there a settlement near here or do you live in this forest?” said Anon.

The Sweetie Bell giggled, “No silly! We live in Ponyville! It’s a town just down that way!” she said as she pointed west with her hoof.

“Ponyville huh?” said Anon, “Can you take us there?”

“Sure!” all the fillies said in unison.

“Lee!” called Anon.

Martin stood up.

“Radio the camp and tell them what’s happened and where we’re going!”

“Yes Kommandant” Martin said before lowering his radio mouthpiece and contacting the camp.

After the four men had received authorization from Menendez to proceed, they followed the fillies out of the forest and towards Ponyville