The Lunaverse 2,570 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 74 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 74
Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

I hope you know the drill by now. I will give out a theme and you have until the 15th of the month to write a one-shot story with at least 1000 words (no limit if you feel inspired) around that theme. None of the stories are meant to be canon with the rest of the Lunaverse so go nuts! Don't limit yourself to things that make sense. As long as we can recognize it as a Lunaverse story everything is fair game. Stories are to be left un-submitted until at least the 14th of the month, this way the front page will feature a new Lunaverse story at multiple time of the day, hopefully raising awareness of our group and its efforts. You are however welcome to link to your story here in this thread if you wish feedback before the deadline.

Now the moment you've been waiting for... the theme for this month's writing event is...

*drumroll*

First Meetings

Wether it be the first time Ditzy delivered mail to Fluttershy, or an hypothetical scenario where Duke Greengrass happens to have a chat with Pokey Pierce, or Cadence and Alula, any first time meeting between two characters, meetings that we have yet to witness ourselves, is fair game!

So randomly pick two character and see what kind of thing they talk about, what sort of hijinks they get up to, when they first meet!

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I'm thinking Pokey and Notary at some sort of conference, maybe done in a film noir style.

"The dame was standing at the bar, she had legs that went all the way up to heaven, all four of them."

They spend much of their time moaning about their bosses and not listening to each other.

Sort of like the Vir / Lennier scene in Babylon 5

"It makes me nervous"

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

I'll be a bit too busy this month to participate, unless I get a flash of inspiration and write one up in an evening, but good luck to everyone!

937305 Sounds good to me :D

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

...Screwball and Luna. I must do this. :pinkiecrazy: Oh gods why must I do this :twilightoops:

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

DT and Scootaloo.

I've wanted to write it for awhile, and now IT IS TIME!!!

HopeFox
Group Contributor

937468 Excellent! I knew you'd do it!

Hmm. I sort of want to do something with Luna and Granny Smith, but I believe we're trying to leave Granny's backstory (and age) fairly vague. Has Luna and Trixie's first meeting been properly fleshed out yet? I'll have to check LNLD.

Maybe Raindrops and Rainbow Dash. There's certainly a lot of potential there, since they don't get along well at all.

... or there is this Rule63 idea I've had for a while... might be a bit too long for a two week event, but it might be just the thing.

937512 Yeah, they met when Trixie's grandfather was dying, since Luna was a fan of his shows and was there when he collapsed on stage if I remember right.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

937608 937512

Well Luna was supposed to have gone to a lot of Trixie's grandfathers shows in disguise and I assume Trixie went to quite a few so she could have met Luna in disguise earlier and not known. In fact its an idea I have for the 3rd Doctor section of my Dr who / Lunaverse cross over story.

HopeFox
Group Contributor

937608 937645 Hmm. Interesting. I think I will leave that for someone else to write, though, since it should be a pretty major scene. I think I know what I'm going to write, now...

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

937305: Hee!

That reminds me of that idea in brainstorming a while back for a secretary/assistant bar in Canterlot (the Worn Quill, or something) where all the secretaries and private assistants of the various nobles/upper class elites/mucketty-mucks could go and relax and swap stories about what ridiculous thing their bosses had them do this time. I bet both Pokey and Notary would have very interesting stories in that regard.

Looking forward to this one!

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

The idea I had was a conference "Bureaucracy Wow!" and they would meet in a bar after and spend time trading stories about their bosses. I did have the idea of writing it twice from each others perspective but it might depend how long the underlying story is. Part of it would be that they spend the whole time without realising who each others boss is.

InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

I had a plan for something...

But then I realized it was crap and dropped it. Sorry, probably not joining this one either.

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

I'd be interested in hearing the idea.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

939793: I'm curious what you're idea was also.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Given that these writing events aren't intended as canon, there really can't ever be any bad ideas.

I haven't done much on this forum, and I'd like to participate, however, I have no idea. So I probably won't participate, but I still wanted to show my support.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I don't think I'll have time for it but would anyone be interested in writing the first meeting of Ditzy and Silver Script? Presumably it was when she first moved to Ponyville and was pregnant with Dinky.

Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor

Oh this is going to be fun :pinkiehappy:

So I've got an Idea for a fic involving Vinyl Scratch and Rarity meeting for the first time.

Now I bringing it up here because I'm aware that the Lunaverse tends to be accused of Mane 6 abuse in its story so I just wanted to check, is it still ok to write stories that poke fun at established traits of the Mane 6? Namely Rarity's more uptight moments and her reaction to when somepony pushes her too far.

Now this would be played for laughs with no intent to demonize either character but I'm not going to start something that's going to piss most of the community off (Been there, done that :ajbemused:) So I'd figured I'd save my self some grief and ask first.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

954790 In the context of this contest? Nah not a problem.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I'll definitely be contributing this time! I'm already plowing on through, in fact

Don't worry, it won't in any way, shape, or form be a sadfic. Actually, the complete opposite.

vazak
Group Contributor

Sadly my muse has taken flight so I can't participate again; still better than me trying and failing considering my last attempt :pinkiesick:
Wait a second; if it's a first meetings fic why is there a picture of an adult Dinky? Adorable little bit with Trixie and Dinky cheering. Sorry if this seemed rude at all i'm just curious.

