• Published 28th Apr 2013
  • 1,623 Views, 48 Comments

Revolution Equestria - SeriousTWILEY



Equestria finds itself stuck between the opposing forces of two human factions. Faced with catastrophic collateral damage, the Equestrians must find a way to reconcile the warring humans. However peace is the last thing on humanity's mind.

  • ...
17
 48
 1,623

Sleepover

Ponyville Library, Ponyville, Equestria
December 31st, 2059

Twilight just stood in the doorway to her house with her jaw open. Glinting faintly in the feeble light on the helmets worn by these strange creatures was one of the symbols that Zecora had prophesized.
‘In the east shall rise a star of red….’ Zecora’s words echoed.

“Hey, Twilight! Hellooooo!” Rainbow Dash said as she waved her hoof in front of Twilight’s face.

Twilight quickly regained her composure and with a nervous “Excuse us” she pulled Dash into the treehouse and slammed the door in the face of her guests.

Inside it was Dash’s turn to be stunned.

“Why did you do that?” she said.

“Why did I do that?” Twilight asked dumbfounded, “Why did you bring those things here!”

“Well in case you didn’t notice they’re not from here! They’re from another world or something. You’re the local leader now so I thought that they should come see you!” Dash responded with growing anger.

“Do you even know what they are? Why they’re here? What if they came here to attack Equestria or something?” Twilight said harshly while trying to keep her voice down.

“If they wanted to attack then they wouldn’t have walked all the way here with me, besides they bandaged up my wing.”

“What? Why? What happened to your wing?” said Twilight, her suspicion being momentarily replaced by curiosity and genuine concern.

“Well uhh… one of them shot me and-”

“WHAT!!!” screamed Twilight, “THEY SHOT YOU!!!”

“Well to be fair I did attack them first, I guess if they were really hostile then they would have killed me, or at least not help me afterwards.” Dash said with a twinge of guilt.

While the two mares conversed behind the library door the four men sat in silence and waited to be allowed entrance.

“Maybe little Tsarina doesn’t talk to peasants” Boris grumbled as he examined the blade of his knife.

“Try to refrain from making offensive comments Boris, we want to start First Contact off on the right foot.” said Anon sternly, "And put that fucking knife away."

After a long and drawn out conversation inside the library it was nearly midnight. Menendez’s voice crackled over the speakers in Anon’s helmet.

“Colombus to away team, Columbus to away team. Do you copy?”

Anon pulled his mouthpiece close and said clearly “We copy Columbus, I take it that it’s past our bedtime?”

“Damn right it is Mous!” crackled the Colonel’s voice harshly “We’ve been trying to get a hold of you for almost eight hours! Where the hell have you been?”

“Well like Lee reported sir, we were heading towards the town. We actually got into a little mishap with the natives - you can blame Baretslav for that – and now we’re supposed to be having a meeting with a local monarch but she doesn’t seem too keen on letting us in” said Anon into the radio.

“Sounds like a fun fucking time.” Menendez said sarcastically, “ Sounds to me like you might have offended them. I’d appreciate it if you came back to camp if you don’t mind” he continued without losing his condescending tone, “Unless you have a guide you trust then I recommend that you set up camp somewhere near this town. If you do then tell Baretslav not to terrify the locals too much”

“I’ll see if we can find a guide who is willing to take us back to the camp this time of night” Anon said as he surveyed the area around the library.


“Listen Dash” Twilight said wearily, “we just can’t let the stay here if we don’t know their intentions.

Not wanting to upset her, Twilight still hadn’t mentioned Zecora’s disturbing outburst earlier. Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to respond to her friend but was silenced by a knock on the door and a muffled voice.

“Sorry to bother you ladies” Anon called from outside, “but I was wondering if you knew of someone who would be willing to lead as back through to forest to our camp.”

Twilight gingerly stepped forwards and opened the door, slightly shrinking back as Anon cast a long shadow over her.

“You came here through the Everfree Forest, right?” she asked, pawing the floor with her hoof.

