• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 1,623 Views, 48 Comments

Revolution Equestria - SeriousTWILEY



Equestria finds itself stuck between the opposing forces of two human factions. Faced with catastrophic collateral damage, the Equestrians must find a way to reconcile the warring humans. However peace is the last thing on humanity's mind.

  • ...
17
 48
 1,623

Birds of Prey

Outskirts of Hawken City, Griffin Kingdoms
January 1st, 2060

A wind blew over the frozen homeland of the griffins, carrying with it a foul storm. The landscape outside Hawken City was brutal and chilling, a thick yet leafless forest sprawling across hills and even the soil seemed to suck the joy from the air with its greyish brown hue. Not far from the ancient metropolis of Hawken were the never ending slums in which entire families were doomed to eternal poverty. The very air reeked of misery and anger. The denizens of the Griffin Kingdoms were not happy with their rulers, but today they were distracted from their usual troubles by a strange convoy.

The procession was composed of some sort of grey vehicles, seeming to possess no method of propulsion. The vehicles were made of a strong, cold steel and mounted on top was a strange metal tube whose purpose couldn’t be determined by the citizens watching. Even stranger than the machines themselves were the otherworldly creatures that marched beside them. They stood tall upon two legs, and carried strange black objects slung across their backs. They puzzled the griffins, for they wore steel helmets as if they were warriors, but carried no additional armor or weapons. The alien parade drifted through the slums under the supervision of a number of griffin warriors until it came to the city gates. As the strange creatures and their machine entered, some of the griffins noticed the dark grey image of an eagle imprinted on the machine’s side.

Camp Columbus, Equestria
March 17th, 2060

It had been nearly three months since Anon and his compatriots first arrived in Equestria, and things were going unimaginably well. The scientists back in Virginia had developed a counter-radiation that could be used to nullify many of the harmful effects of the cavern, and as a result Columbus had grown. What was once a tiny camp with a population of sixty had now grown to a small town with a population of almost five thousand humans. As far as both the humans and ponies were concerned, things couldn’t be going better.

Twilight and Anon had grown extremely close, both sharing a deep love of literature. They had spent hours reading everything from the work of Shakespeare to Starswirl the Bearded. Rainbow Dash had also found an unexpected companion in Boris, much to the surprise of everybody who had seen him shoot her. Despite their rocky start they were both flyers, and that connected them in an unexpected way. It didn’t seem to matter to Dash that Boris needed a little extra help to get into the air, help that Boris had been denied access to since his arrival in Equestria. Anon however, had seen the look on his best friend’s face when Dash would perform and amazing stunt and Boris would be unable to show off his own skills. After a relatively short talk with Field Marshall Gramov (who had since arrived and taken over from Manendez), Anon found a solution. He smiled as he turned to see Boris and Rainbow Dash approaching the mouth of the passage to Earth.

“So, what is big deal?” asked Boris with mock annoyance.

“Hang on bud” Anon said with a chuckle, “they’re bringing her out now.”

“Her? Who?” asked Boris, still seemingly oblivious to Anon’s plan.

“Take a look” Anon said with a huge grin spread across his face.

A Centurion emerged from the cave’s maw, obscuring what was behind it, but as it turned off to the side to be unloaded Boris’s jaw dropped. Sitting on the trailer attached to the Centurion’s rear, was a fighter jet, and not just any fighter jet. It was a UA-3 INFIDEL - the first choice of IOFR pilots – and even among UA-3s this one was special. It was painted bright red, as opposed to the usual brown or olive green, and on its wings yellow paint formed the pattern of feathers that melted into flames. Printed across the side in large Russian letters was the name, NATALIA. Boris still hadn’t found his voice.

“I don’t get it!” Dash began, “What is it?”

“It’s…. it’s my wings” said Boris, still unable to believe his eyes.

Any inhibition that Boris felt was soon washed away by the sight of his beloved plane. He marched right up to it, and hugged its fuselage. To make the comical scene complete he began cooing to it in Russian.

