Shipping 💖 9,763 members · 11,719 stories
Comments ( 39 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 39

Well I’ve been thinking about it and I’m kinda reluctant about doing AppleDash.

I’m hesitant mostly cuz of my past disappointment with how they queerbaited us for RariJack in a EqG special then jumped the gun with AppleDash at the end of FiM.

Keep in mind that I do like AppleDash shippings, I really do. But I just can’t help it cuz I’m more in favor of RariJack.

What do you guys think I should do.

PS Don’t even try and say I have bad taste cuz of this

7403757 Don't forget! Two different universes!

A shame human AJ has worse taste than pone AJ but hey, I'm not a judgey man!

Comment posted by sunsetshimmer_13 deleted Dec 29th, 2020

Why would you say worst taste between the two AJs

Just asking cuz you can ship Rarity with AJ as ponies as well

Echoing Timeman, why would you want to write a story that you're reluctant to write? Write something you want to write.

Thx
I’m not uncomfortable with it in fact I do love the ship
But it’s just that I’m more into RariJack

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

Ugh. You have such bad taste because of this. :trollestia:

Don’t think I don’t know about your RariJack shippings lol:rainbowlaugh:

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

Well, I never claimed I have good taste. :raritywink: But at least we share tastes, and that's worth something.

You know what I like you
Ima give you a follow:twilightsmile:

7403757 I like AppleDash, but it’s your choice, nobody can force you into it

I guess you’re right

7403806 If you want to do RariJack, go ahead, I like it a bit too, if you prefer it, do what you want with it :twilightsmile:

PaulAsaran
Site Blogger

Oh? Why thanks, but beware: I write reviews, and you have potential targets. :pinkiecrazy:

No. Appledash is almost as trash as flutterdash.
Also

how they queerbaited us for RariJack in a EqG special then jumped the gun with AppleDash at the end of FiM.

neither of those actually happened.

You seem friendly
Plus I WUV shippings so I wanna try out your shipping stories :3

Probably might get destroyed cuz of edit mistakes:twilightsheepish:

I’m gonna let it slide cuz you’re helping
Despite that you just disrespected a pack of misfit ships

Honestly, I've got some favorite ships. I love certain pairings more than others. But it doesn't hurt me in the slightest when I see or write other pairings. Because for me, it's the romance that's important, and how well it's written, not the individual participants.

I've always said that any ship works if the author does enough to build it correctly. With the right framework, there could be chemistry between just about any characters.

To be fair, I don't quite understand the odd sort of obsessive loyalty some people have to specific ships. People who get angry and downvote just because you shipped pony x with pony y? Whatever. Do what makes you happy. By blocking yourself off to only obsessively enjoying specific ships, you lock yourself off from the joy you might feel writing or reading something different and challenging.

I’m hesitant mostly cuz of my past disappointment with how they queerbaited us for RariJack in a EqG special then jumped the gun with AppleDash at the end of FiM.

The point of fanfiction is that you're taking an established canon, then running in a different direction than the original authors intended or envisioned. We've all seen themes/ideas/relationships explored, and explored well, that were never even hinted at in the canon show. I wouldn't let what they did stop you from doing what you want to do. Use what is helpful, toss out what isn't, and throw up an AU tag if it deviates too much. In the end, the important part is the quality of the writing itself.

I guess you’re right
Thx for the advice I think I might consider AppleDash in the future

Thx for helping out :twilightsmile:

They did queer bait us in Rollercoaster of Friendship

Also most MLP fans say AppleDash did happen and it was canon

Not really. They just slynodded at Rarijack. The post-skip scene is literally just an extension of their combative friendship through the entire series but if you wanna reach...

There was tweet from one of the producers and they confirmed that they were practically playing around with RariJack shippings and messing with everyone

I don’t know if the tweet is still there though

7403757 If you want to write an AppleDash story, that is ultimately up to you. Though I will state two things to consider: 1) there are already many AppleDash stories out there. 2) there are other characters that could use perhaps use a shipfic.

Just a thought.

1.) That's true XD

2.) I'm actually doing one ship that's really uncommon around here

The problem with AppleDash is that their personalities clash too much. AJ is stubborn, and she can't turn down a challenge. Rainbow Dash is too competitive. In the show, they almost hurt each other (and innocent bystanders) because of their competing. Now imagine they spent more time around each other, or even lived together. Competition would be their life. And the worst part is that no matter who wins, they'd both lose. Rainbow would resent losing, and would look for more things to challenge AJ at, and if Rainbow does win, she'd gloat endlessly until AJ got upset. We've literally seen this happen in the show. The stories that push them together are the ones that completely avoid this huge aspect of their ponyalities. The problem here is that, by avoiding this important part of their ponyalities, you're not writing them as characters. You're writing a watered-down version to suit the story. At that point, they're not even AJ and RD, but OCs with the same names.

Rainbow's competitive nature is as essential to her ponyality as AJ's honesty is to hers. It's literally the reason Rainbow wants to be a Wonderbolt in the first place. She likes to show off. She likes to be the best. In AppleDash stories, she can't be. Not if the relationship is going to survive.

I was just going to leave a downvote on your decision to jump into a 5 month dead thread, but:

ponyalities

Holy fuck, dude, that's hella cringe.

Appledash is trash, but you're making it look good by punching up towards it.

