Tag-a-long's Book Club 510 members · 1,114 stories
Comments ( 56 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 56
arcum42
Group Admin

Is there a story you'd like to be in our group?

Well, this is our spot for suggestions, though you may want to glance at our guidelines first. Our story scouts aren't going to read all of these, so try to make sure you write a good description that catches our eye. Also this is for suggesting other peoples, fanfics, not your own. You can drop by this thread for self-promotion, though.

If you don't have a story to recommend, why don't you go down the list and thumb up posts with stories you like? The more thumbs up, the more likely it is to be read!

Only one story per post, please, and use this form, with the title being a link to the story (except in the case of Mature-rated stories):

Title:
Author:
Genre:
Description:
Why do you feel it should be in this group?
Name two things you like about the story:
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?

Title: The dark side of the sun
Author: Ocalhoun
Genre: tragedy/dark
Description: Behind Celestia's graceful smile and kind eyes, secrets are hidden with a thousand years of practice. The whispered legends of her depravity hide a dark grain of truth, hidden in the mists of time: the clash with Nightmare Moon left her with scars that will never heal.
Why do you feel it should be in Twilight's Library? I think it is one of the better written stories on Celestia's POV of the nightmare moon incident and it shows that celestia is still a pony underneath the perfect facade.
Name two things you like about the story: i really liked the character portrayal of celestia because even near perfect alicorns can't really have this kind of tragedy and walk away unscathed. I also liked the feelings this story brought out in me, i can appreciate stories that draw me in like that.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? It a good fic that is not too long and leaves you wanting more afterwards.

Title: your human and you
Author: Madmaxtheblack
Genre: SoL/comedy/romance/dark/AU/human
Description: Equus, humans have always been viewed as animals, creatures that could neither think nor reason. That's the way it has been since humans were first discovered nearly a thousand years ago. All that changes for Twilight Sparkle, newly crowned princess of Equestria, when she finds out that her human is as intelligent as she is.
Max, a human from Earth, finds himself stuck in a world where ponies rule and humans are treated as pets. Now, with the help of his "owner", he must adapt and learn his place in this new world. That shouldn't be too hard, right?
Why do you feel it should be in Twilight's Library? this story gives you a well thought out AU with a lot of depth. It is also not your standard HiE.
Name two things you like about the story: i really like how fleshed out the main character is, with his strenghts but mostly with his flaws. And the overall feeling of the story.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? I know it is a very long story but IMO it is well worth to give it a read. Even if you don't like the generic HiE this one might be to your liking.

Title: A wooden heart
Author: Trials
Genre: Tragedy/Sad/Slice of life
Description: Alone, a young timberwolf must try to survive in the wilderness. Survival above all else. That was what his mother taught him. But when he encounters 'monsters' that could apparently 'gobble him up in mere seconds', he begins to doubt everything he knows about the world.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? In my opinion this is a nice story and i enjoyed it much. This story deserves more views.
Name two things you like about the story: I like the fact that it is using a timberwolf's point of view and reversing the views ponies usually have for all things out of the ordinary. I thought the pacing was good and it really immersed me into the story.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? I really liked this and to be honest i would like to see a continuation of this.

Title: Foal of the forest
Author: moguera
Genre: Slice of life
Description: First of the Savage Skies series.
After running afoul of timberwolves in the Everfree Forest, Fluttershy is saved by a mysterious young colt with a most unusual and disturbing feature. Realizing that he is alone, without anyone else to care for him, Fluttershy realizes that she must try to bring this lonely foal out of the forest and give him a life of love and friendship. The problem is that this colt's...unique qualities have made him more than a few enemies, including some who are closer to home than Fluttershy realizes.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? The author created a very expanded universe with this story and its sequels
Name two things you like about the story: I like the premise of this story and the way the author created an entire expanded universe. I can relate a bit to the protagonist and i felt it captured the feelings of being different very well.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? it is the start of a series spanning 7 stories so far, they are a good read IMO

Title: The longest night
Author: Tundara
Genre: sad/slice of life
Description: Everypony has one 'Longest Night', a night that just never seems to end, whether they want it to end or not. For Celestia, her Longest Night began on the first night she had to raise her sister's moon.
Heartbroken and filled with despair that she may never see her sister again, Celestia makes a wish upon a falling star to see her sister one more time. Little did she realise that the stars listen.
Why do you feel it should be in Twilight's Library? I think this story is well written and the feelings of the characters are very relatable.
Name two things you like about the story: I liked the fact that they tie in twilight's ascension into this story and made it fitting. It is a good explanation why celestia knew luna would be back in 1000 years
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? it hit me in the feels and that doesn't happen a lot to me.

