The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,491 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Time for the next episode again!

I've got no idea who wrote this one. The name is obviously a pun, though. It could be Horse Play, as in messing around with some friends. But it could also actually be referring to a play, being performed by ponies, and I'd like to think it's gonna be both.

I'd also like to think this would be a Cutie Mark Crusader play, though I suppose two Cutie Mark Crusader episodes in a row is too much to ask for. This could be a school play, and they're being forced to include Silver Spoon and Diamond Tiara! Both are being a pain, but ultimately end up being vital to the play's success.

Okay, yes, I'd like them to bring back Diamond and Silver Spoon...

If it's about the mane 6, this'd probably involve Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, since they seem the most prone to horse play.

Anyways, whatever this episode is about, this is the thread for it! :unsuresweetie:

--Sweetie Belle

Cinder Vel
Group Admin

Obviously it is about Pinkie preforming the pony Hamlet with Twilight.

My money is on a Big Mac/Sugar Belle episode, given they're in the title sequence. I'd love to see more of the big guy being awkward around mares as well as a "Minor" detail growing, maybe have Applejack coming to terms with her brother moving on from the family?

That or some stuff with the friendship school, maybe a play at the school?

"Alas, poor Twilight! I knew her, a filly of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. She hath borne me on her back a thousand times, and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is! My gorge rises at it. Here hung those lips that I have kissed I know not how oft. —Where be your gibes now? Your gambols? Your songs? Your flashes of merriment that were wont to set the table on a roar? Not one now to mock your own grinning? Quite chapfallen? Now get you to my lady’s chamber and tell her, let her paint an inch thick, to this favor she must come. Make her laugh at that."
Act 5, Scene 1

IT'S TENTACLES.... wait... nope, nevermind.

The episode was okay.

I had a hard time watching it.

It probably would have worked better if they used Luna instead. Celestia should know Twilight well enough to suspect Twilight wouldn't tell her about her lack of talent; A Royal Problem made Luna struggle with being the public face of Equestria. They could have had the play about something like Luna making first contact in the Zebras (from the journal of the Two Sisters) and having Twilight think Luna should play her old self. Then you can throw in more pressure of having Twilight lie to Celestia on Luna's progress in acting. That way the reaction when Twilight says she is the worst fits better as you are not dealing with Celestia that has a long established character of being forgiving.

One thing I only just now noticed regarding the scene you have on display up there, the ribbons the Crusaders are wearing are attached to what makes each of them their specific race: Scootaloo's wings, Sweeties horn, and Apple Blooms legs (I suppose that is more or less defining of earth pony physical strength?)

Yet again, we see why Applejack is the best pony. Of all the characters, she was the only one with the courage to be honest with Celestia - if Twilight would have let her.

Dreadnought

It wouldn't have worked with Luna, since Twilight does not have the same relationship with Best Princess and would therefore have little reason to lie about her lack of acting ability. The entire episode was about Twilight's relationship with Celestia, and the fact that bookhorse still idolizes Sunbutt, still places her on a huge pedestal, and is unable to let go of that despite everything that has happened during the course of over seven seasons and a movie, and despite being almost her equal. The play was just the backdrop, the real story was Twiggy finally developing a more personal understanding of Tia as a person, rather than a mother-goddess figurehead.

The problem with Celestia is she had been highly forgiving. This is suppose to be the same Celestia that playfully trolled the Cakes in "A Bird in the Hoof" and didn't make a big deal about Fluttershy kidnapping her pet; the same Celestia that for presumably for centuries pretended to like the Grand Galloping Gala.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12