So, you decided to jump into a 5 month dead thread to apparently make fun of me for jumping into a 5 month dead thread, and yet you add literally no arguments or anything substantial to apply to the initial post. Though, to be fair, I don't think any of your posts have been substantial, so you're playing to your strengths.

Oof. I forgot all about this dead thread.

Anyways just don’t fight over here guys. I know I’m not boss or anything but even this thread is kinda irrelevant now pretty much.

Also Beanzoboy I can’t help but to say that your argument doesn’t really hold up here. I mean sure there’s the whole competition thing but remind me how many times that has ever gotten over the heads. Cuz I can only think of 1 time. There’s even the whole buckball thing but even AJ and RD don’t turn that into a huge fight as depicted in the original series of FiM. Besides the whole thing about competition and being the best, that could be RD’s personality but even that’s an insignificant trait to describe AJ because AJ’s personality is honesty and caring even a hard working mare. So this whole personality clash doesn’t add up here. And not to mention no one even tries to water anything down since the whole competition scene doesn’t apply much anymore so it’s not even worth saying that it’s OCs with the same name’s. The whole competition sense doesn’t apply to these AJ but somewhat pats it to RD to some degree because RD has more pride and hotshot personality but this barely applies to AJ unless she’s in a competition or so but to what I remember even the schedules of competition don’t align to AJ and RD in the same ring except the one episode I can remember. This argument you have here doesn’t make any sense when I think about it. You’re only accounting this argument just from that one episode but that doesn’t even help since at the end both of them admits defeat and tried to stick to more friendly competitions. Even then thru out the series there’s not another time that this whole feud retriggers. So even when it was canon for AppleDash to exist as a couple this would make sense since both of them promised to set aside their differences and admit their errors from their feud.

In season 1 episode 1, Rainbow Dash takes offense to Twilight's insinuation that she couldn't get into the Wonderbolts because she "couldn't keep the sky clear for one measly day", and then when asked to "prove it", Rainbow does. Yes, she's awesome. Yes, she can clear the sky in 10 seconds flat (and if you watch the timer while the scene plays, it takes 10 seconds flat for her to clear the clouds), but she didn't really have to prove it to anyone, until challenged by Twilight. She could have just said she didn't need to prove it. Twilight wouldn't believe her, but she shouldn't care because she knows the truth. Instead, Twilight's challenge stoked her competitive nature, forcing her to clear the clouds.

In Applebuck Season, AJ stubbornly refuses assistance from anyone because she perceived Big Mac's comment about her not being able to buck all the trees by herself as a challenge. This results in her working herself to exhaustion (which can be incredibly dangerous/deadly for oneself or others) and almost results in others being seriously injured (baked bads, messing up Rainbow's trick with the launcher, etc.)

In Fall Weather Friends, the main showcase of their stubborn pride/competitive natures, Rainbow states that she "hates losing" before she and AJ compete relentlessly. They even skirt/ignore rules in order to beat the other at the various competitions, resulting in their fight during the final race. Either or both of them could have been seriously injured in that episode, or others had they had the misfortune of being caught in the middle.

In Sonic Rainboom, Rainbow wants to win the "Best Young Fliers" competition so she could hang out with the Wonderbolts. She psychs herself out and gets stage fright, which is a pretty strange thing for someone that craves attention as much as she does. Until you realize that it's not the crowd that's the problem, it's that if she doesn't win or does poorly, she'll look bad in front of said crowd.

In Cutie Mark Chronicles, we see Rainbow perform the first Rainboom, and get her Cutie Mark. And while she loves the speed and the wind in her mane, what she liked the most was winning. It was the first event we see in her life to stoke her need to win. It's quite literally the basis for her character. It has literally been there since Season 1.

In May the Best Pet Win, Rainbow even turns finding a pet into a competition.

In The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Rainbow's need to show off brings Mare Do Well into the show. Rainbow tries to compete against "her" (them) to see who could save the most ponies. This almost results in lots of injuries because she cared more about the competition than actually helping, so a few ponies almost got crushed at the construction site, etc. The trolley wasn't really her fault, but if she'd spent less time trying to boast she could have tried stopping it sooner or getting the ponies off.

In The Last Roundup, AJ's stubborn pride prevents her from going back to Ponyville after she loses at the Equestria Rodeo Competition.

These were just a few examples of their characters from the first two seasons, and there weren't many more afterwards because there were fewer and fewer episodes about them as the show went on. But there was an episode in Season 8 called Non-Compete Clause, where their competition almost gets the Student Six killed.

That in turn doesn’t really goes towards it much. Sure there’s time of competition between them but not to mention RD and AJ don’t even try to challenge each other much anymore.

Plus even then like you said how the competitive nature doesn’t happen often anymore thru out the series only leaves room for them to carry on until S8 but then they try to correct their undoing promise (Tho I think some people considered that a plot hole). See there’s barely much competition between RD and AJ much is what I’m seeing when you make this claim. When both of them realized that their feud was causing potential harm to ponies then they promised to destroy their own feud then it would only leave room for them to develop over time and even (just a what if) if they started to date each other in the future and we assume their future selves are together.

*scrolls up*

Oh. You're the OP. You get to freely revive your own topics like this whenever you want.

I'm not really interested in rereading the thread to refamiliarize myself with the context. Appledash is still trash and I'm unwilling to give you a reasonable discussion.

Have fun with whoever is interested though. No need to to ping me again.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 39