Title: Blind
Author: DarqFox
Genre: Romance Slice of life Alternate universe
Description:When I lost my sight, I became a recluse. I hid away, staying in my own world instead of out in the one meant for those with sight. But when Princess Celestia had me move to Ponyville, I had to adjust to a new walk of life, again intended for those with sight. I guess I'm doing okay, thanks to a certain pegasus mare whose kindness and gentle voice got through to me where everyone else has failed.
Why do you feel it should be in Twilight's Library? It is a sweet and gentle romance with a twist that i think people will enjoy.
Name two things you like about the story: I like how twilight and fluttershy are portrayed. i really like the pacing and premise of this story.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? In my opinion it deserves more views.

this will be the last one for now, please let me know if they were satisfactory so i know if i should continue and what i can improve.

Title: Seashell
Author: Winston
Genre: Romance, Slice of Life
Description:

My name is Sunburst, and I live my life alone, because I prefer it that way.
Not everypony does.
For some ponies, in fact, that's more like a long slow death sentence.
I've received orders to a posting as a royal guard. My duty as a member of the guard is to protect the princess. Traditionally, that's taken to mean against physical threats. Less traditionally, I'm coming to a realization that it may mean assisting in other ways - maybe even in ways she's not aware that she needs. Normally I would say it's not our place to intervene in personal matters. But when you see as plain as the hoof in front of your face that something is wrong, sometimes it finally brings you to the point at which standing by and doing nothing is simply no longer an option.
Day by day, I'm getting closer to that point.
I may have to make a hard decision. I don't know if this is right or wrong. All I know is that watching my princess suffer is impossible to bear when I'm supposed to be protecting her.

There's a lot to be said about this story, but I'll try to be brief. Seashell is a very captivating story told from the perspective of an OC, Sunburst. Unlike most OCs that you find in stories, Sunburst has a level of depth to her that makes her feel like she belongs in this universe. Overall, Seashell is a wonderful story that I believe most people will enjoy for one reason or another. If any of the book scouts here are looking for a very enjoyable romance and slice of life story, I'd highly recommend this one.
Name two things you like about this story:
(1) The superb implementation and blending of atmosphere and symbolism that most writers lack.
(2) Sunburst's more hooves-off role in the romance between Twilight and Rainbow. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoiling it for any potential readers, but it's refreshing and very well done.
I spent a good while considering what I wanted to post as my first recommendation for the book scouts here who are most likely going to get swamped with recommendations as this group grows in popularity. Seashell is one of my all time favourites, and to anyone I know that enjoys romance, TwiDash, and might be curious to see a well-written OC, this is the first story that I recommend. I hope people find this story as enjoyable as I did.

4027179 Can't second this recommendation enough. 'Seashell' (and its sequel) are horribly, criminally under-viewed! :)

arcum42
Group Admin

If you look in the Staff Selection folder under Winston, it's in there. The author is also one of my story scouts. :scootangel:

--arcum42

Title: Green
Author: Steel Resolve
Genre: Romance, SOL
Description: Rarity and Fluttershy have been friends for years, and every week they go to the spa. But after every trip, Rarity finds herself growing greener with envy over Fluttershy's beauty and grace, if not something more than just envy— and what might happen if she finds out Fluttershy feels the same way about her?
For me, 'Green' is the seminal RariShy fic, and sets the bar by which all other RariShy fics are to be judged. Extremely well-written, technically on-point all the time, and overflowing with deep characterizations and imagery that really immerse the reader in the characters' journey.
1. Rich, colorful characterizations that speak to the hearts of both Rarity and Fluttershy's being, yet as the story progresses, both of them are faced with the need to go far outside of their comfort zone, and in doing so, they display a side of themselves that even they forgot had existed.
2. Absolutely authentic romance, with a natural build from the ground up. A very good mix of adorable with touches of (mildly) saucy to keep it real and interesting.
This story has gone on for a long time, but I'll say this: It's one of the few stories in my shelves that I will drop nearly anything to read when it updates.

Would you believe I noticed this a couple hours after posting? :twilightblush:

Oh, well then. I'll just go over here into the corner and act as innocent as possible. :scootangel::facehoof:

Title: Humanity's Greatest Pastime

Author: soulpillar

Genre: [Comedy] [Human]

Description: A human is running Ponyville's first, heavily filtered, connection to the internet. It's only a matter of time before the ponies break through… and find out the truth.

