• Published 30th Apr 2013
  • 3,235 Views, 98 Comments

Heartaches By The Number - ADRNEL



Big Mac is in the middle of a dilemma as both Fluttershy and Cheerilee fight for his affections.

  • ...
18
 98
 3,235

Number 3

“So Mackie, do you love the apple pie I made?” said a mares voice.

“Eeyup.” happily responded Big Mac, handing the mare the licked clean pie tin.

“I love you so much Mackie, always had since I first met you.” admitted the mare.

“I love you too sugarcube.” responded Big Mac.

“MAC! WAKE UP!”


Big Mac is suddenly awoken from his dream by his younger sister Applejack. “Mac, wake up! Ah knows yer a li’l hungover from last night, but ya have some chores t’do before goin’ off to Cheerilee’s!” exclaimed the orange mare, shaking her brother awake.

Big Mac does as her sister ordered, and gets off his bed, he then grabs his towel and begins his daily shower.

In the shower, the stallion begins to think about his dream, he’s been dreaming about the same mare since he broke up with Cheerilee, and he still doesn’t know who that mare is. It could be Cheerilee, or it could be, dare he say it, Fluttershy?

Applejack must never know that he’s potentially dreaming about one of her friends. But for some reason, the fact that Applejack forbade him from starting a relationship with them, just makes him want to pursue them more. He begins to think about his nights with Dash and Rarity, and begins comparing them.

When it comes to quality, Rarity wins hooves down. But when it comes to quantity and endurance, that honor will go to Dash, Big Mac managed to win 3-2 against the cyan pegasus during their only encounter during Apple Cider Day last year, good times.


“Mac! What in tarnation took ya so long in th’ shower? Yer breakfast is gittin’ cold!” exclaimed Applejack as Big Mac takes his seat at the kitchen table for breakfast.

Big Mac doesn’t say anything as he begins to eat his pancakes. His two sisters and granny also enjoying their breakfast.

“So, Mac, met enny nice mares last night?” asked Granny to her grandson.

Before Big Mac has a chance to answer, Applejack interjects. “He’s goin’ on a dinner date with Cheerilee this evenin’ at her home.” the mare explains.

“Well, as long as ya gimme a gran’kid, ah doesn’t care if th’ mother is a harlot!” explained Granny.

“What’s a ‘harlot’?” asked Apple Bloom.

“Thet’s whut all th’ stallions called me durin’ mah yo’nger days. Ah loved it when they called me thet.” explained the old mare nostalgically.

“But what does it mean?” asked the confused Apple Bloom.

“THATS ENOUGH, GRANNY! APPLE BLOOM! SCHOOL! NOW!” exclaimed Applejack, not wanting her youngest sister to be exposed to the stories of Granny Smith’s younger days.

“But school doesn’t start for another two hours!”

“Th’ earlier th’ better! Now march!” exclaimed the orange mare. Apple Bloom does as told, with Applejack following her to walk her to school, leaving Granny and Big Mac alone.

“So, enny of Applejack’s friends caught yer eye?” slyly asked Granny.

“How did-?”

“Ah may be old, but ah's not stoopid! Ah knows yo' rutted two of her friends already!” the old mare exclaims.

Granny has the ability of picking up subtle hints and cues in her grandchildren, that can help her tell what they’ve been up to and with who.

Big Mac just blushes, but the old mare probably didn’t notice for obvious reasons.

“So, who is it?” asked Granny Smith.

“Ah don’t know,” admitted the stallion. “a mare has indeed caught mah eye, but ah don’t know who.”

Big Mac always dreamed of meeting the mare of his dreams, or in this case the mare IN his dream, still haunted by the fact that he doesn’t know who she is. Big Mac just wants to stop his philandering and heartbreaking ways and finally settle down into a stable relationship. But he hasn’t experienced that since his break-up with Cheerilee.


“Oh! Dinner is almost done!” exclaimed Cheerilee trying to finish cooking before Big Mac arrives, she looks at the wall clock in her kitchen to see that he’ll be here in less than a hour.

She plates and serves all of the food items and quickly places them on the dinner table. Also making sure that all the table settings are perfect.

