• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 3,235 Views, 98 Comments

Heartaches By The Number - ADRNEL



Big Mac is in the middle of a dilemma as both Fluttershy and Cheerilee fight for his affections.

  • ...
18
 98
 3,235

Number 7

Several years ago...

It is another beautiful day in Ponyville, as the town center is bustling with activity, and for one young mare, this is a lot to comprehend.

The mare just looks around in awe at her surrounds, never having been in such a large town before. She only had enough money to get a train ticket here and two saddlebags for her small amount of personal belongings.

“E-excuse me?” “Uh-hello?” the mare would nervously say to all the other ponies who pass her on the street, but none of them seem to pay attention to her. “Do you know where-?” she would continue. She is lost and no one would help her.

She continues walking random down the main street, too much in awe at her surroundings to notice what is in front of her.

She then hits something firm, hard, and falls backwards to the ground. “Oh...I’m so sorry-” the nervous mare began to apologize until she sees...HIM.

“Is ya okay miss?” politely asked the stranger in a deep voice, extending his hoof to her. The mare just grabs the hoof as the stranger lifts her back on her four legs.

“Uh...thanks...mister...?” she thanked to him.

“Apple...MacIntosh Apple.” answered the big red stallion. “An’ ya?”

“Pie...Pinkamena Diane Pie, nice to meet you.” humbly greeted the pink mare. She couldn’t help but feel in awe around him. “Wow...you’re so big.” pointed out Pinkamena.

“Ya muss be new aroun’ here, isn’t ya?” asked MacIntosh.

“Yes...yes I am.” answered the pink pony. “I’m looking for Sugarcube corner, do you know where it is?” she asks.

“Why it’s just down this here street t’yer left.” the stallion points out. “Why do ya ask?”

“Because I’ve been accepted to be the Cake’s new apprentice.” she answers, a little anxious.

“Ya muss be a great baker then.” mused the red stallion. “I’ll tell ya whut...Ya let me try out some of yer apple pie recipies...an I’ll personally escort ya thar, deal?” MacIntosh offered.

“DEAL!” happily exclaimed Pinkamena, as they both begin their trot, side-by-side, to Sugarcube corner.

Along the way, both of them got to know each other, although Pinkamena was the one that did all the talking. MacIntosh prefers to listen than talk, you get further in life if you listen more than you speak.

“Yay! We’re here!” exclaimed Pinkamena as they finally reach Sugarcube corner. “Thank you so much Big Mac!”

“Big Mac?” asked a confused MacIntosh, “No one outside mah sisters evah call me that.” stated the crimson stallion.

“Oh I’m sorry...it’s just that I like to give ponies nicknames sometimes to help me remember them...I apologize if you don’t like it.” humbly explained the pink pony.

“No need, it was actually better hearin’ it from ya than mah sisters.” Mac explained. The stallion then gets an idea. “But ah reckon it’s only fair that ah give ya a nickname in return though, Pinkamena is a little long an’ sounds too stuffy fo’ casual conversation.”

“Ooh!” exclaimed an excited Pinkamena. “No one outside of my family has ever given me a nickname!” she said. “Okay Mac, tell me what my nickname should be!”

Big Mac thinks about it for a minute before coming up with a name that sounds appropriate for the pink and happy-go-lucky pony. “How’s Pinkie sounds?”

“Pinkie?” Pinkamena asks, confused.

“On account that yer pink.” said the stallion with a cheeky smile on his face.

Pinkamena thinks about, “Pinkie Pie...Pinkie Pie...” she mumbles over and over again to herself. “I LOVE IT! It has a nice ring to it!”

From then on...Pinkamena Diane Pie will be forever known among her new Ponyville friends as simply Pinkie Pie. It was also at that moment that the seeds of romantic attraction for the red stallion where planted.


As promised, every time Pinkie made a new apple pie recipe, she would go to Sweet Apple Acres to let Mac sample it for free, they would always have conversations with each other over pie, although Pinkie, naturally, did most of the talking. But she didn’t mind, she loves to talk and she never runs out of things to talk about. Pinkie then notices that unlike most ponies she talked too, she never once seen him get annoyed by constant blabbing.

It was during those meetings that she also met Big Mac’s sisters; Applejack and Apple Bloom. She became quick friends with Applejack and eventually, she became her “bestest best friend.”

Pinkie doesn’t know when it happened, or how, but she eventually feeling an attraction to the big red stallion. Possibly from the fact that unlike most ponies, he doesn’t seem to mind her craziness and randomness at all, nor questions her “pinkie sense” as well.

Unfortunately, she was too afraid that telling him how she felt because she was afraid that it would ruin the friendships she made with Mac and her sister. Plus, she was afraid that dating Mac would make things awkward between her and Applejack and could constitute a betrayal of trust.


Big Mac always liked Pinkie, her liveliness and apparent randomness was like a breath of fresh air for him. Every time they meet, it always felt different, and he kind of likes that. He loves to not know what happens next sometimes, it takes his mind off the constant drudgery that is farming, not that he doesn’t like farming, he enjoys it, it’s the routine that bothers him.

With Pinkie, there is no routine, it’s always a different conversation, a different activity, a different way of saying things and a different tone, each and every time. It felt great to not know what she’ll do or say next.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that she’s also Applejack’s friend, meant that any romantic feelings with her must never manifest, or face his sister’s wrath and ruin the dynamic they’ve built. Big Mac then reluctantly made a mental note stating that Pinkie will be his friend...and nothing more, for the sake of not ruining the friendship between the pink pony and his sister, and to respect his sister’s wishes.


Then one day, Pinkie began to hear rumors that Big Mac has been going around rutting mares left and right. She couldn’t believe it at first, but her pinkie sense would tell her that they are in fact, unfortunately true. The pink pony felt heartbroken, she began to feel that if she had stopped worrying and told Big Mac her feelings for him sooner, he wouldn’t have developed this reputation that he’s now making for himself.

“The stallion who would never turn you down.”

Although, to be fair, Pinkie also did rut a lot of stallions, and an occasional mare, in her days, as many if not more so than Mac. But not because she enjoys it, or has feelings for them or the fact she has needs, no, she only had sex with them for the sake of making them happy, it is her duty to make anypony she encounters happy, not matter what it takes.


In Pinkie Pie’s room, under her bed, sits a pink metal box. Inside the box, is a collection of all the poems, love letters and Heart and Hooves Day cards she wrote, all of them, every single one of them, for Big Mac. All because she was too afraid of giving them to him.

Author's Note:

A Flashback chapter!

Only two more chapters after this.

Sorry for the wait.

Enjoy!