Internet+Ponies=May the Shenanigans Ensue [insert maniacal laughter here]

1. You would think that humanity's greatest pastime would be something like YouTube or Video Games or just the Internet... Until Twilight looks for some... Er... things (You all thought I was going to say what happens do you?:rainbowwild:
2. The Main character's reaction... I broke down laughing so hard I was crying.

Although it has already been featured it's still an awesome story.

What are you guys waiting for READ IT!! :flutterrage:

Title: Jericho
Author: Crushric
Genre [Black] Comedy, Adventure
Description:

If you came to hear a story, I’m sorry to disappoint. I suspect this’ll just end up as one big confession, really. When you’re the first Teutscher to set hoof into Equestria, I suppose that’s to be expected. And when you’re the universe’s favorite chew toy, doubly so. Still, with enough wit, some Prussian ingenuity, a droll sense of humor, and wanton murder, I might just survive this. Then again, when you’re going up against an unending list of things like government conspiracies, that guardian angel who keeps telling you to kill ponies, psycho Equestrian girls with allophilia, a lunatic princess, the legions of the Inferno, the Equestrian culture itself, swashbuckling sword fights, and laissez-faire economists, you begin to realize why there’s a big “if” in the middle of your life.

Your thoughts/critiques/deathreats are welcome in the comments. Spoilers are also encouraged. If you don’t have anything to complain about, do please tell me what you liked so I know what worked.

Why do you feel this should be in this group?
It's funny, especially for a considerably grim fic. Then there's Jericho, the witty, sociopathic main character that would make you crack, regardless of the grim happenings surrounding him. Rumors say it that the Author is as insane as Jericho, which would explain why he's so greatly written.

Name two things you like about this story:
1. Black comedy. Plain and simple. If you like a story wherein the author purposely made one's tragic past into something funny, then this would be your cup of blended dead babies.
2. The characters. They're all well-written, from Jericho, your friendly sociopath to Cards, your favorite overly-abused butt-monkey of the story. Hell, even the villains are great.

Is there anything you want to add about this story?
It's the closest that I followed like a religion.

Foals Errand
Group Contributor

Ribbon awarded ^^

arcum42
Group Admin

That's what this thread is for. The recommendation thread is just for other people's fanfics.

--arcum42

4030605 Woohoo I was useful!

Title
The Railway Ponies: Highball

Author
The Descendant

Genre
Sad/Slice of Life

Description

I was still a young colt when I took my first steps into the world of steam engines and railroading. I was meant to sing the song of steel, the chorus of the railways. Despite the challenges, discomfort, and dangers, I wanted to be a railway pony. I wanted a fine steam engine like #3803. I wanted to be like Highball.

What I got? Well now, there's a story worth telling...

Because it's criminally underrated. It blows my mind that a writer like The Descendant, with over 2,000 followers, should barely have passed the 1,000-view mark for this masterpiece. It's one of the best first-person OC stories I've read and is remarkably moving. There's also a surprising twist late on in the fic; not everyone will agree with the path it takes, but it's undeniably interesting.

Name two things you like about the story
1) The OCs are wonderful characters, in particular (but not only) the protagonist and narrator, Highball himself, who grows and changes as the fic goes on.
2) The author describes the world of steam railways with real expertise and love.

This fic is under 25,000 words, yet in that time it builds a rich, full world and introduces a cast of great characters we come to empathise with. If there was any justice, this would be one of The Descendant's most popular fics.

Title: A Tale of the Sun, Moon, and Stars
Author: DalTRS
Genre: The author says alternate universe and adventure, and I'd add a slice of life tag to it.
Description: A look into the history of the celestial sisters, storybook style.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? It's well written, has a fairly unique premise, plenty of food for thought, and doesn't get nearly enough love.
Name two things you like about the story: I love it because of the unusual history it describes with no regard to fanon, and the lighthearted manner with which it explores that history.
There isn't enough of it. You're likely read the story only to be disappointed when you inevitably reach the end of the one and only chapter. It has a prequel and a short sequel, but they're both shorter and neither quite lives up to the original. I loved the idea of the third sister so much that I actually created a bookshelf just for things similar to it! After months of looking I have only found two other stories with her, and neither of them come close to doing her as well as this did.:fluttercry:

