Twilight's Library 4,834 members · 6,257 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13
arcum42
Group Admin

I'm sure you all remember me closing things down and going on vacation for a few weeks to sort things out. I've been off of that for a bit, now, and making plans.

I've talked a little bit about rebooting Twilight's Library. My plans for that were pretty radical, and didn't actually feel like it would be the same group afterwards to me. In fact, it felt like it would be helped more by allowing it to be its own thing.

You see, the new guidelines are looser, and more subjective, compared to the old ones, that were trying to be more objective. This will work better with what I have planned, but intermingling the two in the same group wouldn't work well, and I'm not happy about the idea of tucking all the old folders away where they are hard to get to.

It's also less baggage, and more freedom to reinvent things, and generally feels like a better direction to me as a whole.

So here is what I am doing. The folders in Twilight's Library are going to stay closed, though they will still be here so you can look through them. I'm leaving old threads in the group, though perhaps not stickied, for people interested. I'm also keeping a few admins here as moderators, and brought Thornwing in as a moderator as well.

The group links on the front page will keep being updated. I'd highly encourage use of this group as a discussion group, and I'll post new group forum rules. If you want to play forum games, do writing prompts, hold contests, etc… go right ahead.

What I'm going to be doing, though, is running a new group, based out of my plans for the reboot.

You all remember the filly scout, Tag-a-long?

It seems one day she decided to start a book club in the library with her scout troop. The librarians helped get things going, and pretty soon the other library patrons were getting involved as well. So let me introduce my new group, Tag-a-long's Book Club.

The staff there is divided into librarians (admins) and story scouts (contributors). We look for good stories that don't have issues pulling you out of the story, add a ribbon to the stories comments, and add them to the appropriate folders, as well as a folder for the person adding it. Anyone adding their own stories will just add them to their own folder.

While there isn't any sort of incoming folder, there's a recommendation thread, where you can just copy the form from the first post, fill it out, and post a recommendation, one per post. You can also thumb up the posts with stories you like.

Now, there's no guarantee that the stories in that thread will be looked at, as the scouts (and librarians) will be looking through there for things that interest them personally. The thumbs up and down should give an indication of group interest, though, and they'll keep that in mind.

The recommendation thread is for other people's stories, but there's a self-promotion thread that serves the same purpose for your own. We also have set up a thread to just talk about fanfics you like, and another to talk about things you're writing.

This group is not Twilight's Library, but it's based on what I was working on for the reboot. If you were mainly looking to submit things to the incoming folder, it might not be of interest, but I'm hoping the people who are more interested in finding good stories will stop by.

I also have quite a number of former Twilight's Library staff as story scouts or librarians, for anyone interested, though if you are looking for Sir Truffles, Twilight-the-Pony, LuminoZero, or Mayhem Darkshadow, you may be disappointed, and while Skeeter may be lurking, he's not currently on staff. Lambent Dream did decide to join the new group as a story scout, though. You can see who's on staff in this thread, though it may include one or two people that aren't in the group yet.

I'm still finalising some things, so there may be an occasional rough edge or two. So far, I'm happy with how the group itself is going, though.

So, the tl;dr would be that Twilight's Library's folder are staying closed, but the group is staying around as a discussion group, and go join Tag-a-long's Book Club if you are interested in where I'm headed now.

--arcum42

Very cool! Looks like a top-shelf crew too! Best of luck to the new venture!

arcum42
Group Admin

Thanks! I'll be pretty interested to see how this turns out. One of my big objectives is actually making this a group that's fun for all my scouts and librarians, too. :pinkiehappy:

--arcum42

I second this idea, looks pretty snazzy :pinkiehappy:

arcum42
Group Admin

Thanks. There was a lot of planning before getting to the point of creating the group and posting this.

--arcum42

scoots2
Group Contributor

*joins*

arcum42
Group Admin

Glad to see you there. I'll be interested to see what you think, especially since I did mention it to you earlier.

And, of course, because it's full of cute filly scouts. :unsuresweetie:

--arcum42

LuminoZero
Group Admin

You've got quite enough people over there to handle whatever comes your way. I'll stay here and keep the unruly mob in line. Honestly, I imagine that this group will fall apart rather quickly in the discussion aspect. No reason for people to post here if the group is closed, unless they are looking for a story. That's a rare occurrence as it is.

Glad you decided to stay in the game, though.

-Lumino

arcum42
Group Admin

I wonder sometimes, but I'm a lot happier with the feel of Tag-a-long's Book Club so far. Besides, being surrounded by things involving filly scouts every time I go there puts me in a good mood. :twilightsmile:

As far as discussion, any discussion would be better than the current amount, and the writers group seems to manage. I've left a few other admins around, too, so you'll have some help.

--arcum42

This sounds like a great idea; I really hope it takes off and is a big success. Joined as soon as I read this earlier today. :twilightsmile:

Fitting that this died as Twilight's actual library blew up. Good to know that you're moving on to hopefully better things now. I think I just might check that group out now.:twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13