“We came through a forest ma’am” said McPhee, “not quite sure if it was the Everfree. Did the little ones say anythin’ about the name of the forest?” he asked as he turned to his comrades.

“Yeah, it was the Everfree” said Dash as she walked up beside Twilight.

“I’m not sure it would be such a good idea to head through there at night” Twilight said, “and you’d be hard pressed to find anypony who’s willing to go with you in the pitch dark.”
As the four men looked at each other in disappointment, Twilight suddenly remembered that she was expected to be brave and hospitable as the nation’s newest princess.

“M-maybe you could stay here?” she said nervously.

Twilight blushed a little as her question drew the attention of all four men and Rainbow Dash.

“There’s lots of room in the basement, and I could make an official announcement of your arrival in the morning so you could move about town without causing a panic…” she continued.

“Well Princess, we would be honored to be the first human guests in Equestria” said Anon gently.

Later all four men had their bedrolls spread across Twilight’s basement floor. Still nervous from her experiences at Zecora’s hut, Twilight requested that Iron Helm come back and sleep at the library. He set up a cot at the door leading to the basement.

“So mates” McPhee began when they were all settled in, “what do you reckon will come of all this?”

“Well we will either be friends with them and co-exist peacefully, fight a proxy war and back a revolution against this monarchy, or just invade and free them at the barrel of a gun” said Anon dryly. “That’s what we usually do”.

“Not much of a palace. The fuck kind of princess is this?” Martin’s voice drifted through the dark.

“Everybody shut the fuck up. It must be past midnight and I want to sleep.” Boris growled, “Happy New Year by the way.”

The group all gave a unenthusiastic “Happy New Year” and drifted off to sleep.

Russian-Ukrainian Border
September 7th, 2057

The train rumbled and shook as it sped over the steel rails, making Anon feel sick. He was packed in a crowded boxcar with almost sixty other men, an international group of volunteer soldiers bound for the Russian front. They had been in training for two months, retraining many experienced soldiers in order for to fit the needs of the fledgling Soviet Union. The new Red Army was still in its infancy and was being held together mostly by commanders from other parts of Europe. The Russian Federation was currently superior to the Soviet Union in almost every way, posessing more money, resources, territory and weapons. The only thing that the Soviets had going for them was high morale, a superior propaganda campaign, and the thousands of volunteers flooding in from sympathetic countries where the violence had subsided. Bavaria, Catalonia, Ireland, Ukraine, the SSA, West Africa, and anybody else who knew what it was like to be fighting for the future of your own country. They had shown pity on the Soviets, and went in to help. Anon’s breath quickened as the train came to a halt.

Without warning the door of the boxcar was flung open and an angry Soviet officer stood there with a club in his hand.

“Out! All of you! Out now!” he bellowed as he struck the floor of the boxcar with his club. The soldiers quickly emptied the car, the smell of gunpowder and the sound of artillery now filling the air around them.

“Glorious Comrades of the Red Army!” blared a voice over a loudspeaker, “The future of the Motherland depends on your bravery! Go forth and show these cowardly Capitalists the valor of the people!!!” The group was then hurried down the train by a pair of officers.

The image then melted together in a haze of grey, brown and red. Screams and thunder.


Anon’s eyes fluttered open. He was still in Twilight’s basement, the root structure of the massive tree hanging over his head. Anon sighed and sat up, as he wiped the sweat off his brow he was thankful that tonight’s dream wasn’t overly traumatic. It was then that Anon realized that he was desperately thirsty and also needed to relieve himself. He cracked his back and stood up straight. The stairs creaked as he ascended, and a gentle snoring could be heard from the top. When Anon opened the door to the basement the sleeping form of Iron Helm came into view, his white coat appearing grey in the darkness. Anon then turned towards the door to find someplace outside to pass as a latrine, but was stopped by a soft voice coming from upstairs. Still half asleep and forgetting the negative implications of such an act, he climbed the stairs to the second floor.