Title: Lines and Webs
Author:Airstream
Genre: Dark, Adventure, Fantasy Epic
Description: In a world where everything is perfect, Twilight Sparkle finds things seem a little off. Namely, everything is perfect. Too perfect. While researching the Sparkle family line Twilight comes to some world shattering revelations, and now the whole world is out to get her, even those she used to call her friends. This story explores some pretty heavy stuff, and nothing is sacred in the mind of Airstream. Be prepared for an epic adventure exploring friendship and betrayal, the dangers of free will, and the worth of one life over millions.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? This story provides deep, well thought out arguments for both sides that rip away preconceived ideas and leave you wondering who was really right in the end. It provides circumstances that twist the strongest virtues of friendship into flaws, and then beats Twilight over the head with them. There was a lot of work and love put into this, and it shows. The wordsmithing Airstream demonstrates is great, and there are very few errors to speak of for such a long story.
Name two things you like about the story: I love that in this story, nothing is too heavy to talk about. Both sides will stop at nothing to get what they want, and things get pretty freaking dark. It manages to tell the story from Twilight's point of view, and still make you doubt the morality of her decisions.
It's long. Like, really long. 161,000 words, 43 chapters, and two sequels. After the events of this trilogy, there's another series that's only just begun, the first book finished and the next one set to start any day now. Even after all that, I have no regrets and even wish there was more! If you start it, be prepared to settle in for the long haul because it grabs your attention and doesn't let go.

Edit: scratch that thing about grammar. It's got quite a few minor errors, but I didn't even notice them the first time through because I was too focused on the story.:twilightsheepish:

Title: There the bones lie
Author: Flint Sparks
Genre: Sad
Description:

Immortality comes with a hefty price. Stuck in this miserable, lifeless body I'm forced to endure many years in silence and isolation. The only thing I have to look forward to is a pony who insists on talking to me, even if I cannot hear her. I am a dragon, an immortal, the one who died for the one I loved. Who is this mare?
Perhaps her words will reach me someday.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? It is a well written story about the darker side of immortality.
Name two things you like about the story: I like the fact that it touches upon a sensitive subject in a good way. I also like the fact that it gives a good view of the nature of dragons.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? overall it is a good story it stirred something in me.

Title: Starvation
Author: Cloud Hop
Genre: Tragedy/Sad
Description:

There is no more love.
There is no more queen.
There are only the silent echoes of a dying hive, as a lonely changeling, cut off from the hivemind, ponders the fate that has befallen his brethren.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? It is a very touching story about the untold consequences of the love shield. I feel like it deserves more views and isn't that what this book club is about?
Name two things you like about the story: I like the fact that the changelings aren't instantly vilified like so many fics do. it stirs feelings of pity for the changelings.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? A good changeling POV story that I feel is unjustly unknown and unviewed.

Title: Of the hive
Author: Law Abiding Pony
Genre: Adventure / AU
Description:

In the wake of Chrysalis' failed invasion, a different hive breaks tradition and steps into the light to open relations with Equestria. The ever eager scholar, Twilight Sparkle, uses this truce as the perfect opportunity to learn more about this enigmatic race. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, she will learn all there is to know about what it means to be a changeling.
But will Twilight lose herself in the hive, or will she regain what she has lost? Only time will tell.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? Because it is a good story with a really expanded universe that is very immersive and it is well written IMO.
Name two things you like about the story: I like the fact that it delves deep into the changeling culture. It is a rather unique concept which i find appealing.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? A very strong fic and the start of a series i really enjoyed.

that is it for now, i will post more stories later.

Title: The New Crop

Author: xjuggernaughtx

Genre: Dark Alternate Universe Slice-of-Life

Description:

A long time ago, my family moved to Appleloosa, and we ain't had no luck since. We tried growing apples, but our orchards just never took right. Now, the bank's gonna repossess unless we can get some bits together real fast.
No, we ain't never been lucky, but in that ring, I don’t need luck. I’m one win away from saving our farm, and Granny says that tonight I’m fighting some fancy unicorn named Blueblood. I hear he's real fast, but there ain’t no way I’m losing with so much on the line.
This ain't gonna be pretty. In fact, I can just about guarantee it’ll be real, real ugly.

I'm reviewing this for the Pleasant Commentator and Review Group, and as soon as that review is written, I'm putting it up for a Masterpiece rating.
The whole thing's written from the perspective of Big Macintosh, and it's completely in-character. With many AU stories, characters remain as they were in the show or, if they have little-to-no screen time, stick with headcanons formed watching the show. It's a rare thing to see an alternate universe correctly affecting a character, and Big Macintosh has adapted perfectly to the different circumstances – remaining stoic and insightful while reflecting on the dark things around him in the same tone as his speech in episode three. He thinks and acts organically (boy do I like this word), and it all fits his world perfectly.
Oh, and it's an interesting situation to read, in my opinion. It's a fantastic example of Alternate Universe done well – perfectly, even. Just add it already.

Again, I love the characterisations, both of Big Mac and of his family. They're the best I've read; without contest. That's the first one.

