The Writers' Group 9,303 members · 56,564 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Been trying to think of something that sounds good as a stand in for ancient Rome specifically, but can't really come up with anything that sounds right. Any ideas for what cannon/non-cannon names are for a pony-esque Roman empire?

in terms of names I have no clue, but the old pegasi-civilizations before Equestria was made was very Roman-like, from their helmets to buildings.
If we assume the play is historically accurate of course.

Yeah I do kind of associate pegasi with that sort of style from what we see in the show. Pretty sure at this point that there's no cannon name for their civilization, so I'll probably just need to keep brainstorming it, thanks tho.

Flash magnus’s old legion

Ancient Pegasopolis.

I've seen "Roam(an Empire)" used many times since the early days of the fandom. It's not a name I especially like, partly because it's not very horsey, but it's been used a reasonable amount.

Ancient Cloudsdale is visually inspired by Ancient Rome. Zephyr Heights (G5) also draws heavily on a mixture of Roman and art deco influences.

I feel like there's not a ton of info on it though? At least from what I can find. I know asking the show to have lore on something like that is a stretch, but having a canon name would've been nice.

The Pegasopolis Empire could work, it doesn't feel quite right though for some reason. Like The Roman Empire has a kick to it that I'm not really getting from any of my ideas.

Yeah I've heard that one before too, but I kinda wanted to avoid using for the same reason. Still, it does seem to be a pretty commonly accepted one, so I might end up going with it.

I mean, The Cloudsdale Empire sounds decent enough, but I never really got the sense that it could be the seat of power for an entire civilization.

I referenced The Lays of Ancient Pone in a story once.
Reference

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Honestly they look more like Greek helmets. For Fluttershy maybe a Boeotian helmet and Dash barely could be Corinthian helmet (one mostly associated with Spartans) because the pointy part on her helmet could be a nose guard neither helmets look legionary or centurion like, at least not to me, no appropriate side guards.

I could be wrong though it was a decade since I researched. I can't even tell you if those columns are more greek or roman or most likely just generic ancient.

I would in the end go for ancient Pegasi being Greek simply for a shallow reason of "Pegasus is from Greek mythology".

It seems to serve this purpose in the Hearth's Warming story, mind.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12