I Hate Equestria Daily 642 members · 641 stories
Comments ( 20 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 20

This story got accepted to Equestria Daily! Victory! They demanded some minor edits to get things a bit more canon-friendly

They demanded some minor edits to get things a bit more canon-friendly

minor edits to get things a bit more canon-friendly

:facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof:

Seriously? This guy can't be seriously counting this as a victory. If anything, it's the lowest any self-respecting FIMFiction author can fall. Equestria Daily is an elitist canon-worshiping cult that praise a select group of stories as gods, and shun all others. Why would anyone want their story on that website!!!!????

Also, note the CANON FRIENDLY part. It's called fanfiction for a reason, a lot of the stories on this site defy canon, and almost all of them piss on and rip apart at least two canon facts! AT LEAST TWO!!!!

Another thing is that I find it very angering when people attempt to get others to change something they've worked hard on. so that might be part of this rage.

Sorry, got a bit out of control there. But my point still stands, I am raging at this right now.

P.S. Normal? You're here too? inert figure of speech referring this situation to a planet of especially small size here, huh!

It's not entirely unreasonable.

AU is allowed to deviate from canon a bit, but uh... Mostly everything else should attempt to cater to canon. It's mostly characterization that people seem to focus on in relation to canon, so, they may just be referring to characters needing to be more like... Well, themselves.

So, not unreasonable.

EDIT:

Also, it isn't a bad idea to ask for clarification in regards to what they mean. No need to post a thread complaining about it.

I agree that it isn't entirely absurd; but if you are going to break the rules of canon, break them consistently. I don't have any problems with stories that go against canon as long as their is ample explanation and a logical progression.

But if they are talking about characterization, like you said, then I still think that it is reasonable. Characters from the show should be recognizable in your story; if you are going to play around with their personality that much, then make an OC.

Equestria Daily is an elitist canon-worshiping cult

Um, what? Aren't you here because of canon? Aren't you here because you enjoyed the show?

Lolk

Yes. I enjoy the show immensely, and I respect the canon facts like anyone would. But I don't think canon the next thing to god or something like some people do, and while I do like canon being followed in some genre's, I don't mind stories which severely deviate from it. In fact, I prefer AU's seeing as they give a wide sense of variety. Maybe that's just me though, I don't know.

Sure, but I'm not sure how "minor edits to get things a bit more canon-friendly" becomes "next thing to god." The logic jump here is pretty big.

One thing I've learned in my life, is that what is one thing to one person, is totally different to the mind of another.

In other words 'Minor edits', in the minds of the pre-readers, could mean all but one scene get's completely redone. While in the mind of the writer, it could mean a few tweaks done here and there.

To idiots at EqD, even the smallest of things could seem non-canon, when in fact it has been established as either canon, or not been addressed as either.

Um... That's quite the stretch.

2893799 ONLY two? Pfff. Newbs.

2894028 Fanfiction doesn't require 100% canonicity to be functional if at all. If it were, why aren't we signing up at Hasbro?

By "minor edits", I'd assume they accidentally did some stuff that contradicts canon without meaning to. That or they're contradicting canon without any real purpose.

Either way, it most likely doesn't affect the story at all. They accepted my story that goes extremely hard against the grain of canon on its first submission (with no edits). The only thing I think they frown upon is pointless contradiction of canon.

So essentially, this guy isn't allowed to be happy about being accepted to Equestria Daily because you personally hate that site and think changing his fan fiction to match the canon upon which it's based will compromise its artistic integrity.

That seems... oddly self-centered of you. Isn't it his story that he can do whatever he likes with in the first place? If he's okay with the changes requested of him, what exactly is the problem here?

I'm not saying he's not allowed to be happy, I'm just saying what I would be thinking in his shoes. If he likes the site for some reason, good for him. Let him be happy.

But why did you feel the need to interject that into his satisfaction with his accomplishment? Even now, you're phrasing your statement that he's allowed to like the site if he wants to in a very negative context. The way you say "Let him be happy" implies that you're still rolling your eyes and scoffing behind his back, which again begs the question of why you felt the need to turn his accomplishment into a self-righteous post here that's much more about you than about him. You're using whoever this was as a front to shout your own opinion over, and that's kind of a dick thing to do.

tl;dr why do you care so much about this guy being happy, and why does it make you want to share it here in a way that'll draw more attention to you than to him

oo

2893799 Getting pissed off in somebody else's name just doesn't ring well with me.

Why the fuck would you not write a story that works with the canon?

2896577 Well, perhaps its in canon or maybe something else entirely like in some Alternate verse. Maybe canon means something else entirely to them.

Comment posted by nodamnbrakes deleted Feb 24th, 2014

2894760 This GIF is god.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 20