Second, it really drew me in. Everything's well-described, and so much so that I could picture everything clearly as I read it. Now, the story's about boxing – the gritty, bloody, violent kind – and I know nothing about it, but the way everything was said, I knew what the author was saying. Despite being told to me by Big Macintosh, it was really shown. Sure, "show, don't tell" could be used against the fic because it is quite tell-y, but it would be more out of principle than necessity, 'cause the description is perfect.

Everyone who has ever written or will ever write a story needs to read this first, to understand exactly how much description is necessary.
It's also a really good portrayal of Big Mac and the Apple family in a bad time for them. While seemingly simple, there are a few layers to the story, shown in Mac's thoughts throughout. Sometimes, these thoughts have real-world results for BM, and it really helps drive it home that he and his family have had it hard and will continue to do so for the rest of their days.

It's a phenomenal piece of writing and I'll be recommending it for a long time.

If you disagree with me on anything, that's okay, but I really think this needs to be noticed and adored. It's fantastic.

Title: The Flight of the Alicorn
Author: Ponydora Prancypants
Genre: Adventure/Romance
Description: Rarity's exploits in "Sweet and Elite" set in motion a chain of events that will find the unicorn dressmaker taking part in the greatest airship race in the world, the Alicorn's Cup. Excitement will give way to terror, as Rarity soon finds herself the victim of a plot against Equestria, and shipwrecked far from home with her least favorite stallion, the boorish Prince Blueblood. Rarity will learn of treachery in Canterlot and abroad, and will have search for something of substance beneath the prince's obnoxious veneer as she struggles to not only save herself, but her entire nation.

The Flight of the Alicorn is a masterfully woven adventure that perfectly blends the elements of action, romance, suspense, and humor into a tale that even Rainbow Dash would have trouble putting down. I have not seen another adventure story on this site that is so perfectly balanced and paced.

1) The world building put in place is expansive and sweeping, and yet still feels firmly grounded in the the world of FiM that we all know, giving it that extra level of believability that many similar stories lack, and 2) the characterization of the central players is exquisite. The canon characters still feel like themselves even when facing down situations far removed from what they are used to, and the OC supporting cast is well-defined and memorable in more ways than one.

This story is the first of a planned trilogy, and it's a crying shame that the author hasn't had the opportunity to finish the next part of the tale, :fluttershysad:

Title: Millennial Heartstrings

Author: The Apologetic Pony

Genre: Sad, Adventure

Description:

Philomena's memories, in the time betwixt (though not exclusively) Nightmare Moon's banishment and her show debut: an epic adventure ensues.

. Written pre-season 3.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? Largely unknown despite its longtime existence on the site, Millennial Heartstrings is a story that presents an alien perspective in our language. As time goes by and as the world undergoes constant change, Philomena remains the story's only anchor, whose thoughts on all subjects drip with a sense of impending despair. How would it feel to be immortal and watch everything from family to home either undergo a radical rebirth or give up living? The author makes full use of Philomena's unique situation and her place in the canon to give the reader an idea of how to answer that question.

1.) The point of view of an immortal is implemented just right. There is not one moment where the merits and disadvantages of immortality are beaten on the head of the reader. Those qualities are only discussed in the context of Philomena's thoughts and actions; however, the extent to which they are discussed makes sure the potential of such a subject is not wasted.

2.) The author respects the reader's intelligence and anticipates a host of different interpretations from those who read into the details. Thus, the character is laid out entirely in the prose, allowing for some truly awe-striking narration and gripping immersion. At the same time, a greater amount of depth is added to Philomena's character than would otherwise be possible.

There is a reason why the sad tag is attached to the story. By immersing yourself in the story, you will be able to grasp the conflict at the heart of the phoenix protagonist, which is itself explored to its depressing ends. There are several epiphanies scattered throughout Millennial Heartstrings that genuinely hurt, since many of the ideas presented inevitably question whether living forever is really worth it. But if you are able to handle a few devastating scenes, then the story will reward you with a new perspective on common life problems.

Title: What The Heart Wants
Author: BubblepipeWrangler
Genre: [Dark] [Slice of Life]

Description: Octavia's cutie mark is a treble clef, but that is only her destiny. Her parents had a different plan for her life. Neither her parents nor her destiny asked what she thought. At the bottom of her heart, all this little pony ever wanted was to know that she was not alone against the world, and to play beautiful music.

This story is focused around an inner conflict I have not yet seen in any other fic. Also, it is mechanically sound of coarse.

First is that Octavia's emotional state is believably written. Second, while I don't dislike Octivinal, seeing a close yet platonic relationship once in a while can be refreshing.