“Ohhh poor Natalia.” he murmured, “Did they take good care of you? What? Is this a scratch! My god we have to repaint you right away!”

Dash didn’t understand what Boris was saying, and as a result she didn’t understand Anon’s hysterical laughter.

An hour later, Natalia was fueled and waiting for Boris on a makeshift runway. The Infidel was a light plane, and was designed with space saving in mind; all it needed was seventy five meters of flat ground. Soon Boris was geared up and ascended into the cockpit and Rainbow Dash watched with fascination as Boris did his preflight check. She hovered in the air beside Anon with a growing sense of impatience.

“Why does it take so long?” she whined.

“It’s a complicated piece of equipment Dash.” Anon said, “Besides, it just came out of that cave. It probably has some-”

Anon was unable to explain further as both his and Dash’s attention was taken by the roar of the twin engines starting, turbines propelling the machine forwards. Soon it had reached critical velocity and was airborne. Within a few minutes Natalia was flying high, and Dash excitedly joined her and Boris in the air. Natalia was an Infidel, the most agile fighter on the planet, but humanity’s best engineers couldn’t compete with evolution. Dash weaved to and fro around Boris, zig sagging in ways that still defied human aeronautics experts, but even Dash had her limits. Putting the great Rainbow Dash and her famous Sonic Rainboom to shame, Boris opened the throttle wide. Soon he could only be seen as a streak of white smoke across the sky, with a colourful trail of rainbows trying to keep up.

Anon was pulled away by a hoof poking his side and he turned to see a serious faced Twilight.

“Pretty amazing aren’t they?” said Anon as he looked back towards where two of the greatest flyers were trying to outdo each other.

“They are…” Twilight said, clearly upset about something.

“Something’s wrong.” Anon replied, painfully aware of the mare’s unhappiness.

Anon turned and kneeled down so that he and Twilight would be face to face.

“What’s bothering you?” he asked her, sincere concern in his voice.

Twilight pawed the ground nervously with her hoof and was staring intently at Anon’s feet.

“I’ve been sent on my first diplomatic mission.” Twilight said, still more interested in the dirt than Anon’s face.

Anon had been living in Equestria long enough to know both the general structure of pony government and the geography around Equestria. He knew that to the north were the Griffin Kingdoms, the west held the Buffalo Territories, and the southeast contained a desert which led into Saddle Arabia. Due south of Equestria was the Great Sea, which if crossed would lead a traveler to Zecora’s homeland. Anon could guess that Twilight had been sent by Celestia to be an emissary of Equestria, the only question was her destination. But Anon was currently more concerned with Twilight and why she seemed so nervous.

“Why would you be upset about a thing like that?” Anon said in an effort to cheer her up, “Doesn’t this mean that... uh…”

“Celestia” said Twilight.

“Yeah, Sunbutt!” Anon said jokingly, drawing a small giggle from Twilight. “Doesn’t this mean that Celestia is trusting you with important responsibilities?”

Twilight looked almost on the verge of tears, “I’m just not sure I can do it!” she said while trying to hold back sobs.

Seeing Twilight so upset made Anon feel terrible, “Is there any way I can make it easier?” he said with sympathy as he gave her a small hug.

“Well that’s why I wanted to talk to you…” she said, pulling away and once more pawing the ground nervously. “See, things have been a little strained between Equestria and the Griffin Kingdoms lately, which is why I’m meeting with some griffin leaders in Stalliongrad soon. My brother insists that I bring along extra protection and… well… Iron is nice and all but he’s not really a friend like you are…. and I was wondering if you would like to be my bodyguard?” Twilight looked up from the ground with a hint of a smile on her face.

Anon smiled back, “Nobody will get through me” he said triumphantly, this was met with another hug.

