E.R.A 378 members · 339 stories
Comments ( 40 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 40
A Man Undercover
Group Admin

“The Ending of the End” is and always will be what I consider to be one of the best episodes. I actually believe Discord turning out to be Grogar was a wiser move instead of it being the real deal, particularly because of how much focus was put on the Legion of Doom as antagonists and how useless and unnecessary having the real Grogar around would’ve been.

“The Last Problem”, though...I will admit that it’s charming, and “The Magic of Friendship Grows” is definitely one of my new favorite songs. However, the future events depicted in the episode were what I was bothered by, because there were things about them that I couldn’t help question and have a hard time discerning the accuracy of, especially the time span between it and Twilight’s coronation and how old some of the characters were. Too many questions also seemed to be left by that episode, and while there are some that I wouldn’t mind basing stories on...there are some that I’d like Allspark and Allspark alone to answer.

And these days, because of the brief scenes shared between Fluttershy and Discord, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack, people keep insisting that FlutterCord and AppleDash are canon despite nothing being shown to confirm that.

I have mixed feelings on both episodes. The Ending of the End has a few cool parts, but is overall rather fraught with issues, most but not all related to the villains. Last Problem has fewer egregious points, but still some questionable aspects, in particular relating to Twilight's ascension to rule. (The ships, on the other hand, are delibrately various levels of ambiguous.)

Lin

Yeeeeah, so many questions, especially their life.
Although Hasbro had said Twilight would not outlive their friends, how could we believe them when Twilight looked younger in the last picture.
But I still believe Twilight would not be immortal.
And the last song, everytime I hear, tears always run down.

Personally I hated the finale as well as most of season 9 it just has way too many problem's from discord being grogar and not getting any punishment for it to celestia and luna retiring for no reason to twilight having to leave her friend's behind to the dumb villain reform's that make no sense at all, season 9 is honesty just a huge mess

Both Seasons 8 and 9 were huge messes save for a few episodes and I refuse to acknowledge them as canon. As far as I'm concerned, this series ended with the 2017 movie.

to the dumb villain reform's that make no sense at all

Villains reforming? On Season 9?

Would you mind explaining who you're exactly talking about?

Most likely some combination of Garble, Dr Caballeron and Ahuizotl.

Caballeron, I understand. Garble, that one felt curious for me. But Ahuizotl? In my opinion, that reformation would have made more sense if we got to know what happened between that episode and that time when he appeared, earlier in the series, with the "800 years of heat" thing, you know? Because that was a huge change. Either Ahuizotl forgot about it or the writers did.

Alondro #9 · Jun 25th, 2020 · · 2 ·

The ending undermined the entire show. Discord proved that friendship was all just lies and manipulation in the end, and he could use his connections to get away with nearly destroying the world because his friends lacked any shred of common sense.

Instead of having the Terrible Trio grow and form a friendship and turn upon Grogar as they finally realize the ponies were right about the whole friendship thing all along (Tirek and Cozy were slowly getting there, and Chrysalis had to practically beat herself into not accepting it.) we find out Discord's been manipulating EVERYONE all along, and brought Sombra back from the dead (Soooo, Discord is literally Pony God)... who blew up the Tree, if we remember... which still requires explanation given Discord was so powerful he was screwing with Sombra without even trying... and yet Discord couldn't directly affect the Tree... the power scaling in this show became worse than Dragon Ball Super.

And then somehow the Student 6, who have no powers, managed to get all the other species together from REALLY DISTANT LANDS THAT SOMETIMES TOOK A DAY OR MORE TO REACH in a matter of a few hours (if I'm being really generous with possible places for time skips), as well as get back in time to save the day.

It was just BAD. Horrible characterization, a timeline that doesn't fit, a twist that makes no sense at all and makes Discord into a villain again and then lets him get away with it, telling kids they never have to suffer and consequences for making absolutely horrible decisions that could get a ton of people KILLED (gee, it's like real life now...)

And then there's the hypocrisy of him having the 3 'stoned' after having himself complained about being turned to stone on multiple occasions. He never takes responsibility for freeing all the villains, WHO WERE HELPLESS UNTIL HE LET THEM OUT AND GOADED THEM INTO THIS PLAN OF HIS. Hell, you can make a STRONG argument that Discord ruined their chance for reformation, as all 3 were in the most powerless of positions, where they could have finally been made to reconsider their lives.