Title: The Epic of a Diamond Dog

Author: Ravencrofte

Genre: Adventure

Description: To Ember, ponies are the boogie men, villains in story books, and alien creatures that roam the land. His perception is radically changed after he captures one alive; and they are nothing like he imagined. Now, to fulfill the promise he made to the pony, he will risk his life to get her safely home.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? This story is such a joy to read, I feel it deserves more love.

Name two things you like about the story: The combat is very well paced and exciting! The story itself is very unique and the world building is really interesting.

Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? There aren't enough good stories with diamond dogs as main characters, or at least in supporting roles.

4030956 I'll second The Railway Ponies: Highball. I don't think it's a perfect story, but it's definitely top tier. I think it deserves a lot more eyeballs that the relatively few it's gotten. For a guy with two thousand followers and a history of writing good stories, it's criminally under-read.

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

That was an EXCELLENT recommendation, and I've just read it and added it to the Club.

Yey

I'll recommend a few more when I have time. I doubt I'll have any as good as that, though.

Title:
Tales of Apple Scratch: The Lieutenant Cloud Kicker

Author:
Mariacheat-Brony

Genre:
Alternate Universe, Romance, and Human

Description:
Many years before the Equestria Games that made her bearer of the title of Greatest swordswoman in Equestria, Cloud Kicker's thoughts about her future were miles away from wielding the sword and even further away from joining the Royal Guard .
What did push her in that direction?
How did her training go?
Who did she meet along the way?
How did a young and carefree teenager become one of the most famous guards in the country?
This tale will try to answer those questions.....

This story is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!! The universe as a whole is well developed, and it deserves so much more love and attention than it has gotten.

1. CK (The main character) goes through such a shocking character transformation, but still remains herself
2. ERMAGERD THAT JUPITARION MAGIC!!!!!!!! ALL THE BUILD

Read it

Title: The Last Link
Author: Featherprop
Genre: Adventure
Description:

The Frostmane Territories is nothing like Equestria, and nothing seems to work the same way- it's wild, the seasons run on their own schedule, and the weather has a mind of it's own. Now an entire village has gone silent, and one pilot is tasked to get a doctor there to head off a looming disaster.
The terrain is fearsome, time is running out, and events past and present will challenge him when he has to make life-or-death decisions that will affect the lives of Ponies near and far. What will he do when the line between right and wrong is blurred?
Are there some mistakes you can never recover from?

Basically, it's "Equestrian Bush Pilots." If you know anything about bush pilots, then that should tell you there's some very interesting source material.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? It's criminally underrated and underviewed for such an impressive, well-written, and gripping story.
Name two things you like about the story: Funnily enough, the first thing that grabbed me about this story was the introductions to the first few chapters. Each chapter starts with a radio general alert, the kind of thing that the Coast Guard would put out when there's a notice, and they're written so accurately that (being from Alaska and no stranger to these alerts) I could hear the pop-fizz of static to go with that almost computer-generated-sounding voice. The second was that the writer nails the characters in this story. Anyone familiar with the rural north knows that to live there, you need to be just a little ... different, and this author captures that perfectly in their attitudes and personalities. Independent, tough, and just a little nutty. Capturing the source material so well and slotting it into Equestria was no mean feat, but Featherprop nails it.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? It's got some seriously impressive research and fact riding on it, from the details of how icing on a plane works to the way the radio and navigational systems work (in fact, I believe the author's notes link to his blog, where the writer lays out some seriously cool further explanations of how all this stuff works). If you don't walk away with an appreciation for that pilot at the front of your bush plane after reading this, you missed something. This is all in addition to the general gripping nature of the story itself as things move towards the inevitable.

Title: Twilight's library
Author: Ocalhoun
Genre: Crossover
Description:

Twilight struggles to find meaning in the universe, which most ponies call 'the Library'.

Why do you feel it should be in this group? It is a brilliant piece of writing that deserves much more love than it currently has gotten.
Name two things you like about the story: I like the way the author described the events happening to twilight. I also like the story idea and the fact that it incorporates a lot of ideas yet remain unbiased.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? this is a great piece of writing and it just deserves more views and attention than it currently has.

I don't want to sound demanding or anything but could it be possible to get a bit more feedback on the things we are suggesting so we can improve our recommendations?

I guess I'll jump in here.