Canterlot, Equestria
March 18th, 2060

Despite being a senior officer on the expedition, Anon had never been to Canterlot. It had taken a whole day of convincing to persuade Gramov to let Anon go on this mission, but Anon had made Gramov see the positive diplomatic consequences of such a joint venture. It would show that humans and ponies stood together, that they were willing and able to work together and trust each other. Anon was now travelling through the white city on the back of a chariot, which Anon thought amounted to a rickshaw because it was pulled by other ponies rather than beasts of burden. Twilight sat beside him and her eyes lit up as they approached the palace of Princess Celestia. Standing in front of the palace were four ponies, a tall white alicorn with a flowing multicoloured mane and a shorter dark blue alicorn with a starry blue mane. They stood beside a smaller pink alicorn mare with a shorter pink and yellow mane, at her side was a tall, white unicorn stallion with blue eyes and matching hair. As soon as the chariot pulled to a stop the stallion stepped forwards and hugged Twilight, he said something to her, but Anon couldn’t make it out as he was retrieving his gear from the back. When he turned back he saw Twilight and the pink mare doing some ridiculous dance with an appropriate song.

“Do a little shake!” the song ended with a fit of laughter from both mares.

Anon cleared his throat and gained the attention of all five ponies.

“So you must be Anon.” the white alicorn said in an incredibly gentle voice.

A quick glance at the sun on her flank told Anon that this was Celestia.

Anon gave a simple nod and an unenthusiastic “Yes ma’am”. Being a soldier of the Red Army had made Anon less than fond of monarchies, he didn’t have time for any princess but Twilight.

Celestia seemed not to notice Anon’s somewhat rude detachment and after a brief inquiry of Anon’s wellbeing, the six of them began walking down the marble pathway into the palace. The five ponies walked slightly ahead of Anon and discussed things that didn’t particularly interest him; he silently tuned out their conversation and followed. They ascended several flights of stairs, Anon remaining silent but wrapped up in the beauty of the palace’s intricate architecture and master craftsmanship. When they had climbed a final set of stairs Anon was pulled out of his somewhat dreamy state by a voice calling his name.

“So Anon,” said Celestia, “Myself, my sister and Princess Cadence will be leaving you now. If you would proceed with Shining Armor and Twilight into the next room they will explain everything to you.” with that, three princesses departed and left the fourth princess, a prince and a human soldier alone.

The doors to the room ahead glowed as Shining Armor’s magic pushed them open. When the trio was inside the doors sealed shut once again. Anon surveyed the room and saw that it was constructed of the same white marble as everything else in the palace, and with the same beautiful quality. In the center of the room was a large table, with a map of Equestria and the surrounding lands spread across it.

“So Kommandant Mous” Shining Armor began in a very professional and slightly condescending tone.

“Shining don’t talk to him like that,” protested Twilight, upset by Shining’s demeanor, “and call him Anon” she added with a wink at the human.

Shining sighed, “Sorry Twiley” he said. “As I was saying Anon, I received your complete service record from Field Marshall Gramov this morning. It says you only enlisted six years ago, how did you climb to the lofty rank of Kommandant in six years?” Shining asked with slightly narrowed eyes. Evidently he was suspicious of Anon.

“Well Shining,” Anon’s use of “Shining” so casually irked the prince, “People die in wars. You need to promote people to replace them. I was the best choice apparently when all the officers ahead of me died.”

“I see…” Shining said, not sure whether or not he was offended by Anon’s lack of proper respect for royalty, “Well I think that we should get down to business.”

Anon nodded.

“The Griffins have been… acting strange lately,” said Shining, “normally they’re to divided to even plan a foal’s birthday party, but lately they’ve all been acting… in unison. They’ve become organized almost overnight.”

Anon approached the table where Shining now stood, and examined the map.

“They’ve also been making some… upsetting moves. Moving troops along our border, sending scouts just inside our territory, things like that. But lately all such activity just dropped off, now they have requested a meeting with us. We think that it might be a good sign but-”

“Slow down a minute” interrupted Anon, “what exactly is your military experience?” he asked the stallion.

