Positive Ponies 3,472 members · 1,442 stories
Comments ( 41 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 41
23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

And the winner is......

Shrek

Once upon a time, there was a 1990 book written by author William Steig, Shrek.

Producer John H. Williams saw the potential of turning this into a movie, and Steven Spielberg bought the rights so that it could be done at the newly-founded DreamWorks Animation in the hands of its founder, Jeffrey Katzenburg. It was one of the first movies to start production in the new studio and it took a total of SIX years in order to craft the animation to make it look as best as it can be at the time with Pacific Data Images (PDI) , and to find the right voice of Shrek. Sure, some actors like Nicholas Cage and Leonardo DiCaprio passed on the role, but at least they did get SNL cast member, Chris Farley.

Unfortunately, Farley passed away in Dec. of '97 before he could finish recording all his lines, having only about 90% of it done. Soon, he was replaced with Mike Myers, who did the entire recording session twice. Myers finished recording the first round with his normal voice before recommending Shrek having a Scottish accent, which the crew agreed with and led to Myers re-recording it. However, this did cause DreamWorks to lose roughly $5 million on wasted animation. On a side note, nobody told Myers that he was replacing Farley, his former SNL co-star, reportedly making this revelation in 2012.

Originally, Spielberg wanted Bill Murray to voice Shrek and Steve Martin as Donkey but the studio scrapped that idea. Also, Janeane Garofalo was supposed to play princess Fiona, but she was fired from the project. A report stated that she was initially hired because her sarcasm would balance out Farley’s positivity, and with the change in the casting of Shrek, Fiona’s part needed to change as well.

One crazy thing to know is the filmmakers went above and beyond the call of duty for this film. Some members of the movie's development team took literal mud showers to study the movement of mud. Art director Douglas Rogers even visited a magnolia plantation for research...and was chased away by an alligator. :facehoof:

Originally, the opening song was supposed to be a whole new song. They just put in All-Star by Smash Mouth as a holder until the new song came in. Suddenly, when the test audience loved it, they decided to keep it in and later asked the band if they could sing the song "I'm a Believer" at the end of the film.

When the big green ogre came to the big screen on May 18th, 2001, it turned out to be one of the biggest hits of the year. Critics were praising the film saying:

"While simultaneously embracing and subverting fairy tales, the irreverent Shrek also manages to tweak Disney's nose, provide a moral message to children, and offer viewers a funny, fast-paced ride."

As for the box office, it was the 4th highest grossing film of the year behind Harry Potter and the Philosipher's Stone, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, and Monsters, Inc. by grossing a total of more than $484 million worldwide, $268 million of which was made domestically. On a budget of just $60 million, Shrek is one of DreamWorks' lowest budgeted films they've ever made.

It went to go on and be nominated for several awards, including a Golden Globe nomination for "Best Motion Picture for a Comedy or Musical", winning 8 Annie awards including "Best Animated Feature", and being the first ever movie to win in the new category of "Best Animated Feature" at the Oscar's, on top of getting additional nominations for "Best Adapted Screenplay".

Over the years, Shrek has become a pop culture icon. In fact, in 2007, Katzenberg stated that the first Shrek not only saved the company financially speaking, but that it gave Dreamworks Animation an image that allowed them to make popular films like Madagascar, Kung Fu Panda, and How to Train Your Dragon.

For a brief while, Shrek has "inspired" more animated films that spoofed fairytales with pop culture humor.

Shrek would become one of the biggest animated franchises of all time, getting three sequels, a spin-off, some shorts, a few holiday TV specials, YouTube videos, a Broadway musical that got nominated for 8 Tony's (winning one), and a 3-D theme park ride. As for the elusive fifth film, well for many years, DW would keep on saying that it's in development, but as of now, from what I know, the chances of that becoming a reality are starting to look like a fairytale. Pun totally intended.

Shrek's legacy would grow bigger and bigger nowadays due to being ruined celebrated by fans who grew up with the film, with countless of trippy memes, vile fan art shippings, and more.

From Cartoon All-Star to Meme Lord, what the Shrek happened? :facehoof:

So for our next poll:

Thumbelina = :duck:

OR

Titan A.E. = :rainbowdetermined2:
If you haven't heard of this one, LOOK IT UP, it's as underrated as Treasure Planet!!!

And just ONE comment is needed, thank you. :applejackunsure:

Bronie312
Group Admin

Shrek... such a classical. Greatest animated movie from which memes are taken from.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY SWAMP?!

:duck:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

For the poll, I must choose :rainbowdetermined2:

SHREK IS LOVE

SHREK IS LIFE

Comment posted by The Weaver deleted Sep 22nd, 2020

:rainbowdetermined2:

I put a button on it.

Titan A.E.