The mare then quickly sprints to the bathroom to get herself clean and smelling great for Big Mac, she always loved to smell like her cutie mark; like flowers.


Big Mac is calmly walking towards town, on his way to Cheerilee’s house. Along the way, he begins to hear the sounds of birds chirping, followed by a beautiful voice.

The stallion is intrigued, he never heard anything so calming, sweet and beautiful before. He begins to get curious of its origins and then begins to follow the voice. He manages to push through several bushes to reveal that the voice has a very unexpected source; Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy?” Big Mac quietly mumbles to himself as he sees the yellow pegasus leading the bird choir through a song.

“Okay, let’s take it from the top, but a little more sharp.” happily dictated Fluttershy to her bird friends. “And a 1 and a 2 and a...” on cue, the birds, along with Fluttershy began to sing their song. Big Mac never heard the song before, but it was beautiful. He decides to walk up to the pegasus. Soon, he is right behind her as he waits for the song to be finished.

About a minute later, the song finally ends. Fluttershy happy with the results.

“That was beautiful whut ya did thar, sugarcube.” complimented the stallion, startling Fluttershy and scaring away the birds.

“Eep!” was all the pegasus exclaims before quickly turning around to see Big Mac standing in front of her.

“Sorry, ah didn’t mean t’scare ya.” apologized the stallion.

“Oh...t-that’s okay Mac, I just wasn’t expecting an audience.” meekly explained Fluttershy, her face blushing. “Did y-you really think it was beautiful?” she asks nervously, for confirmation.

“The most gosh darned purdy thin’ I’ve evah heard.” admitted a smiling Big Mac, slowing walking up towards the pegasus. “o’ seen.” he continued. Fluttershy was too nervous to move as their faces start to inch closer and closer to each other, the both of them staring into each others eyes, Big Mac’s green to Fluttershy’s blue.

“Y-you really think so?” quietly asked Fluttershy, knowing full well what the answer is going to be, as the space between their faces begins to narrow.

“Eeyup.” he replied softly.

Big Mac was about to kiss the pegasus on the lips, until he realizes that he has a dinner date to get to. “Sorry, but ah hafta go, ah have an appointment that ah’s already late to.” admitted a reluctant stallion, not wanting to go, but he never blew off an appointment before, and he will not start today.

“Oh...okay...” sadly stated Fluttershy, feeling let down. “Maybe we should go on a date sometime?” she offers as the stallion begins to trot off.

Big Mac stops in his tracks and turns around. “Thet’d be lovely.” nodded the stallion, he then waves the pegasus goodbye as he quickly goes off towards Cheerilee’s house.


“Where is he?” pondered Cheerilee, waiting at the door for him. Big Mac is 10 minutes late.

Suddenly, a knock on the door is heard. Cheerilee anxiously opens the door to reveal Big Mac. “Sorry ah was late.” apologized the stallion.

“That’s okay, as long as you get here.” cheerfully stated the purple mare. Inviting him inside.


The dinner between Cheerilee and Big Mac was mostly a quiet affair, aside from the occasional small talk, both of them just ate their meals in peace. That is until Cheerilee grew tired of the silence and finally decided to ask Big Mac the question that has been bothering her since the broke-up.

“Why did you break-up with me?” blurted Cheerilee. Big Mac stops eating and looks at the mare.

“Ah didn’t break-up with ya, we both agreed t’end or relationship.” Big Mac.

“I know, Mac, but I just want to know why it ended, we had something magical between us, what happened to the magic?” asked Cheerilee, getting sadder and sadder by the moment.

“It just lost its spark, it happens.” explained Big Mac, trying to comfort the mare, starting to feel sorry for her.

“But you were my first and only coltfriend since I moved to Ponyville, you showed me that I can still feel loved and cared for.” explained Cheerilee, sad.

The stallion can’t stand to see someone, especially a mare, in such a depressed mood. “Is there annythin’ ah can do fo’ ya?” he asks, trying to cheer the purple mare up.

A big mischievous smile forms on Cheerilee’s face.

This won’t end well, will it?... thought Big Mac to himself. Yeah, thats what I thought.

Author's Note:

Chapter 3
Only 6 more chapters to go.

Things are starting to get complicated.

Thanks for the faves!