So yeah, Discord lived up to his title of Lord of Chaos and Disharmony.

As for the final episode... it was just bland. It didn't really add anything interesting and was pretty much a standard set of 'happily ever after tropes', as with a lot of old series and movies which set their finales years later. Dreams came true, life was life, somebody's pregnant, leader of group is being leader to new protege, blah blah blah. Been there, done that a hundred times before. It left nothing but a saccharine aftertaste.

7256052 Ahuizotle and Daring should NEVER have been 'real', and that episode drove the point home so hard I got hemorrhoids.

7254748 And the movie didn't even fit into the series at all.

The ponies could have called upon the CHANGELINGS, DRAGON LORD EMBER, and FRIGGIN LITERAL GOD DISCORD for help... Fluttershy would have looked up at Discord, sniffled and whimpered, "They hurt me." .... Yeah, game over Storm King and Flipplederfboinkytwit. We'd have seen what an enraged Chaos God looks like, and likely been traumatized for some time!

But the movie couldn't stand on its own either, because if you'd never watched the series, you'd have no idea who the hell any of the main characters were, why they were important, or why we should care about them. The movie needed to jam a ton of background in there, and instead wasted time on a completely pointless pair of parties which added ZERO important structure to the plot.

Comment posted by Atea1793 deleted Jun 25th, 2020

I didn't leave my comment just to get a rant about how someone I don't even know doesn't like the movie. I was talking about how the last two seasons of the show sucked eggs...

There is a difference between talking about how much one dislikes something and listing off legitimate issues with the film. The movie is topical because it is the transitional point to the final two seasons. Their content could not exist without the movie.

That wasn't the point I was making. I was just saying that the last two seasons sucked and that the show (for me) ended with the movie. I didn't mention ANYTHING about what happened in the movie, nor any desire to discuss it...

Fair enough.

This guy is a group admin, really?
This guy!?

Which guy - the OP?

Garble reforming simply because he's smolder's brother and ahuizoto and dr caballeron's reform making no sense at all and completely ruin's daring do's character is just one of many reason's why is season 9 is such a pile of crap

Some reason he's unsuitable?

A group admin of the Fix Season 8 & 9 group thinks The Ending of the End was a good episode. "One of the best", even.
I don't know about unsuitable, but is sounds hella weird!

Perhaps there just aren't many applicants?

I want to enjoy the movie but with what happened to the Royal Sisters in it hindered it for me.
What happened to them really smeared a huge stain of failure on them.
They got taken out RIGHT IN FRONT OF EVERYONE in Equestria.
It stung so much worse for Luna's case for me. The movie is a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but the writers just shaft Luna there.
(Compared to the other shortcoming the royal sisters suffered from, this one is the worst of all aside from what happened to the sisters in the series finale.)
It doesn't help there instead of all of this causing some issues at least for Luna, maybe cause character development and resolve this.
But nope, it gets brushed aside big time. Like a wound that is just ignored.
I felt like Luna should consider the Storm King fiasco to be a huge great failure she suffered from, up there with how she succumbed to her darkness of Nightmare Moon.

It just so hard to live this down honestly..

Why should she consider it an especial fiasco? Everyone else got taken out just as easily, and she'd been taken out just as easily before.

How the whole thing happened is worse compared to the other times Equestria is in trouble before.
It was an actual invasion(like much worse than what the changelings pulled during the wedding) and everyone in Equestria got locked up and.
It doesn't matter if it happened to everyone else too, it doesn't make it less bad at all.
The fact she got easily taken out before either doesn't make this instance less bad at all
Being taken out like that infront of everyone and the fact Equestria practically fallen for 3 days(until the Storm King got offed) would made this failure sting worse than the others.

Yes, but the one most embarrassed would be Celestia. Unless you're suggesting Luna is in charge of the intelligence service?

