The Break Away Collab Group 29 members · 1 stories
Comments ( 30 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 30
cleverpun
Group Admin

Call your dibs here, I guess. Be polite about it, ofc. I'm sure that, as ladies and gentlemen, we can all come to mutual agreements about whom does what.

Dibs on Luna

Cadance (cleverpun)
Twilight (Titanium Dragon) ✓
Carrot Top (Chris)
Moondancer (A Grand Wizard)
Rainbow Dash (Kai Creech)
Rarity (CCC) ✓
Starlight Glimmer (Winston) ✓
Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo (Sollace)
Derpy/Ditzy Do (FanOfMostEverything)
Chrysalis (nioniosbbbb) ✓
Doctor Whooves (Moosetasm)
Limestone Pie (Ceffyl Dwr)
Celestia (Morning Sun)
Luna (cleverpun) ✓

(Sorry if I missed anyone so far from the blog post, I can only do so much in a 30 minute break at work :P)

EDIT: some have also expressed concern about the first-come-first-served system. As I expressed here, I like the idea of people honorably stepping aside so everyone can get a character they want, but I am open to discussion on the matter. See my next comment for my other thoughts on the matter.

cleverpun
Group Admin

Here's another idea: what if we discarded all pretense of interconnectivity, and made each chapter a standalone? This would make the collaboration a series of interconnected vignettes, rather than a collaborative story following a singular shell of a plotline. This would mean authors have more freedom in how they present their conflicts, and it also means that everyone would be free to do whichever characters they wanted, even those already done by other people.

I like it, TBH.

I somewhat like the idea of it having a plot tied together - with the key bit being that the further along the chain you get, potentially the weaker the 'temptations' are.

Also I do want to do Sunhorse. Idea I have is a bit comedic, but at the same time works as a 'serious' piece.

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

I think a binding, overarching plot is definitely a good idea. If all else fails, we can always have the occasional pony succumb to temptation and recharge the Amulet.

Also, dibs on best pony. :derpytongue2:

Crack-Fic Casey
Group Contributor

Actually, could I change my pony to Rainbow Dash? No one's called her yet.

Sollace
Group Contributor

Any guideline on the length of the chapters? I know TD has already bashed out 3k in 3h but not all of us can really do that.

I don't know if my idea would fill 3k either. (Sweetie Belle and Scoots, btw)

Also, I like the idea of keeping an overarching storyline. It adds somewhat cohesion to it, though people'd have to pay attention to their start and ends of their chapters. However, that might be useful fpr giving people ideas to start their own chapters.

cleverpun
Group Admin

Well, I guess the general consensus seems to be in favor of having a discrete (if loose) timeline, so we'll go with that for now.

5900432 So, Rarity? :trollestia:

5900470 Yea sure.

5901730 You know that old writing advice, "As long as it needs to be"? :derpytongue2: TD wrote 3k words on one character, but I haven't read the chapter yet to judge whether that is a good length or not. My Cadance chapter was ~1.5k, but I have a somewhat blunt writing style, and I expect that to go up a bit in editing. It also intentionally had some non-essential scene setting (i.e. her interaction with Shining Armor and the descriptions of the room.)

I'd say the 1k-3k zone is a comfortable range, but it will all depend on the writer and their style. I'd say the 500-1k word range might be a little small, but I've read very effective microfiction which did a lot for that wordcount.

I think Violet Rose in The Dark already called Scootaloo (their post is a bit obtuse), put I'll put you down for Sweetie Belle.

Sollace
Group Contributor

Okay, that's fine~

I haven't started, so I can swat Scoots out for Apple Bloom. (might lose a reference to Home is For the Weak! though)

Moosetasm
Group Contributor

I think I actually have a pretty decent Dr. Hooves idea that I'd like to go with.

nioniosbbbb
Group Contributor

5900219 Here's my idea. Rather than calling volunteers to be tested by the amulet the amulet is enchanted to find strong willed individuals or individuals with exceptional abilities. Or the amulet could be enchanted to "listen to the strings of fate" and find a potential candidate per fixed time period. This would make sure that a)Strong individuals who affect the flow of fate are found b)Should disaster happen and someone accepts the amulet and its promises the amulet moves on after the alloted time avoiding permanent disaster and c)the individuals themselves are put to the test for a period of time giving time for one character to struggle with their own will and the will of the amulet.