Title:
The Paragon Guard

Author:
Kaptein

Genre:
Comedy, Slice of Life

Description:
There are twelve of us, four from each tribe. Twelve of the most elite and powerful guards in all of Equestrian history with one goal in mind: to protect Princess Celestia’s life no matter the cost. Error is not a word in our dictionary. We don’t comprehend the definition of failure.
Honestly, it’s not all that bad. Sure it’s tight out there - but we’re family. A close, knuckleheaded family of brothers and sisters bonded through putting up with Celestia’s nonsense. There’s not a thing we wouldn’t do for each other. The Princess knows it - it’s why she trusts us as much as she does. And why we trust the Princess as much as we do.

This is a well-written piece of work simply about the "boring" day-to-day life of working for an immortal, semi-all-powerful alicorn in the magical land of Equestria.

The flow of the story is seamless. Though each chapter is a different story told by a different guard, it does not feel disconnected from the concept as a whole. The comedy portion of the story is spot-on, too. The story doesn't play with hyperrealistic situations for comedy, but rather makes the comedy feel natural, as though it isn't trying.

Is good, and I'm a hard man to please.

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

The feedback comes in the form of the up or down votes for each recommendation.

The more thumbs up, the more likely it is to be read!

Winter_Solstice
Group Admin

This was an excellent recommendation, and I've added it to this Club.

Title: A Puzzle Unsolved
Author: PresentPerfect
Genre: [Romance][Sad][Crossover][Human]
Description:
"...Time was, you just had to figure them out. Solving the puzzle was half the fun."

"You solve a lot of puzzles in your day?"

"A few. Some more worth it that others. One was... especially rewarding."

"Know where she is now?"

"Of course I do."

"...I'm sorry, sir."

It has an unusual narration style, and is a good case of a crossover done well, where the reader can understand it with no knowledge of the crossed material.

It presents an authentic emotional journey on Octavia's part, which is more than most sad stories do. It does a good job of navigating an unusual narrative perspective and tense choice.

It had been inducted into Twilight's Library.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/177102/the-second-tiara

Title: The Second Tiara

Author: Fervidor

Genre: Tragedy, Comedy, Adventure

Description:

There once was a little filly named Diamond Tiara. This is the story of how she died.

...No, that's not quite right. For there was in fact another filly by the same name. Another Diamond Tiara, who lived. She was the second one. It's confusing, I know, but I promise it will all make sense in the end.

It all started on a perfectly ordinary day in Ponyville, when Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends were trying to stop an insane magic-powered golem from destroying the entire town.

This is the story of two little fillies named Diamond Tiara. The one who died, and the one who lived.

Takes place during season 4, shortly after Twilight Time.

Because Fervidor is a freaking genius and everyone should read the story despite whatever side of the fence they are on when it comes to Diamond Tiara focused stories. This story goes beyond what your average fanfic writer does. It makes use of a character and makes her a part of something bigger then themselves. It's a story within a story that even manages to throw in a life lesson/moral into the story.

You end up becoming invested in the ponies around Diamond Tiara, including those who aren't usually associated with her in either canon or fanfiction much. It shows a tragedy and goes about how not just a select few ponies react to said tragedy, but how it affects all ponies around the tragedy. They aren't forgotten after one scene.

Story belongs in a museum. Of literature. If one doesn't have this story in their favorites, it's a staple of a story. Top it off with such a unique tag that gets pulled off quite well. It might not be the best fic on the site, but it's certainly able to hold its own.

Name two things you like about the story: Zecora's rhyming. Silver Spoon being a SPY!

If you want you can just read a spoilers heavy gushing comment of my thoughts here http://www.fimfiction.net/story/177102/the-second-tiara#comment/5717754

Otherwise, it had some of the most genuine Pinkie Pie and mane 6 feel out of many fics that actually focus on the mane 6. Everypony just felt like they belonged to a community, an actual town. These are the type of "What goes on during CMC episodes" type of behind the scenes feel to it. This would have made for an incredible PART 2 to Twilight Time. Exceptionally so.

I do hope that any and all lovers of reading give this one a read whether it gets included or not. Don't let this one pass you by regardless of whether it has a pony you may not like or not.

arcum42
Group Admin

All right, adding it in. I just mainly wanted to read it again when I was a bit more awake and had less going on before deciding. I'd actually like to see more of the new Diamond, really.

--arcum42

Title: A New Dragon in Ponyville
Author: Vedues
Genre: Romance; Slice of Life
Description: (quoted from story description) "Ponies are dangerous. At least, that's what everydragon says. They'll kill anydragon who gets in their way, and steal dragon eggs to sell the newborn hatchlings into slavery. Cliff Runner isn't crazy. He knows he won't stand a chance if they catch him, but he's willing to take that risk if it means he can rescue his long lost brother."
Why do you feel it should be in this group?: It is an excellent story that is extremely well thought out, especially with dragon lore, abilities, magic, greed transformation, etc. It also details the culture shock from dragons and ponies interacting (and the subsequent misunderstandings) really well. It is a compelling read.
Name two things you like about this story: The thought and detail that went into the dragon's society and culture as well as all the OCs, and the in-characterness of all the Canon characters.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about this story?: It's awesome.