At least Celestia had the whole bit with being able to protect Equestria for a 1000 years on her own
(I mean, no way no threats popped up during those 1000 years).
Luna sadly does not have that due to losing a 1000 years of ruling due to the NMM fiasco. Her track record looks worse than Celestia's in comparison.
I feel like Luna would take it worse due to since her return from the moon, she never got to succeed in protecting Equestria from a villain threat not even once. Either she is sidelined or she gets taken out if she does get involved. Practically forced to rely on the Mane 6 to save the day anyway.
Even after the Tantabus episode, that guilt of letting Equestria down and causing Celestia to have the burden of protecting Equestria alone is still there( I mean, if we didn't known about her guilt till the Tantabus episode, who knows what other issues she might be having within and keeping it underwraps). Not being able to even start making up for that due to needing to rely on the Mane 6 to stop some villains in the end should have some effect on her. The whole Storm King incident where Equestria actually fallen(for 3 days, but still) is worse than the other villain incidents previously. I just feel like there should be some ill-effects on her rather than it gets brushed aside.

Luna seems responsible for protecting Equestria from bad dreams more than invaders. And really, the movie was everyone's bad day.

Sadly with how the show handled it, it looked like dream-guarding is ultimately pointless in the end(yes it helped a few like the CMC on-screen but in the long-run.. eh..). Especially with how apparently Luna was willing to give up dreamguarding(despite its part of her freaking cutie mark and destiny) due to retiring, even though she only just returned to dreamguarding since a few years at most. And how the writers made it look like Equestria was completely fine with Luna being absent from dream-guarding for a 1000 years.

Even then, taking down nightmares is sadly not the same as actually protecting Equestria from villains.
In fact it just makes the whole "in your dreams" thing literal in some sense.

Even if the movie was a bad day for everyone, doesn't mean the issues had to be brushed aside though.
Some suffered worse than others in what happened there.

It's not really clear if she did give it up or not (like a lot of things regarding the succession). But it's true that if it wasn't necessarily for 1000 years it probably wasn't that important.

And if anyone's going to complain of being screwed in the movie, how about the Royal Guard?

Which is kind of a bad thing if it wasn't important honestly.
Royal Problem shows that so far the only duties she had was raising/lowering the moon and dream-guarding.
I think

The royal guards got serious bad luck when it comes to threats popping up(especially with some super villain like Tirek for example).
The writers should at least show off some stuff for them succeeding in doing. They don't need to take down a villain but at least have them not go down so swiftly. Like with the changeling swarm, have them still fighting the buggos. As for the Storm King, I don't know why they weren't seen at all in the movie opposing the soldiers.

It's important to the show - the core of several episodes - and in the end that's what counts.

And yes, exactly - and there could have been more resistance at the end, too.

Felt like there could have been more though.

Anyway, kind of baffling the royal guards are no where to be seen in the movie.
In fact I can just see if they were there, they might even get in the way of the Obsidian Orbs and Tempest might waste them all due to the guards ended up getting hit by the orbs in order to protect the princesses.
I am pretty sure a natural thing a royal guard in general should do is get infront of the royal figure in question to protect him/her from a approaching threat.

Perhaps, but it was probably Celestia who needed more eps, not Luna.

And let's just say Tempest is that good. But really, some kind of actual surprise attack would make Equestria look a lot less undefended than a massive airship fleet. Like, Tempest is a pony - why couldn't she infiltrate the city and set a trap for the Princesses?

A Man Undercover
Group Admin

For your information, everyone has an opinion on what they do like and what they don’t like. Obviously I’m one of the few who’s okay with “The Ending of the End” and has mixed feelings regarding “The Last Problem”.

The founder of this group promoted me to be co-administrator because he was impressed with my work in “A Moment of Truth”, and it was a position I was deeply honored to take on.

I said it on another comment, but I'll say it again:

Caballeron, I understand.

For me, Garble never felt like a villain; more of a minor antagonist, but that's it. Although I agree with his reformation being a bit curious.

But Ahuizotl? The writers could have tried making his reformation having more sense if they explained us things about him (for example, what happened with his "800 years of heat" thing).

Fair, it also makes it so the real Grogar, as some speculate, could still be other there, would make a great fic. I liked The Last Problem, but yeah, there are some bits we would need some more info on, cause it looks like a few decades have passed.

As for AppleDash, eh, more a FlutterDash guy. Applejack and Rainbow would butt heads too much to bother with romance. As for FlutterCord, its a nice ship, but I think it would be depressing for DIscord, unless he made her immortal or the like

Yeah, like, Ahuizotl is NOT a good guy in myth

I'd say either have him have been evil once, but then slowly reformed, only acting evil to keep up his reputation, or have his whole "I was good all along thing" been a ruse

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 40