HopeFox
Group Contributor

After a poor start, my story seems to be going pretty well. I should have the first draft finished by tomorrow, leaving a week for revision.

I really want to tell people what it's about, but I don't want to tread on anyone else's creative toes, since this is all non-canon anyway. It may be... a bit sad, but I will endeavour to leave readers smiling at the end.

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

I have a crazy idea... A really crazy idea... It'll probably end poorly, but I might as well try.

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

do it, do it, do it.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Blurgh... no time this month. But I'll try to get something out regardless.

I don't have too many ideas. There's one Blackbelt gave me, which I might try if I can wrest a few hours away from paper deadlines. There's another idea I had about Fragrant's and Mounty's first meeting (Fragrant relaxing on a restaurant patio a little ways down the Canterhorn, and Mounty 'dropping in' from an impromptu climb), but that involves the Courtiers so it's probably restricted. I also had an idea about doing PInkie and Bonnie's first meeting, although I'm not really sure where that would go.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

939793: Hey, you never said what your idea was. :-( What is it? If you're having trouble making it work, I'm sure we can help fix any issues.

I Thought I Was Toast
Group Contributor

hmm... not sure I should... when I say crazy and weird I mean... well I don't know what I mean, considering I'm not sure this "character" counts as a character... I had wanted to do a first meeting between Pinkie and Cherilee, but it sounded boring in my head, so I was like "This is Pinkie Pie... Knowing her she could somehow meet someone for the first time multiple times." And that's when this crazy idea spawned. "What if Pinkie introduced Cherilee to the Pinkie Sense?" by which I mean teach the Pinkie Sense sign language so the "nudges" it normally gives come out in an understandable format complete with syntax so it can talk to her and others.

Like I said... weird...

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

Pinkie being Pinkie.

Do it! I command it! :flutterrage:

If that's ok with you I mean:fluttershysad:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Pokey/Notary (A tale of two assistants) is more or less written and I'm thinking of trying Ditzy/Silver Script (Training Day) this weekend although that will be less time than anything I've ever written before and I've also started writing the third Dr Who chapter so I'm probably over extending.

InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

It was a terrible idea that I never want to talk about again. Either way, I would never have written it; I can't even update my own crap. Leave this to the writers who actually do stuff rather than the moron who's so incompetent he can't even string together enough sentences to finish a story that was 3/5 finished.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Please cheer up...

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

So, I finished I'll See You Soon. It may just be the most unabashedly upbeat thing I've ever written.

Anyone want to proof it?

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

Well if it makes you feel any better we could still use your story for representation in the House and taxation purposes.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

967815: Sure. I often wind up copyediting things for friends/for coworkers (since I know most of the obscure grammar rules), so I'm getting really good at it. I'd be happy to take a look at this as well

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

'Kay - I PM'd you a link.

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

I;m always up for proofreading. I do it often.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Humm, is time travel involved in this one?

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

It's odd as I'm writing a story about him but has Silver Script ever actually been described? He's only has a name in Family Matters and Hard Bargain and their the only stories I can think where he had a part?

I don't think his tribe is even mentioned, at this point I could describe him as a dragon and no one noticed yet.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well knowing is half the battle and now I do.

The SilverScript/Ditzy story might be off the table anyway. I got my time line mixed up and thought that Ditzy had started her job before she had Dinky. Looking at the Ditzy guide she's only been working for three years and I assume Dinky is much older then three.

Some reworking will be required.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

970695: It's non-canon, right? So that need not matter.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well, I'd like it to more of less fit with the universe. Reworking give it a bit less emotional punch (If she doesn't get the job she's left out in the rain barefoot and pregnant :raritydespair:) but it does mean that I have less of a headache comparing the ages of the L-mane6 (It only seems to work if Ditzy is several years older than the rest). I think reworking will work out.

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

So, none of the sane ideas I had worked, so I decided to just throw sanity to the wall and try to write a story where a young Pinkie meets Screwball... Also, Pineal glands :pinkiecrazy:

HopeFox
Group Contributor

970695 Mine plays around with that a bit too - I'd assumed that Ditzy was working at the post office since she moved to Ponyville. Well, I think I'll run with her taking a temporary job there before Dinky was born, and then leave the next several years ambiguous with respect to her employment. And anyway, it's non-canon, so whatever. :trixieshiftright:

vazak
Group Contributor

Are you planning on making this story canon? I mean it's your choice and all but. :unsuresweetie: My apologies if this is rude.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Which, my future-Dinky one? No, it won't be canon.

vazak
Group Contributor

ah OK then, thank you for the response and sorry for troubling you. :scootangel:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Well I'll be interesting to see our different interpretations of post office life if anything else.

I actually found that one of my role-play group had been a postman at one point, shame I didn't have time to ask him much about it, mostly he was complaining about health and safety.

HopeFox
Group Contributor

974555 Oh, my story isn't about Ditzy's work at all. It just covers a couple of months leading up to Dinky's birth, and I figured that she could take a temporary job at the post office until she was too far pregnant to work. Silver Script gets a brief mention, but no appearance.

HopeFox
Group Contributor

I've also just recently noticed that Ditzy Doo goes into heat in autumn, which implies that Dinky was born in late summer or early autumn. Which is unusual for horses, but whatever. :trollestia:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 74