Title: Mid October
Author: calmcalmcalm
Genre: Romance, Slice of life, human
Description: Two people meet on a train. They have more in common than one may think. (quoted from the story).
Why do you feel it should be in this group? Just by reading it, you can see the care and attention to detail that the author provided. It's a beautiful tale told about two strangers meeting for the first time, and finding themselves.
Name two things you like about the story: the insanely good flow of the story, and the author's unique way of telling it.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story? I love this story, and I want to share it with as many people as I can.

Title:My Little Pony: Bizarre Adventures - Part 1: Ponyville Central
Author: LateBronyWriter
Genre: (Adventure), (Comedy),(AU),(Crossover)
Description: It's a story about psychic ponies discovering trying to recover a mythical artifact which can bend time and space, while they try and learn the truth behind it's origins.
Why do you feel it should be in this group? It's a well written story that reads well land has some pretty hilarious moments as well. I also though that the action scenes were pretty good and the character's 'Stand Powers' were an awesome addition to the story.
Name two things you like about the story: One thing that i kind like about it is that the story has longer chapters really seem to get the character's moods right. And the second thing that i like about it is that the story does a good job at being really serious and tense one moment and very funny and entertaining the next.
Is there anything else you'd like to say about the story?: I personally know the writer, so he sent it to me so that i would read it over and i actually liked it. Now i'm putting his story up here, not because he's my friend but because i actually believe that other people would like it too if they would give it a chance.

Title: Apogee

Author: CryHavoc21

Genre: Sad

Description: This is the story of a pony named Apogee. Gravity doesn't affect her the same way as other ponies.

It's a well written story, and although it does take some deep thought to read what's going on, it has a quite sad meaning. It's fairly new, but I feel like if it's left alone for too long, it will rot and no one will see its beauty.

Name two things you like about the story: The style (Journal-type), and the emotion (I could feel for the character).

Title: Gears in the Void

Author: Lab

Genre: Comedy/Adventure/Human/Alt Universe

Description:

In a world ravaged by the living dead, one man has outlasted those with far more strength, speed, and experience. His only advantages are his uncanny luck and peculiar inspiration. This inspiration has never led him astray and even promises a fresh start. All he has to do is build a strange device that follows no earthly science.

While Earth’s story might be over, this cog-jockey’s has just begun.

Lab has not only created a character that stands out as a person, but a story that keeps you on the edge of your seat while you try to keep your gut from busting. Few stories make an adventure with such high stakes equally funny.

1) The character's own humorous narrative
2) The ability to balance silly and serious
3) Realistic character interaction

Words cannot fully encompass the adventure that is this story. You will laugh. You will cry. You will clench your teeth (among other things).

Title: Dust and Harmony
Author: Kitsune Risu

Genre: AU, Adventure, Western

Description:

The signs have fallen. The notorious outlaw Raven Lune is coming back, and she's looking to take out a few good ponies in a bid for revenge. There's nothing left to do but for Mayor Celeste to send one of her best deputies to the burg of Ponyton to make sure Lune doesn't succeed. But to do so, the deputy is going to have to find a weapon - one whose secrets are buried deep within the citizens of Ponyton, its only purpose to destroy all whom stand in its way.

A weapon by the name of Harmony.

There are quite a few stories that try to set the story and characters of MLP in other settings, but this one does a truly masterful job of it.

1. The Characters
In many stories the author makes his job easy by defining characters only through their most prominent and obvious attributes. Twilight Sparkle is recognizable as Twilight Sparkle because she likes books, is nerdy, and has panic attacks when not on schedule.
This story's Twilight has non of these attributes, yet in many ways she feels like deeper and more true to her show persona than in your average story. There are not many authors that can make a Rainbow Dash that is clearly recognisable as herself despite being neither sporty, nor braggy in any way
2. The Suspense
The story does not shy away from huge plot twists, that at least I certainly didn't see coming and thus remains extremely suspenseful.
Sadly still unfinished. Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Comment posted by Dragonborne Fox deleted Oct 19th, 2015
arcum42
Group Admin

Hate to mention this, but this thread was actually for recommending other people's stories, not your own. You can, however, promote your own over here. We just have a different thread for it...

--arcum42

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 56