Also I have a GREAT idea for Queen Chrysalis if you would have me.

cleverpun
Group Admin

5902484 I think that setup raises too many questions. Why do the princesses have the ability to enchant the amulet with such a specific degree of control, but not the ability to just destroy it? It seems a bit contrived.

That's not to say there's not some room for reinterpretation, of course. As I mentioned here, there is lots of leeway in how one approaches their particular character and chapter, provided they can justify it in-story.

Maybe take turns with the characters and see who likes writing who the best.

I think Violet Rose in The Dark already called Scootaloo (their post is a bit obtuse

Ah, crap. I take some 'me time' off from the site and I find out that my name is on a multi-user project list.

The reason I mentioned the Crusader's name in that blog was because I read a fanfiction story where the premise was about the CMC discovering the Alicorn Amulet and taking turns wearing it after the events in Magic Duel. Near the climax of this story, the Pegasus was the last out of the three of them to put on the amulet and refused to take it off, citing her burning desire to fly with Rainbow Dash as justification for its continued usage. (She takes it off shortly after, however.) It was an interesting tale at the time and I remember it to this day.

I can write a chapter on Scootaloo and how she might be tempted by what the cursed object has to offer, but I can't make any promises about quality.

nioniosbbbb
Group Contributor

5903609 perhaps but what if the amulet itself could find or attract those who needed/craved power?

cleverpun
Group Admin

5903639 I think the issue with that is that it creates to much extra work for not much benefit. Obviously, if a writer has a test run and doesn't like it, they should be able to change their mind (within a reasonable timeframe), but it shouldn't be expected or required.

5903655 Sorry. Like I said, your post was a bit non-committal, so I wasn't sure.

If you want to participate, we'd be happy to have you. But if you don't want to/can't, then of course you needn't feel obligated :twilightsmile: (Especially since someone else wanted to write Scootaloo anyway)

5903699 I think the fact that the princesses are presenting an eldritch artifact for semi-public interaction would attract plenty on its own :derpytongue2:

Good point. Perhaps find who the writer has written for before and found most enjoyable?

cleverpun
Group Admin

5904695 Well, that's the point of using self-selection here: letting writers choose for themselves means they either have some familiarity with the character already, or have some idea for what to do with them.

cleverpun
Group Admin

5908352 Added you. I'm trying to be lenient with timeframes, since it's a holiday weekend and peeps are probably doing stuff. Also I heard some show started its 7th season yesterday

cleverpun
Group Admin

5909449 I'm thinking final concepts next week, begin writing after that. I'm going to start a new thread soon to discuss everyone's ideas for their chapters and how they will fit into a larger narrative (but again, holiday weekend :derpytongue2:)

Winston
Group Contributor

5899706 Is it too late to join this? I have what I think is an interesting idea for Starlight Glimmer.

cleverpun
Group Admin

5917456 Added you. Be sure to present the concept for your chapter in the thread. Even if it's still rough, don't worry, that's why we're discussing everyone's ideas together :twilightsmile:

Dammit. Derpy went like hot muffins. :derpytongue2:

I guess I'll have to settle for Best Pony. :pinkiehappy:

Also: ping.

The fact you can't subscribe to threads is the most annoying part of Fimfiction...

cleverpun
Group Admin

5917866 So, Rarity? :raritystarry:

:ajbemused:

Well yeah, but Rarity sure is a weird way to spell Pinkie Pie! :pinkiecrazy:

nioniosbbbb
Group Contributor

5904389 Alright I've got a basic concept of what my story with Queen Chrysalis will be like. If you want I could pm you about it but I have to say that she'll likely be smashing someone's face with her hooves by the end of all this. Also it's likely she'll be one of the last, if not the last one to do this.

CCC

Hi

Sorry I'm a bit late with my reply, I've been... kind of busy with other stuff. I'd still like to take part, though; I've got an idea that I think would work well for Rarity. (It looks like she's still not taken by anyone else, unless I've missed something...)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 30