“I studied military history at the Equestrian Royal Academy, served in the Royal Guard for twelve years and was Captain of the Canterlot branch for four. Longer than you’ve been the Red Army” said Shining, clearly seeing Anon’s question as a challenge to his knowledge on the subject of military tactics.

Anon smirked, “Ever been in combat?” he asked.

“Well no but-” Shining attempted to say.

“But nothing!” Anon said, clearly annoyed by Shining and what he deemed to be a member of the elitist, privileged officer class that characterized human armies of older days.

Anon drew his pistol, a battered Manitoban revolver he had received during the American Aftermath. Shining took a small step back. Anon turned the gun around, and holding it by the barrel he displayed the handle for Shining to see.

“See those?” Anon asked the prince as he pointed to the sixteen notches carved in the wooden surface, “Those are just the ones I killed up close. One month of combat is better than ten years of military schooling. My opinion ought to count for something on this.”

“Fine then.” Shining said, this time clearly offended, “What do you make of this situation?” he asked.

Anon holstered his pistol and said very frankly, “It’s a trap.”

Both Twilight and Shining stood in stunned silence.

Shining eventually spoke up, “What? Why? Why would they lay a trap for us, for Twilight?”

“Well you did say that they’re normally pretty divided. It sounds to me like some griffin warlord has managed to subdue any resistance in the Griffin Kindoms, he’s united them and now he’s set his eyes on you. Why do you think he was moving troops along the border? On Earth we usually do that as a method of flexing our muscles so to speak. It’s how we show that we’re ready, willing and able to fight. My guess is that this is both a message to Equestria and any rivals he might have left in the Griffin Kingdoms. As to his goal I can’t say, I’m willing to bet that he either wants some kind of tribute money – in which case this meeting would actually be a meeting – or he wants to invade. Another possibility is that he wants to take Twilight for ransom, with either of those latter two scenarios this meeting is a trap for your sister.”

Both Shining Armor and Twilight (as a result of coming from a society that had never truly known war) were in disbelief of Anon’s theory. But Anon stuck to it stubbornly, and in the end Shining Armor simply refused to listen to him. Tired from hours of stubborn argument, Anon finally agreed to the original plan.

Twilight said that she wanted to go to bed, and left the room with a sleepy “Good night”. As soon as the doors shut behind her Anon felt the grasp of magic on his collar. He was pulled down and found himself face to face with an extremely irritated Shining Armor.

“I don’t know what bucking monkey crap you’re trying to pull” he said dangerously, “But if you ever talk to me like that again I’ll-”

His voice was cut off as he heard a small clicking sound, as his eyes darted to his right Anon felt the magic grip on his collar loosen and disappear. Anon had the muzzle of his revolver pressed firmly against the right side of Shining’s head.

“You’ll do what?” Anon said with a voice that had many times been used to chill hardened soldiers to the bone. “What will you do pretty boy? Let me tell you something, you have no idea what you’re doing and the only thing you ARE going to do is get your sister killed. Now I’ll tell you what I’ll do if YOU ever talk like that to ME like that again. I’ll take this gun, and I’ll splatter your brain all over the wall with it. I’ve killed men, half of them so close that I could feel them breathe their last breath on my face so don’t think that I’ll hesitate to whack a spoiled brat like you. If it weren’t for your sister I would have done it already, remember that next time we talk to each other.”

Anon turned, holstered his weapon and left. Shining just sat there with a gaping mouth.

“Don’t bother telling anybody about this” Anon called over his shoulder, “I’m a personal friend of Gramov and a war hero, a court martial wouldn’t be much use to you”.

As Anon entered the hallway he saw a sleepy looking Twilight emerge from her room.

“Can’t sleep?” Anon asked her, switching on a dime from a cold blooded killer to a warm hearted friend.

“I guess not. Thinking too much about the trip tomorrow” Twilight replied with a yawn.

“Not to make it worse Twilight, but this is a very dangerous game you’re playing” said Anon with every expression of concern imaginable.

Twilight just smiled at him at said “Everything’s going to be just fine”.