The Writers' Group 9,300 members · 56,457 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21

I can't bring myself to write down a damn chapter. The idea for the story is there, the scene is playing my head, and I feel ready to write. But when I do try to write, I end up not writing at all. It's getting annoying and i just want to write down the damn chapter already. Do any of you have a problem like this?

I already have a good scene playing in my head and i just struge to get it written out so the editors can look at it.

1212470 music

that is all. Or maybe you've over planned it. It's not as much fun if you plot every single detail out

What's the problem? Does it just seem boring to you, to do nothing but write?"

1212470 story of my life, so many ideas, yet i have trouble putting them on paper...i feel for u

I've had that problem for quite some time. I have no idea how to fix it. :facehoof:

1212470 Write little tiny bits at a time. Like 100 words an hour. Then, eventually, the scene will start to roll out, and it'll become much easier.

Go somewhere inspirational or different. Sometimes the best thing to do is write in someplace where there are no distractions. Also, disable your internet to type as well so you aren't tempted to do something else. Getting rid of those pesky distractions help.

1212470 remember to correctly label the thread!

I feel ya. That's been my problem for most of my life. >_>

Just start hitting the keyboard. Not literally, but just start typing whatever. It's therapeutic to me, at least.

Whenever I want to go work on a story, I find that the best place to start is to open up the chapter for work and just go. Once I'm there, I don't leave until it's done or something else comes up.

1212470 1212480 1212507
Try doing 100 words an hour. Doesn't have to be at the beginning of the hour, just do 100 words. Your mind will trick you and say "well, that doesn't seem like that much. I can get it done in 5 to 10 minutes." It's so simple, but it's worked so well for me considering I've started doing over 100 words an hour.

I usually write the stuff I like the most -- the scenes that have impact, the actiony bits, the easy bits, etc. -- and then flesh things out between them until the narrative works.

Maybe writing a good scene right after the chapter will help you figure the ending out, and you could work backwards from there?

Deadder
Group Contributor

I think I know what's up. I had a similar problem I think.

I'm guessing the scene you have in your story is something you really want to write about. But to get there, a 'bridge' leading to it must be built.

You need a few scenes before getting to the scene that's in your head, right? You need motivation to trek through that!

What Scarecrowbrad said: motherbucking music.

Two Steps from Hell is amazing for action scenes. Or anything in general. The music can turn anything 20% cooler. :rainbowkiss:

Except sex scenes.
I've accidentally read one while listening to Two Steps from Hell. :facehoof: It's an interesting experiment, but no.

Go forth and write!

1212574 Fuck yeah, two steps from hell! /)

121251 Just tryingto save you from imminent deletion! Might want to do it soon!

1212470 Write ahead, you said you have other ideas in your head, get them out to make room for what you want/need, then you can get and intergrate what you wrote ahead of time...

This is a point I'm only just starting to learn.

Because I tend to operate under a "make sure each paragraph is perfect before moving on" mentality, I tend not to write "drafts" per se. But that's an important hurdle I need to overcome; write it out, not caring how bad (I think) it sounds. Once I'm in the groove, then I can start tweaking and editing.

Good Advice. I'll the 100 words an hour with music, and not worry about the perfectness and stuff. Thanks

Perhaps the problem isn't the idea, but how to express it in words? Or perhaps the ideas come too quickly, so that you are unable to hold onto any single idea?

One thing a script writer for cartoon shows suggested to me was to record the thoughts in a sound file, works especially well if you are a slow typist (like me) or you have way too many ideas.

I don't worry about sequential writing. Just get the stuff out before it bottlenecks or worse, you lose it. No stress, just write. Doesn't have to be perfect or a literary masterpiece. Just get it down. Most authors go through countless revisions (and these are published authors) before they feel it's ready for the wilds.

Congratulations, you have writer's block. And not that common fake type of writer's block, either, the one where you just run out of ideas for a while. This is the real one.

I had it for like two years straight before I finally got better. Hopefully, yours won't last quite that long. Not sure what advice to give since I never found a cure myself, except I suspect it somehow relates to your enthusiasm. What you need, I think, is probably a project you feel very motivated to work on.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21