The Writers' Group 9,317 members · 56,713 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

This show has been running for a few years. It seems like the more episodes come out, the deeper the fandom dwells on their meaning. I don't know if it's just me, or if everyone feels this same way. Now based on the age of a large percentage of the fandom, it seems likely that MLP will evolve into a more complicated concept. There were a lot of people who loved the twisted alternate outcomes in the season finale, which may mean that the creators of MLP might make more money if the show gets deeper meaning. This is just a thought, what do you guys think?

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Well, My Little Pony has evolved before, given the different generations, so I think it's certainly in the realm of possibility. :pinkiesmile:

I really don't think it will. If anything, EqG was their platform to evolve from, while keeping the main FIM (nominally) "safe for the target audience". They really didn't do that, and I don't think they ever will. Frankly, I think Hasbro really has no idea what to do about the gamechanger that is G4, as it's pretty much tossed out the rules of the old MLP fandoms (hence why there are separate MLPcons and bronycons). If G5 is as popular as G4 is, then they might have a gameplan to evolve. But likely they'll ride this one into the ground, if only just to have research in case they have a phemonenon like this again in an otherwise fairly staid franchise.

5176416 What? Your My Little Pony is evolving!

5176416 We just hope there will be more explosions.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember, it's still marketed towards young children; that will put a limit on how much it can evolve. It has definitely evolved over its run, though there likely will come a point where it can't go much further without losing the people it's intended for.

I've though about how Celestia might die in the show, making the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good.

5176416 I'd love to see this! But it'll never happen.:raritydespair:

Hopefully the changes to come won't make those who followed it feel betrayed.

I don't know. In a way I think their might be already slowly introducing characters to build up on the next level. Having Starlight Glimmer be Twilights student and the introduction of Flurry Heart. Offers new paths to take. And with the announcement of that toy line Guardians of Harmony I'm wondering that something will change the entire show by the end of season 6.

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

It is evolving. Just look at who's writing the episodes. The old writers are gradually leaving, and the new writers are becoming older writers. Season 4, we were asking who Josh Haber was, an' now he's head writer. The next episode is by Joanna Lewis & Kristine Songco, and we'd never even heard of 'em before season 5. It's always moving on.

--Sweetie Belle

5176416 I think that's the intent of the new "Guardians of Harmony" toyline.

I don't know about "greater meaning", but yes MLP FiM will need to evolve in order to survive.
Fortunately it has an older fandom to achieve this. The question is does Hasbro want to evolve the franchise or are they quite happy to let it die a natural death once they believe it has outlived it's usefulness.

While the older fandom represents a significant portion of the community is it large enough support this "evolution ". Hasbro successfully evolved the Transformers franchise in recent years on the big screen aurgably creating a new fanbase in the process. I understand a big budget film is slated in 2017 for MLP FiM, on a par with Disney's "Frozen".
(Please correct me if I'm wrong ). This could be the creative vehicle to "evolve" MLP FiM if the bean counters at Hasbro are willing to take the risk.

Sorry to sound overly cynical about this. On a more positive note, if the above was to occur and was a true labour of love for all concerned at Hasbro then it could be something special in MLP Fim's evolution.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15