As Anon stood atop the staircase he could hear the voice more clearly, and as he groggily stumbled towards the source he could make out the words.
“…But it was alright,” the voice spoke, “everything was alright. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”

Anon recognized the words from somewhere but could place them. He was slowly regaining his senses but still not aware that sneaking around the house of an alien leader could lead to major problems.

“Wow! That was amazing! I wonder if they have any more books like this” said the voice to no one in particular.

Anon stood at the door that separated him from the voice, and without even thinking to knock, he slowly pushed it open.

Twilight Sparkle was startled by the human’s sudden intrusion, and for a while she simply sat on her bed and exchanged glances with an equally startled Anon. Suddenly coming to grips with what he was doing, Anon quickly stammered out an excuse and tried to leave, but was called back to the room by Twilight. This time Anon was able to clearly see what was going on. Twilight was sitting on her bed with Anon’s copy of Nineteen Eighty Four opened in front of her.

“S-sorry I took your book..” she began nervously, “Iron said that he wanted to go through your stuff and I was curious so I went with him and I found this book and-” Twilight was becoming visually upset.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” exclaimed Anon, “It’s not a big deal Princess. I’ve read it a hundred times. You can have it if you want.”

“Well actually I uh… I just finished it” said Twilight, not wanting to look Anon in the eye.

“You what? It’s only been like… three hours since I went to sleep! How did you read it that fast?” Anon said, his surprise causing him to speak louder than he had intended.

“Shhh!” Twilight shushed, pointing her hoof to a purple lump in a dog bed in the corner.

Anon wasn’t sure what it was, he hadn’t noticed it in the dull light. Upon further inspection it appeared to be a large lizard, about the size of the four fillies that had brought Anon and the rest of his team out of the forest.

“That a pet?” asked Anon confusedly.

Twilight let out something between a giggle and a snort.

“Hehe, no! That’s Spike, my assistant.”

“What is he?” asked Anon.

“A baby dragon” Twilight responded, closing the book.

“Cool” said Anon. After travelling through a magic cave to a world populated by colourful equines, why the fuck would dragons surprise him? “I suppose that I should head back downstairs Princess. Sorry to disturb you.” he whispered.

“Is your world really like this?” Twilight asked Anon as he turn towards the door, “And Twilight is okay” she added.

Anon turned to see Twilight levitating the book in front of her.

“How? Wait What? How are you doing that?” he asked, dumbfounded.

“What this?” replied Twilight. “Just basic magic! All Unicorns can do it!”

“Magic…” Anon said idly as he watched Twilight put the book down.

“So is it?” she asked again.

“Is what?” Anon replied.

“Is your world like in this book?” she asked as her head tilted to the side.

Anon sat down on the floor and sighed.

“Depends on where you go” he said dryly.

“What do you mean?” said Twilight with genuine curiosity.

“Well we’re not all united. Don’t you have different nations here?” Anon asked, suddenly realizing that he hadn’t felt the least but curious of the world he now lived in until now.

“Well… not really. There are other races that live outside Equestria but they’re not really considered different countries…. just inhabited by other races.”

“Well humans aren’t nearly so understanding.” Anon began, “ We’re also the only intelligent race on our planet. Humans are very territorial, and violent. We fight over everything from land to religion to politics. It was politics that started the Great War, and politics that keep our world divided right now.”

“Just how divided is your world?” asked Twilight, seeming to show pity for the strife of humanity.

“Last time I checked is was…. a hundred and ninety four nations? Give or take?”

Twilight’s jaw dropped, she was unable to conceive of a single race so divided.

“But we can basically be grouped into four categories.” Anon continued.

“Go on” said Twilight, her inner scientist making herself known.

Anon suddenly remembered his dream, he became misty eyed and stared at the floor for a few seconds before answering.

"Maybe this isn't the best thing to talk about right now." he said, his gaze still fixed on the hardwood.

Twilight's ears drooped and her eyes began to run along the bed sheets at her hooves.

"Oh... okay then..." she mumbled.

Anon looked up at the sulking mare, her ears laid flat against her head and her wings sagging at her sides.

"Well maybe I could give you a quick history lesson." he said with a small smile.