The only option I've watched. Treasure planet was fun. Do we vote here? I see no other votes...

ITS ALL ORGE NOW

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

It's funny, I never knew this movie was based off any book until doing a bit of research on the film itself. But it's stunning how one can expand the story while incorporating a few modern references. Although, most of the sequels would tend to overdo it in an attempt to live up to the original's expectations. Although if the films ended with just the second movie, I'm sure it would've been more than enough.

Unless they stay true to their word about a fifth movie even though it seemed the franchise ended strictly with the fourth movie, which wasn't one of the best sequels I've ever seen, who knows what truly is in store for the lean green fighting machine (As Donkey ever so puts it).

To me, Shrek is one of my favourites movies and a classic of animation. I also enjoyed the second and third installement; can't say the same for the 4th film, but still he became an icon of the popular culture.

I wouldn't mind to see the fifth movie if ever release in the near or distant future. Excellent review, and... :rainbowdetermined2:

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

In a way, this movie was the one that gave DreamWorks a slight edge over Disney considering that for a while they were only just getting off the ground trying to one-up Disney. They knew that the company would never think to put together a movie such as this and it shows.

Indeed. And thanks to Shrek, DreamWorks was able to surpass Disney for some years.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well yeah, for a while. I mean Dreamworks had some strong movies afterwards (With one or two exceptions) as well as several famous franchises. But if I recall, 'only' Shrek won the award for 'Best Animated Feature'. All the other movies that got in the Oscars were just 'lucky' to be nominated (Even that stupid 'Boss Baby').

Comment posted by Dramamaster829 deleted Sep 22nd, 2020

Dislike for not discussing Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life.

Peak of the franchise IMO.

Haha.

In all seriousness, Shrek has one of the most discussed and more interesting production histories out of any animated feature in the last two decades. And yet, I still didn't know that it was based on a book, so thanks for that! Learn something new every day.

That said, I always look at Shrek as when Dreamworks became more commercially successful but lost their original vision.

Other than some exceptions... their first 3 movies (Antz, Prince of Egypt, and Road to El Dorado) are a stark contrast from what the production company has become known for.

Or maybe I'm just nostalgic for 2D and more "2D-ish" animation. Just so beautiful to look at.

I ain't really a big fan of the sherk franchise but I really other DreamWorks like spirit: stallion of the cimarron

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Maybe when that's a choice for the next poll, you'll get your chance. But to be fair... I like that movie too (Especially Rain, such a beautiful mare).

Don't forget Esperanza (spirit's mom) she is sure a sweet and beautiful mare

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

I didn't forget about her, I just never knew her name or never found out. But yeah she is pretty. It's funny, I like horses and I enjoy riding them when my family and I go off on a trail. But my damn allergies... Unless I have taken my medicine I'm sneezing up a bloody storm.

Same my first book was black beauty by Anna Sewell, it was beautiful

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Oh yeah I know all about Black Beauty. I had the movie and it was touching. Although honestly, I'm more of a 'Black Stallion' fan.

I enjoyed it but black beauty and I cried when ginger died

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Ah yeah, the death of Ginger. Black Beauty's key to his heart and what happened to that tough bonnie.

Mmm... I'd feel the same way if the key to my heart died at the height of matrimony. Not that I see myself being in that place because the women I did fall for... Let's just say they 'broke' me, both of them.

To be honest I thought they would make a couple

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well unless someone were to decide to make an MLP FIM animation of those two ponies to determine how they'd look as a couple. The tricky part would be determining the cutie marks that match them to a 'T'. Unless they could be those 'rare' ponies who have grown up their entire lives... and 'never' had a cutie mark.

Probably one of my favorite CGI movies, even if it isn't squeaky clean. Sequels were pretty good too (though I didn't enjoy the fourth one at all), and the third has Dragon kill the main villain with her tail.

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

My goodness, guys! You're tearing me apart thinking other people are saying something, one comment is all I want. And this can be taken to the Chatting Circle. :twilightoops::derpyderp1:

Comment posted by 23 KM To Nerdiness deleted Sep 23rd, 2020
Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Well, 'technically' that is 'true'. Even though what killed Prince Charming was 'ironically' a tower, which was foreshadowed in the very beginning of the movie.

:rainbowdetermined2:

Listen, man. I really overlooked these posts at first, but now that I've been paying attention, I've been learning so many new things. New things that boil down to trivia that won't necessarily be useful, but interesting and neato nonetheless. Keep up the good work.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

At this rate, I'm looking at a pretty close finish as to which feature will be up next for discussion.

Well she tailwhipped the tower to fall on him.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Yes... again, 'technically'.

At least that made up somewhat for her absence from most of the second movie until the end (If you stay for the credits) and spending most of the third movie overpowered by the villains. In the first movie, she'd never hold back.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 41