The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,491 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19
SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Alright, this is the official discussion thread for "Secrets and Pies", by Josh Hamilton.

It does officially air tomorrow, though some of you may have already downloaded this from, um, places. You might have already discussed it in the early discussion thread, but I said I was gonna do individual posts for these as well, and I am. I also haven't actually watched the leaked episodes yet, so I'm still semi-blind and making things up when I say what they are about, as usual.

From the title, this episode obviously involves Pinkie Pie. I'm getting the impression it involves Rainbow Dash too, which makes sense, since they are kinda pranking buddies. And from the title, I'd be highly surprised if secrets weren't involved.

Pinkie Pie has been both an enforcer of keeping secrets before, and also been bad at keeping them. I'm going to assume the latter, since none of the writers were there for season 1, and guess that it's about a secret about Pies. I suppose it could be pies, the type you eat, but I'm thinking more the Pie family.

Given that we have crystal ponies, maybe the Pie family are actually super rare rock ponies, with super rock smashing and growing powers, and have just kinda been passing themselves off as earth ponies for generations, and Rainbow figures it out. That'd be interesting.

Anyways, you can discuss it here, or obviously the early thread, and knighty usually does a site post for these things and such.

--Sweetie Belle

Rainbow Trash strikes again!:rainbowderp:

I didn't care for it much.

Where can I find this episode?

Comment posted by Enclave2277 deleted Oct 14th, 2017

You two might not be aware, but both linking to this stuff and asking for it is forbidden on this site, so I recommend you remove that before you catch a temp ban.

I'm watching it now

I occasionally forget some of the rules on here sometimes.:twilightsheepish: If I do post it, it'll be restricted to PMs from this point forward.

No prob, glad to have helped.

Like I said in the earlier combo thread, I legit found this episode hilarious.

Good example of how Pinkie is actually fairly smart when motivated, albeit in an odd way.

I found the first half tolerable, the second ugh. Not to my personal tastes, though it does make me want pie.

I'll be blunt. I find this episode stupid. :ajbemused:

How the hay does Pinkie not know that Rainbow doesn't like pie? Pinkie has files on everypony in town and knows the favorite treats of acquaintances, so it's a stretch to believe that she wouldn't pick up on one of her closest friends disliking a food. Wouldn't Rainbow have told her earlier, or maybe have told her what her actual favorite treat was so Pinkie would make that instead?

This episode could have been fixed with the simple explanation of Rainbow having liked pie at first, but just got sick of Pinkie baking them all the dang time, so she lost her appetite for them. Have Pinkie learn a lesson on dialing it back and Rainbow learn that lying bites you in the long run (without that stupid "it's okay that you lied to me because you were just trying to make me happy" bullcrap), and I'd have been fine with it.

Though, I will admit, the Evil Dash with Laser Eyes part was hilarious.

How the hay does Pinkie not know that Rainbow doesn't like pie?

Obviously, because Rainbow lied to her about it for ages. (To the point of apparently having refined the clandestine disposal of pies to into a goddamned art-form.)

Pinkie has files on everypony in town and knows the favorite treats of acquaintances,

Files that may be inaccurate since they rely on ponies being honest about what they do and do not like. Pinkie probably didn't even consider that until now, so of course she found it upsetting.

Wouldn't Rainbow have told her earlier,

Absolutely, but it's the kind of thing that gets harder and harder to admit to the longer you do it. Especially when it has a real potential of hurting the feelings of a friend. (Who is known for overreacting to this sort of stuff.)

It was the type of lie that demands an escalation of commitment to maintain, which is the worst kind.

(without that stupid "it's okay that you lied to me because you were just trying to make me happy" bullcrap)

What's so stupid about that? It's true Rainbow really shouldn't have done what she did, but it's also true she did it to avoid disappointing Pinkie, so it's not like she was being malicious. And Pinkie was absolutely justified in being upset about it, but the moral here is that it's probably a good idea to forgive your friends when they do really dumb things with mostly good intentions.

Well, I guess I see why you'd justify all the things I had gripes with. I just thought the episode was weak, especially this late in the game.

But, I guess I should explain why the ending scene rubbed me the wrong way. I get that they were trying to go for the "it was bad, but I understand and forgive you" thing, but the way they framed it made it seem like lying to spare someone's feelings instead of nipping it in the bud was a good thing. For me, it really killed the message.

I didn't like this episode that much. It had funny moments. The pie chute for Tank was adorable. But the resolution makes no sense to me. What was the point of the giant trash pie? I feel like it was just for a visual gag. This problem could have been resolved just with talking.

I said that the last episode was rehashed from an earlier one. Scratch that. This one makes that one look original. Why are they even trying to keep the show going at this point? It's increasingly obvious that they're out of ideas.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19