Spike Fanfictions 2,960 members · 5,609 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

When it came to Spike the Dog as a character, I always found him to be charming and fun just like his dragon counterpart. In spite of this, I also noted that the Equestria Girls series never took the opportunity to make stories focusing on him or really develop as a character. This aspect as a whole, in my opinion, could also be why Hasbro didn’t end Equestria Girls with something more solid. Outside of Sunset Shimmer, they likely didn’t know how a they could further develop the Equestria Girls counterparts of the Main Six and Spike, as well as make them even more compelling than they already are based on the fandom.

With that being said, what would you guys want to see with Spike the Dog? What do you believe would be perfect for taking the character to the next level and encouraging more storylines for him?

For me, I was thinking that it’d be cool if he somehow became a dragon in the Equestria Girls world, permanently staying as one going forward. Along with whoever the other counterparts of the dragon characters are, of course.

But, what do you guys think?

Hasbro wanted the series to be more focused on Twilight. I never liked that since I rather it be Sunset more and yea Spike should had gotten some time

Outside of Sunset Shimmer, they likely didn’t know how a they could further develop the Equestria Girls counterparts of the Main Six and Spike, as well as make them even more compelling than they already are based on the fandom.

That's the basis of why many of us were disappointed with G4 in some aspects: Hasbro didn't have any concrete idea of where exactly to take the story in direction wise. They kept making up all of these interesting ideas and locations, only to do nothing to further elaborate on either the "How" and the "Why" of things in those episodes or settings. Along the way, this also seemed to extend to entire characters as well, with one of the earliest examples being Prince Blueblood and The Great and Powerful Trixie, who wind up getting replaced by Fancy Pants and Starlight Glimmer later on, instead of trying to build upon the foundations of these characters in their first appearance to make them feel more rounded instead of one-dimensional like the show put them into.

Could you imagine for a moment what kind of story could have been told had Rarity went to Canterlot during Sweet and Elite and instead of going to Canterlot with Opaline and seeing Fancy Pants and going into a predictable Liar Revealed plot, she goes to Canterlot on a family errand and brings Sweetie Belle with her and both of them run into Prince Blueblood and the episode served to actually explore aspects of Canterlot and how exactly Unicorn Nobility differs from normal Unicorns like Rarity and Sweetie are and they have to navigate the political landscape on their own in order to get something that is important to their family? If we can, we can also have this episode be one to briefly introduce us to either Shining Armor or Cadence; only to not reveal their connection with Twilight Sparkle until much later in the Season that would come as a surprise to the audience while also dropping hints here-and-there that build up to Royal Canterlot Wedding.

Honestly, I disagree strongly with much of what you say. What you’re proposing seems unnecessarily complicated, and the more emphasis gets put on things like world building, the less interesting characters get and the greater things start to get convoluted.

Perhaps, but why should we have two characters that share the same traits? Wouldn't you think it'd be more interesting if instead of Prince Blueblood be seen as this twit that we saw during the Grand Galloping Gala, that personality only served as an effective mask because he thought that Rarity was nothing more than a gold-digger that just saw him as a meal ticket, and that it was after the Gala when she met him again and he proves himself as a better Stallion who's more approachable yet doesn't go for romance at all?

It also fits in with how everyone is complex and not seen as just a one-dimensional caricature: a trait that isn't just monopolized by the Main Characters alone. It would help to breathe some more life into the world of Equestria because of this.

I'm writing a fanfic series of Spike, the first one is called Element of Greed, but after that, I'll do one about Equestria Girls where Spike from Equestria and Spike the dog will be the main characters.

And will be more of that in the future, For the moment, you can enjoy my other stories, which also have Spike as the main character.:moustache:

Perhaps. But, then again, Prince Blueblood was never a favorite character of mine to begin with. The idea you proposed was also, supposedly, used with Ahuizotl in “Daring Doubt” and that basically ruined his entire character.

There's a large difference between where it's used on Ahuizotl and when it could be used with Prince Blueblood: Prince Blueblood is a relatively blank canvas that only had his personality seen one time from one perspective: Rarity's perspective, and it was during the Grand Galloping Gala. Before that, she casually mentioned to Twilight about wanting to meet him at the Gala, and remember Twilight would have had some measure of interaction with Blueblood by-proxy through Princess Celestia, yet Twilight did not dissuade Rarity when hearing her talk about him. This opens up the possibility that the persona he showcased during the Gala was nothing more than a clever mask designed to deter would-be suitors and Gold-Diggers that only saw him for his wealth and prestige instead of his personality.

Ahuizotl on the other hand had already been established as the Villain of the piece multiple times by characters like Daring Do and Dr. Caballeron and their assistants and underlings; info that is chronicled in their collected published works over the years, so giving him that mask like the show did was always doomed to fail. The only way that it could have worked would have been through subjects like "Blue-and-Orange Morality": where through how bizarre and entirely alien Ahuizotl is from the Ponies, he feels that he is justified in violently protecting the artifacts located within the basin from the Ponies. Or, that he is a "Well-Intentioned Extremist": who sees an inherent danger within the artifacts that he safeguards and how he is unwilling to trust Ponies with them; viewing the Ponies as meager simpletons that could very well doom their world should they get their hooves on the relics he guards, either through direct means like experimenting on the artifacts without care, or through indirect means like making them easy-pickings for more insidious creatures that wouldn't have the Ponies moral compunctions. Which to be honest is a valid-enough reason due to how lackadaisical the Ponies are with holding onto powerful artifacts that could severely mess with the rules of time and space at a whim only for them to be stolen by a meager spiteful child that never learned to grow up.

This perspective also holds more weight when you consider what Ahuizotl was trying to accomplish in Daring Don't with the Rings of Scorchero: primarily using them to "Unleash 800 years of unrelenting, sweltering heat". On the one hand, this sounds like a doomsday plot; but due to the fact that its' only a threat to the Basin: "What do you do when there's crime in your neighborhood? You turn on your security system."

In whatever case, I personally never cared for Blueblood to begin with. One alternate universe comic also depicted him as a self-entitled snob and brat, which I believe was supposed to reflect how he was portrayed in the main canon.

As for the thing you proposed with Ahuizotl on how being a guardian could work…that honestly sounds too complicated and confusing.

I'm currently reading a story called Spike the Fairy. Doggie Spike lives in Equestria, utilizing magic to the fullest of his capabilities while continuing his studies to be the Guardian Dragon. The story is pretty cool of how the author utilizes both worlds of Equestria and Equestria Girls to the fullest. In Earth Land, you have Spike the Fairy. Equestria, Guardian Dragon. Pretty cool that the author is using both to generate adventures for the two to embrace in their corresponding worlds.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10